• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell happened to LucasArts and Star Wars games?

ZZMitch

I cannot believe Battlefront 3 is not out right now... such a waste.

One of my favorite games from the last generation was Battlefront 2

Dave Long

Banned
It seems to me that space combat is a wide open genre that someone could safely put a game into right now and possibly clean up if marketed as a "shooter in space". X-Wings fit perfectly as they are shielded (recharge mechanics people are familiar with) and can take a beating. Plus, you shoot at mostly unshielded fighters.

Just do a remake for heaven's sake. Provide online play and you're done. Instant money.

MattKeil said:
Haha, what? Yeah, Shadows of the Empire, Masters of Teras Kasi, Yoda Stories, Star Wars Chess, Star Wars: Rebellion, Rebel Assault, SW Trilogy Arcade, they really pushed forward and represent the pinnacles of their respective genres. The SNES games were playable but more in a "better than I expected from a licensed game" way.
well, Rebel Assualt was one of the best it's class. granted it's a shit class, but that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the best ones!

perhaps i went too far in saying it used to be some kind of quality guarantee, but since KOTOR I can't remember the last game that really felt like something special in it's genre. Battlefront was a good Battlefield clone. Empire at War was a good by the numbers RTS.

the entire X-Wing series was groundbreaking. Dark Forces, and Jedi Knight were too. the Super games were really good action platform games even looking past the license.

it's maybe not as hard a line as i suggested, but the quality of the major releases has dropped, even if i forgot about a lot of shitty secondary titles they put out back in the nineties :)

i don't hate the prequels by the way. it was a common complaint around the early 2000s that Lucasarts were making too many Star Wars games and the quality was suffering. they got things back on track for a bit circa 2003, but only for a bit, and when you compare the number of 'amongst the best in class' titles from the two decades i think the 90s easily hands the 00s their ass.

and that's even if we limit it to Star Wars games.

another point, Lucasarts themselves developed the best Star Wars games of the 90s. other devs developed the best Star Wars games of the 00s.

Christine

Dave Long said:
It seems to me that space combat is a wide open genre that someone could safely put a game into right now and possibly clean up if marketed as a "shooter in space". X-Wings fit perfectly as they are shielded (recharge mechanics people are familiar with) and can take a beating. Plus, you shoot at mostly unshielded fighters.

Just do a remake for heaven's sake. Provide online play and you're done. Instant money.

It's been about a decade since seeing anything resembling a serious effort at the Wing Commander/TIE Fighter/FreeSpace style of space combat game. In theory, the ground is about as fecund as it can probably get.

Which may be not very. I'm not bitter about it, though.
Yes, I am.

Salz01

I've given up waiting for another good star wars single person game. I think it's dead and cant be done anymore.

Lucasarts as a whole is a complete mess. How many times have they fired all of their internal staff and decided to outsource everything and gone on to change their mind? (I hearby dub this phenomenon to be the Lucasarts Cycle)

Hari Seldon

I almost don't want them to make a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game because I am not going to get the game I want from them. Going to have to rely on indies or the (rumored) return of Chris Roberts to video games to make a proper space combat sim. However I would take a next gen update to Jedi Knight. Those games were really awesome.

TwinIonEngines said:
It's been about a decade since seeing anything resembling a serious effort at the Wing Commander/TIE Fighter/FreeSpace style of space combat game. In theory, the ground is about as fecund as it can probably get.

Which may be not very. I'm not bitter about it, though.
Yes, I am.

Wing Commander would be so fucking sweet with this gen graphics.

gabbo

rhfb said:
I'd kill for a next gen Outlaws game... RDR was good, but not what I'd want from an Outlaws game (from what I played at least).

http://i.imgur.com/GDP94.jpg[IMG]

edit: And so this sticks exactly to the thread (I misread the title, thinking the op was talking about Lucas Arts games in general as well as their Star Wars games) the engine that is used in the Outlaws game could be used for another Jedi Knight game. There, stickin' to the topic at hand![/QUOTE]
This, a proper Indy game, and a new Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game, and I don't care how inept or shortsighted Lucasarts management is.

Top Bottom