• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What time do you start and leave work?

NYR

I just started a new job on Monday and am surprised to learn this office is very conservative. Most people come in at 8:00, take a full hour lunch at basically the same time and then leave at 5:00. They also don’t do casual Fridays, so should give you an idea of how conservative it is.

My old job was much more relaxed - you came in when you want and can leave when you put in your time. I was doing 7:00 to 3:00 and skipping lunch and just snacked/ate my desk. Most people came in around 8:00ish tho. This job was also 7.5 hours a day, my new job is 8 hours a day.

I’m definitely not used to getting in “late” and leaving “late”. It’s really effecting my mood, I find I have no time to really do anything when I get home, I hate that feeling that I am at work more than at home. I am so used to going to bed around 9:30 too that I still need to go to bed at this time now.

So, my question - what hours do you work and what’s your work environment like?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm one of the owners at my stone engraving shop. I basically do whatever I need to to get things done. Some days that means I'm in at 9 and gone by 3:30, and then today I worked from 6:30 to 6. It's entirely dependent on what projects we have going.

As for work environment... sometimes I'm over in our showroom working with customers on designs. Sometimes I'm in an office I just set up that is as far from the phones and other people as possible so that I can focus on projects, and a lot of the time I'm on my feet pounding on rocks on the production side of things, or we're out on a jobsite at a cemetery, park, or whatever.

gdt

Start at 6 am or so and leave when I’m done. Average is 2 pm. Sometimes that means a late day or an early one. Recently it’s been a lot of late days but it’s bouncing back the other way now. Plus I’m going on vacation this coming week.

Forearms

I usually get in the office between 9:30am and 10am, and then leave around 4pm. Most days this includes about 2 to 3 hours for lunch and various breaks.

I'd say I work about 4 hours a day on average. I love it. However, my commute is about 3 to 4 hours each day, so that sucks.

Depends on the timezones of any meetings I might have. Sometimes I am in at 5:00, other times at 9:00. (fortunately just a 5 min drive to work). Stay for about 8 hours usually. Longer if I take a lunch break.

9pm to 7am, 4 days a week, including Fri and Sat.

I don't socialize at all. When I'm off, it often ends up being too hard on my sleep to try and adjust back to a normal day sleeping cycle (more on that in a bit). Work accounts almost entirely for my contact with other people.

I'm up all night and seem to have been experiencing uneven sleep patterns lately during my usual sleep times, resulting in compounding sleep deprivation.

My work is short-staffed and I can't take any extended time off right now. I had a huge increase in my mood in July when I took a week off solid and adjusted back to a normal person sleep cycle for a few days.

I'm a 9-1-1 dispatcher, for what it's worth to know. The lucky part is that I work at a relatively small and quiet agency, but I'm often working by myself which means I have to juggle both phones and radios from time to time, so the actual incidents tend not to be stressful, but the multitasking can be.

I'm allotted 30 minute break per shift, with two shorter 15 minute breaks as well, totaling an hour of potential break time. I don't usually take advantage of this, because we're short-staffed and when I have to work alone, I can't leave the dispatch center at all.

Hrm, as I teacher I "start" work at around 5am every day since they is when I start prepping for the day, and then on average I leave school around 4pm.

Not including extras I do casually at home.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Start at 10am most days, done around 8pm typically. Sundays I work 8 to 8. I never take a break or sit down on any day, usually just stop for five minutes to eat a quick snack, then back to it.

Hexa

8:30 to 6:00 5/4/9. If I could skip lunch and go home early I would but we're not allowed to.

Keyouta

Leave the house at 6:20 to catch the bus. 18:20 the shuttle from work takes me back to town. 10 hour days. I get home at like 19:10.

Orayn

Arrive anytime between 8:00 and 8:30. Leave between 4:30 and 5:00. 8:30 to 4:30 is my actual shift. I usually do 30 minutes of overtime per day but whether I do it at the start or end varies a bit.

Hoping to get promoted again, become salaried, and have it be a flat 8:00 to 4:00 or 8:30 to 4:30.

Shadybiz

Get in around 7:30, hour lunch, leave at 4:30. We have "core hours," so we MUST stay until at least 4:30, otherwise, I would get in earlier and leave earlier. In my old department (same company), I was allowed to get in at 7:00 and leave at 4:00, which was pretty great.

Perk is that I can work from home on occasion, if needed. It's only a "once in a while" thing, though, like if you have a family emergency, or a repair person is coming, etc.

vern

Start at 930 am and if I get out of the office on time it's 6. That happens about once a month though. Usually I'm out with clients getting shitfaced until 2-3 am and then back in the office again at 930 feeling like garbage. It's not a healthy lifestyle but it's earning me a good living now so I'm sticking with it.

I usually get in about 11-11:30 PM depending on the day. Typically leave about 7:30 AM.

And I work by myself cleaning (due to the hour) empty offices. It's the best.

Tudor

I work at a large financial organisation here in Australia, and my usual hours are around 8:30am through 5:15pm as there is just so much to get done.

Previously I lived a fair way from the city with a close to 2 hour commute each way which was mentally killing me, so I recently made the move to a suburb much closer to Sydney which has improved my quality of life but is now killing my wallet xD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I get in about 9am. I'll usually leave between 5 and 5:30.

Used to be an hour later a few months ago, going in at 10am, which I liked a lot more, but I have a daily 9am meeting now, which will likely going on for months more.

I'm in software development, but not one of those shops that work their employees into the ground.

Swamp-dwelling bureaucrat.

I'm in by 9 (usually 9:15) and leave around 5 - sometimes, but rarely, around 5:30. Occasionally, I'll work on projects at home or during the weekend, but that's even rarer.

I don't take a lunch. Or rather, I grab a quick sandwich or salad and eat at my desk.

My commute is a 15 minute walk from my apartment.

At the moment, my schedule is from 2:30 pm - 9:00 pm MWF, and 2:30-10:30 TTh. There are some variations but it's not too bad.

Soon I'll be going to 6:30 am-3:00 pm WFSa, and 6:30-4:30 pm Th, and I'm pretty stoked. Only four days a week , yay.

Peccavi

7-3:30, but most people are 8-5 in my department (some of the salary people are 7-5 or even more). I do like having time to do errands after work, but I could do with sleeping in more.

Vlaphor

I'm a contract technician, but my hours are technically 8-4, unless I take a lunch. What this means is that I'm on the clock at 8 in the morning, but I'm rarely working then. For example, tomorrow I'm replacing a register sled at a Target, and it's about an hr away. I could leave later than 8, but I like to get an early start, so I'll probably leave around then. On the way back home, I'm stopping by another place to fix two issues, and then I'll be heading home. If I get home before 4 pm, then I find productive ways to kill time until then, if not, then that was my work schedule for the day.

Today, I worked 8 - 4:30, but a couple of days ago, I worked 8 - 4, then 830pm to 6am (installing a server and had to do it when the store was closed). This isn't common, and previous server installs took fewer hours (had a couple of issue with this one), but it goes to show that my hours are somewhat flexible. Still, I'm guaranteed 8 hours a day, M-F, regardless of what tasks they have for me to do (and I've generally had a few hours of OT every week for a while).

Skar

I leave at 8pm to take the bus and get to work at 9pm. I woke from 9pm to 7am and then I bus back and get home around 745am.

6 nights a week. I am on 60 hour work week currently. If I wasn't making a decent hourly wage I would never do this, but I do and I take home over 2k biweekly after taxes.

causan

6:30 - 3/3:30 depending if I take a hour or 30 minute lunch. I'm a system admin for a school district by the way.

Nelo Ice

Banned
8-4:30. I can really come in anytime around 8-9 and still get out around 4:30. Also damn at people skipping lunch. I couldn't do that for a full 8 hr shift. On school days I get in around 11 something till 5:15 and I skip lunch. Its a perfect jib while I'm in school since I'm just a file clerk and listen to podcasts all day while being left alone lol.

Strimei

Work starts at 8 on the dot, and I leave at 4:30 on the dot. Hour long lunch, at noon.

My bosses are both pretty big on us sticking to our times. Its not so much to be strict, its more that we don't get paid for any extra minutes we work beyond 8-4:30 (or 8:30-5 for half of us) so there's no point in sticking around. "Whatever you're working on will keep," that sort of thing.

120v

i'm in an environment where nobody really cares just do your job. they don't mind fudging the numbers a little to get you at 40 hrs a week if you aren't blatantly abusing "the system"

but i get up at 4 am to get a workout in, hustle back to my place to get dressed and then head off to work around 7. so even the lightest work days leave me winded... one of the reasons i could never have kids. by the time i get home i just want to drink beer and play games

Sobriquet

When I was in film I would get to work anywhere from 7 am to 5 pm. I would go home usually 14 hours after that, but sometimes as little as 12 and sometimes as many as... I think 22 was my record.

Google

I just started a new job on Monday and am surprised to learn this office is very conservative. Most people come in at 8:00, take a full hour lunch at basically the same time and then leave at 5:00. They also don’t do casual Fridays, so should give you an idea of how conservative it is.

What kind of company is it that you work at and what do the majority of the people in the office do?

I find it really interesting that in 2017 there are companies that still enjoy working this way.

Watevaman

I am in the office as close to 8:30 as I can be with however things go at home in the morning. I leave at 2:30 and start my second job at 3:30 and then typically get off from that job around 7. Mon-Thurs is this, then Friday is just the office job. Both jobs are very casual.

nahlakhai

Depending on the month, anywhere from 4:30am - 6:00am to 5pm - 9pm. I only get 4 days off per month. Being a resident physician blows in terms of hours (and pay)

psyfi

Banned
3pm till around 5pm Mon/Tue/Thu, then till 3 to 10pm on Wednesdays. An average of 16 hours a week or so. Then I spend my free time growing food, making food, and making art with friends.

Macheezmo

It depends on what city I'm working in. I work Monday-Friday and in most cases I leave around 8am and am back home by 1-3pm, 4pm on a really long day. Regardless of time worked we get paid for 10 hours though.

Top Bottom