• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was/is the best nu-metal band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
System Of A Down was pretty much the only one I liked.

I loved System Of A Down, but hated every other band in that genre. So I'll go with them.

I personally don't consider them numetal, but most people do. So I go along with it.

iamblades

Depends on where you draw the genre lines.

I've heard Deftones called nu-metal, but I very much disagree with that classification. They would certainly be the best nu-metal band by miles if you just go off what wikipedia calls nu-metal.

Also Sevendust is on wikipedia as nu-metal, they'd be number 2 on my list.

There are also bands like Fear Factory and Soulfly that were only partly nu-metal, they'd be high on my list as well.

The only unquestionably nu-metal bands I ever liked were early Korn and (Hed) PE. But looking back I think that was mostly because I was like 12. Even so, I was aware enough to know that Limp Bizkit sucked balls, even in the moment.

Ronin

The first two Deftones albums would definitely fit the nu metal bill, but they shook that with White Pony.

SikTh and Project 86 albums 2-5 are the only ones that are in my library anymore... popularity it would had to be korn though...

Irobot82

L.D. 50 is such a great album. I'll also give a shout out to Mushroomhead. Their albums up to XIII are good. Don't care for their newer stuff.

What I was just thinking this. These guys produced two of the best nu-metal albums

Sun Doesn't Rise, BWOMP one of my favs One more Day, Never let it go

XX and XIII are amazing albums.

Also obligatory I think Slipknot self-titled album.

Shit: Now I'll be playing those two albums over and over at work for the rest of the week.

iamblades

The first two Deftones albums would definitely fit the nu metal bill, but they shook that with White Pony.

Nah, even back then, they had more in common with shoegaze and new wave stuff than they had in common with Korn or Limp Bizkit.

Korn got me into heavy music so I'll always have a soft spot for them. But I cant listen to anything past Issues and select songs from Untouchables.

impact

Banned
Hell yes. Sevendust was way underrated.

People give Disturbed shit, but I like them, and I feel like you can hear how they improved as musicians and as a band with each album. I also really like their cover of Land of Confusion.

The vocalist in Disturbed is beyond terrible but I generally enjoyed playing their songs in Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Slipknot songs were fun too.

cj_iwakura

P.O.D. were a lot harder when they were underground, check out stuff like Selah and Snuff The Punk.

I'd still say them if they count, they never lost their touch. Sonny's also the nicest lead singer I've ever met.

Dishwalla

Banned
Who sings that song "I do it for the drugs!"? Have had that song stuck in my head recently, despite not hearing it years.

Nekofrog

Banned
Korn-LifeIsPeachy.jpg

still the best numetal album ever.

Soma

kinda wanna say deftones but mainly because they've moved away from that stigma much more successfully than a lot of their peers

They are all pretty bad tbh.
But if I had to choose...old Slipknot

Fake Edit: Holy shit, no. Deftones by a large margin.

EDIT: Bad Nu-Metal is BMtH and Of Mice and Men. The Plot in You is better as a Nu-metal act than a Metalcore act, but thats not saying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom