• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was/is the best nu-metal band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Mudvayne
Korn
Slipknot(early stuff)
Deftones(early stuff)
Limp bizkit
Coal Chamber
Soulfly

image.php

You were waiting for this thread, weren't you? ^_^

Dinokill

image.php

You were waiting for this thread, weren't you? ^_^

Slipknot is my favorite band. the ST and Iowa albums are metal masterpieces.

I still remember asking my grandad for money to buy the ST album after watching the Wait and Bleed video on MTV 16 years ago. Love at first sight :)

Manu

When prog-rock (Symphony X, Dream Theater) tries numetal:

Adrenaline Mob

John Petrucci has definitely used nu metal songs as inspiration before.

Like DT's These Walls and Linkin Park's From The Inside.

Or P.O.D.'s Boom in the pre-chorus and chorus of DT's Constant Motion.

Or DT's Build Me Up, Break Me Down and Red's Feed The Machine.

or Jaws of Life, from his solo album, and Limp Bizkit's Eat You Alive.

Darren870

Hahah, V-Mob. I had all their "cds". Wound up selling them though. Used to chat with some of the guys on AIM back in the day.

I used to love nu-metal. However, with all of it the first 2-3 albums were great and then it just went to crap.

Some of my smaller favorites that I also saw live:

40 Below Summer
Factory 81
Illnino
Dog Fashion Disco
American Head Charge
Nothingface
Unloco
Crossbreed
One minute Silence
Spineshank
Dope
Dry Kill Logic
Godhead
Ultraspank

Stopped listening to most of it in 2006-7ish. Basically when the bands 3rd cd would come out and the musical direction changed. Then got more into industrial music instead.

Still will listen to some of it at the gym, but yea, still rocking out my late 80's-early 90s industrial.

rashbeep

Banned
Old mudvayne is probably my favourite because of their rhythm section. Ryan martinie is something else on bass.

btrboyev

Deftones and 311? Come on people. Both of those bands have been around since the early to mid 90's and are definitely not nu-metal.

Greddleok

I love nu-metal in a tragic, nostalgic way.

Deaftones, Slipknot & System of a Down were my favourites as a kid. I hated Limp Bizkit as a kid because everyone liked them, but going back to the music recently...they're not that bad. Enjoyable at least.

Iorv3th

Faltimar

Is American Head Charge considered nu-metal? If so thats one band I like. I also like early Korn, Deftones, and HED PE. I like System of a Down but not sure if thats considered nu-metal.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn

SikTh and Project 86 albums 2-5 are the only ones that are in my library anymore... popularity it would had to be korn though...

Whoa whoa whoa

SikTh are fucking excellent, but no way in hell are they nu-metal

Early Deftones owns (though obviously White Pony and after is just on a whole 'nother level, stylistically and in terms of quality)

SoAD are excellent, though their legacy is a bit tarnished by the last couple albums (should have been trimmed down to 1 album and most of Daron's lead vocals should have been cut)

And god damn L.D. 50 was a beast of an album. A lot of the tracks have aged poorly, but it's a great nostalgia listen.

Slipknot's self-titled is always good fun, and I also enjoyed Vol. 3. Never really liked Iowa.

pablito

Deftones and 311? Come on people. Both of those bands have been around since the early to mid 90's and are definitely not nu-metal.

It's not a complete misnomer when it comes to their earlier stuff imo, in regards to Deftones. Maybe hard rock, with some nu metal songs sprinkled in here and there or something. Like Back to School, Engine No. 9, or Headup.

I don't use nu metal negatively, though. I love Deftones first 2 albums.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Around the Fur can certainly be argued as not nu-metal, but Adrenaline is so fucking nu-metal it hurts (in a good way)

I still throw on Root, 7 Words, Bored, and others every so often

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Whoa whoa whoa

SikTh are fucking excellent, but no way in hell are they nu-metal

Early Deftones owns (though obviously White Pony and after is just on a whole 'nother level, stylistically and in terms of quality)

SoAD are excellent, though their legacy is a bit tarnished by the last couple albums (should have been trimmed down to 1 album and most of Daron's lead vocals should have been cut)

And god damn L.D. 50 was a beast of an album. A lot of the tracks have aged poorly, but it's a great nostalgia listen.

Slipknot's self-titled is always good fun, and I also enjoyed Vol. 3. Never really liked Iowa.

SikTh is Nu-Metal as fuck bro lol!! I love SikTh, most talented nu-metal band imo. I think they have some new shit coming out soon too.

Calderc

I'm so glad One Minute Silence got a mention in this thread <3

And SiKth aren't nu-metal at all. They along with Meshuggah pretty much started the djent movement, which unfortunately became the 2010's own version of nu-metal.

Nekofrog

Banned

Korn and Deftones pretty much coexisted as sister bands from like 1991 to 1997. They were inseparable on tours and frequently guested albums. They were both numetal.

pablito

Korn and Deftones pretty much coexisted as sister bands from like 1991 to 1997. They were inseparable on tours and frequently guested albums. They were both numetal.

My first ever concert was Korn in 90s. I live in Sac, and Chino came out with them and did Wicked. Loved it.

Darren870

In what world is Incubus metal at all? I like incubus but would not file them in the metal genre. Unless they have some newer stuff that I haven't heard before that is much heavier.

Their first full album SCIENCE is definitely nu-metal. After that they got softer. SCIENCE is by far their best album and a great album all around.

wilsonda

All you need to know about the era of nu-metal is that the best nu-metal album ever released is the Scorpion King soundtrack.

I remember listening to this CD many times in high school. Good memories and it did have a good mix of nu metal for that time period. Also got me introduced to some bands I wouldn't normally listen to.

I'd say Deftness were part of the nu-metal scene, so they'd be my pick. The first Korn album was pretty great at the time, and I really liked Snot too.

Nekofrog

Banned
My first ever concert was Korn in 90s. I live in Sac, and Chino came out with them and did Wicked. Loved it.

I was in the San Jose bay area around that time. I regret not going to Family Values 98 at the time as I was too busy. I live 40 minutes north of Sac now and still haven't seen Korn as my tastes in metal have changed. Still really dig their first two albums and a few songs here or there afterwards.

I don't understand "numetal" as a genre. I see a ton of bands I recognize that mostly do not sound the same at all, yet we're grouping them in the same genre?

I mean, Sevendust, Limp Bizkit, Cold, SoaD, and Slipknot sound nothing alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom