• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosma

Banned
Just curious. I haven't been a member on these boards that long yet and haven't witnessed any major meltdown yet. February NPD was pretty big but the amount of meltdown imminent posts was far greater then the number of actual meltdown among posters.

So long time members, what was the biggest meltdown you've ever saw on these boards?

Dragon Quest IX exclusive to DS was pretty epic, as far as recent melt downs go. Like, 3 pages of posts happening every minute epic.

LakeEarth said:
Sega dropping the Dreamcast and going 3rd party. I don't think anything else reached that level of insanity.
I wish I were here for that. When I first read the news I was despondent. I needed a place to vent.

Instead, I went out and bought Floigan Brothers. :(

Tieno

DMC4 multiplatform was pretty cool.
Wii name.

Too bad I wasn't around for dreamcast/sega. Would have loved to see that.

Supa

Revolution renamed to Wii? Probably not, but still funny how many people felt stupid even saying it.

wii.GIF

LakeEarth said:
Seeing my DC post and everyone's recent events remind me how long I've been here :lol

That, and some of us just have much shorter attention spans (though the DC thing was before I was lurking anyway, so yeah).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am going to go with the collective insanity of last year's E3. Also, I wish I had been around during the Sega 3rd party announcement, if only to say "I told you so" to all of the unbelievers.

jjasper

LakeEarth said:
Seeing my DC post and everyone's recent events remind me how long I've been here :lol

That was probably the biggest one I remember

Also:
Both the PS3 and 360 pricing ones were big (as was the 360/PDZ unveiling)
C- was funny
DQIX is probably the biggest in recent memory
Megaton wasn't really a meltdown but was classic

LakeEarth

I don't think you guys realize how the DC thing went. These boards were majority DC supporters at the time, and the announcement came out of nowhere. EVERY thread on the front page was on the event, we're talking gamefaqs level craziness. Long-time members perma-banned, people screaming, server busy responses, mods locking shit down. 300 "madness" reference here. It was crazy.

Klaxon said:
Link?

8.8 was pretty funny in my opinion.
Can't link cause it was two GAF interations ago, maybe when we were affliated with IGN.

And you think 8.8-gate was bad, 6.8-gate was way worse.

Raist

Banned
GTAIV trailer going live.

5 pages of "omg omg teh hype it's coming woot", then 5 pages of "omgwtfbbq server down rockstar sucks lol"

Was pretty funny :lol

ToxicAdam

Since GAF seems to get larger (in size) every year, the meltdowns only get bigger. But Thursdayton will always be my favorite because it was completely bogus and made fun of Nintendo fans.

Juice

Raist said:

5 pages of "omg omg teh hype it's coming woot", then 5 pages of "omgwtfbbq server down rockstar sucks lol"

Wow, you must be new here.

DC meltdown was by far GAF's biggest. As far as meltdowns that weren't actually news, I still say Thursdayton :)

Tieno

Raist said:

"It's up on gametrailers.com"
"wtf, can't connect"
*gametrailers.com crashes*

"It's up at teamxbox"
*teamxbox crashes*
etc etc

JDSN

Banned
-Twilight Princess
-Anything involving Doom_Bringer.
-Aries and the thursdayton.
-Snake in Smash Bros.
-First Resident evil 4 scans (TEH APRILS FOOLS!)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ToxicAdam said:
Since GAF seems to get larger (in size) every year, the meltdowns only get bigger. But Thursdayton will always be my favorite because it was completely bogus and made fun of Nintendo fans.

What was the original Thursdayton?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tieno said:
"It's up on gametrailers.com"
"wtf, can't connect"
*gametrailers.com crashes*

"It's up at teamxbox"
*teamxbox crashes*
etc etc

It was fun watching the internet implode.

Raist

Banned
Juice said:
Wow, you must be new here.

DC meltdown was by far GAF's biggest. As far as meltdowns that weren't actually news, I still say Thursdayton :)

yup, couple of months (of most of 'em spent reading only, 3 weeks before activation ftl :p)

So that was actually the biggest I saw. With a couple of GAF wgoing down too with this trailer, forgot to mention it.

LakeEarth

Klaxon said:
Which game got 6.8?
Shenmue, most anticipated game for the DC at the time. Supposed to be huge, Gamespot gives it 6.8. HUGE uproar, gamespot changes it to 7.8, ANOTHER huge uproar. Good times.

Xevren

While not being the biggest my favorite will always be the spannuuuuund thread. Made me laugh for a long time.

Zelda: Wind Waker ---- I forgot what year it was at Space World (Aug). It nearly killed the whole world in a heart beat!!!!

THEN....

Realistic Zelda:TP at E3 in 2004.

LakeEarth

Shard said:
I think Gamespot won out on the call in the end.
True. Its just sad that they were the only major site with the balls to tell it like it is, and then when the uproar happened, changed the score like a wuss. So +1 for the reviewer, -1 for Gamespot people deciding to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom