• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 2011 edition. (56k)

Arkham City for me. A really good year overall though, sunk a lot of time into Skyrim, MW3 and BF3.

Arkham City was one of my favorite experiences of the last generation. Asylum was a good game but City really captured the feeling of what it's like to be Batman. All those gadgets, the open world, the colorful cast of characters. It's a shame how Knight turned out given the circumstances but City I believe goes down as the best game in the series by far.

SirNinja

Skyrim.

5+ years later, I'm still playing it, still discovering new things in it, and still putting ten thousand mods on it.

Gotta be Uncharted 3 for me. Maybe I have a terrible memory, but I don't actually recall playing many of those other games. Possible I was too deep in schoolwork. But in any case, Drake's Deception was a great experience.

Waji

I'd vote for Radiant Historia.

What a sad year... except if there was some more stuff from Japan. I don't remember.

Rathorial

Would be between The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings & Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I would probably edge out Witcher 2, just because that choice at the end of the first act altered in a huge way the entire middle act which was as a majority of the game. You went to a different area, interacted with different characters, and did different quests. Takes balls to let you audience miss out on so much content...balls that I've never seen Bioware or other big RPG developers have after Black Isle Studios + Troika Games died.

wow, I remember 2011 as being better but I guess really its
gotta be Portal 2 without a doubt.

Runners-Up: Skyrim, Bulletstorm, Infamous 2 (best of the series) and Super Mario 3D Land.

Beyond Good & Evil HD (PS3, 360)
Child of Eden (PS3, 360)
Dance Central 2 (360)
Forza Motorsport 4 (360)
Guardian Heroes (360)
Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3, 360)
Portal 2 (PS3, 360, PC)
Radiant Silvergun (360)
Rayman Origins (PS3, 360, Wii)
Sonic CD (PS3, 360)
Sonic Generations (PS3, 360)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (PS3, 360)
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
Yakuza 4 (PS3)

Toxi

Banned
Dark Souls is one of my top 5 favorite games ever.

The entire first section of the game before Anor Londo is a masterclass of interconnected 3D world design that I feel has yet to be surpassed. The lack of Bonfire warping meant that the developers had to actually consider how players would be able to quickly get to important NPCs or locations, and so we got some of the best shortcuts and connections between areas in gaming history. And at the same time, it also meant that exploring a new area felt oppressive, since you couldn't just hop back to a safe place any time you felt like it.

I really, really, really, really hope From Software returns to that style of world design some day. I love the other Souls games, but it's just not the same.

IC5

Dark Souls.

As someone who imported the Asian version of Demon's Souls and had played a couple of hundred hours by the time the U.S. Release happened: I was ecstatic to see that sleeper game get another entry. And it delivered. It isn't flawless , but no souls game yet, is.

Top Bottom