• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first video game?

SteveTR

What video game introduced you to the world of gaming? It doesn't matter what console it was for. PC, NES, Genesis, anything goes.

I believe my first video game was Prince of Persia. I must have been about three or four years old at that point. I didn't really know how to play the game but I just enjoyed pressing the directional buttons and seeing the protagonist move.

GamerJM

Banned
No idea, I think it was either Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, or F-Zero. Though from what I can tell it was most likely F-Zero.

Probably not my FIRST game, but the first one I REMEMBER, so it's moot: an old, battered arcade of Street Fighter II back in 1992.

Probably super mario bros, apparently played it at age 3 according to my parents

The one I can remember though ? Uh probably something on megadrive, I can't remember well

OddSockZA

The earliest I have real recollection of was Centipede on the Atari 2600, though I also have vague memories of Munchman on a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

Holy crap I'm old.

SteveTR

For a lot of people, a platformer was their first game. I find that interesting.

I makes sense, though. Platformers are generally pretty easy to understand.

Can't remember th exact one, I played games very early in my life.
Maybe the very first was some arcade game since I loved them.
The first game I have memory for is Super Mario Bros 3.

potam

Banned
Either Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, or RBI Baseball. My parents have a pic of me when I was 3 or 4 playing Mario naked. Was getting ready for a bath and ran downstairs to get in a couple of minutes.

WITHE1982

G24R_BoxFront.gif

HoraceSpidersGame3.png

Aged 3 when my dad introduced me to this work of art.

Horrace Goes Skiing.

My man!

Gries

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose for the SNES is the first one I can remember actually playing. That was back in 1994 or so, when I was 3 years old.

EdLin

Neo Member
Pong at a neighbor's house, then arcade games. I think Space Invaders was the first one of those I played, not sure, because I played them so much at the time. Also played an Atari VCS (2600) and Mattel Intelevision.in the early days. I've been around for all console generations and all generations of computer games from 8-bit onwards. (Though I admit I didn't play ping-pong using the front panel lights of an Altair, or games on a mainframe. Though Zork was a mainframe game port to my Apple II.)

The first I can recall was Doom at a family friend's house. They had children who were in their teens and I was like 6-7 or thereabouts (estimated). I didn't understand much of it but thought it was cool. Wasn't until a couple years later I was gaming on N64 at friends places and playing shareware games on the PC my parents got.

EdLin

Neo Member
The scary thing is that I bet there are people of voting-age who've only played Xbox 360 and PS3 era games as their earliest. Really anyone who hasn't at least seen the ugly polygons of the original Playstation era, much less played Mario in 8 bit glory, shouldn't be given legal majority.

DiscoJer

Skeet

I had an early pong machine (mid 70s) and it had a light gun with a skeet shooting game. I think it was a Telstar Marksman

bluexy

I remember three games that my mother played on DOS and which I mashed the keyboard of thinking I was playing a few times. Leisure Suit Larry and Aldo's Adventure were two of them, but before that there was a baseball game which I think was named The Slugger.

Then in 1988 they bought the NES Action Pack with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt, because I begged and begged for it. They probably regret that nowadays. ;)

Gold Member
Mine was Punchy on the Commodore 16. I was 5 at the time when my Dad came home with the machine, we ended up having to take it back to the shop 3 times for various faults preventing it from even switching on (they had awesome quality control lol).

He kept babbling on about how computers were the future of the world and I was completely non interested until he loaded up Punchy. That was it for me, every morning I would wake up and load that bad boy up quickly before my parents got up as my Mum was fascinated with some Spirograph type program and would kick me off it! I never understood her fascination with typing reams of code to make something she could do with my Spirograph in a few seconds, but then she was probably equally bemused by my love of Punchy.

Never looked back from there been a complete game nut ever since :)

Top Bottom