• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you like to see in Bloodborne 2?

Better online, better chalice dungeons or not at all (but trade them for more areas and bosses for the main game), a more cohesive in your face storyline: Keep the lore and interpretation but I'm sure that te first time none had the slitghtiest idea of what happened in Bloodborne when they finished it.
More side quests.
More The Old Hunters style boss fights.

Keep the amazing lore, gameplay, weapons, aesthetics, music, boss fight, enemy hunters (although we need more awesome non optional boss fights towards the end, I think the first half of the game had the best story related boss fights)

Well if there's going to be one, and that's a big if, I would like to see an interconnected world a la Dark 1.

BB is not interconnected?

Bloodborne-Map.jpg

Looks pretty connected to me.

BiggNife

They don't need to? Souls games are defined by certain design aspects and mechanics which are generally accepted by the community and From. In the same way Demons Souls and Dark Souls are Souls Games but not because they have souls in the title, because they share those aspects as does Bloodborne. But I mean if you and others are going to ignore that simply because there isn't a souls in the title that's fine too.
Also whether you want/ or "need" if doesn't change the chances of it happening. Miyazaki has already expressed his disinterest in continuing this style of game and if he doesn't want to do it it's not happening. He runs From soft now.

Well, I disagree. I look at a comment like "Dark Souls 3 is the last Souls game" and nothing about that says there can't be another Bloodborne to me - all it says to me is that Dark Souls 3 is the last game in the Dark Souls franchise, which Bloodborne is not a part of. They did not say "Dark Souls 3 is the last game we'll make in this genre," or "Dark Souls 3 is the last game we'll make in this style." Again, I think you're jumping to conclusions - where is your definition of a Souls game coming from, exactly?

And I said nothing about my "want or need," that was another poster.

But whatever. Time will tell.

Gator86

There won't be a Bloodborne 2.

Sony should absolutely do whatever it takes to get a Bloodborne 2 and I hope they do. I prefer it to Souls by a considerable margin. More than anything, From needs to hire someone who actually understands how to design a competent camera system. The current team working on it is just garbage. Otherwise, I'd also love to see 60fps and some way to respec, like in the last couple Souls games.

MrHoot

Just gimme more of the same. Fix chalice dungeons because I want good gems but they suck pretty bad.

Please just let Bloodborne expand its universe. It's a fucking masterpiece and it just needs minor tweaks and more content.

See, I never get that line of thinking. It's fanboy gluttony, asking for more dessert after an already copious one, no matter if it leads to indigestion. One of the reason it's a masterpiece is also because it's a really well self contained universe

"expand it's universe". Why ? What's there more to say? Souls 2 and 3 already displayed that past the initial title, From sequels don't say anything new and eventually you end up repeating yourself a lot, and in the process undermine previous entries like Souls 3 did to 2. No amount of additional content would make the game better. You'll just end a point where instead it stops being surprising and/or interesting and you're going through the motions.

I'd rather them dabble into something new where they can surprise us anew with a new setting and maybe different mechanics. Or if anything, remaster Demon Souls and apply some of the improvements from Souls 3 in it.

finalflame

Gold Member
BB is not interconnected?

Bloodborne-Map.jpg

Looks pretty connected to me.

Please, there are so many magic "dotted lines" for the connections in that image that you are either being intentionally dense or have never played DkS1 for comparison. Here, let's compare:

Dark-Souls-Map-1940x1931.png

The level of complex vertical connection and interconnected level design in DkS1 is unsurpassed in any other game in the Soulsborne series, DkS3 inclusive and BB inclusive. Dark Souls 2 shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

teiresias

Mechanically, I'd almost like to see From try their hand at expanding the gameplay to include non-running-start jumping that was integral to the combat as a new dodge mechanic. They could put in some actual platforming in that case and it really would be the 3d Castlevania we've always wanted.

Thematically, more cosmic horror please, less werewolves and such.

it is interconnected, but no one can agree it is interconnected as DkS1 was, that thing was connected to 2 or 3 other areas, hell, some were connected to 5 areas

The middle area there is connected to 5 areas.

I pride myself on my ability to count, you know.
Please, there are so many magic "dotted lines" for the connections in that image that you are either being intentionally dense or have never played DkS1 for comparison. Here, let's compare:

Dark-Souls-Map-1940x1931.png

The level of complex vertical connection and interconnected level design in DkS1 is unsurpassed in any other game in the Soulsborne series, DkS3 inclusive and BB inclusive. Dark Souls 2 shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.
There's a few more interconnections, but it's really not that much. It's really not as much a difference as it's made out to be.

Let's not forget the level design in Dark Souls is really not that great.

Is this a thing like "interconnections = automatically better game design" or something?

Yeah also let me say that "there won't be a BB2" posts are probably just wishful thinking for those who didn't like it.

Taking the "DS3 is the last souls game" line and pretending it applies to Bloodborne is mental gymnastics.

nemisis0

Another theme rather then the horror, horror isn't my thing so it kind of put me of the game :(

Greek mythology setting would be amazing :0

ApharmdX

Banned
I'd like to see more magic and ranged options. I can understand not making tankier setups with a shield because that ruins the purpose of Bloodborne. But the lack of build variety compared to Dark Souls was a bummer.

I want:

-60 FPS on neo
-Better Chalice dungeons
-Dark Souls 1 tier level design
-Better net code :)lol)
-Shit like Cuthulu,Yog Sogoth and nyarlathoptep as bosses
-Magic or at least some alternative to magic (better fire arms would be great)

Yes, yes, fuck yes!

I know a lot of people want Sci-fi souls, but I think it would work a lot better if that setting was in bloodborne, based on the lore. So.. I want sci-fi Bloodborne!

If they continue there Dark Souls release schedule (I know DkS 3 was the last Souls game) that would make Bloodborne 2 come out next year correct?

Also, Bloodborne felt SUPER connected to me. Like when you were in the woods then popped up in Yharnam? YES PLEASE. DkS3 never gave me that feeling which is why I put BB over it. Just starting my first run of DkS1 right now so let's take a gander.

MrHoot

Honestly I was more interested when Miyazaki said he wanted to do something more like Ico.

I kinda want from to use it's creativity and move away from like challenging games and go into something more mellow and brainy. Not that I dislike challenge, I love it. But that formula is now so predictable now

DaMoo

Neo Member
Another theme rather then the horror, horror isn't my thing so it kind of put me of the game :(

Isn't horror pretty much baked right into the aesthetic of the game? I don't think it makes sense to have a game titled "Bloodborne 2" if the aesthetic is completely different. Perhaps you'd rather have a game with the mechanics of Bloodborne but in a different IP?

Is this a thing like "interconnections = automatically better game design" or something?

To certain hardcore Dark Souls 1 fans? Yes. It's hilarious.

All the intricate interconnections in the world mean jack if your level design isn't consistently on point. And a large chunk of Dark Souls 1 is completely separate from the rest of the game anyway.

Dark Souls 1 is a truly great game but its status as a sacred cow is kind of amazing to me.

finalflame

Gold Member
The middle area there is connected to 5 areas.

There's a few more interconnections, but it's really not that much. It's really not as much a difference as it's made out to be.

Let's not forget the level design in Dark Souls is really not that great.

KAJCag.gif

I'm done here. Good day, sir.

Well, I disagree. I look at a comment like "Dark Souls 3 is the last Souls game" and nothing about that says there can't be another Bloodborne to me. They did not say "Dark Souls 3 is the last game we'll make in this genre," or "Dark Souls 3 is the last game we'll make in this style." Again, I think you're jumping to conclusions.

And I said nothing about my "want or need," that was another poster.

But whatever. Time will tell.
I know it was another poster I just couldn't be bothered to quote five people since I knew they'd read it anyway. Aside from that though, the souls series isn't a genre or even technically a series. It's a style of game pretty exclusive to From that follows a formula that started with Demons Souls and was then transferred into Dark Souls it's spiritual successor and Bloodborne which was then a branch off that line. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you, but Miyazaki has said more than just Dark Souls III is the last game, he's expressed that he wants to do something new and Bloodborne 2 wouldn't be something new, it would be a continuation down the tree that started at Demon Souls. I don't see how that's jumping to conclusions any more than you or others are. Especially when people in this thread have the idea that "I ask and therefore shall receive"

Yeah also let me say that "there won't be a BB2" posts are probably just wishful thinking for those who didn't like it.

Taking the "DS3 is the last souls game" line and pretending it applies to Bloodborne is mental gymnastics.
Yeah I just hate Bloodborne despite it being my second favorite game.
Lmao can't except the fact that not everything needs to be beaten until it's dead? Like come on.

Spoo

Lets see...

Double down on horror. BB was actually a fantastically scary game considering it was never *really* trying to scare you; From should go wild with their designs, encounters, areas and story to craft their most disturbing world yet.

Look to Dark Souls 3 for better build variety. I personally didn't mind that BB was a more streamlined approach, but I want people to have as much flexibility as they need/want to have the kind of hunter they like.

Add in the FP from Dark Souls 3, except make these for some kind of "3rd" weapon transformation that is really powerful and the bar slowly depletes as that transform is out.

Put a little more emphasis on telling the story of the game. The lore in these games are great, but I have a lot of friends telling me this is their #1 complaint of From games -- they simply have no idea what is going on, and so they don't feel connected to the game or the drive to finish it. I don't play these games for the story so I don't know know what the fuck they're talking about, but I think From could do a better job here regardless.

Framerate *and* pacing needs to be fixed. If Neo doesn't provide *at least* a completely fixed 30, or slightly dropping 60, they failed.

Level design doesn't need to change (BB is pretty much the best From has ever done), but I think they could benefit from, as I said, scarier, weirder designs than even BB had for their world.

Add in major, major quality of life features: You should be able to level up at lamps, as well as teleport anywhere. There's simply no excuse.

This would be nice but is not entirely needed: templates for character development. If you know the kind of build you're making, essentially program it in to the game and it will do the rest when you visit a lamp. Makes life simpler. For new players you're trying to help out you could even have some basic templates already available (rogue/warrior, etc) that are auto-leveled for people who don't care about build specialization.

Side-quests need to start letting the player know if you're going to fail them moving on. It's just too much of a pain in the ass in these games with their sensitive triggers -- I don't want a quest-list or anything, but let me know if I'm about to be completely fucked over because I'm entering an area that is going to "break" subquests.

Make the game a *tad* longer. BB was a bit on the short side imo.

Griss

I'm not sure how Bloodborne 2 could be anything but a pale retread of the first, to be honest.

Two things I would definitely do, though:
Separate Chalice Dungeons from the main game. You shouldn't have to try them if you don't want to. Make them a challenge mode or something - that's what they feel like anyway.

A better story - I'm not asking for cinematic cutscenes or for the lore to be made obvious, but give the main character a little bit more of a clear plot outline from start to end. Why is he there, what is he trying to achieve, what happens to him at the end. Everything else can remain mysterious, but 99% of the player base shouldn't be heading to the internet having beaten the game thinking 'What the fuck just happened.' That was a serious letdown for me in Bloodborne.

EDIT:
Fix the side-quests. The way From handles these is abysmal right now.

I loved BB. It's my favorite From RPG. I only loved it because it was fresh. The next game won't have the same impact if it's a rehash like DS2 and DS3 were.

MrHoot

Separate Chalice Dungeons from the main game. You shouldn't have to try them if you don't want to. Make them a challenge mode or something - that's what they feel like anyway.

Wasn't that already the case ? Or do you mean like have no lore at all tied to it at all ? Cuz I do think it would be a bit weird and make them maybe worse if they were just generic dungeons

finalflame

Gold Member
I'm not sure how Bloodborne 2 could be anything but a pale retread of the first, to be honest.

Uhm..I don't think you ever have to touch the chalice dungeons if you don't want to?

Amazing.

It's like all the Dark Souls-only fans seems like have not played Demon's nor can criticize any parts of the series lol.

Must be very surprising that their oldest games in Demon's and Dark Souls had weaker level design...

At least Demon's doesn't have such staunch defenders since so few people actually played it as an exclusive to PS3. Easier to comment on that one.

I know it was another poster I just couldn't be bothered to quote five people since I knew they'd read it anyway. Aside from that though, the souls series isn't a genre or even technically a series. It's a style of game pretty exclusive to From that follows a formula that started with Demons Souls and was then transferred into Dark Souls it's spiritual successor and Bloodborne which was then a branch off that line. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you, but Miyazaki has said more than just Dark Souls III is the last game, he's expressed that he wants to do something new and Bloodborne 2 wouldn't be something new, it would be a continuation down the tree that started at Demon Souls. I don't see how that's jumping to conclusions any more than you or others are. Especially when people in this thread have the idea that "I ask and therefore shall receive"

King's Field?

Bloodborne has the best PvE of the series and the world design and aesthetic was such a breath of fresh air. It was the true evolution of the Souls series and now that Souls is over I hope to see the Bloodborne style being the way forward. They just need to balance PvP better and remove the RNG aspects of gems and the GOAT FROM game will be created.

Also how about cyberpunk borne? I fully expect FROM and SCEJ to make a sequel or spiritual sequel. The IP was too much of a success not to do another venture.

Ryuuga

Banned
I thought I didn't but changed my mind on that while playing dark souls 3. It's not even that I want another bloodborne per se, but that is want another take on the souls formula with its own theme.

Griss

Wasn't that already the case ? Or do you mean like have no lore at all tied to it at all ? Cuz I do think it would be a bit weird and make them maybe worse if they were just generic dungeons

Uhm..I don't think you ever have to touch the chalice dungeons if you don't want to?

That's not how I remember it. I thought you had to at least beat the first one to get an item required for the main story. I remember being very confused about this - maybe I'm wrong.

As to the bolded - they were just generic dungeons, and shoehorning lore onto them didn't help them become anything more than generic dungeons. You could almost see the lego-piece building as you moved through the same rooms in multiple different dungeons. It's not what I play Souls games to experience.

Top Bottom