• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats GAF's favourite One Piece arc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This moment is even better when you remember how much shit he gave Wapol for disrespecting Chopper's flag.

QXjrSoF.png

that arc is so dope it got his own retrofit movie

PixelatedBookake

Mine has to be Thriller Bark. I know Enies Lobby was amazing and IMO the peak of One Piece, but Thriller Bark had the most iconic moments that defined what I enjoy most about the series. The Oars fight, which represents these characters facing unsurmountable odds and working together to conquer them. Brooks back story, which is still the most emotional scene in the series to me. It was like the violinists on the Titanic x100. Zoro standing up to Kuma and absorbing Luffy's pain showing how far Zoro is willing protect his captain. The scene of him standing there in silence, covered in his own blood is an iconic moment. The character interactions, the wacky villains, the horror theme park-ish setting, and going all the way back and tying the story of a goofy musician skeleton man to a giant whale and making it one of the saddest stories in the manga? All of it was genius.

hunnies28

I used to say Ennies Lobby hans down. But since the manga is currently releasing in my country (up to vol. 25 now) I find it hard to say. There was a little but more charm in the earlier arcs.

It has to be Water 7/Enies Lobby.
There's just so many things I love about this arc
- Firstly that it focuses heavily on best Strawhat Robin who puts her entry for most TRAGIC PAST into the heavily competitive One Piece backstory competition.
- Ussop gets some nice development, there's an element of foolishness to his actions but you can get why he feels the way he does for the ship having seen what the others haven't. The ensuing Sogeking silliness (always gets me how Luffy and Chopper are just so dense to not see through the obvious disguise) and the man's admittance of having fucked up at the arcs very end makes for a good piece of character progression.
- Arguable second best Strawhat introduced via Franky
- CP9, and more specifically Rob Lucci, makes a good ol' fashioned power game foil to Luffy, is incredibly gratifying to watch him get gatling'd through a wall.
- Spandam is such a wonderful cowardly arse heel villain, having this mostly all talk type of character be technically ranked above the actual challenging foes of CP9 is a nice twist, I mean sure it's nothing that hasn't been done before but in One Piece this kind of character is usually small time fodder, he is also rocking the Mankind Mick Foley mask.
- There's a freaking Elephant Sword (or Sword elephant?) called FUNKFREED
- "I wanna live!" enough said, potential GOAT One Piece scene right there.
- Kaku justifying the awesome powers of the giraffe, even if it's initially just to convince himself he didn't get a shitty power.
- they'll make you cry over a fuckin' ship
- As an anime bonus it gets two of the best opening themes

Runner up to Sabaody Archipelago for all the reasons outlined by Imperial Bishop

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
- As an anime bonus it gets two of the best opening themes
Yep. Opening 6 got robbed and was only in less than 20 eps. It's one of the best in the series.

Also Funkfreed is the best thing to come out of the One Piece world.

The sabaody arc was fucking groudbreaking. Not only did the world building expand 10 fold, but it was one of the first times Oda really shook up the dynamic of the crew.

EMT0

Banned
I'd say it's a tie between Sabaody, Water 7, Marineford, and Punk Hazard for me. My favorite one varies by the day. They each did crazy and unique things and all have some of the best openings in One Piece associated with each one.

1. Alabasta
2. Drum
3. Skypiea or Arlong
5. Sabaody

Water 7 is great stuff, but Enies Lobby drags a bit. Like after we get the Robin flashback and Luffy's declaration of war, it goes downhill fast. There's minimal substance once we get to the Tower of Justice and everyone gets into their fights, and it just goes on forever. And as a culmination of two arcs worth of plot, that's kind of rough. Personally, I don't read One Piece for the one on one battles as much as I read it for the adventure.

At cp9 right now..... this is taking my cake so far. (Only 3 episodes in it tho, but it's more like the second half of water 7 so I'm just along with the ride)

Water 7/Enies Lobby because of Zoro stuck in a chimney:

ZIfJGR2.png

After that it was a battle for second place.

Although my absolute favorite mini-arc is Jaya and the arrival at Skypiea. Blackbeard, Bellamy, Knock Up Stream, and the most adventurous locale. Somehow Blackbeard arguing about food and dreams made him feel way more dangerous than any actual threat that could be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom