• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the benefit of going digital over physical for PSVita?

For me, it's the convenience of having all my games on the system at the same time. Swapping between games without changing carts is a much better experience.

Deadstar

You can't sell them back, you can't buy them from cheaper retailers, you can't buy used, and you can have all your games on on proprietary cart that you may need multiples of in the future depending on how many games you want to download that cost upwards of $100 for the largest size.

This is definitely a valid concern. Going all digital is not feasible with a measly 32 gb card. In the long term if you eventually run out of space you'd have to uninstall games and or start buying carts. Need a 1 terabyte up in this.

I have a 350 on my ps3 and I only have 100 gigs left so I guess it depends on the life of the product. 10 year life cycle is not gonna happen on a 32 gig card.

Roto13

b793d8f40b5b553eb1abcfcb0819ce5c10e0ed00.jpg

You guys, always joking!

Have you just not looked at the Vita games in the PSN store? Most of them are cheaper than their retail versions.

They are cheaper by a small amount at release. Not that is even a factor, considering that games drop below their retail MSRP within a month or so at least once.

Have you just not looked at the Vita games in the PSN store? Most of them are cheaper than their retail versions.

I paid $20 for wipeout, hot shots golf, marvel vs capcom, and Katamari. I paid $26.66 for virtua tennis, lumines, uncharted, and Rayman

How much are they on psn?

Roto13

I paid $20 for wipeout, hot shots golf, marvel vs capcom, and Katamari. I paid $26.66 for virtua tennis, lumines, uncharted, and Rayman

How much are they on psn?

Shit you got on sale obviously doesn't count in the comparison. Stuff goes on sale on the PSN store sometimes too. The regular price for those games is much higher than what you paid.

Shit you got on sale obviously doesn't count in the comparison. Stuff goes on sale on the PSN store sometimes too. The regular price for those games is much higher than what you paid.

Why does it matter if I got it on sale? There are always sales on retail games. They are more frequent and usually better deals. Let's not forget price drops and clearance. No matter how you slice it, retail ends up cheaper.

Roto13

Why does it matter if I got it on sale? There are always sales on retail games. They are more frequent and usually better deals. Let's not forget price drops and clearance. No matter how you slice it, retail ends up cheaper.

Except, you know, buying new games at full price because most games don't go on sale day 1.

They both have plus and minuses.

I personally do a combination... Bigger & SP only games (Uncharted, Rayman, NGS+) get on physical. Smaller, MP & Heavily re-playable games (Lumines, SSD) get on digital.

This.

I would never buy Uncharted in digital, even if it's slightly cheaper than retail... and I would never buy Hot Shot Golf or Disgaea 3 in physical, even if I found them slightly cheaper than digital.

Also, I get the impression that Sony will keep compatibility of digital games (for example, we see that they are making efforts to keep compatibility of all PSP DD games, and PSX ones), but they don't care too much about people that bought in retail.

Postman

Banned
digital is only way to go IMO. When I am off on work related trips I dont want to lug around a bunch of carts. Just touch and play.

The memory cards prices are horrible though. and you can fill up a card quickly with 4 gig games.

Xiaoki

This is definitely a valid concern. Going all digital is not feasible with a measly 32 gb card. In the long term if you eventually run out of space you'd have to uninstall games and or start buying carts. Need a 1 terabyte up in this.

I have a 350 on my ps3 and I only have 100 gigs left so I guess it depends on the life of the product. 10 year life cycle is not gonna happen on a 32 gig card.

You can transfer games to a PC.

Also, currently, most Vita games are around 1GB so a 32GB memory card wont fill up as fast as you think.

TheExodu5

Banned

Just use Content Manager and transfer some to PC.

Price, but that's offset by expensive memory cards.
hell, most of the games can be purchased physically for cheaper like when there was the B2G1 deal on. Right now, purchasing Vita games through the PSN is a ripoff, especially when memory cards cost so much.

patsu

Convenience and protection. If I lose my Vita, I can redownload the games and steal someone else's Vita.

I lost my launch day PSP-1000 with all my UMDs on a flight.

Yes I have looked. Lets start at Fifa ~$75 US. Uncharted is about $69 US.

These are the prices I get as an Australian. Yes there are ways around it, the best being not buying digital.

My personal favourite PS3 title is Catherine. ~$105 US. This might explain why I am a *little* reluctant to embrace a download strategy.

Well, on the ps3 I'll choose digital (if equal price) so I can game share between my 2 systems. Same would apply to the vita if a household owns 2 of them.

The problem with this argument is that there are so many factors that come into play for different people in different countries.

Except, you know, buying new games at full price because most games don't go on sale day 1.

But they usually do. Onviously you don't pay attention to sales.

These two for example. The amazon 2 for 1 sale was amazing, for people that could buy from the american amazon. Over in Canada Amazon.ca doesn't even have a deals section for games and there were no deals on any vita games retail whatsoever, from any retailer that I'm aware of.

In addition, Canada has all sorts of bizarre distribution issues. Capcom titles are almost always invariably a week late unless they're huge marquee titles, and people in the Good People Die thread were talking about being unable to find 999 in stores for months after it's North American release,

As for me, I buy games day 1 and I don't sell them, and canadian sales are almost universally junk compared to the ones you americans get, so there are almost no cons for me going digital. For others, that choice is much harder.

Instant gratification.

Except not. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours right now to download once you've purchased. You'd likely get gratification sooner driving to a store in some cases

Convenience and protection. If I lose my Vita, I can redownload the games and steal someone else's Vita.

I lost my launch day PSP-1000 with all my UMDs on a flight.

This is true, it can protect you from being irresponsible and in the rare case of an act of nature. My problem is usually you can control this fate where as if a license is pulled or a server shuts down, that is completely out of your control. It's the dependency nature of DD that bothers me. Plus in the future, those games are still replaceable where as with DD you may never be able to replace it.

Well, on the ps3 I'll choose digital (if equal price) so I can game share between my 2 systems. Same would apply to the vita if a household owns 2 of them.

PS3 makes sense because you can have multiple profiles. Vita doesn't since I would think each person would want ownership of their handheld system and use their own profile for data and even trophies. If they don't care about that then ya, it would work.

The problem with this argument is that there are so many factors that come into play for different people in different countries.

This is true. I'm talking about purely from a US perspective where the only advantage might be convenience.

I assume all you physical stalwarts are still rocking portable CD players.

Going digital on Vita confers basically the same benefits as doing so with music or Steam. Convenience, nothing to lose, no media to swap, can carry a large collection easily, modest discounts day one, potential for big sales around the holidays (Sony has been getting pretty good at this, especially for PS Plus members).

And let's not ignore the fact that it's digital day one on Vita that basically led to all the B2G1 deals in the first place. So even if you want to go physical, have some respect for the fact that retail is now forced to compete with digital distribution directly as never before, leading to those kinds of unprecedented discounts. Oh, and you can thank those same retailers for the high memory prices as well. The lion's share of that $99 price for a 32 GB card is going into GameStop or Best Buy's coffers, not Sony's. That's the kind of concession retail demanded back when the PSP Go came out, and it's the same with these memory cards. They wouldn't have agreed to sell the Vita at all if every customer could just buy a microSD card online and bypass them completely for all future game purchases. But getting to make $40-50 on a 32GB card actually makes it worthwhile, even if they don't come back, while they can also steer people to smaller cards and make them dependent on retail games (*cough* Amazon).

HYDE

Banned
I think it's having all your games portable without having to lug around a bunch of additional shiz. Also, you don't have to put hideous blue boxes on your game shelves.

Zee-Row

Banned
Good thing smart people don't buy games they don't want.

Even if you read people's reviews its still their opinion. Skyward Sword is highly regarded but I didn't like it. Sometimes even if the game has a demo , its still not enough to have a final opinion.

kevm3

Pretty much convenience like everyone has said. And convenience is huge to me... otherwise I wouldn't purchase most of my games on PC on steam. It's great to not have to switch discs and to have all your games in one location. Sucks if you get blocked off the service or if your memory stick goes bad... A lot of redownloading acoming.

Grinchy

Banned
because this doesn't look ridiculous in the slightest:

case.jpg

lmao that's the first time I've seen this. That does look ridiculous.

But to the OP, the question of whether digital is more beneficial than physical is crazy to me. Physical media should have to build an argument for why it's more beneficial than digital, not the other way as you are proposing. I simply do not see how physical copies have any benefits other than the potential for resale and displaying a collection. Everything else about physical media sucks in comparison to digital.

Zee-Row

Banned
Eventually Vita games will go up to 8GB and 16GB , I can't imagine how long it would take to download. it took me 20 minutes to download an 800 MG game.

Eusis

But to the OP, the question of whether digital is more beneficial than physical is crazy to me. Physical media should have to build an argument for why it's more beneficial than digital, not the other way as you are proposing. I simply do not see how physical copies have any benefits other than the potential for resale and displaying a collection. Everything else about physical media sucks in comparison to digital.
Despite how much I prefer physical, I have to agree that the case has to be made for physical instead due to how they gimped physical releases (slightly more obnoxious to switch and the bubble for the game can be lost in a sea of them, NOTHING in cases but codes when relevant)... Still, I think the case can be made that way too:

1. Load times ARE a bit better on carts, a reverse of the PSP's scenario.
2. Deals and selling back.
3. Some of these games are fucking massive and are way better just get a physical copy to save on memory card space.
4. Related to that, bigger memory cards need to come along still, or at least cheaper ones. Getting BlazBlue and Uncharted digitally won't be a big deal if we either had 64 or 128 GB cards, or if 32 GB ones were at LEAST half the price they are now.
5. If a game doesn't depend on on cart memory you can easily share. Granted, online passes can also be a problem but if you want to let someone else try the game out you don't have to worry about messing up trophies or maybe a solitary auto save.

I'm going to mix it up myself. Stuff like Katamari and Rayman Origins I'll be inclined to get digitally pending great retail sales, whereas Uncharted and Blazblue are physical because I don't want to worry about 3+ GB games on my card.

Top Bottom