• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best JRPG that most people don't know about?

cHinzo

Soma Bringer On the DS for me. Charming graphics, an interesting story with voiced characters and tons of loot! Also the co-op was stupidly fun.

Hidden gem from Monolith Soft. 😁

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
71doeSbpzEL._SL1204_.jpg

Voliko

Growlanser series. Actually did something unique instead of being a by the books JRPG. God tier Urushihara art, RTS like battle system with with well crafted major battles, well developed characters and story, a bajillion dialogue choices, "vacation" system that's meant to develop the characters and let's you choose who to talk to, political intrigue...

Seconding Wild Arms XF, surprisingly well done SRPG systems

And Gungnir is the best SRPG nobody played.

Zeta Oni

Action-based instead of turned-based, but for those of you who have a Wii still, do yourself a favor and give it a playthrough.

Its my favorite release on the system (regardless of genre), and I say that being a big fan of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Egg_cover.jpg

Elemental Gimmick Gear for the Dreamcast.

Japanese-made ARPG which plays mostly like the 2D Zeldas but with quick 3D boss battles. It is a tough game, too, if you do not use any kind of walkthrough. It is a real hidden gem!

Haganeren

Xenosaga, Shin Megami Tensei, Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Breath of Fire, Shadow Hearts, Radiant Historia... I mean what is an "obscure" J RPG at this point. Every J RPG seems to be "obscure" since it's a niche genre. But really those are.... "classics" for me. (With maybe the exception of Radiant Historia since it's more recent but i see it quoted everytime someone talk about DS's library and especially RPG as THE best J RPG of the console, not exactly a hidden gem, even Contact would fit the bill better and i'm sure it's not really obscure).... Nah, the reality is i don't know what game could qualified as "obscure" either.

Like the one i could talk about is Mother 3 because he never came out of Japan but with Lucas in Smash, it may not be as obscure as we think.... But this is one of the best J RPG i have ever played, without a doubt !

I could talk about Rudora No Hihou which i deeply liked at the time (one of my first J RPG mind you), but with a lot of twist and the idea of those 3 scenario which interact with each other is really cool), but like all J RPG in SNES, it's very likely that anyone knowing the SNES library knows about this game.... But people prefer to talk about other RPGs... (But i'm actually very happy stuff like Terranigma seems to have the success it deserves)

Maybe we can talk about Baroque on Wii/PS2 ? I feel like everyone knew about this game at some point but now, i don't see any mention about it anymore. It's a very interesting D-RPG with a very neat atmosphere. The remake was translated in English but not the original version which was even creepier unfortunatly.

What else... Someone talked about Metal Saga, it's actually the follow up of the Metal Max series, i only played the "Metal Max Returns" version on SNES since it was translated and it's quite original since you don't really have a "aim" other that killing all those wanted people.

I could talk about Legend of Heroes V : Song of the Ocean, because it was really badly written in English with a very uninteresting remake on PSP, the whole Garghav Trilogy don't appear pretty to our eyes. But i feel like it's the best one out of the three even with all those problems, the engine run better, the characters are more interesting and the way it connect the story of LOH3 and LOH4 is really neat. I think a lot of people "know" it exists but i don't think many played it. (Since you will have to play the 3 and 4 before... And i actually think the third one is really boring but i liked the fourth)

There is a lot of other stuff, what about Mystic Ark in SNES which is a blend between J RPG and point & click adventure ? It has a mystical feel to it... It was a chore to translate too !

I could talk about Live A Live with the fact you can chose 7 different scenario made by totally different people before unlocking the last one... It's very original and a deeply engaging experience for me but surely, everyone know about that game, right ?
I don't even know anymore what is an obscure RPG or not... The other day someone told me Suikoden was obscure... Come on, Suikoden is a huge classic right ?

RedZaraki

Banned
I hear you guys.

It's hard to define obscure.

But in a world where people only recognize the biggest of the big JRPG series, it's easy for people to miss the "obvious" ones.

I mean damn. Most new gamers have never heard of Shining Force.

Durante

It's not an unknown game, but many people don't realize just how amazing Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is. In terms of gameplay, it's my favorite JRPG of all time.

Vic_Viper

The Devil Summoner series is probably the most obscure/not well known part of the SMT franchise. These games are probably my favorite aside from Persona 3 and are pretty different from the rest of the SMT series. The Raidou games are action RPGs and are set in fuedal Japan, you play as a devil summoning detective who is seriously badass. Then it's follow up, Soul Hackers is a cyberpunk Jrpg that originally never came out in the US until it was ported to the 3DS.

Soul-Hackers.jpg

SMT Soul Hackers (3DS)

raidou2_610.jpg

And it's prequel series: SMT Devil Summoner 1 & 2 (PS2)

oni-link

Action-based instead of turned-based, but for those of you who have a Wii still, do yourself a favor and give it a playthrough.

Its my favorite release on the system (regardless of genre), and I say that being a big fan of Xenoblade Chronicles.

I've wanted to play this for ages, and it's on the Wii U eShop even, but it's never going to drop to under a tenner and since I doubt It will carry over onto the Switch I don't see it as a good deal

BadWolf

It's not an unknown game, but many people don't realize just how amazing Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is. In terms of gameplay, it's my favorite JRPG of all time.

The world, story and characters are memorable as well.

A wonderful game all around.

RedZaraki

Banned
Xenosaga, Shin Megami Tensei, Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Breath of Fire, Shadow Hearts, Radiant Historia... I mean what is an "obscure" J RPG at this point. Every J RPG seems to be "obscure" since it's a niche genre. But really those are.... "classics" for me. (With maybe the exception of Radiant Historia since it's more recent but i see it quoted everytime someone talk about DS's library and especially RPG as THE best J RPG of the console, not exactly a hidden gem, even Contact would fit the bill better and i'm sure it's not really obscure).... Nah, the reality is i don't know what game could qualified as "obscure" either.

Like the one i could talk about is Mother 3 because he never came out of Japan but with Lucas in Smash, it may not be as obscure as we think.... But this is one of the best J RPG i have ever played, without a doubt !

I could talk about Rudora No Hihou which i deeply liked at the time (one of my first J RPG mind you, but with a lot of twist and the idea of those 3 scenario which interact with each other is really cool), but like all J RPG in SNES, it's very likely that anyone knowing the SNES library knows about this game.

Maybe we can talk about Baroque on Wii/PS2 ? I feel like everyone knew about this game at some point but now, i don't see any mention about it anymore. It's a very interesting D-RPG with a very neat atmosphere. The remake was translated in English but not the original version which was even creepier unfortunatly.

What else... Someone talked about Metal Saga, it's actually the follow up of the Metal Max series, i only played the "Metal Max Returns" version on SNES since it was translated and it's quite original since you don't really have a "aim" other that killing all those wanted people.

I could talk about Legend of Heroes V : Song of the Ocean, because it was really badly written in English with a very uninteresting remake on PSP, the whole Garghav Trilogy don't appear pretty to our eyes. But i feel like it's the best one out of the three even with all those problems, the engine run better, the characters are more interesting and the way it connect the story of LOH3 and LOH4 is really neat. I think a lot of people "know" it exists but i don't think many played it. (Since you will have to play the 3 and 4 before... And i actually think the third one is really boring but i liked the fourth)

There is a lot of other stuff, what about Mystic Ark in SNES which is a blend between J RPG and point & click adventure ? It has a mystical feel to it... It was a chore to translate too !

I could talk about Live A Live with the fact you can chose 7 different scenario made by totally different people before unlocking the last one... It's very original and a deeply engaging experience for me but surely, everyone know about that game, right ?
I don't even know anymore what is an obscure RPG or not... The other day someone told me Suikoden was obscure... Come on, Suikoden is a huge classic right ?

I've played Mother 3, and heard of Baroque, but all those others are new to me. And I consider myself an enthusiast.

I really enjoyed Code Age Commanders on the PS2, personally, but I know I was in the minority. Really great space/sci-fi atmosphere and beautiful design and artwork from Naora.

Vic_Viper

Was Shadow Hearts one of the PS2 classics on PS4? I've always wanted to check that series out After hearing so much about it.

Maxim726X

Amen to that. One of the best games of all-time and an amazing work of art.

I didn't like it when I originally turned it on because of different it played...

But yeah, after putting some more time into it I was really impressed. Incredibly deep battle system, interesting story, and unbelievably unique. It really is a gem that everyone should play if you have any interest in the genre at all.

I could talk about Rudora No Hihou which i deeply liked at the time (one of my first J RPG mind you), but with a lot of twist and the idea of those 3 scenario which interact with each other is really cool), but like all J RPG in SNES, it's very likely that anyone knowing the SNES library knows about this game.... But people prefer to talk about other RPGs... (But i'm actually very happy stuff like Terranigma seems to have the success it deserves)

For someone who claims to not know what obscure is, you for damn sure posted some obscure shit.

Haganeren

I've played Mother 3, and heard of Baroque, but all those others are new to me. And I consider myself an enthusiast.

.... Except Suikoden, i suppose.
I mean, knowing Shining Force or Albert Odyssey but not Suikoden would be... really weird, isn't it ?

But if you didn't knew some games i posted i'm happy to have served my purpose on this thread ah ah.

RedZaraki

Banned
.... Except Suikoden, i suppose.
I mean, knowing Shining Force or Albert Odyssey but not Suikoden would be... really weird, isn't it ?

But if you didn't knew some games i posted i'm happy to have served my purpose on this thread ah ah.

Yeah and Suikoden. Suikoden 2 is one of my favorite games of all times. But all those others I didn't know.

combatwaffle

Neo Member
I love this thread.

Guardian's Crusade was a game I had as a child and really adored, although I never beat it. I wonder if it has aged well at all (probably not), maybe I'll try to get another copy.

Azure Dreams is one of my favorite games of all time and wish I could find another roguelike that I enjoyed as much as I did that one. It has basically everything that I could ever want in a game: a tower climbing rorguelike with monster collecting, town building, cooking, dating sim... there was just so much to do.

Magi-Nation was a surprisingly great game. I'd love if there were more games similar to this; real RPG mechanics with a card game battle system.

Tactics Ogre/Knight of Lodis, as well as the Ogre Battle games, are some of my favorite games, especially Ogre Battle 64. This is the series that I most wish would get a new addition. I would die of happiness.

Resonance of Fate was great, although admittedly I didn't understand the intricacies of the battle system UNTIL THE FINAL BOSS purely because it was too difficult to do without fighting correctly.

Jeanne D'Arc, which is an excellent Level-5 game that really makes me miss when they made slightly more obscure but much more interesting RPGs opposed to their huge, all-ages games today.

EGG for Dreamcast is a real hidden gem. The visuals are fantastic and the soundtrack is excellent. I highly recommend giving this game a try to anyone looking for a good puzzle-y action RPG.

For my contribution, I guess I'll have to go with Skies of Arcadia.

segabitsskies-of-arcadia-ship.jpg

Definitely not the most obscure RPG, but certainly an overlooked one, and a fantastic one at that. Turn based RPG with aerial pirate ship combat with a memorable cast and engrossing story.

Fou-Lu

Another one I'll bring up, Okage - Shadow King. It has the quirk and charm of a Mother game (well, it at least tries to and gets pretty close), it's not that long and is pretty easy, but it's fun and memorable and worth playing.

gngf123

Title says GOOD JRPGs. :p

Assuming DRPG's count for this thread, Etrian Odyssey is fucking great.

That said, like SJ and Radiant Historia, they would make most people's list of top DS RPG's (or 3DS for the newer ones). They are not obscure.

I would put EXP inc RPG's ahead of EO in this thread just because less people are aware of them. Stranger of Sword City for example.

For my contribution, I guess I'll have to go with Skies of Arcadia.

This makes literally every "Best Gamecube/Dreamcast Games" list. It's great, but anyone with knowledge of JRPG's should know of it.

leroidys

Another vote for Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter (V). Fantastic combat system that's a step above most other JRPGs. Doesn't skimp on other things like atmosphere, soundtracks, and story either

vaporeon

A lot of interesting srpgs in this thread that I've never considered. More to the backlog, I guess....

Radiant Historia sold poorly in Japan, I can't imagine it did any better in the US sadly.
I believe it sold better in NA. Actually, a lot of jrpgs seem to sell better in the West than in Japan alone.

Zeta Oni

I've wanted to play this for ages, and it's on the Wii U eShop even, but it's never going to drop to under a tenner and since I doubt It will carry over onto the Switch I don't see it as a good deal

Yeah I don't see the price dropping digitally at all, for physical its still $25 used at Gamestop despite being 6 years old this May.

Also, shoutout to the Enchanted Arms mention, reminds me of a few other 360 era JRPG's no one seems to discuss anymore.

Tactical RPG, but still....

Makonero

Riviera: The Promised Land for GBA. A fun, vibrant RPG with a unique battle system and a great visual novel world to explore.

Top Bottom