• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the biggest drop in quality between a game and its immediate follow-up?

FC Bayern

Lufia 2 - Lufia 3
Phantasy Star 1 - Phantasy star 2
Final Fantasy 12 - Final Fantasy 13
Chrono Trigger - Chrono Cross
FF6 - FF7
Breath of Fire 3 - Breath of Fire 4

And the grandaddy of them all:

NHL94 - everything since.

FStubbs

Breath of Fire 5 -> Breath of Fire 6
Lunar 2 -> Lunar Dragon Song
Sim City 4 -> Sim City 5
Langrisser 5 -> Langrisser Reincarnation

Phantasy Star 1 - Phantasy star 2

Phantasy Star 2 is great. It's a bit clunky and it sucks that there's no backgrounds in the battles but it has one of the best atmospheres in gaming, a good story and phenomenal character design. Some of the dungeons are a bit terrifying but they were meant to be mapped out by the player.

Opa-Pa

Devil Survivor -> Devil Survivor 2

Wind Waker -> TP was my first disappointment with console Zelda games too, and I stopped getting hyped for them ever since.

SoulUnison

Banned
Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2

I refuse.

I finished Mass Effect 1 thinking it was a game with a lot of potential but almost every edge was rough and it ended on a bit of a whimper.
Mass Effect 2 polished nearly everything that needed to be and had one of the most gripping endgames I've ever played.

Seriously. Pretty much everything from the Omega-4 Relay to the credits roll is sublime.

Starcraft 1 to 2
Tekken 3/TTT to 4

You are insane if you think TTT isn't better than 3. It's far better in every direction besides the personal choice of not liking the Tag aspect. 3 was good for its time, but it doesn't hold a candle to TTT on any level besides maybe the music.

4? Now, that I can agree upon. Besides the obvious graphical overhaul, that game was straight ass and the most broken Tekken game of all time in the mainline series. Only redeeming thing was the music and Hei in a diaper.

saturnine

ITT People posting sequels they simply don't like, or that aren't immediate. Modern Zelda, Soulsborne, Mass Effect, Saints Row? Get real. I really dislike MGS4 for example, compared to MGS3 which I love, and I wouldn't suggest that.

The biggest drops are games like DMC2 and Alundra 2. If your suggestion isn't comparable you need to play more games, or get more realistic about the games you like and dislike.

People are expressing their perceived biggest drop in quality. Disappointingness is hardly an objective property, and is only quantifiable as the difference between expectations and reality.

They were invested in the formula created by a game, believed it could evolve to be even better, and deemed the follow up to have failed to reach this potential by a wide margin. If they have arguments to justify their feelings, who are you to say that they have to get real?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sonic Adventure 2 -> Sonic Heroes was where the decline began, but Heroes was still decent. Heroes -> Shadow, though? That's when you knew Sonic was dead.

I just replayed the Dark story on SA2, and yeah, it did age somewhat badly, but it's a legitimately good game with a story that's not too overbearing nor too cartoony. The Adventure games really captured the feel of the Genesis games, IMO, which may be an unpopular opinion. They started going way downhill afterwards.

Linkura

Lunar: Eternal Blue to Lunar: Dragon Song
Grandia II to Grandia III
Yuppp

Except I'd put Grandia II to Grandia Xtreme since that came out before III. Also bad. Either way, the Grandia series got fucked hard and never recovered.

Shame on Ubi for ruining the Lunar franchise with DS. They do a lot of shit, but it's really up there as one of the worst things they've ever done. Fuckers got the rights to one of the most beloved JRPG series of all time and they just played us all like a fiddle.

Here's some more JRPG related ones:
Phantasy Star II to III. I don't even think I need to explain this one.
Chrono Trigger to Cross. I know some people love Cross, but I tried replaying it and I just couldn't finish it. Got about halfway and lost all patience. Meanwhile, Trigger is still a classic.

A few more controversial ones IMO:
RE 4 to 5. I just felt like 5 lost the soul of 4. The gameplay was about the same, but it just didn't have that special something that 4 had for me.
Silent Hill 3 to 4 (The Room). I remember importing The Room all excited for a new SH game. And then it was garbage, in my opinion, or at least not a SH game. It was obviously a different game that was hastily repurposed into a SH game. It was very upsetting.

Menitta

DMC1 -> DMC2
RE4 -> RE5 (RE5 is good, but come on)
Ace Attorney 3 -> Apollo Justice (Again, its good but come on)

Wow I just realised I listed all Capcom games.

Gator86

First one that comes to mind is Final Fantasy XII to Final Fantasy XIII. From one of my favourite Final Fantasys to one of my least favourite Final Fantasys.

Well it's right to some people. ME2 was disliked by many compared to the first.

You could argue it was different than 1, which is a totally acceptable argument. But ME2 wasn't a bad game by any metric. DMC2 is irredemable shit and followed directly after 1, a stellar game.

RevenWolf

Mass effect 2 to mass effect 3: the game was worse in pretty much every respect.

Dark souls 2 - Dark Souls 3: i haven't been back since the release basically, but the severe balance issues and what felt like very undertuned magic builds really killed the build variety and fun for me.

Mr. Tibbs

My top three picks:

Deus Ex to Deus Ex: Invisible War
Thief: Deadly Shadows to Thief (2014)
Duke Nukem 3D to Duke Nukem Forever

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
Oblivion -> Skyrim

I don't know, I was just hideously disappointed. It wasn't so much mechanically poorer as it was just bland. The world never blew me away like Oblivion's did, and what they did to the guilds was horrendous. We went from fleshed out side stories in Oblivion to 'just there' lines that I plain didn't enjoy. There's not a single memorable quest in Skyrim, whereas the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild lines in Oblivion are still some of the most fun I've had playing games. The murder mystery-esque DB quest was particularly brilliant. Skyrim lacked soul.

Saying that, I'll buy it again next week, because it's still better than anything else I've fucking played in forever.

Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2

Not a drop in quality id say, but it went from a janky but ambitious in scale rpg, to a pretty good third person shooter. Which was dissapointing to me

Halo 4 to halo 5. From a campaign perspective. Halo 4 told a really great personal story that did amazing things for character development for the series. Halo 5 shat away all of that

You could argue it was different than 1, which is a totally acceptable argument. But ME2 wasn't a bad game by any metric. DMC2 is irredemable shit and followed directly after 1, a stellar game.

Yeah, but some people loved ME1 and hated ME2. To them that would be a a big drop in quality, so it's a valid answer.

PKrockin

Would WRPG fans agree with Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind -> The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?

I haven't played either extensively, but Morrowind struck me as much more unique and imaginative. Oblivion had much more forgettable, generic, smaller fantasy world. Despite the combat being slightly improved in Oblivion I would much rather return to Morrowind than Cyrodiil. I wouldn't say Oblivion is a bad game, but it failed to capture my imagination nearly as much as Morrowind and I played both at roughly the same time.

brinstar

ActRaiser_2_box_art.jpg

There's only ever one answer to this one.

Yup. It's this and DMC2

A much better polished game, with fewer bugs is a (large) quality drop?
It may have taken a few steps back in a few gameplay elements, but quality?

You crazy man. I just replayed Mass Effect 2 and that game is a masterpiece, especially when compared to some of the rough edges of the 1st game.

Really? I'm pretty sure after I played 2 I thought it was an improved experience in almost every way. Please elaborate, I'm genuinely curious.

These are the wrong way round.

ME2 might be the best work Bioware ever did, their best ensemble of characters for sure.

A wrong answer

I refuse.

I finished Mass Effect 1 thinking it was a game with a lot of potential but almost every edge was rough and it ended on a bit of a whimper.
Mass Effect 2 polished nearly everything that needed to be and had one of the most gripping endgames I've ever played.

Seriously. Pretty much everything from the Omega-4 Relay to the credits roll is sublime.

Absolutely not. We're discussing only quality, and ME2 is almost polished to a fault. ME1 remains my favorite but that doesn't mean it didn't have a lot of deficiencies.

Fine, fine, I'll go with a different answer. Sheesh >_>

Fallout: New Vegas to Fallout 4. I hoped Bethesda would learn a few things from New Vegas, but I was too naive to believe that.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
Would WRPG fans agree with Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind -> The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?

I haven't played either extensively, but Morrowind struck me as much more unique and imaginative. Oblivion had much more forgettable, generic, smaller fantasy world. Despite the combat being slightly improved in Oblivion I would much rather return to Morrowind than Cyrodiil. I wouldn't say Oblivion is a bad game, but it failed to capture my imagination nearly as much as Morrowind and I played both at roughly the same time.

Heh, I think TES is just divisive. Personally, Oblivion is the best game I've ever played, and Skyrim fell a long way short. Morrowind was fun but it just played far too clunkily for me to really sink my teeth into.

GamerJM

Banned
Super Monkey Ball 2 -> Banana Blitz

Or 2 -> Adventure if that counts. Though that one actually isn't as bad as Banana Blitz despite Adventure's bad reception. The single player was just sort of bland moreso than anything, it still had some fun minigames. Though its technical performance was awful for some reason.

Metal Gear Solid 3 to 4 seems fitting.

The sad part is MGS4's gameplay is pretty fantastic...for the 30 minutes worth of actual gameplay in the game.

IrishNinja

Zombies Ate My Neighbors to Ghoul Patrol

latter's not even that bad, just ain't ZAMN

tempted to say ToeJam & Earl/Panic on Funkotron, cause Panic is neat but way to ditch a cool roguelike, man

Metal Gear Solid 3 to 4 seems fitting.

The sad part is MGS4's gameplay is pretty fantastic...for the 30 minutes worth of actual gameplay in the game.

The real answer is either Resident Evil 5 -> 6 or MGS4 -> 5

nahhh, i mean RE6 sucks butt but 5 wasn't so great, the real drop was 4 to 5. and MGS V is way better than 4 too

Dr Dogg

While not as good as the original, Driver 2 looks like a masterpiece compared to the abomination of Driv3r.

Price of Persia Sands of Time to Warrior Within is another on my mind.

Totally agree on Shadow Dragon. Radiant Dawn is also a step down from Path of Radiance, but it was still a great game with all its flaws. Shadow Dragon is just mediocre and the only game in the series I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Thank god Awakening was so much better. Apparently the direct sequel to Shadow Dragon fixes some of its issues, but I've never played it.

The sequel to Shadow Dragon is way better then Awakening. It just looks really ugly. Radiant Dawn is better Gameplay wise, but the story is a little bloated and Part 4 and last is a little silly.

I say Pokemon Sapphire to Diamond/Pearl. its the most disappointing to me and theres worst examples then this

Top Bottom