• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your geeky pop culture blindspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

Most manga and anime except for older stuff (up to the the late 90s or so).
Star Trek (I just find it incredibly silly looking).
Super Heroes stuff except for Spider-Man (everything else feels highly convoluted). Both movies and comics.
Harry Potter stuff (is that even geeky?).

And that's all the major stuff, anyway. There are tons of other things I'm not really into, so it's more of a blind general direction, rather than blindspot :p

Beartruck

I grew up drawing and playing games, so I am crazy into videogames and comics...and not much else. I don't understand the love for the walking dead or Game of Thrones or anything like that, and I fundamentally don't understand Chris Hardwick's appeal (he's like a geek ambassador I guess?). I think loot crates are a monument to consumer excess and funko pops are offensive to quality design sensibilities. So basically, I guess I dislike "mainstream" geek culture, though I'm no grognard, I never really bring it up or lord it over anyone.

I also don't like Scifi. I loooove shitty old scifi though. So much ironic fun.

Rookhelm

Star wars is pretty much my favorite thing ever. Seen the movies, read the books, bought the merch, even have a stormtrooper costume.

Love star trek, too. Seen every episode of every star trek. I like sci Fi, I like fantasy. LOTR and BTTF are some of my favorite movies ever.

I play video games, been playing them for over 30 years.

No idea what Dr. Who is.

Timeaisis

Right now it's Game of Thrones. I thought it was kind of boring when I tried it out.

Also, no nothing about Doctor Who. Tried it out, thought it was pretty mediocre.

I know about HP through cultural osmosis and watching the films, but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan or anything.

Also, I think nerd "culture" is pretty dumb altogether.

Cracklox

OPs two examples work for me. Harry Potter just never seemed my thing, and Dr Who, I've just never given a chance, and that's despite my dad loving it and trying to get me into it growing up. And I'm a bit like my dad with similar interests but I just could never get into it. As a kid, I did find the whole Daleks get fucked over by steps kind of amusing though.

Also add Star Trek. Always just seemed incredibly boring with lots of talking heads which isn't really what I'm after from a sci-fi show.

I guess Anime if that counts too. I used to kind of get into some manga stuff, but that's been a loooonng time now

v1lla21

Doctor Who definitely. I tried watching it and my first thought was, wtf this is. Didn't make it through the episode.

DC and marvel superhero comics. I read other stuff but I don't know where to begin with those. Huge fan of valiant tho.

Sunster

Star Trek
Anime

lots of anime looks really good but I just never get around to watching it or reading manga. also there's this weird thing where they make little girls dress erotically and that's gross. not in all, maybe not even most. but in enough to where it's a thing...

Couldn't tell ya shit about Star Trek, Doctor Who, any of that D&D/board game type stuff or anime except for Studio Ghibli films, the Ghost in the Shell franchise, Dragon Ball and Pokémon.

Anything Nintendo. I was forbidden to own one as a kid lol. I got to rent an NES for a few days one time. I remember playing Xenophobe.

So yeah I never owned a Mario game, Zelda game, <insert Nintendo franchise here> Never owned a Nintendo console except a Wii(bought one during the hype but only played some Wii Sports and got bored).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom