• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Microsoft will react to potentially losing next gen battle?

Aren't they still enjoying their best xbox launch ever, regardless of how well the PS4 is doing?

In absolute terms, yes. But at the end of December last year, it was 3M sold to consumers, 900k on shelves, now in March they announced 5M sold to retailers with no clarification on what's sold to consumers

I.E. it is more likely that it is selling under their projections than not imo

Gorillaz

I think MS will be "ok" with coming in 2nd this gen. They were lucky/right time, right place during the last gen and probably forgot how much energy it takes to start out a gen (since the slate gets cleaned each time for all companies).

Since the division isn't exactly their "pillar" business they will do enough to stay in the competition and probably will do a price cut sometime around the holidays but I think the higher ups will deal with the cards it was dealt

They've been reacting since Sony's E3 conference.
Exactly this, should have been first post. I would have thought having 450$ and 400$ bundles in some cases with Titanfall, their biggest game of the year would have been an eye opener. 3 day always online DRM change was pretty much the beginning, you can't get earlier than that :D

AmyS

I sincerely hope Microsoft has a successor to Xbox One around the end of the decade, if only to keep Sony a humble Sony, an "honest" Sony, a Sony that aims to please gamers.

Yeah, the Xbox One is definitely underselling compared to the PS4, but at the same time I don't think Microsoft is in that bad of a position with the Xbox One. They made the right choice with Phil Spencer at the helm of the Xbox division which will bring a lot of momentum to the brand name. The console itself isn't selling too badly considering the higher price point but I think they will end up with a nice healthy second place position at the end of this console cycle.

Nintendo has a lot more to worry about in the console market than MS does at this point.

All they need is a good price cut and they are back in the race. By good I mean 150 dollar price cut.

That's a good one... At best I expect a $50 dollar price cut at E3 if we're lucky to get one at all. But they will probably just push out some new bundles.

Nutter

The console should have been $400 to begin with.

$400 with a game permanently included going forward. Even if Sony reacts by cutting their price, at least MS will not have a console for $500.

Deadstar

Precisely why all the MS is loaded but Sony broke comments hold little weight and are based on a complete lack of understanding what these companies do

Though then you can problems where you prefer one controller over another but it might not be available.

MercuryLS

Banned
You guys are only equating console sales to winning or losing. Software sales is what makes the money .. As long as either company has strong software sales I doubt either could care about who has the largest user base.

Then again this is exactly what I said last gen this time when the ps3 was having a rough time.

You make it seem like MS is in this market to make tons of money, they aren't (although that would be nice for them). They're in it for control of the TV and high household penetration to push their ecosystem beyond the PC and into entertainment. Being decimated sales-wise by Sony this gen would be a huge failure for Microsoft. The Xbox division might be all about games, but MS as a company is only in this market to push their ecosystem.

I dont care.

Soon but probably later.

Lol, but honestly how are they losing if the WiiU already failed?
Nintendo and MS are doomed.
/s

Some replies in this thread are just... wow. MS can still do something about it, even if they don't catch the Playstation brand sales wise. It's not about "total domination", it's about market share and the potential of winning money through software(for now).

Some guys act like MS is completly off the battle because after mere 5 months they're behind the competion by 2-3 million.

They know what's going on and they'll react (they've switched their focus - TV to games from what I see). They're not in a bad position, people are focusing too much on the PS4 vs One side of things. Let it roll, let's see how E3 turns out, let's see how they react next holiday season.

This is how I see things at least.

They don't have to react to just being the lesser selling console. They'll react if they start losing money but I think they're quite comfortable how they are.

Lol wow this was made in February! I doubt any of the companies care about this "console war" all they care about is profit. A console that sells 200 million but didn't make a profit is less successful than a console that sold 10 million but made a profit.

Synth

You make it seem like MS is in this market to make tons of money, they aren't (although that would be nice for them). They're in it for control of the TV and high household penetration to push their ecosystem beyond the PC and into entertainment. Being decimated sales-wise by Sony this gen would be a huge failure for Microsoft. The Xbox division might be all about games, but MS as a company is only in this market to push their ecosystem.

I completely agree with you on this.. which is why these sorts of posts have always puzzled me:

Then get better competition. Sega's been replaced, & Microsoft can be replaced, too.
Yes, Microsoft needs to be replaced.

I often see the idea floated that MS needs to be bumped out of the gaming business in order to make way for a new competitor. I do question what these people envision the new competitor actually being however. There seems to be the assumption that the next entrant would attempt to play the game the same way Sony does (and for some reason having two different manufacturers making a PS4 is apparently a good thing). This however seems very unlikely to me. It would take a crapload of cash to successfully enter the market today, and each of the companies I can imagine attempting, are also not going to be entering with the view of making "PlayStation" money. The thing is, MS entered the market bound by the same rules as their competitors at the time (just with a lot more cash). They've now been attempting to transition from that model towards an ecosystem. Their potential replacements would almost certainly have the same end goals (one ecosystem, every screen), however they would be approaching it from the opposite end. They would already have the ecosystem, and would be applying that to the console, rather than the other way around.

As for stuff like used games... well most of them would be far better equipped to remove that aspect of console gaming than MS ever was. Steam Machines? Already done. An Apple iBox? No GameStop dependency due to Apple Stores. Amazon FireTV? No GameStop dependency because... well... they're Amazon. Google? Less certain I guess... but I simply can't picture them relying on a physical sales model. Samsung are pretty much the only commonly cited candidate that I can picture attempting to compete directly with Sony using the currently established model, and even then I could see them simply making an Android based console along the lines on what Amazon have done.

So, I'm not seeing where all this faith in a new competitor, not bound by the legacy rules of the console market is coming from really. Maybe one of the people that have this opinion can tell me exactly how they expect to benefit from this situation?

LAA

Wow never knew about MS keeping the rumble patent in court to stop the PS3 getting rumble.
This is a great reason why MS should be out of this industry really. They don't compete to make their console the best, they simply try and make the others worse, poor strategy and attitude. Seems similar to that damn parity clause they have too, not working hard to make devs want to make on their system, simply force them into making for their console now, otherwise they may never get on.

Stuff like this really makes me glad I'm not supporting MS, just sucking the joy out of the industry, so yeah they have to a lot to change, and I question whether they will.

Biker19

Banned
Wow never knew about MS keeping the rumble patent in court to stop the PS3 getting rumble.
This is a great reason why MS should be out of this industry really. They don't compete to make their console the best, they simply try and make the others worse, poor strategy and attitude. Seems similar to that damn parity clause they have too, not working hard to make devs want to make on their system, simply force them into making for their console now, otherwise they may never get on.

Stuff like this really makes me glad I'm not supporting MS, just sucking the joy out of the industry, so yeah they have to a lot to change, and I question whether they will.

Exactly what I said earlier. They even do constant moneyhatting with exclusives or timed exclusives (much more than either Nintendo or Sony) & have no long-term commitment towards 1st/2nd party games, save for their biggest IP's. They're the company that has the worst 1st party output, & is the company out of the three that relies too much on 3rd party games.

You don't have to "win" to have success. Ps4 is selling more but it's not like the bone hasn't been selling good, it's selling well. It's not a failure, so there's no reason for them to treat it like one.

LAA

Exactly what I said earlier. They even do constant moneyhatting with exclusives or timed exclusives (much more than either Nintendo or Sony) & have no long-term commitment towards 1st/2nd party games, save for their biggest IP's. They're the company that has the worst 1st party output, & is the company out of the three that relies too much on 3rd party games.

Yeah, thats one of Xbox's biggest flaw with me. Lack of first party IPs. Thought they'd try changing or improving that for X1, it could have been a thing that'd get me on X1 eventually, and when creating new first party IPs, it simply takes time for it to be popular and known, so would have made sense to create these IPs asap, but seemed adding TV uses was higher on their priority list for them.

Synth

I personally don't agree that they have the worst first-party output though. Over the last two gens, I've enjoyed MS' first party offerings more than both Sony's and Nintendo's. It's purely a matter of opinion.

I can understand the moneyhat stuff, but I don't think this has been a significant issue recently. It seems that the Titanfall situation wasn't quite as clear cut as we all thought, and apparently Dead Rising 3 also wasn't a sure thing either. They seem to primarily be partnering with studios for content, rather than simply buying them these days... and as many people continuously note, buying exclusives is becoming prohibitively expensive... even for MS. I think they should do more collaborations like they did with Killer Instinct; take some of the huge number of IPs they have sitting around dormant, and find development studios that have the required talents to bring them back to life.

Yeah, thats one of Xbox's biggest flaw with me. Lack of first party IPs. Thought they'd try changing or improving that for X1, it could have been a thing that'd get me on X1 eventually, and when creating new first party IPs, it simply takes time for it to be popular and known, so would have made sense to create these IPs asap, but seemed adding TV uses was higher on their priority list for them.

Ryse, Crimson Dragon, LocoCycle, Powerstar Golf, all at launch. Quantum Break rumoured to drop this year...I think they are doing alright in terms of creating new IP. Whether you like them or not, is subjective.

Sizzle55

Everything that intrigued me about the Xbox One simply isn't available in Australia. All the original hype and anger about all the TV and Sports being the main focus sounded awesome to me, sadly they have no agreement yet with Foxtel and will probably take years to happen. I was excited for the console but can't justify buying one, though I would like to play Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct, in fact it has a nice line up overall, But my PS4 has MLB TV and NBA Game Time and PS Plus so it does me fine. Price does not bother me or that Kinect is included, if it had everything that was advertised I would be all over it, sadly I don't think I will ever see it happen in Australia.

Biker19

Banned
I personally don't agree that they have the worst first-party output though. Over the last two gens, I've enjoyed MS' first party offerings more than both Sony's and Nintendo's. It's purely a matter of opinion.

Sorry. What I'm trying to say is, is that they're the worst with 1st-party studios and self-made exclusives in terms of putting out more 1st party titles.

NEO0MJ

Ryse, Crimson Dragon, LocoCycle, Powerstar Golf, all at launch. Quantum Break rumoured to drop this year...I think they are doing alright in terms of creating new IP. Whether you like them or not, is subjective.

New IPs are over-rated, I'd much rather have a solid revival of a once dead franchise like what they did with Killer Instinct.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Of course some of you may well say the war is already over, but I think only the most ardent MS fan would claim that they are selling more than PS4...

All evidence is now pointing to PS4 pulling away? is NPD reports are accurate, surely no company as big as MS would accept being outsold, I appreciate PS3 did but Sony never had the money to rectify the situation..

I am guessing Titanfall is the big one (I read a lot of people saying it wont make a bit of difference) but we don't know that, as no one can see into the future..

If as some predict Titanfall does not produce a comeback do they go aggressive and at least price match the PS4, as surely that would be a sensible move, as at least then consumers have a straight choice..

As the moment they are the same price, MS arguably would have a good shot, sure it may not be as powerful but then they 'claim' they have the multimedia extras.

So, in summary....when do they act, or could they do the unthinkable and accept being second and just do the spin they come out with each time NPD report

I don't get this, Sony having money wouldn't of made a difference and MS having money doesn't stop them from being out sold or have the ability to stop being out sold more then any other company, the best they can do is support their product and hope for the best or do a Xbox and kill of the XOne and force another generation on us, that's the only thing other then what they are already doing that they can do.

I often see the idea floated that MS needs to be bumped out of the gaming business in order to make way for a new competitor. I do question what these people envision the new competitor actually being however. There seems to be the assumption that the next entrant would attempt to play the game the same way Sony does (and for some reason having two different manufacturers making a PS4 is apparently a good thing). This however seems very unlikely to me. It would take a crapload of cash to successfully enter the market today, and each of the companies I can imagine attempting, are also not going to be entering with the view of making "PlayStation" money. The thing is, MS entered the market bound by the same rules as their competitors at the time (just with a lot more cash). They've now been attempting to transition from that model towards an ecosystem. Their potential replacements would almost certainly have the same end goals (one ecosystem, every screen), however they would be approaching it from the opposite end. They would already have the ecosystem, and would be applying that to the console, rather than the other way around.

As for stuff like used games... well most of them would be far better equipped to remove that aspect of console gaming than MS ever was. Steam Machines? Already done. An Apple iBox? No GameStop dependency due to Apple Stores. Amazon FireTV? No GameStop dependency because... well... they're Amazon. Google? Less certain I guess... but I simply can't picture them relying on a physical sales model. Samsung are pretty much the only commonly cited candidate that I can picture attempting to compete directly with Sony using the currently established model, and even then I could see them simply making an Android based console along the lines on what Amazon have done.

So, I'm not seeing where all this faith in a new competitor, not bound by the legacy rules of the console market is coming from really. Maybe one of the people that have this opinion can tell me exactly how they expect to benefit from this situation?

Great post.

LAA

Hmm, I guess I meant by IP I more meant as a new franchise, like Halo, Fable and Gears for example.
The examples you list, unless MS proves me wrong, I can see most of them being one offs, still better than 360's attempts at this though. Ryse seems set on a sequel if rumours are true..., other than that can't be sure of the others,

Synth

Hmm, I guess I meant by IP I more meant as a new franchise, like Halo, Fable and Gears for example.
The examples you list, unless MS proves me wrong, I can see most of them being one offs, still better than 360's attempts at this though. Ryse seems set on a sequel if rumours are true..., other than that can't be sure of the others,

I find it pretty strange to discount new IP, because they don't (and may not) have sequels... by the time Gears, Fable and Forza reached their 3rd instalments, they were already being referred to as part of a cycle, but the first instalment of an IP is apparently not as valuable?

One of the things I always liked about Sega over Nintendo was that they were less dependant on a few super IPs, and each generation brought a new set of frontrunners to the table. Of course that probably helped get them killed... but I liked it nonetheless. :p

fred

You don't have to "win" to have success. Ps4 is selling more but it's not like the bone hasn't been selling good, it's selling well. It's not a failure, so there's no reason for them to treat it like one.

I wouldn't say it's selling well at all mate. In fact it's been a downright flop in Europe.

It must have sold, what? 4m (probably just over) or so worldwide by now...probably 4.3m at the most. And the Wii U was branded a failure for selling 3.3m this time last year. That's not a great deal of difference tbh.

It won't be long before the PS4 has sold twice as much unless Microsoft drop some serious Megatons at E3...and if it has half the hardware sales it follows that third party publishers are going to see around half the software sales for multiplatform titles. We could end up seeing support dropping off slowly.

Chettlar

Banned
Sorry. What I'm trying to say is, is that they're the worst with 1st-party studios and self-made exclusives in terms of putting out more 1st party titles.

So? Who cares?

The entire reason I went with an Xbox over a playstation this gen was because Microsoft, while they certainly had fewer exclusives, simply had much more fun and better overall quality exclusives. I've simply never enjoyed Sony's games. I just don't find them fun. Very "go through the motions" and "press this button to keep the story going" games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They've already reacted. I don't see it making much difference though.
The company that launched at $600, gave up exclusives, and had inferior multi platform titles still beat them. Now with better hardware and a cheaper price they're going to beat them worse.

They've already dropped the price and it hasn't even been a year. I'd say they know that the way things are going they're gonna lose (or at least come a distant second), and that was their first response.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with their first-party studios at this point. Just dropping the price clearly isn't going to save them.

They've already dropped the price and it hasn't even been a year. I'd say they know that the way things are going they're gonna lose (or at least come a distant second), and that was their first response.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with their first-party studios at this point. Just dropping the price clearly isn't going to save them.

To be fair it wasn't a real price cut.

More of this :

cHelIzW.jpg

rokkerkory

Really depends on how MS defines 'success' this gen.

If it's purely in count of sales, they are in for a rough road.

If it's $ gained, then there is a good chance.

This gen will be around for another 5-6 years. Way too early to call anything.

Technically, no, but Microsoft can't get away with selling at the XB1's original price anymore. I'm pretty confident any official price cut will be at E3, and even then that's less than a year since release.

Yea i also think at E3 they will cut price. I believe sony cut the ps3 price the next e3 after launch[2007]. If that is what they need to do then make it happen.

Biker19

Banned

This. If they drop the price to $450, it won't matter much, since most consumers have already seen the $450 price tag because of retailers doing some bundle deals.

They'll have to go down to $400 to make any sort of impact.

But it was a real price cut in the UK.

I wonder how effective that Titanfall bundle is since the PS4 seems to still be selling at a pretty steady rate. I wish UK numbers were released more often, all we've got recently are percentages which are useless.

To the topic of this thread... oh brother.

This isn't even close to the gap the 360 had over the PS3. MS and the X1 selling 60% better so far at the same time. Come on guys. Nothing is lost. More is to gain from all of this. Cheaper prices and some awesome games in the future.

Color me still on team X1 has the better overall launch of games this far into the new generation.

Anyhoo.. No way is MS out of this.

Now I shall say 10 Hail Gates.

This isn't even close to the gap the 360 had over the PS3. MS and the X1 selling 60% better so far at the same time. Come on guys. Nothing is lost. More is to gain from all of this. Cheaper prices and some awesome games in the future.

At what point in time? The 360 released a year before the PS3 and had all that time to build a lead. These consoles launched within a week of each other and the worldwide sales disparity is 55% in favor of PS4

Top Bottom