• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When the Left Turns on Its Own (NYT Opinion)

Dyle

I'm glad to see a good source that provides a clearer look at what happened here than the mess that was the last thread. The professor is completely in the right and his logic is sound, showing he genuinely wants to deconstruct the campus' racial politics and determine whether the shift in how The Day of Absence was to be done would actually promote positive racial awareness. While you can argue that he was a bit callous and not compassionate to the plight of his student body, but I find it hard to find fault in his views, as expressed both in the email and the video. That being said I don't think it was necessarily a good decision to publish the email as he did and he probably should have gotten a better handle on the campus' mood before sending out something that would, regardless of the validity of its content, incite fierce debate and genuine hurt.

There's something about college campuses that makes any scandal with political tones super controversial and makes everyone go crazy. My alma mater recently decided to not recognize an alt-right group and the tiny portion of a liberal-arts school that browses /pol/ went wild. The group, of course called Students for Free Thought, was denied recognition because they did not do a whole bunch of requirements, wanted to keep the group's membership secret, and because there was already a group that hosted sessions for bipartisan discussion. But the group, which brought in students from another school that had arranged a visit from Milo, managed to claim that the group was not recognized because they were white. Since then members of the group have been posting all kinds of hateful messages around campus and the campus' mood is worse than ever. All because alt right idiots thought they could blatantly not fulfill basic requirements and coast to receive recognition as a campus organization. Many of the students opposed to the group went crazy as well and threw out largely baseless charges of verbal assault (if that's even a thing?) and harassment without pausing to question whether everything they claimed was true.

I've read through this twice and I still don't feel like I have a good grasp of the situation

Embarrassing. Shit like this just gives more fuel to right-wing shitbags.

Everytime someone posts something like this, it is more embarrassing. We need to stop worrying about fueling the right. They don't need fuel. Even if there's nothing, they'll just make shit up. The left needs to stop caring so damn much what the right thinks.

The Video is embarrassing and the school president is a joke. The fact that you can't guarantee one of your teacher's safety while they're teaching tells me you shouldn't be president.

Dryk

The protesters have absolutely no leg to stand on here (you might disagree with what he said in the e-mail, but to call it racist, or even call for his job?
The protestors are obviously free to disagree, but yeah I don't see how any of this was in any way necessary.

gwarm01

Nova is a 20 minute drive from Miami. Don't Tell me your underserved and underrepresented students couldn't just go there, or anywhere else in the state. They are getting the same Federal loans we all took to pay for pharmacy school.

Dyle

Seeing as how I had this professor for two terms - which at Evergreen that means I have 32 credits from him, so I know him pretty well - I think I'm in better position to discuss this than most on this board. I ended up leaving the school after one year for a number of reasons (the closed-minded nature of a large portion of the student body being one of them), and in retrospect, I'm lucky that I did because a degree from this college isn't going to have all that much value after this debacle.

First, let me say this: there's not a racist bone in the guy's body. As he would tell you himself, that doesn't mean he isn't ignorant of how life is for a black person, or a latino, or any other minority (just as he's ignorant to what life is like for a pro athlete, or an actor, etc.), but if he has any prejudice based on arbitrary factors like skin color or gender, I certainly wasn't able to detect it. This is a guy deeply committed to the values of equality and fairness, and I've heard him explicitly state, in great detail and on many different occasions, that our institutions - whether intentional or not - are set up in a way that obviously gives minorities the short end of the stick.

It says a lot that almost none of his former students are on the side of the protesters. Any reasonable person who's spent significant time hearing his ideas would laugh at the idea that he's in any way teaching or promoting racism in his classes. The protesters have absolutely no leg to stand on here (you might disagree with what he said in the e-mail, but to call it racist, or even call for his job? Fucking absurd) and I suspect that vast majority of them haven't even bothered to look into what he said, instead just hearing what their fellow students are saying about him and joining the mob.

Do these students look reasonable to you in any way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1agIlLlhg

The worst part about all of this is it's a right-winger's fantasy; clueless millennial students accuse professor of being racist, and call for his job for daring to have a polite disagreement about a school policy. It's an awful look.

Thanks for your input. Also the school won't be remembered for this, these kinds of controversies always get forgotten after a year or so.

I'd suggest that this kerfuffle should be treated more as an indication of how groups on Evergreen's campus are in need of exterior leadership rather than just writing them off as stupid and foolish. The students are clearly passionate and ready to fight for their rights, but absolutely unaware of how to effectively create the change they want to see in the world. Campus groups, especially at small schools, tend to lack consistent, experienced leadership within the student body and struggle to keep those with a wider view as part of student organizations. With almost the entire student body turning over every four years, groups lose a little bit of collective knowledge every year, and small schools tend to not have the resources to effectively stop this experience atrophy which is why most of these stories come out of small schools rather than large state schools. It's why we need to develop stronger links between college groups and their counterparts beyond campus, because all of this energy that could, and should, be directed towards positive purposes is wasted on purity tests and unprofessional, ineffective methods of protest for protest's sake.

Don't simply count out these students, they need dispassionate guidance more than anything or these kinds of foolish, counterproductive controversies will just continue to happen.

Tagg9

Seeing as how I had this professor for two terms - which at Evergreen that means I have 32 credits from him, so I know him pretty well - I think I'm in better position to discuss this than most on this board. I ended up leaving the school after one year for a number of reasons (the closed-minded nature of a large portion of the student body being one of them), and in retrospect, I'm lucky that I did because a degree from this college isn't going to have all that much value after this debacle.

First, let me say this: there's not a racist bone in the guy's body. As he would tell you himself, that doesn't mean he isn't ignorant of how life is for a black person, or a latino, or any other minority (just as he's ignorant to what life is like for a pro athlete, or an actor, etc.), but if he has any prejudice based on arbitrary factors like skin color or gender, I certainly wasn't able to detect it. This is a guy deeply committed to the values of equality and fairness, and I've heard him explicitly state, in great detail and on many different occasions, that our institutions - whether intentional or not - are set up in a way that obviously gives minorities the short end of the stick.

It says a lot that almost none of his former students are on the side of the protesters. Any reasonable person who's spent significant time hearing his ideas would laugh at the idea that he's in any way teaching or promoting racism in his classes. The protesters have absolutely no leg to stand on here (you might disagree with what he said in the e-mail, but to call it racist, or even call for his job? Fucking absurd) and I suspect that vast majority of them haven't even bothered to look into what he said, instead just hearing what their fellow students are saying about him and joining the mob.

Do these students look reasonable to you in any way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1agIlLlhg

The worst part about all of this is it's a right-winger's fantasy; clueless millennial students accuse professor of being racist, and call for his job for daring to have a polite disagreement about a school policy. It's an awful look.

Thank you for your input, it means a lot hearing that from one of his students. I listened to an interview with him earlier today, and I would argue that the man's ethics and moral compass is beyond fucking reproach.

I wish people would stop referring to this in political terms (left turns on its own, this is an alt-right wet dream, etc.) and just judge the situation based on the facts alone. And from where I'm standing, that means holding the students accountable for the completely unnecessary attacks on his character, and the way they've essentially taken control of the school.

I don't see what's so terrible about the video - campus protests involving chanting, gatherings, emotional speakers all seems like par for the course, and freedom of speech. Calling for a crackdown on them inthe name of free speech sounds, uh, self-defeating.

It's no call for harassment, or trying to get the guy fired, though, and I think the professor was perfectly within his rights to do so. Hopefully he has tenure.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
The Evergreen faculty posted a statement of solidarity with the protestors this morning, declaring their intent to prosecute Bret:

https://i.imgur.com/ZV4FcqZ.png

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zwPLnekTcjlmwO_0IyS7qF33sa40ufi2zAMEP-MU3IE/edit

* Demonstrate accountability by pursuing a disciplinary investigation against Bret Weinstein according to guidelines in the Social Contract and Faculty Handbook. Weinstein has endangered faculty, staff, and students, making them targets of white supremacist backlash by promulgating misinformation in public emails, on national television, in news outlets, and on social media.

They are trying to prosecute him for going on a Talk Show and defending himself against the case that he is a racist

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't think the professor's actions were racist, at least in the way we normally mean it when assigning blame

I also don't think the students idea about excluding white students for a day was in any way out of line frankly.

I think the students frustration is justified. I think that choosing this professor as the locus of that anger is probably not.

This whole situation seems crazy to me. It feels so bizarre that the e-mail posted earlier was in essence a powder keg for many people. I'm watching him on Joe Rogan now and I still feel like I'm missing some x factor that somehow transforms what Weinstein said into something viewed as racist by the people in the videos posted earlier.

I look forward to reading the article about the right turning on the country and minorities and shitting on their own paper principles.

To be perfectly honest I don't see anything wrong with the what was originally proposed as an interesting experiment. The subsequent escalation though....whew. They need to calm their asses down.

That all being said it's interesting that stories like this and stories about how college republicans feeling isolated are so in vogue now when there are racist acts and discrimination constantly occurring on college campuses.

If you go back to the old thread I pointed out this is not just about that one day.

There's still a lot of context still missing from this.

pigeon

Banned
People who wanted young students to not get overzealous should have considered not allowing white supremacists to take over America cause you know that's the kind of thing that can lead to kids getting overexcited

I don't see what's so terrible about the video - campus protests involving chanting, gatherings, emotional speakers all seems like par for the course, and freedom of speech. Calling for a crackdown on them inthe name of free speech sounds, uh, self-defeating.

It's no call for harassment, or trying to get the guy fired, though, and I think the professor was perfectly within his rights to do so. Hopefully he has tenure.

Because it's half perhaps genuine grievances and half just bizarre shit. At 6:04, it seems like he does some very basic hand gestures while speaking and the crowd borderline erupts.

Xe4

Banned
To be perfectly honest I don't see anything wrong with the what was originally proposed as an interesting experiment. The subsequent escalation though....whew. They need to calm their asses down.

That all being said it's interesting that stories like this and stories about how college republicans feeling isolated are so in vogue now when there are racist acts and discrimination constantly occurring on college campuses.
Well, certainly there was nothing wrong with it from an initial point of view. Nicely saying that white people not attending will be viewed as a sign of protest is fine. As long as there was no push to get white students not to come from the school or students themselves, I have 0 problems with it.

Where I do see fault is if said kids were pressured into not attending, or looked down upon for showing up on that day. The problem is I think it's pretty easy to slip from the first situation to the second. I think (from my view of the situation with little info) that is what happened.

devilhawk

I can see why people think that, but it's not. I live in Columbia and it's basically an island of blue in a sea of red. Nearly all of our local politicians are Democrats.
Fair enough.

My main point was how it is easy to see why the enrollment has plummeted. You could be a potential African American student who sees other students claiming it is a racist place or you could be a potential white student and think it looks like the campus is unglued. Neither looks particularly attractive.

Jag

Nova is a 20 minute drive from Miami. Don't Tell me your underserved and underrepresented students couldn't just go there, or anywhere else in the state. They are getting the same Federal loans we all took to pay for pharmacy school.

You do know this is about a school on the complete opposite end of the country from Nova SE?

I can see why people think that, but it's not. I live in Columbia and it's basically an island of blue in a sea of red. Nearly all of our local politicians are Democrats.

I also live in Columbia and can second this. I'm pretty sure Boone County was one of only four counties in Missouri to go for Clinton over Trump (and Sanders won the primary there).

CoMo GAF represent! edit: not that Columbia being in a blue county means there isn't racism and problems with race at MU, but it is a different environment from the rest of Missouri.

Zornack

They should be protesting this jackass for being a follower of Glenn Greenwald, a guy who routinely appears on Tucker Carlson's show to talk about how Russia bashing is deep state fake news and Putin is a victim.

Kerensky

Banned
I didn't know NYT was into alt-hate/alt-fake news either. also warning to OP, last guy that posted this news was banned.

devilhawk

If you go back to the old thread I pointed out this is not just about that one day.

There's still a lot of context still missing from this.
Thank you for the referral. Had to go search for it, but did find the student newspaper article in the closed thread. Having read it, I can quite confidently say that Dr. Weinstein is more articulate, unprejudiced, well-meaning (though far more abstract I must say as a fellow biology doctoral holder) than pretty much anyone on this forum. Not sure you can get more liberal than this guy, maybe even to his own fault.

I didn't know NYT was into alt-hate/alt-fake news either. also warning to OP, last guy that posted this news was banned.
That was for using a shit source, before the NYT ran it, and then after the thread got locked the first time, the poster just made a new thread pasting everything from said shit source without attributing it, trying to be slick.

Oh no, leftwing student activists got a little overzealous. It's weird how there's so many articles about the "fractured left" yet we didn't elect a man child into the highest office nor keep him afloat by electing sniveling coward senators

Maybe if the left wasn't fractured, they'd be able to win elections against manchildren and cowards.

When you turn on your own for stupid ass shit like this, you're destined to lose. This guy has championed for you before your dad shot you out of his left nut and you want his livelihood taken over this bullshit? Get the fuck outta here.

And fuck that pussy ass President. He told the police to stop protecting one of their own professors over something like this? Fucking coward. These are 20 year old kids. They don't know shit yet.

This is a guaranteed way to lose every fucking election you pretend to care about. That video is embarrassing.

It's not surprising that GAF is ignoring this shit. How hard is it to recognize the problems of the left? The right has a bullhorn screaming out their own hypocrisies and bullshit every single day. This is a real problem within liberal academic circles. Not just with this guy. It just so happens that he's pretty far left himself. But there are people in this thread saying "Watch your mouth unless you want to end up like the last guy." (edit: to be fair I'm grouping this sentiment with several people that are agreeing with the protesters). When you find yourself in that spot, you don't support free speech. You support freedom to say whatever you like. This guy couldn't be more on your side but fuck him, right? He had the nerve to say something different.

The right has become a huge joke. But fuck if they're not more organized and flexible than the extreme left.

Are you a joke poster

That guy's a joke poster

Is this what passes for a retort these days? I couldn't give 2 shits about the racist far right or their ilk. They're morons. That doesn't mean the racist and dumbass actions of the far left are any more intelligent.

It's not surprising that GAF is ignoring this shit. How hard is it to recognize the problems of the left? The right has a bullhorn screaming out their own hypocrisies and bullshit every single day. This is a real problem within liberal academic circles. Not just with this guy. It just so happens that he's pretty far left himself. But there are people in this thread saying "Watch your mouth unless you want to end up like the last guy." (edit: to be fair I'm grouping this sentiment with several people that are agreeing with the protesters). When you find yourself in that spot, you don't support free speech. You support freedom to say whatever you like. This guy couldn't be more on your side but fuck him, right? He had the nerve to say something different.

The right has become a huge joke. But fuck if they're not more organized and flexible than the extreme left.

Agreed. I don't know if the far left spawned the far right, but they sure as hell make them stronger.

Pretty easy to be flexible in the right when their only requirement is to be scum in some way.

They're pretty blatant about how little they care for their fellow man. But they're far less likely to attempt to destroy their peer over something they deem out of line. That's why they control the government right now and the left doesn't.

pigeon

Banned
Is this what passes for a retort these days?

I don't like putting more effort into responses than they deserve

Your post is terrible and makes claims that are unproven and inaccurate, as well as making bizarre assumptions off of very little evidence while ignoring the context around that evidence, that's probably why you came to the dumb conclusion you came to

I don't like putting more effort into responses than they deserve

Your post is terrible and makes claims that are unproven and inaccurate, as well as making bizarre assumptions off of very little evidence while ignoring the context around that evidence, that's probably why you came to the dumb conclusion you came to

That's a lot of words used to say absolutely nothing. "You're not worth the response! Except for this!"

They're pretty blatant about how little they care for their fellow man. But they're far less likely to attempt to destroy their peer over something they deem out of line. That's why they control the government right now and the left doesn't.

Do you have something to support that assertion? Because my own theory is the right controls the government because this country is full of bigots.

Do you have something to support that assertion? Because my own theory is the right controls the government because this country is full of bigots.

Republicans control the House, Senate, and Executive branch. That's with a party that doesn't know what it wants to be. There are Republicans reminiscent of 20 years ago that were quite socially progressive and there are Republicans that are ass-fucking backwards. And yet, these divided, dickhead motherfuckers are running shit right now. What's that say about the left?

Top Bottom