• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where should i start with the Suikoden series?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm gonna start 5 this weekend, after playing through the others. I played them in order, except I beat Tierkreis before 5, and I just finished up the 2 Gensou Suikogaiden games (visual novels that take place between 2 and 3).

I really liked 1, 2 and Tierkries (2 may be one of the best games ever, but you'll need to play 1 before it imo). 3, Tactics, and the Suikogaiden games were decent, too. 4 was one of the worst RPGs I've ever played.

thuway

First two are best and are actually related in a chronological order. Also this is one of the few games I'd reccomend playing with a strategy guide.

You'll be amazed at how short Suikoden 1 is, definitely play the series in order. You may get bored with IV, but stick with it for V, which is amazing.

Ralemont

not me
Good choice to start with 1, even though I feel it's dated in every aspect other than its story. And don't skip 4: 20 hours devoted to the Rune of Punishment and having your castle be a pirate ship is worth the time.

Damn this thread is making me want to replay some Suikoden....one of my favorite series of all time. Anyway as others have said play in order...you can skip 4 as it's awful compared to the others.

Dak'kon

I would start with 2,3, or 5.

1 is good, but the story and world just aren't as well drawn. It would be easy to get turned off the series starting here depending on your tolerance for old school by-the-numbers jRPG aesthetics. Also, it just doesn't have the surfeit of heart that makes the series truly shine.

I think 2, 3, and 5 are all GOAT tier. 5 has the best writing, 3 the best OST and most vibrant world, and 2 has the most pure charm. Can't go wrong with any of them. Then go back to 1 and possibly 4 if you really love the series.

I played S1 for the first time three or four months ago and I enjoyed it very much. I thought the world and and particularly the inter-character and familial relationships were quite fleshed out. There were some noticeably absent QoL features though, so I guess it depends on your tolerance of the more longwinded, old school type of game design.

5taquitos

4 isn't as bad as some say, though the cat people are the worst anthropomorphic characters in the series.

It does feature the appearance of a badass character calling back to Suikoden 1, which was by far my favorite part.

Also, I really need the PS2 games on PS4. Really really need.

IV wasn't that hot, but I thought it had way better production values than V. Enemies looked more detailed, and the towns looked nicer as well. V's towns and castles looked incredibly bland to me and lacked any real flair. IV also has a progressive scan option while this was missing from V for some odd reason.

1,2, and 5 for me although I didn't play 4. 3 didn't feel right to me. I think it's graphical style put me off and the story was kind of boring.

Dremark

Banned
2 has a far more complex castle, along with greater variety for runes by allowing for 3 instead of just 1 and army battle system.

I did forget that you can use 3 runes in the second game, that is a significant difference but I don't really see it as a big enough change where 2 is considered much farther ahead than the first game.

More complex castle I suppose is nice but that's not really something that makes the game complex or dated, it's an area you walk around and the army battle system in both games are extremely shallow. If anything I preferred it in the first game as it at least felt unique rather than a massively stripped down SRPG battle system.

Spman2099

So, the first game is pretty rough around the edges these days, but it still has a lot of charm (also, Suikoden 2 is WAY better if you play through Suikoden 1). Suikoden two is when the series gets great. The third game is also excellent. Just skip the fourth; it is very, very bad. The fifth game is also pretty great.

I played S1 for the first time three or four months ago and I enjoyed it very much. I thought the world and and particularly the inter-character and familial relationships were quite fleshed out. There were some noticeably absent QoL features though, so I guess it depends on your tolerance of the more longwinded, old school type of game design.

I like 1 a lot too, but I just don't feel it has the depth of character and relationship that 2 and 5 manage (length may be an issue - 108 characters in 15-20 hours is a lot).

But yes, the main reason I think it's the wrong starting point for most people dipping into this series who didn't cut their teeth on old jrpgs, or who have moved on fully to modern game design, is that can feel like a chore to play (and, unlike 2, it's not too pretty). Of course some will like it, but I imagine some who might enjoy other games in the series will find 1 underwhelming and outdated and not move on to the other games.

Tiu Neo

Don't play it, you will want more and you heart will be broken forever by the current state of Konami. :(

I'd say start with 1 (a bit dated, but short game) and 2 (the best). If you like them, then play 3 (conclusion to some points on 1 and 2) and 5 (just a great game with some callbacks to 2). If you really loved the series, play 4 and Tactics after that. 4 isn't as bad as others say, but it's not as good compared to other Suikoden games. I don't see much reason to play Tactics if you didn't play 4, unless you are a big fan of the genre.

Spman2099

I like 1 a lot too, but I just don't feel it has the depth of character and relationship that 2 and 5 manage (length may be an issue - 108 characters in 15-20 hours is a lot).

I think Suikoden 3 did this the best of all the games. That was the Suikoden game that really made the most of its large cast. The majority of the characters felt well realized and served a purpose. It is probably why I consider it to be the best game in the series.

Suikoden 2 is obviously a gem, though. It is, in my opinion, the best direct sequel ever made.

Also, people are downplaying Suikoden 4's horribleness. It did a few things well. Snow was an interesting, flawed character. However, it is still one of the worst, if not the worst, RPGs on the system.

kswiston

How many games do you beat a year?

The first game plays like a 16bit JRPG with better graphics. The story and characters aren't as developed as modern jrpgs. There are some archaic design choices. However it is still prett fun and is very short. You could do a complete run in about 25 hours if you use a guide to find some of the 108 stars of destiny (most of which are not plot related).

I still think the second game is the best, and since it is in PSN, it is easy/cheap to get. It's a 2d game so it doesn't look fancy, but besides that (and a rocky translation) it's excellent. A complete run on Suikoden 2 is 40-50 hours

Suikoden 3 is also quite good and available as a PS2 classic if you still have your ps3. It moves the series to 3D, but is slower than the other titles. It is also really long. A complete run will probably take you 80-90 hours.

Suikoden 1-3 are all direct sequels, but you won't be lost if you skip a game.

I never played Suikoden 4 despite owning it for years. It's reputation turned me off and it is set a few hundred years before the timeline of the other games, making it easier to skip. I have heard from many people that it isn't a terrible game, so YMMV. It is the second shortest game in the series. A complete run will take you maybe 35 hours.

Suikoden 5 is probably the second best game in the series. It takes place about a decade before Suikoden 1 and contains a lot of series favourite characters. My main two complaints are that it has horrible load times, and that it was clearly made on a budget. It looked rough for a 2006 PS2 title, especially compared to other games around that time (Valkyrie Profile 2, Rogue Galaxy, etc). That might matter less now since all ps2 titles look dated. Suikoden 5 is a bit shorter than 3, but it is still a long game. Probably 70-75 hours for a complete run.

So, if you are an avid gamer, who gets through dozens of games a year, I would say that the entire series might be worth a playthrough. If you don't have over 260 hours to dedicate to 5 games that came out 10-20 years ago, I would at least try 2 and maybe 3 on PSN. If you dislike those, I doubt you will like the others. If money is no object, replace Suikoden 3 with 5. It will cost you $50-60 on Ebay.

EDIT: Also, by complete run, I typically mean that you collected all 108 Stars of Destiny (many of which are playable characters), and any other secret characters. Usually you have to do this to get the true/best ending. It also unlocks an epilogue chapter in Suikoden 3.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was so disappointed that they skipped Flik and Victor in Suikoden 3. They wouldn't have been too old!
They had no reason to be in The Grasslands, though. At least we got a tiny bit of closure to them with Edge inheriting Viktor's sword.

I was so disappointed that they skipped Flik and Victor in Suikoden 3. They wouldn't have been too old!

Me too.

Still praying for Suikoden VI and return of Flik and Victor.

Oh, Suikoden 2 has a school girl that falls in love with Flik, their Unite is surprisingly powerful. Helped me take down Luca.

Zareka

When people say to import a 100% save from 1, do they mean just finish the story or complete all side quests etc too? I'm not very far into 1 but I don't want to miss anything important.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Play IV after the rest and treat it as a distant prequel side-story. You're not getting anything else Suikoden for a while so you might as well pay the entry fee for Tactics, which is a legitimately good game. IV isn't all bad, either. It has a nice high seas aesthetic and a cool villain.

This guy

23-s4-17-022.jpg

suzu

Play them all in order.

You can skip 4 and Tactics if you must, but I still think they're worth a shot.

After all that, proceed onto getting angry at Konami.

kswiston

They had no reason to be in The Grasslands, though. At least we got a tiny bit of closure to them with Edge inheriting Viktor's sword.

It's not all that hard to invent reasons :p

If I ever happen upon a genie that only grants game related wishes, I will wish for Konami to sell the IP to a developer who cares, so that we can get a Suikoden VI in the original universe/continuity.

As long as it isn't a mobile gatcha game, I wouldn't even care what system they choose.

The absolute best two are 2 and 5, and the worst is 4.

But, if given a choice, I'd say play 1-3 and then 5. While 1 is simplistic and a little dated, it's really short and loading a 100 percent save into 2 has a GREAT bonus for that game.

This ^. Suikoden 2 is easily the best one (one of my favorite games ever) and there are some extra scenes if you load your Suikoden 1 save file, plus an extra character. It takes place only a few years after the first one, so there are many returning characters and its pretty neat to see them show up.

kswiston

This ^. Suikoden 2 is easily the best one (one of my favorite games ever) and there are some extra scenes if you load your Suikoden 1 save file, plus an extra character. It takes place only a few years after the first one, so there are many returning characters and its pretty neat to see them show up.

Suikoden 2 has the most memorable characters/scenario of the franchise, and generally did everything well.

I do like the skill system added in Suikoden 3 and refined in the sequels. If the battles were quicker/didn't have crazy loading, I think Suikoden 5 would definitely have the best general gameplay in the franchise. Suikoden V's RTS army battles were the bane of my existence. I liked the direction that Suikoden 3 went with those, but would have much preferred the old paper-scissor-rock stuff over mandatory RTS battles. I like RTS games too. Those were just shitty RTS battles.

semisonic

Banned
So far what others have said. 1, 2, 3, and 5 are all fantastic, and while you don't have to play 4, you should at least listen to the godlike opening. Seriously, 3 and 4's openings are so fucking amazing i can't even.

SolVanderlyn

Suikoden 2 has the most memorable characters/scenario of the franchise, and generally did everything well.

I do like the skill system added in Suikoden 3 and refined in the sequels. If the battles were quicker/didn't have crazy loading, I think Suikoden 5 would definitely have the best general gameplay in the franchise. Suikoden V's RTS army battles were the bane of my existence. I liked the direction that Suikoden 3 went with those, but would have much preferred the old paper-scissor-rock stuff over mandatory RTS battles. I like RTS games too. Those were just shitty RTS battles.
It's weird that no Suikoden game has the "best" everything, at least for me. The scripted army battles and easy difficulty in II were awful, III had the terrible partner system, and V had severe loading and encounter rate problems. For everything each game improves on it does something else worse.

LiK

Original trilogy is the only installments you need to play. I love the way they're connected. People mentioned V is a must play but i never played it.

When people say to import a 100% save from 1, do they mean just finish the story or complete all side quests etc too? I'm not very far into 1 but I don't want to miss anything important.

A 100% save file is just recruiting all 108 stars which will be pretty rough for a first play through of 1 without a guide. Even if you don't recruit all of them, import the file into 2 anyway and you'll get 99.9999% of the benefit anyway.

kromeo

Original trilogy is the only installments you need to play. I love the way they're connected. People mentioned V is a must play but i never played it.

You missed out, some of my favourite characters in any jrpg. Music was great as well

I think Suikoden 3 did this the best of all the games. That was the Suikoden game that really made the most of its large cast. The majority of the characters felt well realized and served a purpose. It is probably why I consider it to be the best game in the series.

Suikoden 2 is obviously a gem, though. It is, in my opinion, the best direct sequel ever made.

Also, people are downplaying Suikoden 4's horribleness. It did a few things well. Snow was an interesting, flawed character. However, it is still one of the worst, if not the worst, RPGs on the system.

I agree 3 did a better job of giving more development to more characters (thanks Trinity system!). I just don't think the core relationships are quite as well drawn as in 2/5, though I still love them.

As for 4, it's pretty bad, but I really liked the end game, collecting the most powerful characters and such.

Counterpoint from someone who's actually played V, play it. It's awesome, and, aside from slow loading, holds up great, in large part thanks to the evergreen writing and characterization. Easily one of the best ps2 RPGs.

Uh, not to be snarky but I really don't get your point here. "I've never tried it, therefore I won't like it" - my 3 year old telling me why she won't try pumpkin pie.

kswiston

It's weird that no Suikoden game has the "best" everything, at least for me. The scripted army battles and easy difficulty in II were awful, III had the terrible partner system, and V had severe loading and encounter rate problems. For everything each game improves on it does something else worse.

JRPG devs seem(ed) to be under the mindset that they have to mix things up with every entry. Maybe Final Fantasy is to blame for that?

Suikoden 2 worked so well because it was basically just a refinement of the first game. We got a better scenario and more memorable characters. We got a more elaborate build-a-castle system, more mini games and sidequests, and an expanded rune system. Everything was built upon rather than tossed/replaced. I agree with your complaints about Suikoden 2, but those were problems with the first game as well, so at the time fans of the first had little to complain about.

Suikoden 3 and 4 decided that they had to be drastic departures in many ways. Some of what they introduced worked, but just as much (if not more) didn't. Suikoden V was sort of a return to form, but by then Konami didn't really care about the series, and customers were busy with other things.

I agree 3 did a better job of giving more development to more characters (thanks Trinity system!). I just don't think the core relationships are quite as well drawn as in 2/5, though I still love them.

Suikoden 3's trinity system was an interesting concept, and it was sort of cool to see some moments from different viewpoints. However, it added a ton of bloat to the game. I also really disliked having my base building relegated to the two Thomas chapters and the final chapter when all the story threads converge. I think that I would have sacrificed the "experiencing both sides' novelty for a more cohesive core scenario that ran 20 hours shorter.

I wish more JRPGs used the Duel system in Suikoden. They made bosses like Luca and Teo much more memorable. Plus the whole 108 stars of destiny is genius. Watching your castle grow as more and more people are recruited is the best thing ever.

Suikoden 3's trinity system was an interesting concept, and it was sort of cool to see some moments from different viewpoints. However, it added a ton of bloat to the game. I also really disliked having my base building relegated to the two Thomas chapters and the final chapter when all the story threads converge. I think that I would have sacrificed the "experiencing both sides' novelty for a more cohesive core scenario that ran 20 hours shorter.

Yeah I liked the idea of the trinity system, but the implementation of it wasn't all that stellar. Also lack of a regular world map hurt and you were forced to slowly trudge across the same wilderness areas over and over again. Suikoden 3 can just be a real drag.

SolVanderlyn

The Trinity System showed that Suikoden can shine ten times brighter when its heroes aren't silent protagonists.

If we weren't hurting so badly for a Harmonia game, I'd love to see a game covering the Flame Champion. He looks and functions like the heroes from the other four games. It's almost like Suikoden III tells the aftermath of the typical Suikoden story, rather than the main event. You even name the champion instead of the characters you play as.

I agree there was some needless overlap. But I still, on balance, prefer this system for a game with so many characters. And I loved Thomas' chapters - the removal of emphasis on battle allowed a much homier and charming take on base building that I found to be a great palate cleanser.

OuterLimits

The entire series is good, with the exception of 4. Although, it is still worth playing if you combine it with Tactics.

Suikoden 5 sold horribly which is a shame because the story and characters were outstanding. The rather poor graphics and slow start to the game are negatives, but the story honestly makes up for the underwhelming aspects.

2 and 5 are my favorites, but I do like that 3 tried something different with the Trinity system, even though it had some issues.

Top Bottom