• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the hell is Vanguard Princess Prime?

Image Courtesy of OmegaDL50
url.gif

One of my favorite fighting games since 2008 has been Vanguard Princess, I love the fuck outta that game. A unique 2v2 fighter brought to you by Suge9 with glamorous visuals, an all female cast, unique movesets, and an intricate fighting system that is reminiscent of past games filled with depth. I honestly rank it up there with Garou and 3S. To the inexperienced it might seem simple and similar to ST, but to the more experienced and creative, that game's depth is off the charts. Parrying, Assists, back dash, and unique hit stuns/responses lend into a huge variety of situational depth and setups.

It's definitely one of the most overlooked fighters in my opinion, and the one that needs a community the most. The last update to be released was the official Windows port with English translations and what not. (I think it was 1.08 version). In the meantime, I've been sitting here hankering for Vanguard Princess Prime. And this new character that's been teased since 2012 (I think, it's been a long ass time.)

2010-07-16-303531.jpeg

Street Sign Action

20100630235845a1c.jpg

God I love Suge's sprite work, shit's so good with his use of gradients and subtle checkers.

To top things off, check out the Unseen64 to see what could've been in the game makes me soooo hype about it.... And so lonely. lol

If you interested in checking out, you can pick it up on Amazon, [This game needs support]

But to get to the point, It's been a while since I've heard about any real updates to the game.... Where the hell is that Prime?

EDIT: There's a Steam Greenlight and Discussion Page!

Anonumos

Banned
I really like the sprites and animations in this game. It's too bad I can't stand the theme because of the animu-underage-boobs-and-panties bullshit going on.

We need more games like this, but with a more "serious" approach because this sprite work itself is really nice.

OmegaDL50

I remember when Vanguard Princess at a time I used to post on the SRK forums.

This was before it got a sem-official release.

Hold up! The game is STILL available to download on the official developers website for free.

http://suge9.blog58.fc2.com/blog-entry-21.html

This of course applies to version 1.07, I don't even know if the one being sold on Amazon is a newer revision.

EDIT: If buy under age cast, you mean 3 out of the 10 characters in total, then that statement would be correct, outside of 1st, 3rd and 5th character on the top row, the rest of the cast look to be 17 or older

url.gif

I really like the sprites and animations in this game. It's too bad I can't stand the theme because of the animu-underage-boobs-and-panties bullshit going on.

We need more games like this, but with a more "serious" approach because this sprite work itself is really nice.

I think when you get into it, you kinda get over the girly theme, sex appeal and fanservice. [I shoulda got some less revealing shots to be honest.]

But all that shit aside I really love it because it's a down to earth good ass fighting game. I mean there are other fighters that cover the serious themes and whatnot, but there are very few all girls themed fighters I actually enjoy on mechanical levels.

Hold up! The game is STILL available to download on the official developers website for free.

This of course applies to version 1.07, I don't even know if the one being sold on Amazon is a newer revision.

Yup! I didn't post the free link because I wanted to encourage support for the game it is just $5. I think the Amazon version might be 1.07 I'm not sure.

Category G

Neo Member
No idea about the Prime version, but the original version is apparently up on Steam Greenlight now. Seems the guy covering the Greenlight submission is fairly active, so might be worthwhile asking them about it.

No idea about the Prime version, but the original version is apparently up on Steam Greenlight now. Seems the guy covering the Greenlight submission is fairly active, so might be worthwhile asking them about it.

That's great to hear, I've been worried that the game might end up as the greatest loss of potential in gaming history. Is there any way to get in contact with them about it and future plans for it? Could steam be a sign of possible multiplayer on the horizon?

Category G

Neo Member
That's great to hear, I've been worried that the game might end up as the greatest loss of potential in gaming history. Is there any way to get in contact with them about it and future plans for it? Could steam be a sign of possible multiplayer on the horizon?

The discussion section is fairly active. Seems they do intend to add in multi-player too for the Steam version.

GorillaJu

The all-female cast thing is a bit of a turn off for me because it's the kind of thing you can't introduce to other people without raising a few eyebrows, but the game is super, super fun. I think it could definitely get a nice, dedicated following in the FGC if it weren't so focused on bouncing titties

Anonumos

Banned

EDIT: If buy under age cast, you mean 3 out of the 10 characters in total, then that statement would be correct, outside of 1st, 3rd and 5th character on the top row, the rest of the cast look to be 17 or older

url.gif

Also, it is to be noted that this image doesn't do justice to what the sprites actually look like. The gradients here are really fucked up. It looks smooth in videos.

Violet_0

Banned

I guess you can say that because they are smaller than the other fighters, since they all have the same face (lol anime)

OmegaDL50

Just giving everyone a heads up that Vanguard Princess has been added as an upcoming bonus for the Groupee's Build-a-Dojin Bundle.

http://groupees.com/doujin2

The English localized version includes bug fixes and extras that the original version didn't even have. According to EigoMANGA, the finalized Steam release may contain some extras over the freeware release that Suge9 developed. Notably Survival mode, netplay via Steamworks, Trading Cards / Steam Backgrounds, and a few others.

As referencing to the FAQ here - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/187111395/792924412473535628/

Hopefully this gets Greenlit and these additional features are included. I'm looking forward to that at least.

OmegaDL50

I am not the sort of person to normally do this, but I just generally have a problem when a game publisher tries to screw some of the fan base by some unscrupulous methods. For one thing, I think the fact should be mentioned that the original Japanese release of Vanguard Princess was released entirely as freeware by the original developer Suge9.

In fact one can simply go to the original devs website here - http://suge9.blog58.fc2.com/blog-entry-10.html and as you can see the game is available on his website for anyone.

So establishing the fact that a fully functional freeware version exists brings me to the current issue. Recently Groupees an up and coming bundle organizer much like the Humble Bundle or IndieGala bundle groups.

They recently just had their Build-A-Dojin Bundle 2
http://groupees.com/doujin2

One of the games included in said bundle was Vanguard Princess. At the time when game was given out to everyone who bought the bundle. Everyone first thought the version bundle purchasers received was a broken download. Only story mode was available, versus mode was completely inaccessible and being able to set controls for player two did not work at all. Having followed this situation from the very beginning. This issue was brought to eigoMANGA (the English publisher of Vanguard Princes) on the Steam Community forums. Several questions were asked in regards to this crippled version of Vanguard Princess to those that bought the Groupee's bundle.

The publisher at times dodged questions, basically said everything was working as intended. As you can see in the "Ask me anything topic" Starting page 12

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/187111395/792924412241890578/#p12

Someone over a Groupees downloaded the demo version of VP located here on the official eigoMANGA website for Vanguard Princess - http://www.eigomanga.com/vanguard/index-us.html and compared it with the version uploaded to Groupees.

Which lead to the discovery that the version people received for buying the Groupees Bundle was a Demo. I spoke with one of the Administrators at Groupees, by the name of Eric in regards to this issue. He explained that it was publisher that provides the build for the game to be uploaded for bundle purchasers.

So again back to the Steam forums asking eigoMANGA in regards to version released on Groupees in whether or not the version they provided was a Demo or not. After some deliberation and excuses about having a DRM-Free version available would lead to piracy, which is why the version they gave Groupees was a Demo.

Groupees finally getting the truth out of eigoMANGA updated the bundle page regarding the situation (As you can see if go to the page on the link above)

Even considering the fact an entirely freeware version exists and can obtained to this very day, said freeware version being functionally no different than eigoMANGA's 1.4.1 version with the exception of the translation and minor bug fixes.

As said here - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...11395/792924412241890578/#c792924412242357191

No my problem isn't the fact a Steam version is going to exist

It's the fact that eigoMANGA thought they could be shady enough to include a demo in a bundle that needs to be purchased to obtain. The fact that people literally bought a demo release of the game and this effects those who have no intentions of getting a Steam account and want DRM-free version. Yes that is the main issue.

I don't even know if detective GAF considers this situation worth making a big issue out of. I just think this kind of crap shouldn't be tolerated. If it was a major developer doing this stuff it would be the akin to a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

Top Bottom