• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's my Fallout 3 teaser Bethesda?!

woeds

That was hot. But seeing that this is from the people who made Oblivion, I'm not getting my hopes up....

MingisDew

Dolphin said:
When is a game developer going to realize that a post apocalyptic future doesn't have to be brown and desaturated?
When I think Fallout, I think of bunnies, rainbows and candy too. BFF!

Chiggs

Personally, I don't think there was one spectacular or noteworthy thing in that teaser.

That said, this is a day one purchase.

Dolphin

Banned
MingisDew said:
When I think Fallout, I think of bunnies, rainbows and candy too. BFF!
I think of clichés!

Just because it's an apocalyptic future, doesn't mean it has to be all drab. I assume color still exists in the future.

MingisDew

Its the third game in a solid series. Last I checked, Fallout was a gritty world. Unless of course they wander into an Apple store. I think it would still be clean even after a nuke hit. Sweeping FTW.

KTallguy

Banned
Dolphin said:
I think of clichés!

Just because it's an apocalyptic future, doesn't mean it has to be all drab. I assume color still exists in the future.

Have you played the previous games?
When the world is brown and dusty, it just makes the times when the environment is colorful all the more striking.

Krowley said:
Secondly, I'll never understand why first person is such a scary thing for fallout fans. Bethesda would be stupid to make a carbon copy of the original fallouts.. Firstly the gameplay is dated in many ways, and secondly we've already played fallout 1 and 2 and this game needs to be something new. It needs to expand the audience for fallout beyond the hardcore old school fallout fans... If the franchise had continued it would have gradualy changed over time anyway.

Expanding the audience is all well and good. I want more people to enjoy Fallout. However WTF, why does that mean that it needs to be first person? Why can't they innovate in other ways? Why can't they rehaul the RPG system without changing it to an FPS?

I still enjoy turn based SRPGs and action rpgs. Innovation =/= first person view. Innovation =/= Real time combat. There's plenty of things that haven't been done with 3rd person/isometric, turn based combat. There's plenty of ways that they could make the game fun and appealing without making the game a FPS.

Again, FPS does not equal innovation. Real time does not equal 'better gameplay'.

Edit: If you're interested in trying an FPS Fallout, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is quite good. Although it lacks the writing, complexity and variety of Fallout, it's definitely the closest anyone has ever gotten.

Dolphin

Banned
I'm not saying everything has to be clean, what I'm saying is that there can be plenty of color and vibrance in a setting like Fallout. They don't have to follow the conventional "nuclear future doesn't have color" route.

4pkkjlf.jpg

Look, Chernobyl. Pretty colors.

And yeah, I played the previous games, they were drab and gritty. Great. Precident doesn't have to hinder creativity.

besada

Banned
After looking at the film in more detail, and holding my nose through the NMA boards, I hereby predict that this is a prequel to Fallout.

Reasons: Many paper products looking too new to have gone 200 years. There appears to still be Nuka-Cola in the bottle (although it might be sand). The armor looks like an older, less technically-capable version of the BoS power armor. The cities have not been successfully scavenged. Hunch.

I suspect, and will be proven right or wrong in time, that Fallout 3 will be immediately post-apocalyptic, with government forces still attempting to keep things in line, years before the action in Fallout 1.

That's my hunch.

Jenga

Banned
If it's an FPS my interest will just die off. Honestly, how many more FPS games do we need?
Besada, it's rumored that F3 will take place on the east coast. Perhaps that's why it looks so different.

Dolphin said:
I think of clichés!

you assume incorrectly /mr.seriousface

I suspect, and will be proven right or wrong in time, that Fallout 3 will be immediately post-apocalyptic, with government forces still attempting to keep things in line, years before the action in Fallout 1.

That's my hunch.

according to Fallout 1 & 2, the government leaders escaped to the vaults, the people above who survived live either in small city states or in anarchy

besada

Banned
Jenga said:
If it's an FPS my interest will just die off. Honestly, how many more FPS games do we need?
Besada, it's rumored that F3 will take place on the east coast. Perhaps that's why it looks so different.

Oh, I totally assume it's East Coast. Why would Bethesda center themselves in the same area as the originals when it would only mean constant complaining when they stray over some canonical line? I still think it's pre-Fallout 1, set near and around DC (for obvious reasons). No way to know until we see and hear more, of course. Unless there's a Beth employee out there who wants to PM me that I guessed right:)

besada

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
you assume incorrectly /mr.seriousface

according to Fallout 1 & 2, the government leaders escaped to the vaults, the people above who survived live either in small city states or in anarchy

Yes, I'm suggesting that the gameplay period will be while the government is still trying to run things out of the vaults. I mean IMMEDIATELY post-apocalyptic. So the period when everyone alive still remembers the old world, and the political realities of the Fallout world are being set.

Of course, I'm just guessing.

Jenga said:
Uh, didn't Gameinformer mention they were doing a cover story on a UNANNOUNCED sequel to a videogaming classic? I'm disappointed. I wanted a new Ultima.
Wasn't that GFW?
besada said:
Yes, I'm suggesting that the gameplay period will be while the government is still trying to run things out of the vaults. I mean IMMEDIATELY post-apocalyptic. So the period when everyone alive still remembers the old world, and the political realities of the Fallout world are being set.

Of course, I'm just guessing.
Hmm my Fallout mythos is rusty but the first game Power armor was actually the first model right?

Jenga

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Wasn't that GFW?

Hmm my Fallout mythos is rusty but the first game Power armor was actually the first model right?
I think so. The first Power Armor was from The Brotherhood, the second version was from the Enclave.

besada

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Wasn't that GFW?

The first model any of them knew about. Some of where I'm getting this from is the new armor (according to the NMAers who actually know the callsigns for it) appears to look like an alpha version of the first suit of power armor. Bigger, clunkier, less refined. Ergo maybe older?

One of the things I have a problem with is that the information gleaned so far (by people who lived 200 years after the event) is being treated as perfect historical knowledge. People 200 years distant never get a perfectly clear picture of the past. So, Bethsoft can have a freer hand and just say that in the last hundred years information got lost and things changed.

Interesting to think about, anyway. It saves them some heartache, because they don't have to dance around the canon to tell new stories, and gives them a ton of places to insert some fan service by showing pre-Fallout versions of the Fallout classic weapons and armor.

besada said:
One of the things I have a problem with is that the information gleaned so far (by people who lived 200 years after the event) is being treated as perfect historical knowledge. People 200 years distant never get a perfectly clear picture of the past. So, Bethsoft can have a freer hand and just say that in the last hundred years information got lost and things changed.
That's a lame excuse, there was a great deal of background on the previous game in the form of datadisc you could read on the Pipboy.
Although I think this one will be set after Fallout 2 since "you know who" died on that game and now it's set on DC.

besada said:
The first model any of them knew about. Some of where I'm getting this from is the new armor (according to the NMAers who actually know the callsigns for it) appears to look like an alpha version of the first suit of power armor. Bigger, clunkier, less refined. Ergo maybe older?

Interesting to think about, anyway. It saves them some heartache, because they don't have to dance around the canon to tell new stories, and gives them a ton of places to insert some fan service by showing pre-Fallout versions of the Fallout classic weapons and armor.

well most of what we know of the Fallout timeline isn't from the game's characters but the intro narration "war...war never changes..."

I think a game that takes place right after the war would be a pretty great idea but I think it would have little to do with the vaults or the people inside them since they said they remained sealed for many years

Krowley

KTallguy said:
Have you played the previous games?
When the world is brown and dusty, it just makes the times when the environment is colorful all the more striking.

Expanding the audience is all well and good. I want more people to enjoy Fallout. However WTF, why does that mean that it needs to be first person? Why can't they innovate in other ways? Why can't they rehaul the RPG system without changing it to an FPS?

I still enjoy turn based SRPGs and action rpgs. Innovation =/= first person view. Innovation =/= Real time combat. There's plenty of things that haven't been done with 3rd person/isometric, turn based combat. There's plenty of ways that they could make the game fun and appealing without making the game a FPS.

Again, FPS does not equal innovation. Real time does not equal 'better gameplay'.

Edit: If you're interested in trying an FPS Fallout, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is quite good. Although it lacks the writing, complexity and variety of Fallout, it's definitely the closest anyone has ever gotten.

I'm not saying that it has to be FPS or real time.. I'm just saying that i'm not turned off by the idea.

I have no particular expectations for this game but I'm open minded to any kind of changes as long as the skill system is roughly similar and the writing/vibe is close to the originals. They can do anything they want with the gameplay as long as there is plenty of choice and they make it fun.

Jenga said:
I think so. The first Power Armor was from The Brotherhood, the second version was from the Enclave.

There was plenty of pre-war Powered Armor, the US used it extensively right up to the Great War. The model that the person in the teaser is wearing is a pre-great war model and not the more advanced stuff developed by the Enclave.

It seems reasonable that a different faction altogether, maybe even some remnant of Columbia (the US Commonwealth were FO3 looks to take place) government is intact and has some kind of force contingent.

Edit: Getting away from the Western setting in FO3 was a really smart decision. The teaser looks really nice and I can't wait to see more.

firex

power armor existed all the way to before the war, going by some of the disks you can find in the first Fallout game. it was basically made again by the Brotherhood after they used their remaining suits to find some of the old data.

The Brotherhood and Enclave are just different offshoots of the US military in the post-apocalyptic US, who happen to have a lot of the old military technology, which is what allows them to be such major powers.

And it's not like Fallout 1/2 both took place 200 years after the war. The first is about 80 years later, although the second is closer to the 200 year timeframe. If I had to guess, they're going to base this game more off Fallout Tactics, which makes a lot of sense. I'm just glad they at least got the art and feel of the games. Besides, if this game sucks, maybe someday Obsidian can pull a Bioshock and make a game that will feel like a real Fallout 3, but not in the same universe.

nubbe said:
Is that thing in the middle of the wasted town a lanch pad or the tower from HL2?

Pretty sure that's what's left of the Washington Monument.

Powered armor was first deployed, according to the FO bible/wiki, a decade before the Great War to fight the Chinese in Alaska.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
besada said:
Considering how much money Bethsoft made off the console version of Oblivion, was anyone surprised that they're going to make this for consoles?
Oblivion was Bethsoft's game, raping and stupidifying the TES franchise was their own problem.

I think Betheda would have made the same game-minus some interface issues-if it was just PC only. Oblivion was the direction they wanted to take with the series, and they did it.

A lot of people liked it, and some hated it, but I don't think you can blame the consoles the same way that you can blame them for something like Invisible War.

Krowley said:
First of all, that confirms nothing... I'm pretty sure there are many examples of a single engine being used for both first and 3rd person games.

Secondly, I'll never understand why first person is such a scary thing for fallout fans. Bethesda would be stupid to make a carbon copy of the original fallouts.. Firstly the gameplay is dated in many ways, and secondly we've already played fallout 1 and 2 and this game needs to be something new. It needs to expand the audience for fallout beyond the hardcore old school fallout fans... If the franchise had continued it would have gradualy changed over time anyway.

edit// and as to the worry that it will be dumbed down because of gamepad design.. Bethesda did a great job of that on Morrowind and from all reports, oblivion plays just fine on a gamepad and on PC.

The only thing this confirms is that the game probably won't have a point and click type of interface and hopefully nobody was expecting that anyway.
Have you ever played a Fallout game?

If they wanna change the game in such a way then it simply isn't Fallout. Its like saying its ok for Mario to become an action shooter.

And btw, if the franchise had continued:
http://www.fallout3.phx.pl/obrazki/nowiny/fallout3_08.jpg

Clevinger

firex said:
power armor existed all the way to before the war, going by some of the disks you can find in the first Fallout game. it was basically made again by the Brotherhood after they used their remaining suits to find some of the old data.

The Brotherhood and Enclave are just different offshoots of the US military in the post-apocalyptic US, who happen to have a lot of the old military technology, which is what allows them to be such major powers.

And it's not like Fallout 1/2 both took place 200 years after the war. The first is about 80 years later, although the second is closer to the 200 year timeframe. If I had to guess, they're going to base this game more off Fallout Tactics, which makes a lot of sense. I'm just glad they at least got the art and feel of the games. Besides, if this game sucks, maybe someday Obsidian can pull a Bioshock and make a game that will feel like a real Fallout 3, but not in the same universe.

I suppose this refers to a combination of art, canon, the number of pop culture references etc. But one of the earliest interviews for the game that DAC conducted had Todd Howard saying that the game would be following Fallout 1's example for the direction of the game more than anything else in the series.

the teaser looked great, even if it is a change from the older Fallout games (well, only talking about Fallout 1 and 2, not those bad console ones), im sure that Bethesda will have it turn out great.

Zenith

Banned
besada said:
1. If you can show me that the sales of just the PC director's version of Fahrenheit got anywhere close to the number of sales Bethesda needs to make to pay for the creation of Fallout 3, I'll take a week ban. You willing to make the same bet?

2. You keep bringing up GTA:SA like it has some bearing here. It was released and the majority of copies sold while it was rated M. You know this, but you keep pretending it isn't so, which makes you seem pretty dishonest.

3. You're the one who apparently thinks it's easy to release a child-killing game and make money at it. If that's the case, you'll need to make your own, because no one else is that stupid.

4. Added you to ignore because I've got better things to do than listen to someone who doesn't have an ounce of business or common sense.

if all else fails, add to ignore, eh? you bailed because you couldn't think of any counter-arguments. way to totally validate my position.

besada

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
If they wanna change the game in such a way then it simply isn't Fallout. Its like saying its ok for Mario to become an action shooter.

Isn't it more like saying it's okay for Mario games to go from 2D platformers to 3D adventure game/platformers?

besada

Banned
Zenith said:
if all else fails, add to ignore, eh? you bailed because you couldn't think of any counter-arguments. way to totally validate my position.

Well, apparently ignore isn't working. I stated my counter-arguments and bet a week's ban. Are you in, or are you full of it? Find me a game released as an AO title that sold the number of copies Bethsoft needs to sell. I'll let the moderators decide if you came up with the goods.

I'm willing to stand by what I said. What are you willing to do other than talk trash and claim victory while bleeding out?

Krowley

Metalmurphy said:
Have you ever played a Fallout game?

And btw, if the franchise had continued:
http://www.fallout3.phx.pl/obrazki/nowiny/fallout3_08.jpg

Yes i've played both fallouts...

And it was ok for mario to go from being linear to being open world in 3d. Gameplay changes are to be expected over time. Sometimes they will be drastic... I had no problems with metroid becoming first person for example. I welcomed it.

I've seen pics of the thing you linked too and I'm not impressed. That looks like a game that I've already played. If I want that, i'll go back and replay fallout 2. I think they need to mantain the essence of fallout, but the interface, camera and gameplay are not really that important in my opinion. In fact, they're ripe for drastic changes because they weren't the strongest aspects of the game. It's all about the world, atmosphere, choices and the character building system. Obviously you disagree and I guess that's ok.

From my perspective, fallout is particularly suited for deus ex style gameplay because of the emphasis on guns and the single character focus.

Dolphin

Banned
besada said:
Well, apparently ignore isn't working. I stated my counter-arguments and bet a week's ban. Are you in, or are you full of it? Find me a game released as an AO title that sold the number of copies Bethsoft needs to sell. I'll let the moderators decide if you came up with the goods.

I'm willing to stand by what I said. What are you willing to do other than talk trash and claim victory while bleeding out?
Why do you care?

Avalon

I really can't say anything negative about what I just saw. There are still no answers to the really important questions though.

I can live with real-time and first person. These things are unavoidable and I just hope they take the time to make truly challenging mechanics with RPG elements that really matter (none of this manual dexterity stumps all bull shit). I want a truly open-ended story that really offers role-playing options. The thing that worries me the most is that I keep getting the feeling that they are going to go for some truly "epic" story. That just seems so wrong. The whole point of Fallout was making your own path and creating your own story.

Krowley said:
And it was ok for mario to go from being linear to being open world in 3d. Gameplay changes are to be expected over time. Sometimes they will be drastic... I had no problems with metroid becoming first person for example. I welcomed it.

Ah, but the gameplay style was the same, it was still a platformer, going 3D won't be the only change that Fallout 3 will have. Specially now that it was announced for consoles.

Top Bottom