• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 3D Mario should I start with?

What a crappy thread. You play the best first, you don't recommend one so that others he plays later will be better, because that might never happen. He's not experiencing this in 1996 like we did and were able to follow the progression to better games. My first Miyazaki film was Princess Mononoke and because of that I wanted to go back for more. As great as M64 is, you should play Galaxy. It's far more modern and will ask you to sacrifice much less so that it is not as much of a shock in playing a retro game. It's also just a better game.

I will never forget that time that I pushed the stick upwards were I wanted to go and Mario decided to walk a wide turn and he fell of in the exact opposite direction.

I swear this what happened and I don't understand why, I raged quit after that, it was in Bowser world 1, was trying to get the last red coin, was playing Wii virtual console version.
VHvzDSj.png

Mario will only do a wide turn if he retains momentum, if you're at a complete standstill, then Mario will snap in the opposite direction

I was never a big fan of Galaxy. It made me sick if I played it too long which is something that hasn't happened to me with any other games before. Sunshine is my favorite but I'd say play Mario 64, especially if you can appreciate a game for what it was at the time. I never really had the nostalgia connection for 64 because I first played through it in 2004, but the level design and structuring are incredible for such an early 3D game and the controls are still great, with the exception of the camera.

rjc571

Banned
Mario will only do a wide turn if he retains momentum, if you're at a complete standstill, then Mario will snap in the opposite direction

He does a wide turn if you don't push the stick in the exact opposite direcction he's facing (or within an extremely small window). It's definitely an issue with the controls that is likely to victimize new players, along with accidentally jumping from Mario's walk animation because the game requires an unusually high level of momentum before letting you move at a speed necessary to do a normal jump.

I really hope the OP isn't turned off of 3D Mario games forever after he experiences Mario 64's archaic gameplay firsthand while under the mistaken impression that this is the best (or even close to the best) that the series has to offer.

Play them in order.

Judging from the previews, sm64 will be the best introduction to odyssey.

Don't play the ds version of 64, the controls suck unless you have the old thumbstrap, and even then they're not great.

From everything I've seen it looks more like a coninuation of Galaxy's creativity but with a new world structure. To me Galaxy should be the best introduction to Odyssey...I think it's the Mario game to beat so SMO has big shoes to fill. ;)

EDIT: Clarifying because of limited time I want to allocate to other games, I really only have time for one of these games leading up to Odyssey.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13253206[/B]

If you can only play one Mario game and 3D World is not an option, then play one of the Galaxies. Mario 64 holds up but is a little archaic and can be quite frustrating in parts. It's a game I'd recommend going back to at another time if you can.

Dies Iræ

What a crappy thread. You play the best first, you don't recommend one so that others he plays later will be better, because that might never happen. He's not experiencing this in 1996 like we did and were able to follow the progression to better games. My first Miyazaki film was Princess Mononoke and because of that I wanted to go back for more. As great as M64 is, you should play Galaxy. It's far more modern and will ask you to sacrifice much less so that it is not as much of a shock in playing a retro game. It's also just a better game.

Mario 64 is a great game for the same reason that people still play Pokemon Yellow and Age of Empires 2. It nails all of the fundamentals.

When a game nails its design, it's classic and timeless. It's not obvious to me that because Galaxy is more "modern" that it's a "better" game. That's an arbitrary metric.

lonerism

Playing 64 in 2017 feels incredibly outdated, I think you are better off playing de DS version (with the 3DS)

I love Sunshine and I will defend it to the death

My top 5 would be: Sunshine > Galaxy 2 > 64 > Galaxy 1 > 3D World (Worst Mario ever imo, I hate it)

But yeah, Galaxy is the most accessible Mario in 2017... So you may want to start with that one

Stoze

"If you can only play one..."

Unless OP vows to never play a 3D Mario again after playing 64, he's not going to be playing only one. The question is which one should I start with and play before Odyssey this year (so he already plans on two before year's end), not "I'm only going to play one 3D Mario game ever in my lifetime, so which one"?

It's not a big deal, and I'm willing to bet OP is intelligent enough to understand that 64 is a 21-year-old 3D game so it's obviously going to be archaic in places.

Hakai

Dies Iræ;241617405 said:
Mario 64 is a great game for the same reason that people still play Pokemon Yellow and Age of Empires 2. It nails all of the fundamentals.

When a game nails its design, it's classic and timeless. It's not obvious to me that because Galaxy is more "modern" that it's a "better" game. That's an arbitrary metric.

This.

I actually play 64 almost every year and the game never felt old to me, to be quite honest.

Galaxy 1 and 2 are awesome games, but Mario is waaaay slower as the whole game itself, from all the 3D ones, I found Galaxy to be the hardest to go back to. Which is surprising since I think Sunshine is the worst of them all.

ec0ec0

This.

I actually play 64 almost every year and the game never felt old to me, to be quite honest.

Galaxy 1 and 2 are awesome games, but Mario is waaaay slower as the whole game itself, from all the 3D ones, I found Galaxy to be the hardest to go back to. Which is surprising since I think Sunshine is the worst of them all.

Galaxy is the least replayable by far.

Just yesterday, i was searching for another 3d mario thread, and i came upon a great galaxy thread from more than a year ago, where we were talking extensively about that (and other things).

Galaxy is the least replayable by far.

Just yesterday, i was searching for another 3d mario thread, and i came upon a great galaxy thread from more than a year ago, where we were talking extensively about that (and other things).

Totally disagree. I replayed Galaxy this year and I had the same feeling of wonder all over again. It feels amazing and I'd replay it right now. Now 3D World on the other hand is a game I'm glad I played but I'm also glad it's over. It stressed me out without having the character or atmosphere of the Galaxy games.

64DS on 3DS.
Worst suggestion ever.

No, the worst would be Mario 64 DS on the original DS with the thumbstrap.

[...] I found Galaxy to be the hardest to go back to. Which is surprising since I think Sunshine is the worst of them all.

I pretty much agree with everything here.

ec0ec0

Totally disagree. I replayed Galaxy this year and I had the same feeling of wonder all over again. It feels amazing and I'd replay it right now

Well, if enough time had passed, since the last time that you played it, so that the game was "new" again, i can see how it can work similarly to the first time. I don't know about replaying it, yet again, having played it just recetly. In that case, i would have to stand by what i said, that it is the least replayable (compared to 64 and sunshine, it's night and day).

Well, if enough time had passed, since the last time that you played it, so that the game was "new" again, i can see how it can work similarly to the first time. I don't know about replaying it, yet again, having played it just recetly. In that case, i would have to stand by what i said, that it is the least replayable (compared to 64 and sunshine, it's night and day).

Ok, I just don't feel the same. I think Galaxy has the same X-factor that makes me replay Mario 64 again an again. Those two are the pinnacle of 3D Mario for me. Must be the superior level design and the creative platforming paired with the weird world building that finally has a come-back with Odyssey.

Galaxy is one of the very, very few games that are literally perfect to me. It succeeds in everything it wants to achieve.

Top Bottom