• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which are you more excited about? Final Fantasy XV or Final Fantasy VII

What's the most exciting thing about Square Enix right now?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
81qyVEq8IKL._SX385_.jpg

Anteater

I'm not too excited for either, because FF7 is still far off and I'm not sure what form it'll be in, XV is closer so obviously I'm more interested in it, just not particularly excited until closer to release.

Nier 2 tho.

Sendero

The general concept of XV (semi open world, car-travel adventure, teletransportation, semless combo attacks/defense,etc) seems like a nice amalgam of previous FF titles, and I'm interested to see if they can pull it off. It's actually the first one I have even cared about since VIII (and didn't like it that much).

FVII is just CGI at moment (or at least, what we have seen) and I'm not even sure if they have the talent to translate the game to more realistic type of graphics. Most of the best moments in the original worked due to the chibi/super-deformed style they used, that left a lot to the imagination.

Try to picture all those goofy jokes, but with the style shown in the CGI?
Also, without the fresh impact of Aerith's scene, the game lose one of its more unique elements.

So XV it is.

Versus>VII>XV

Since Versus doesn't exist, I'll say VII.

The FFVIIR and KH3 stuff was enough for me to remember how much better Nomura's games are when compared to other SE directors.

FFXV has actually been dehyping itself for quite a while. Between VII, KH, NieR, Type-1 and FFXV, FFXV is certainly the last one on that list.

I'll still be there day one for XV though.

WolvenOne

XV

I love VII, and I'm looking forward to revisiting the world and all the beautiful locations in it. However, XV is a fully new game. I can replay the original FFVII anytime I want, I can't play XV right now.

KoopaTheCasual

Versus>VII>XV

Since Versus doesn't exist, I'll say VII.

The FFVIIR and KH3 stuff was enough for me to remember how much better Nomura's games are when compared to other SE directors.

FFXV has actually been dehyping itself for quite a while. Between VII, KH, NieR, Type-1 and FFXV, FFXV is certainly the last one on that list.

I'll still be there day one for XV though.
Agree with everything in this post minus the Nier/Type-1 stuff.

TheXbox

XV. It's new. It's cool. It's coming sometime in the relatively near future. Also super important for Square and JRPGs in general. They have to fucking nail it, and I really hope they do.

daveo42

Banned
FFXV because new game, new story, new characters, new adventure, new bros. Plus, there are a million ways SE could screw up a remake of FFVII. Even with all that, XV only barely eeks out the win here, cause fuck man FFVII.

burgerdog

15 by far. I've already played ff7 so a remake will always take a back seat if I had to pick between a new game and a remake.

I'm more excited about Remake, because I'm hoping it'll play more like traditional Final Fantasy than XV, due to the fact that it's going to be staying true to the original quite rigidly, or so I imagine. I don't expect pre-rendered environments (although that would be marvelous!), but I am hoping that turn-based combat is kept in.

IzzyF3

VII is my all time favorite game, so VII.

I did try the XV demo, and it has potential, but it's not what I'm looking for in a JRPG.

Final Fantasy VII.

My interests in Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general have waned a lot, the pass generation,I barely played much JRPGs compared to the PS2 and PS1 generation and I don't get the excitement I have for new Final Fantasy titles as I used to, but on the night of the 15th, I felt like a kid again.

FFXV because it's something new to the series that I've never played before and the demo (especially version 2.0) made me realize they have a pretty solid base gameplay-wise that just needs some kinks ironed out, which I believe they'll do.

I could care less for the remake of the 18 year-old game I'd already played through completion three times before moving on to FFVIII and never revisiting again.

Marjorine

VII was my first Final Fantasy, and was from the time period when I was super into the series and enjoyed the gameplay & story. So probably that one. For whatever reason (and some of it just might be my personal thing), I don't enjoy FF like I used to. So I am pumped for that one.

RavenH2

I'll go with XV, since I will be open to a new gameplay, story and characters. As for VII, I'm excited, but a part of me will always want the exact same materia system. The same characters and development arcs, the same story, minigames, etc. All just remade in higher definition and great graphics... and I'm fairly sure that will not be what I'll be getting.

Also, along with Horizon, it will be the game to make me buy a PS4 if it is exclusive, if it's timed, I'll wait it out...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd rather revisit Midgar in a remake versus standing off against some Crystal lizard that's 20 stories tall.

The thing is; they just gave me ambition with a new Cloud. Noctis and his pop band boys need something. Sure Noctis could play it cool and we could get out of that demo pretty fast, but I want a variety of creatures that isn't slowed down by leveling up in a tent. I want that gold font and I want to hear the little tune when I level.

They haven't shown off that many enemies and the enemies from XIII were just like this.

I want something more than that. I wanted a XII remake or an HD version. XII had a great selection of monsters.

Maybe once I can get a feel of XV it will feel different, but wtf are they even fighting for?

Final fantasy 7 because the characters don't look like dickheads.

Unless they change it to look like XV then I'm just gonna have to put up with it.

Pejo

Gold Member
VII by far. I feel a little comforted knowing that I'm not the only one that the XV battle system didn't click with. I am cautiously optimistic that they can remake 7, add some cool story bits and side content without ruining the core experience. And for me, personally, I hope the battle system errs on the side of "less change" than more.

AGITΩ

FFXV - In an era of constant ports and remakes, I really would prefer a whole new game. I'll get VII eventually, especially since its years and years away. Even then I've been waiting on VS XIII for almost a decade, I bought a PS3 and PS4 For this game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People saying they played VII so many times. The remake is going to make life size characters. Don't play the 1997 version so many times. If it's a classic game then having it done by today's standards would be welcomed. I can imagine materia and summons looking amazing.

When I buy a FF I get it on launch and I finish it. FF7 I beat 4+ times with a friend. That was ages ago and I didn't memorize every single line of that game. I finish a FF and the amount of games that come out take that spot. I've probably listened to the soundtrack of CC more times than I've finished CC. I finished CC once. I can handle a remake.

I also didn't really get into Dissidia when FF was being used like a montage.

There's a realm of FF I can enjoy then it just takes off and it's no longer what I enjoyed. I'm there for the music and the story, but SE has just taken it to a point of concern. XIV and X's presence now. Sure they're great, but I can sure pick a spot in FF8 to enjoy more.

Like XIV's expansion, just load up my Vita and put on FF9 instead. I guess I'm just that way.

Really going to need to know what gets changed in 7 to be SUPER excited. It's a game I've wanted for over a decade, but a single thing outside my expectations (like getting rid of/significantly changing the battle system) could have my hype dropping like a rock.

ninjabat

FFXV only because FFVII gameplay will most likely be similar. Its a huge change for the series from turn based fighting. If its a fun battle style then I can get hyped for FFVII.

Banned
VII because I never beat it, it's turn based, it lets you upgrade, equip and use all your party members, materia is a better gameplay element then chaining weapons to make combo's, there are playable female characters, and the party doesn't look like some boy band.

I'm still buying XV though :p

15 I suppose because of new story, new potential. I don't care much for the sci fi aspects of either, i've usually gravitated toward the high fantasy/steampunk FF's more than the technology oriented ones.

BJK

XV, because it's not like they're remaking FF6...(yet).

Putting a fresh coat of paint on VII's graphics...still leaves you with that game's storyline. Maybe a better localization would help, but that can only go so far without affecting what people think they liked about the game.

Top Bottom