• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console manufacturer has exceeded your expectations this generation?

Well, it's almost the end of this generation. Which of the big three are you most satisfied with?

My vote would go to Microsoft, despite the RRoD fiasco early on in the game. I'm very pleased with how Xbox Marketplace turned out, their solid 3rd party support, and Xbox Live gaming -- despite what I thought of the OG Xbox (which wasn't very much).

All three have disappointed.

Sony with a weak first year, Nintendo with a weak machine, Microsoft with RROD and shifting of focus.

I think Sony have turned it around very well though. At the moment, I'm most pleased with them.

EagleEyes

Microsoft by far. The Red Rings have been the only real negative point this gen for them . XBLA by itself has been reason enough to pluck down the dough for one.

Truth101

Banned
What!? You didn't get banned after the Majora's Mask troll and bait thread?

Also, the question in the OP and title are different. What are you asking exactly?

Boney

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
If you want them to be.
Well I'm most satisfied with my DS. Plenty of different software and cheaper to boot as well. A really interesting library.

I guess MS with the 360 exceeded my expectations, cause the OG Xbox was a non entity here, and I'm quite happy with my 360 despite a few annoyances like no wifi and paid online.

I hated the original Xbox and was very wary of the Xbox 360. But when I first played Bioshock with the 360's amazing controller, it was an experience. It had such an incredible atmosphere. I would stay up late at night playing the game in the dark and just immersing myself in Rapture.

For me, atmosphere is really important in games (one of the reasons I liked Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time), and the 360 was stunning. By the time the PS3 was affordable, I was already set.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Xbox has grown from a brand I loathed and avoided during the GCN/PS2 era, to my biggest source of gaming entertainment. I didn't see it coming, and I also wasn't expecting to enjoy Xbox Live.

EagleEyes said:
Microsoft by far. The Red Rings have been the only real negative point this gen for them . XBLA by itself has been reason enough to pluck down the dough for one.

Yeah, outside of the RRoD. they've been by far the best manufacturer.
The earliest console this gen & yet we are getting games like Gears of War 3 that look like almost what a new console should be pushing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
none of them

See You Next Wednesday said:
The earliest console this gen & yet we are getting games like Gears of War 3 that look like almost what a new console should be pushing.
c'mon son.

Fjordson

Microsoft.

I barely touched my Xbox for anything other than the first Halo, but I've played my 360 more than anything else this gen. Really loved the system throughout the past 5 years.

Adr1an

I would say sony, the PS3 started off pretty rocky with the price point and lack of decent games, but they really turned things around with the slim and great first party offerings.

kokujin

Banned
Weenerz said:
PC, because it rocks shit.
Most definitely, great performance, awesome online and a slew of great games.A lot of the games on the Wii caught me by surprise this gen, so that's a good contender.

jagowar

EagleEyes said:

XBLA is the biggest "win" of any console this generation imo..... a ton of great cheaper content that's in some cases as good as a retail release and as deep gameplay wise but is a significantly better value than the disc.

I have bought roughly 2x as many xbla games this gen compared to retail releases which I find pretty crazy to think that would be the case at the start of this generation.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Microsoft.

Thought MS points would mean I don't buy dlc/xbla games, but I've never bought them for less than 30% off so I get all my dlc/downloadable games cheaper.

Netflix, never used it until the integration (it's EVERYWHERE now though but at the time it was a huge deal to me).

XBLA in general. I'll take XBLA over any platform this generation.

Sony

I still am not happy with it, especially how downloads just are insanely slow compared to every other device I have on the same wifi.

BUT I'm shocked and surprised to see PSN come this far. It's come a very long way.

Impressed by their pushing off weird downloadable games even if I only like a small percentage of them, I'm glad they exist.

Both companies
- Making Kinect/Move OPTIONAL in the vast majority of it's uses instead of mandatory. (Though if you listened to gaf the 360 is somehow kinect only now)

Sony all the way.

The took the most bullshit from the media and still delivered the best content this generation. The system has surpassed anything I could imagine it doing and houses the most nique experiences in gaming this gen.

The PSP is going strong more than ever and the Vita is looking to revolutionize the handheld market

Second goes to nintendo for really taking a last gen system and innovating with it. The 3DS is kinf of a let down as it's really mediocre in every sense. Not one bit of tech on it shines. And the 3D is not at all worth it.

Microsoft just copies the fuck out of Sony and Nintendo to try and monopolize the market. Americans and Brits kiss MS's ass regardless of how bad they treat them. I don't get it. I don't understand why the Us/UK love Microsoft so much. I assume Ms's evil marketing is to blame. Now with Kinect they have completely abandoned the hardcore gamer to cater to the grandmas of the world. Other than Gears 3 and sadly more Halo(without Bungie...talk about milking it) MS is providing nothing special or unique. Gears 3 isn't really unique, but its actually an improvement unlike the carbon copy Gears 2 compared to the first one. It saddens me that last gen the Xbox was a reliable hardcore system and not Ms does nothing but milk shovelware and fake trailers. Thank god the world is smart enough to always go Sony when the US or UK pick the 360. Keeps the majority in fav of the PS3. Hope that the core really pull their heads out of their asses and fight back for the games. Because if the 360 crowd just allows it, MS will raped them. MS has always been about money. Not one person who has any passion at MS other than crazy Peter Molyneaux..everyone else is a tool douchebag asshole like Kudo or Major Nelson.
I own a 360 btw, but I really have nothing but disgust for MS as a company.

Eusis

Sony, I think. Microsoft started the generation looking VERY compelling, but with exclusives dropping it's not as compelling as a PS3 for newer releases, though I have to admit that hinges on personal taste to an extent. Both of them made pretty huge improvements, Microsoft from Xbox to Xbox 360, and Sony from PS3 launch to present.

Salsa

CurseoftheGods said:
Which console manufacturer has exceeded your expectations this generation?

CurseoftheGods said:
My vote would go to Microsoft

jesus christ

the RROD thing is INEXCUSABLE

you gotta be kidding

edit: unless the thread title is bad for what you're really asking about.. wich i think it is

so more in line with the thread; yeah, microsoft, cause my expectations were for them to be completely out of the console business after all the shit they pulled off.

consoles that downright break, a persistent problem that lasted years, pay to play online, etc

i thought consumers had standards and that they wouldnt settle for that kind of shit. I gave them too much credit.

adelante

Microsoft. I wasnt a big fan of the OG Xbox and given the "success" of that system I didn't think they'd do any better this gen coming out so early and with a design that I thought looked ugly.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
500px-Laffer-Curve.svg.png

Ignore the labels, and I can say this is MS for me.

Gotta give it to sony even though they started off with a train wreck of a campaign . Slowly but surely they turned most of the company's misdirection around and IMO brought the best games this gen with free online to boot. This psn fiasco was highly disappointing though.

Eusis

I only had the RROD once myself. Either the system simply wasn't used enough (despite being shared!), or I was just very fortunate. Happened in the middle of LO though, so that sat unfinished for quite awhile. I'd probably be angrier about it if it KEPT happening and replacing stopped being allowed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Microsoft turned the xbox from a brand I didn't care about to one I primarily game on. Hard to beat that.

Microsoft has impressed me greatly because of Live in general, but more specifically, Live Arcade. Sony has disappointed me the most with ps3.

Bgamer90

Banned
Lyphen said:
Xbox has grown from a brand I loathed and avoided during the GCN/PS2 era, to my biggest source of gaming entertainment. I didn't see it coming, and I also wasn't expecting to enjoy Xbox Live.

Same here.

I was a big PS2 fan last gen but now I prefer the xbox console (360).

Vaporak

All console and handhelds this gen have failed to meet my expectations set by the past generations of consoles. PC has exceeded expectations thanks to the rise of Steam and other DD services.

Dai101

Banned
NecrumSlavery said:
Microsoft just copies the fuck out of Sony and Nintendo to try and monopolize the market. Americans and Brits kiss MS's ass regardless of how bad they treat them. I don't get it. I don't understand why the Us/UK love Microsoft so much. I assume Ms's evil marketing is to blame. Now with Kinect they have completely abandoned the hardcore gamer to cater to the grandmas of the world. Other than Gears 3 and sadly more Halo(without Bungie...talk about milking it) MS is providing nothing special or unique. Gears 3 isn't really unique, but its actually an improvement unlike the carbon copy Gears 2 compared to the first one. It saddens me that last gen the Xbox was a reliable hardcore system and not Ms does nothing but milk shovelware and fake trailers. Thank god the world is smart enough to always go Sony when the US or UK pick the 360. Keeps the majority in fav of the PS3. Hope that the core really pull their heads out of their asses and fight back for the games. Because if the 360 crowd just allows it, MS will raped them. MS has always been about money. Not one person who has any passion at MS other than crazy Peter Molyneaux..everyone else is a tool douchebag asshole like Kudo or Major Nelson.
I own a 360 btw, but I really have nothing but disgust for MS as a company.

qleo9.gif

MercuryLS

Banned
Nintendo: Utter dissapointment.

Sony: Rough first year+, they bounced back beautifully though. My current favourite system.

MS: Loved the 360 at first, but over time I've grown to care less and less about it. Lack of unique 1st party content that I like (don't care for Halo, Gears, Fable) and their shifting focus to Kinect has really hurt the machine for me. Also I'm done paying for XBL.

Lyphen said:
Definitely the case for me at first. Microsoft made a huge gain in my interest this gen even though i have a have a distaste for xbl at a fundamental level. I also dislike just about everything to do with kinect and they seem to be pushing more and more attention to that platform.

Definitely Nintendo. The DS and Wii have both been incredible and far and above what the Cube and GBA offered. I have complete faith in the big N.

Top Bottom