• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which current generation game holds the best graphics title?

the ps4pro hasnt changed my opinion at all

uncharted 4
the order

the rest are a decent step below these 2 for me

Yeah ROTR on PC was very inconsistent in terms of IQ. Some areas did genuinely look subpar, even on max settings.

The game overall does look really good. Definitely not the best though.

the game is flat out ugly anytime youre not doing a tomb. soviet installation and geothermal valley look horrendous

DOWN

Banned
Really amazed at people nominating console games...

Before Battlefront, what game do you think was best? Many would argue it was The Order. And even after Battlefront, many would argue Uncharted 4. I'd say it's pretty delusional to suggest consoles can't be at the forefront of graphics, as multiple console exclusives have been hailed as leaders in graphics by many outlets and organizations this gen. Hell, console games have won prestigious awards for real time graphics.

Really amazed at people nominating console games...

Graphics are more about budget than horsepower of the hardware nowadays. There is no PC exclusive developers with the money or resources of Sony's or MS's first party studios. Reason also why best looking PC games nowadays tend to be multiplatform AAA games instead of exclusives. Games with a lot of money behind them.

DOWN

Banned
Does Unity really look better than Syndicate?
Absolutely. Unity used Global Illumination everywhere, along with other better effects that set it up as still the best looking open world to date. Syndicate was pulled back significantly to make performance better.

Peltz

*Pokes head into thread*

WWHD

*Readies flame shield and braces for impact*

I know it doesn't win on the technology under the hood, but I'd argue that the technology doesn't really matter. WWHD's graphics seem totally unconstrained by the weak hardware or the fact that it's an enhanced port of a 12 year old game. Everything looks clean, and even through I don't like what they changed about the lighting, the art has no other flaws.

*Runs away from thread*

Absolutely. Unity used Global Illumination everywhere, along with other better effects that set it up as still the best looking open world to date. Syndicate was pulled back significantly to make performance better.

Unity is inconsistent though. It looks best in some of the indoor settings, but outdoors, I wouldn't say it is the best looking open world game at all. The LoD is especially poor. I would say Witcher 3 on max settings looks better overall. FFXV on Pro is also more impressive to me, when you factor in effects, animations and some of the modelling.

Shredderi

I was so disappointed by this. I thought things would go like they always do and progress, that Syndicate would look even better than Unity and run better. I mean that was my logic back then: game graphics gets better as we go further into the new generation. I was so bummed by Syndicate because it implied that Unity had already tapped out the new consoles instantly and this was the best we could get, and even then not at a good performance. There are still launch window games that are even today one of the best looking titles on the consoles (Killzone:shadowfall).

Games like the Horizon:zero dawn looks great but Unity really is the open world game with the highest fidelity even today.

LordofPwn

As far as games i've played and can personally weigh in on:

1. Order 1886
2. Driveclub
3. Ratchet and Clank
3. Uncharted 4
5. P.T.
6. Battlefront

Elandyll

Banned
I have played both Uncharted 4 and The Order 1886 recently for the first time.

UC4 is inbelievable, but hot damn I think The Order takes the cake (with a very different, much more realistic art style).

I still have to play DE MD and ROTTR, but according to what I've seen with videos and screenshots, that top2 would probably remain.

On consoles:

1. The Order 1886
2. Ratchet & Clank
3. Battlefront
4. Battlefield 1
5. Gears of War 4
6. Drive Club
7. Ryse
8. Uncharted 4
9. Killzone Shadowfall
10. PT

DOWN

Banned
Unity is inconsistent though. It looks best in some of the indoor settings, but outdoors, I wouldn't say it is the best looking open world game at all. The LoD is especially poor. I would say Witcher 3 on max settings looks better overall. FFXV on Pro is also more impressive to me, when you factor in effects, animations and some of the modelling.

Witcher 3 got slaughtered when we had this thread last year. It just doesn't have the polish or punch of Unity. Unity has that processed cinema look and stellar physically based rendering. Witcher 3 was not a hot pick because it has incredibly weak and inconsistent PBR (essentially it only appears on armor), its lighting was quite flat compared to its reveal version, and overall people describe it as looking game-y. It's not ugly, but there's no chance in hell that 100 Wircher 3 screenshots would convince someone that the game is more graphically impressive than a bundle of 100 shots of Unity would display.

PulseONE

Witcher 3 got slaughtered when we had this thread last year. It just doesn't have the polish or punch of Unity. Unity has that processed cinema look and stellar physically based rendering. Witcher 3 was not a hot pick because it has incredibly weak and inconsistent PBR (essentially it only appears on armor), its lighting was quite flat compared to its reveal version, and overall people describe it as looking game-y. It's not ugly, but there's no chance in hell that 100 Wircher 3 screenshots would convince someone that the game is more graphically impressive than a bundle of 100 shots of Unity would display.

Speaking soley on graphical terms I am inclined to agree with this

It can be argued that The Witcher 3 has more BEAUTIFUL views in regards to scenery and vistas, especially seeing as how Unity's environment was very much dirty and run down for the most part, save for some areas. But graphically speaking Unity was just much more consistent, of course TW3 also had a much much bigger world with far more interactivity and usable elements.

I think its more of a case of art design vs graphical technology.

Tomb Raider seems to impress me the more i progress. It's goddamn beautiful in some segments.

riseofthetombraider_18cj78.png

riseofthetombraider_1fnktw.png

And of course Uncharted 4 resolves much more detail during gameplay on the pro when compared to the original ps4.

uncharted4_athiefsenduek3c.png

uncharted4_athiefsends6k3n.png

uncharted4_athiefsendzwukb.png

leng jai

Until Dawn.
Just looks incredibly clean and polished. Great atmosphere too.

The IQ was far from clean.

I'd say Uncharted 4 is number 1 and The Order 1886 is second.

There's many other games featuring breathtaking visuals as-well such as Battlefield 1 and Ratchet and Clank which are stunning!

Definitely this game as-well, wow it looks incredible! I'd love to see a Pro patch for this but the developers might be occupied with other things.

The game already features an unlocked frame-rate so it would be awesome to see how high it could go on the Pro at 1080p!
A 1440p+ mode would look incredible too!

The frame rate was garbage in Until Dawn but it didn't matter as much due to the nature of the game. It's probably one of the titles in most dire need of a Pro patch.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Graphics are more about budget than horsepower of the hardware nowadays. There is no PC exclusive developers with the money or resources of Sony's or MS's first party studios. Reason also why best looking PC games nowadays tend to be multiplatform AAA games instead of exclusives. Games with a lot of money behind them.
Star Citizen.

Ammogeddon

Another Uncharted vote here.

Playing through it again on the pro in 4K HDR, it looks sooo nice. Took some pics in Drakes house, they are proper photorealistic.

Unity polished? It is pretty rough in many sections in motion. Witcher 3 is more consistent across the board. Unity may have a more impressive urban setting, but then the Witcher has much more impressive vegetation and natural areas. Unity looks better in shots than in motion. It is impressive in motion, but there are quite a number of games that look better and don't have many of its short comings...

KiraXD

Is this supposed to be a human being???
If so, uncanny valley.

yeah its the dead eye syndrome... maybe in motion its fixed though, since the subtle eye twitches usually make or break that uncanny valley feel.

Unity polished? It is pretty rough in many sections in motion. Witcher 3 is more consistent across the board. Unity may have a more impressive urban setting, but then the Witcher has much more impressive vegetation and natural areas. Unity looks better in shots than in motion. It is impressive in motion, but there are quite a number of games that look better and don't have many of its short comings...

Im currently on my playthrough of Unity, and i have to disagree... its easily more impressive graphically than witcher 3 (though witcher is a feat in itself) i dunno when that last time you played through it (ACU)... but as of right now... it plays and runs beautifully.

Dr.brain64

I hope I'm not the only one saying this but...

EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE should be added to the list. I played on ps4. The game crashed on me a few times because it's too intense for ps4 lol!

I wonder how it looks on PC.

tommyguns

Uncharted 4 of course.

However, Battlefield 1 is really starting to make me re-think that. When playing operations, and everything comes together; mud, weather, explosions, etc. Man, it looks good.

I feel like this thread pops up every week.

Wake me up when threads like this stop touting phot realism as the end goal. So boring.

It's like touting a body builder as an athlete. All they've done is perfected a set of techniques that can be useful to real athletes. All most of these shots show are tools that could used by real artists.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Now that the 1X is out is uncharted 4 still considered the best visuals on a console. After playing some gears 4 on my X I don't know anymore.

Gears 4 on the X is just so god dam clean.

MilkyJoe

Now that the 1X is out is uncharted 4 still considered the best visuals on a console. After playing some gears 4 on my X I don't know anymore.

I don't like Gears, but I bought G4 really cheap just for eye candy and it's staggering, beautiful game.

Toe-Knee

I wouldn't say so as horizon looks better overall. Not played gears though so I can't comment on that.

Golmon97

Neo Member
While i love forza horizon 3, on xbox one x, with a 4k screen, it is not that stunning because it is still unpatched. Forza 7 is much more impressive, clean and stable.
I have also seen battlefront mentionned; i hope people means battlefront 2 because i tried the first one yesterday on the X and it is quite ugly. 2 month ago i was still thinking that it was holding pretty well, but with the one X and a 4k screen, things have evolved pretty quickly.
So quickly in fact i even imagined that dice may have downgraded battlefront 1 to push the 2.

ancelotti

The ray-marched volumetric San Francisco fog on the PC version of Watch Dogs 2 is absolutely stunning and is probably the best looking visual effect of this generation.

watch-dogs-2-san-francisco-fog-003-on.jpg

F1 2017 also looks incredibly sharp and still has me pausing the game and shaking my head every once and a while with how realistic it is.

XPB_879337_HiRes-e1495745076279.jpg

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Tomb Raider seems to impress me the more i progress. It's goddamn beautiful in some segments.

riseofthetombraider_18cj78.png

riseofthetombraider_1fnktw.png

And of course Uncharted 4 resolves much more detail during gameplay on the pro when compared to the original ps4.

uncharted4_athiefsenduek3c.png

uncharted4_athiefsends6k3n.png

uncharted4_athiefsendzwukb.png

havent played uncharted 4 as I have an xbox but that first screen shot of uncharted looks amazing but the other 2 screen shots don't look any better than tomb raider imo.
may look different In motion though.

for me Gears 4 is up there especialy in 4k and from what I have seen in screen shots I would say the new gran turismo looks stunning to

Top Bottom