• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which death impacted the music world more.. Kurt Cobain or Tupac Shakur?

The Adder

Banned
I say it does. Not you.

No, the English language says it doesn't.

A subjective statement is a statement that has been coloured by the character of the speaker or writer. It often has a basis in reality, but reflects the perspective through with the speaker views reality. It cannot be verified using concrete facts and figures.

Your statement can be verified as false. It is not subjective. To turn it subjective your statement would have had to have been:

"I'd say Kurt. Nirvana is still played and referenced to this day. I only hear about Tupac in reference to the circumstances of his death it seems."

And no one would have batted an eye at that.

On-Topic:

'Pac's death lead to Biggie's death. Both of them had a major impact on the direction of rap and hip-hop.

Kurt's genre died without him.

Take that for what you will.

Your statement can be verified as false. It is not subjective. To turn it subjective your statement would have had to have been:

"I'd say Kurt. Nirvana is still played and referenced to this day. I only hear about Tupac in reference to the circumstances of his death it seems."

On-Topic:

'Pac's death lead to Biggie's death. Both of them had a major impact on the direction of rap and hip-hop.

Kurt's genre is what lead to rock's direction for the last 23 years since his death.

I don't know who was more important musically but Tupac just seemed more interesting as a person. Would be more interested in seeing what 2017 Tupac was up to vs Cobain.

Tupac would probably be doing more acting than rapping for a while now.

Google trends show Tupac generates more queries than Cobain.

They're only searching the circumstances of his death it seems.

But anyway...

At the time, 2pac's death affected me more, as I was a huge fan of his music. He was probably my favorite rapper at the time (the other candidate being Snoop), I was a total mark and took his (and Death Row's) side in the war with Bad Boy Entertainment, and all of that. When he died, I was devastated. That said, I was also a fan of Nirvana and was impacted by Cobain's death, but 2pac's hit more more.

These days, I still listen to Nirvana but not 2pac, because I stopped listening to rap laced with obscenities somewhere not long after the turn of the century, so it's just not in my rotation since very little of 2pac's work was particularly clean.

As for the world? Who knows where their careers would have gone. 2pac would have produced much more music than Cobain, based on their outputs prior to their deaths, that much seems certain at least.

rec0ded1

As a grunge fanatic and a casual rap guy during the 90s I have to say tupac had more to say and more relevant these days. Of course as time goes on that can change.

Seesaw15

Dat Hologram pump in 2012.
hjxSBhv.png

It's Pac. After his death he transcended celebrity and became almost a sort of modern day folk hero. A character representative of an ideal. One seems almost larger than life, treated with a ton of reverence. Cobain was important, but no one's going to be having a post-mortem interview with him or actively discussing his legacy.

Dalek

On-Topic:

Feel free to produce charts and graphs letting me know that my personal opinion is wrong. I would get much enjoyment out of that. Again-it's a difference of opinion - there's no need to be upset about it.

Kurt because Tupac isn't dead.

Well there is this too.

The Adder

Banned
Kurt's genre is what lead to rock's direction for the last 23 years since his death.

I think you're overestimating Grunge's influence a bit there.

Feel free to produce charts and graphs letting me know that my personal opinion is wrong. I would get much enjoyment out of that. Again-it's a difference of opinion - there's no need to be upset about it..

I am not debating your opinion. Your original statement was not one of opinion. That is why everyone found it ridiculous. I am trying to help you avoid such mistakes in the future, but you are too ridiculously defensive to listen.

Dalek

I am not debating your opinion. Your original statement was not one of opinion. That is why everyone found it ridiculous. I am trying to help you avoid such mistakes in the future, but you are too ridiculously defensive to listen.

Well I wasn't asking for your help-but you've done enough work derailing the thread-so have a good night and I hope you enjoy the rest of the conversation about the music. Here's hoping you get what you want out of the thread.

Rootbeer

Banned
Kurt. It's hard to put too much stock in google analytics on this one since Tupac has a lot more conspiracy surrounding the events, that and Nirvana + Kurt Cobain are two different terms impacting the weight.

Kurt. It's hard to put too much stock in google analytics on this one since Tupac has a lot more conspiracy surrounding the events, that and Nirvana + Kurt Cobain are two different terms impacting the weight.

Aren't there all sorts of murder theories about Cobain too?

Edit: Apparently there's even Cobain is still alive theories.

Madness

Depends what demographics, where you live. Tupac death hit a lot of hip hop and rap fans hard. Also lead to death of Notorious BIG. Kurt Cobain suicide hurt the grunge scene totally, and influenced Dave Grohl to continue etc. I see Tupac remembered more. I mean you have holograms of him made, hear his songs played on radio. Can't remember last time I heard Smells like teen spirit or a Nirvana song played on radio, but I heard Changes and California Love this month on the radio. I do think had Kurt Cobain not killed himself so early into his popularity he would have been remembered far more. Though Tupac and BIG deaths made people like Jay Z and Diddy and Snoop and others leaders of the hip hop and rap scenes. I think had Nirvana survived longer, rock would have remained at the forefront of American culture longer too.

Both are apple and orange deaths as well. Kurt was yet another death in a line of musician suicides/self harm deaths. Tupac was killed in a shooting.

The Adder

Banned
Nirvana is a religious/philosophical concept. Can't rely on adding that.

Edit: apparently you can specify the band - but then the results are empty.

Google trends literally does not want you to make this comparison.

I can put in Nirvana and specify rock band on the front page and get results.

Then when I add Tupac it gives me results for Tupac, but makes Nirvana's disappear.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Well Cobain shooting himself killed grunge as a whole and made an entire generation of boring white suburban kids worship him like some kind of prophet so I guess Cobain. Pac's death was a cataclysm (and his actual music was far, far more important and influential) but his death wasn't mythologised and fetishized to the extent that Cobain's was.

AntoneM

Cobain and Nivana created a liminal point in music. They were already on one side (with some others), but, caused a shift of everyone else. For almost 20 years there was an inexorable march of glam rock until Nevermind hit. Not only did he kill off glam rock to the point of making it a niche at best; he also nearly killed off the 1980's new wave which didn't make a resurgence into mainstream pop music until about 20 years later.

In one stroke Cobain and Nirvana irrevocably changed music forever.

Between the two of them these days -in my experience I hear more of Nirvana. Not that Tupac is non-existent, it's just that Nirvana seems bigger.

Not for me. I lived in and around parts of LA when I was in college and Tupac was played on radio heavily. Even to this day living south of LA, Orange County specifically, I hear way more Tupac then Nirvana on radio and I listen to both types of music radio.

geomon

That's a hard question to answer. Kurt's suicide caused people to commit suicide. Tupac's murder caused such a shitstorm that people made up theories that he's not even really dead.

Even though I'm a Nirvana fan, I'm going to go with Tupac.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Well,one revolutionized and revitalized a genre and could be named the most important musician of the 90s, the other needed help from Dr Dre to kickstart his career. So ....

Its Kurt :D

You're right, it was probably like 15 years from when grunge broke out but grunge still influenced a generation to pick up a guitar and was pretty much the last "revolution" of rock.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
2pac

I remember the general public had kinda 'gotta over' Kurt by like 1998 while 2pac was #1 on TRL with a 'new' single that year.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Who actually sold more records and had more number one singles ? That, in the 90s, should be a much better indicator of social relevancy then Google hits 25 years after their Death.

Top Bottom