• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which film was better....Batman Begins or The Dark Knight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Over the years I've come around to realizing that Batman Begins is the better overall movie. Everyone seems to forget that the third act of Dark Knight is pretty much a mess that Ledger desperately attempts to mask. Dark Knight is straight up a boring movie when Ledger isn't on screen. Bale's Batman voice in TDK is noticeably worse than it was in Batman Begins as well. Dark Knight loses me from the chase sequence onward because its a series of events that only work because Joker somehow had the ability to plan for events he could have in no way prepared for. Also, a good chunk of the character drama in Dark Knight is simply a biproduct of everyone talking to each other in cryptic movie talk instead of talking like normal human beings. The "Batman takes the blame" ending in The Dark Knight is also stupidly forced drama, just blame everything on the fucking Joker you moron.

Batman Begins has a better overall character arc for most of the characters in the movie, it has a more compelling third act even if it gets way more "comic booky" than Dark Knight, Batman doesn't feel like an imbecile in this movie, and the movie is actually about Batman. I'm also a fan of how Gotham is portrayed in Begins more than the sequels, because Gotham in this movie feels and looks more like a run down city that would warrant someone like Batman. Gotham in the sequels feels too clean and modern and looks more like a city Superman would fly around in. Begins is an overall more complete movie to me and the GOAT comic book movie.

Begins also has the best ending in a comic book movie as well as the best sequel tease.

KFMIcW8.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mr9ok7sofr1swjg2mo3_250.gif

And somehow the third act of Begins is more believable than what happens in the third act of TDK. It was so cheesy.

But the boat makes up like 7 minutes of screentime and the whole third act doesn't hinge on it. Sonar eyes are dumb too, but the final confrontation with this Joker and Two Face are remarkably better than any of the microwave/ninja/riot/"I'm not gonna save you" nonesense from Begins.

And cheesy though the performance are, at least the boat sequence works on a thematic level.

But the boat makes up like 7 minutes of screentime and the whole third act doesn't hinge on it. Sonar eyes are dumb too, but the final confrontation with this Joker and Two Face are remarkably better than any of the microwave/ninja/riot/"I'm not gonna save you" nonesense from Begins.

The final Joker encounter will always be lame for me. Like I don't need a huge fight scene or action moment, but I needed something more with the Joker being caught. Only made worse by him dying and never finishing it up in TDKRises.

Where is the poll?!

Yeah I need to vote for Thor 2.

The final Joker encounter will always be lame for me. Like I don't need a huge fight scene or action moment, but I needed something more with the Joker being caught. Only made worse by him dying and never finishing it up in TDKRises.

The action sequence leading up to it, Batman saving Joker, and then Joker's dialogue as the camera inverts ending in Joker's lingering laughter is as perfect a conclusion to his arc as you could ask for, doubly so when Batman then has to deal with the fruition of Joker's plan by confronting the broken Harvey Dent.

Sephzilla

And cheesy though the performance are, at least the boat sequence works on a thematic level.

I think Begin's third act actually works better than TDK's third act as well. The third act of TDK is honestly dumber because it requires a lot of remarkably dumb things to happen all nearly at once.

• Commissioner Gordon, for whatever reason, suddenly stops trusting Batman's advice when Batman says something's up with the hostage situation
  • A boat full of criminals who are likely greedy and potentially psychotic suddenly have a collective altruistic moment instead of being the type of people that landed them in prison.
  • Batman at some point had enough time to rig most of the phones in Gotham with sonar emitting devices that all transmit real-time 3D data to his cowl over what, at the time, could have only been 3G phone signals.
  • During the standoff with Two-Face, everyone suddenly forgets to think like a human being. Nobody tries to tell Harvey that they did in fact try to save Rachel as well or tell Harvey that Joker deliberately fed them false information about their locations. They never really even bother trying to tell Harvey what actually happened and the only reason they don't is to create a more dramatic ending.
  • The entire movie we hear about how Batman won't break his one rule, so of course he breaks his one rule [to be fair, Begins makes this mistake too]
  • Batman and Gordon dish all of Dent's killings on Batman. JUST BLAME DENT'S MURDERS ON THE JOKER SINCE THAT'S CLOSER TO THE TRUTH ANYWAY.
Dark Knights entire third act is stupid as fuck and somehow makes a magical microwave emitter seem less ridiculous.

spekkeh

Banned
The Dark Knight is better, but Batman Begins is much more enjoyable. TDK is beautifully acted, has Big Themes, and is turgid and overly long. Batman Begins is a simple superhero story with great imagination.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Batman Begins has that goofy miniature gotham that just reminds me of the Schumacher batman films, and the last act is pretty weak.

That said the Dark Knight is all over the place towards the end of it. On rewatch getting to the Two Face stuff, and the boats and the forced martyrdom; I was having trouble enjoying it. The boat scene especially sticks out as a sore thumb, like they just wanted to tell this short morality story and had no where to fit it.

I think Begins is the better film overall.

Ladekabel

I would go for The Dark Knight despite the chase scene....

Over the years I've come around to realizing that Batman Begins is the better overall movie. Everyone seems to forget that the third act of Dark Knight is pretty much a mess that Ledger desperately attempts to mask. Dark Knight is straight up a boring movie when Ledger isn't on screen. Bale's Batman voice in TDK is noticeably worse than it was in Batman Begins as well. Dark Knight loses me from the chase sequence onward because its a series of events that only work because Joker somehow had the ability to plan for events he could have in no way prepared for. Also, a good chunk of the character drama in Dark Knight is simply a biproduct of everyone talking to each other in cryptic movie talk instead of talking like normal human beings. The "Batman takes the blame" ending in The Dark Knight is also stupidly forced drama, just blame everything on the fucking Joker you moron.

Batman Begins has a better overall character arc for most of the characters in the movie, it has a more compelling third act even if it gets way more "comic booky" than Dark Knight, Batman doesn't feel like am imbecile in this movie, and the movie is actually about Batman. I'm also a fan of how Gotham is portrayed in Begins more than the sequels, because Gotham in this movie feels and looks more like a run down city that would warrant someone like Batman. Gotham in the sequels feels too clean and modern and looks more like a city Superman would fly around in. Begins is an overall more complete movie to me and the GOAT comic book movie.

Begins also has the best ending in a comic book movie as well as the best sequel tease.

After reading this, I'll go with Batman Begins

Alienous

Batman Begins. It's perhaps the best translation of a comic book character into a great movie, not just a great comic book movie. It takes a fairly ridiculous concept and puts it on the big screen seamlessly.

Dent's parts were more cruicial than Joker ones. You can't cut them. Movie doesn't make any sense thematically or structurally without Dent. The whole movie is revolving around Dent.
It doesn't make sense thematically or structurally anyway. Delete Dent, delete Dawes, just makes it about the Joker and Batman wrestling with "escalation" and irrational villainy in response to his irrational heroism. 100 minutes. In. Out. No boats. Done.

Eidan

I think a movie needs to stand the test of time before it is hailed as one of the greatest ever. Under 10 years doesn't cut it.

Yes, I'm sure public opinion will shift on the movie. Any day now...

As for TDK's third act, I'm sorry, I can't take those kind of complaints seriously when microwave bomb jettisoning to Wayne Tower is the climax of Batman Begins, complete with a train operator who continuously spells out the stakes for the dim in the audience.

I also can't help but roll my eyes at those who say TDK drags without Ledger, when the best scene in the whole goddamn movie doesn't have him. AND is in the third act.

I attended film school the year TDK came out. It was a very popular film to discuss.

Anyways, The Dark Knight for sure. Begins was great as well, but TDK was an instant classic.

I think Begin's third act actually works better than TDK's third act as well. The third act of TDK is honestly dumber because it requires a lot of remarkably dumb things to happen all nearly at once.

• Commissioner Gordon, for whatever reason, suddenly stops trusting Batman's advice when Batman says something's up with the hostage situation
  • A boat full of criminals who are likely greedy and potentially psychotic suddenly have a collective altruistic moment instead of being the type of people that landed them in prison.
  • Batman at some point had enough time to rig most of the phones in Gotham with sonar emitting devices that all transmit real-time 3D data to his cowl over what, at the time, could have only been 3G phone signals.
  • During the standoff with Two-Face, everyone suddenly forgets to think like a human being. Nobody tries to tell Harvey that they did in fact try to save Rachel as well or tell Harvey that Joker deliberately fed them false information about their locations. They never really even bother trying to tell Harvey what actually happened and the only reason they don't is to create a more dramatic ending.
  • Batman and Gordon dish all of Dent's killings on Batman. JUST BLAME DENT'S MURDERS ON THE JOKER SINCE THAT'S CLOSER TO THE TRUTH ANYWAY.
Dark Knights entire third act is stupid as fuck and somehow makes a magical microwave emitter seem less ridiculous.

I'm at work right now so I'm not gonna touch on all of these points, but RE the prisoner boat, I think your reading of that is pretty damn cynical and also flys in the face of why Batman is a hero. Batman doesn't kill and leaves things to the Justice system because he believes in second chances. The prisoners not electing to slaughter a bunch of families is a great expression of why Batman's ideology works, and thinking that criminals aren't capable of human moments is kind of a fucked way of thinking.

And they pin the murders on Batman because pinning crimes on someone else is not part of his code as well, and he knows Batman is a perfect vessel for taking shouldering the blame anyway.

I love Begins, especially for exploring Batman's origins in a more meaningful way, but TDK is just a more entertaining film. Aside from Ledger's joker, there are some really good action sequences and most of the supporting cast (Oldman, Caine etc...) is great.

Bale's Batman voice may not be great, but these films work in spite of that.

I want to say The Dark Knight, but man, Two-Face and Rachel tainted the rest of the movie. It would have been so much tighter and perfect had it been about Batman and Joker alone.

I will say this: the highs of The Dark Knight are higher than those of Begins, but Begins might be the overall better film.

Also, I really don't give a shit that Batman killed (indirectly) the bad guys. I mean, Christ. Some of you are so anal about this, it's like talking to a fundamentalist christian about interpreting the Bible.

Sephzilla

I'm at work right now so I'm not gonna touch on all of these points, but RE the prisoner boat, I think your reading of that is pretty damn cynical and also flys in the face of why Batman is a hero. Batman doesn't kill and leaves things to the Justice system because he believes in second chances. The prisoners not electing to slaughter a bunch of families is a great expression of why Batman's ideology works, and thinking that criminals aren't capable of human moments is kind of a fucked way of thinking.

And they pin the murders on Batman because pinning crimes on someone else is not part of his code as well, and he knows Batman is a perfect vessel for taking shouldering the blame anyway.

I can totally understand your point regarding the second chances thing. That's a pretty good point.

I also can't help but roll my eyes at those who say TDK drags without Ledger, when the best scene in the whole goddamn movie doesn't have him. AND is in the third act.

I don't necessarily think this is the best scene in the movie (my vote would be either the interrogation scene or the "some men just want to watch the world burn" scene). But like I stated before this scene bugs me because at no point do Gordon or Batman really seem to attempt to tell Dent that they did try to save Rachel and that Joker was the reason they didn't. They try to do this noble shoulder-the-blame shit even though doing that is only making the situation worse because it's justifying Dent further.

tomtom94

Batman Begins has less irritating Bale but worse action due to Nolan's relative inexperience. Also, there's a reason why the Batman Begins drinking game includes "every time they cut to the maintenance engineers".

By contrast, Bale is really irritating throughout Dark Knight but you don't care because the film zips along at a really good pace and the script is spot on.

Undrey

The first time I watched the trilogy, I thought Batman Begins was a better film. Looking back now it's clear that TDK has had more of an impact.

I really do wish we'd get superhero movies like these ones. Not part of some 20 movie universe, just a self-contained, great, trilogy.

The end of The Dark Knight is also so fucking patriarchal. Like, Two-Face says to Gordon that he'll take what's most precious to him, and he grabs his son, who is right there next to his sister, and who also happens to share the same name as his father. I know Nolan loves his patriarchy, but Christ. The only interpretation there is that Gordon loves his son more than his daughter, and that is fucking disgusting.

Eidan

• The entire movie we hear about how Batman won't break his one rule, so of course he breaks his one rule [to be fair, Begins makes this mistake too]

I liked this post. It really reads like something out of CinemaSins.

"Commissioner Gordon, for whatever reason, suddenly stops trusting Batman's advice when Batman says something's up with the hostage situation"

It's like the preceding 20 minutes didn't exist and inform you on why Gordon would be under immense pressure. He's already seen Rachel and Harvey Dent blown up, with Dent personally laying the blame at Gordon's feet, random citizens and officers in his own unit try to kill a reporter, a hospital blow up, Dent go missing, a hostage situation, and Joker threaten to blow up two ferries full of people. I don't know how a rational person can absorb all of that and then grumble "But why isn't Gordon stopping to listen to Batman?" It's pretty obvious.

"A boat full of criminals who are likely greedy and potentially psychotic suddenly have a collective altruistic moment instead of being the type of people that landed them in prison."

I think this says a lot more about you than the movie.

Batman at some point had enough time to rig most of the phones in Gotham with sonar emitting devices that all transmit real-time 3D data to his cowl over what, at the time, could have only been 3G phone signals.

I don't really see your problem with this. It was established earlier in the film.

"During the standoff with Two-Face, everyone suddenly forgets to think like a human being. Nobody tries to tell Harvey that they did in fact try to save Rachel as well or tell Harvey that Joker deliberately fed them false information about their locations. They never really even bother trying to tell Harvey what actually happened and the only reason they don't is to create a more dramatic ending."

Huh? Harvey's point during his final confrontation with Gordon and Batman was that the Joker chose him to make his point. They didn't say, "Well we tried to save Rachel" because that wasn't the point. When was the last time you saw the movie? Hell, even when Dent was directly blaming Gordon for Rachel's death, it wasn't because he believed they only came to save him. It was because he believed Gordon was complacent and allowed dirty cops in his unit, something he had brought up to him earlier in the film.

The Dark Knight is a masterpiece. Batman Begins is a great film.

Joker will never be touched as a villain on the big screen. You can almost say The Dark Knight was a masterpiece simply thanks to the Joker alone.

I prefer the editing and pacing of Begins quite a bit more. There something about the way TDK was cut together that I found jarring the first time I watched it. I was expecting for it to be paced in a similar way to Begins, but it just hits the ground running and never lets up.

It's a toss up, for me.

Sephzilla

I liked this post. It really reads like something out of CinemaSins.

"Commissioner Gordon, for whatever reason, suddenly stops trusting Batman's advice when Batman says something's up with the hostage situation"

It's like the preceding 20 minutes didn't exist and inform you on why Gordon would be under immense pressure. He's already seen Rachel and Harvey Dent blown up, with Dent personally laying the blame at Gordon's feet, random citizens and officers in his own unit try to kill a reporter, a hospital blow up, Dent go missing, a hostage situation, and Joker threaten to blow up two ferries full of people. I don't know how a rational person can absorb all of that and then grumble "But why isn't Gordon stopping to listen to Batman?" It's pretty obvious.

"A boat full of criminals who are likely greedy and potentially psychotic suddenly have a collective altruistic moment instead of being the type of people that landed them in prison."

I think this says a lot more about you than the movie.

Batman at some point had enough time to rig most of the phones in Gotham with sonar emitting devices that all transmit real-time 3D data to his cowl over what, at the time, could have only been 3G phone signals.

I don't really see your problem with this. It was established earlier in the film.

The CinemaSins comparison feels a little unnecessarily harsh because I, unlike them, am still trying to apply some context ;)

The stuff you mentioned about Gordon being under immense pressure is totally understandable but that still doesn't explain why he'd suddenly stop trusting Batman in particular, the guy who's basically been Gordon's MVP up until this point in the movie. With all of the stuff you mentioned, Batman pretty much remained the one constant at his side during all of that turmoil. If anything Gordon should probably lean on Batman even more.

The problem I have with the sonar cowl stuff is that a 3G signal is never going to be able to even remotely deliver real time information like that. The microwave emitter, by comparison, is probably more realistic/believable than that. One problem I have with the Nolan trilogy as a whole is that they're put together as slightly more grounded portrayals of the Batman mythos, but then they make these really sudden jumps back into full on comic-book bullshit and it feels really awkward and out of place with the style of the movie.

Breakaway

I prefer Batman Begins. It was a very good origin story first and foremost, and visually it was more memorable than TDK with the design of Gotham and the Narrows. Batman's overall presentation was just better; his voice was a lot better in Begins, and his suit had a more 'comic book' feel to it. I found the Ra's and Bruce/Batman dynamic more intriguing than Joker and Batman, or Dent and Bruce. While the fight scenes weren't great, I appreciate what Nolan was trying to do in that he shot them from a criminal perspective to make Batman look faster and more monstrous.

The camera is panned back in TDK and the fight scenes are slowed down so we can actually see the action, but I found this made Batman appear less formidable as a result. Begins also had the awesome stealth scenes that played well to the idea that Batman was a 'creature of the night' and not a man; the part where Scarecrow's thugs are speculating on Batman's "powers" was great for this reason. Lastly, the ending remains my favorite in any comic book film.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
As OP said, both have pros and cons. I can't put one over the other, and I usually watch both back to back anyway.

Eidan

The CinemaSins comparison feels a little unnecessarily harsh because I, unlike them, am still trying to apply some context ;)

The stuff you mentioned about Gordon being under immense pressure is totally understandable but that still doesn't explain why he'd suddenly stop trusting Batman, the guy who's basically been Gordon's MVP up until this point in the movie.

The problem I have with the sonar cowl stuff is that a 3G signal is never going to be able to even remotely deliver real time information like that. The microwave emitter, by comparison, is probably more realistic/believable than that. One problem I have with the Nolan trilogy as a whole is that they're put together as slightly more grounded portrayals of the Batman mythos, but then they make these really sudden jumps back into full on comic-book bullshit and it feels really awkward and out of place with the style of the movie.

You admit that Gordon was under immense pressure, but don't believe that's enough for him to briefly not want to listen to Batman? We'll just have to agree to disagree there.

As for the 3G nonsense, I'm watching a movie about a caped billionaire superhero. I'm not going to be able to bring myself to care about something like that. The technology was set up and explained earlier in the film. From a narrative standpoint, that's all I require. Anything more delves into a realm of nitpicking that I don't find particularly enlightening or interesting from a criticism standpoint.

Sephzilla

You admit that Gordon was under immense pressure, but don't believe that's enough for him to briefly not want to listen to Batman? We'll just have to agree to disagree there.

As for the 3G nonsense, I'm watching a movie about a caped billionaire superhero. I'm not going to be able to bring myself to care about something like that. The technology was set up and explained earlier in the film. From a narrative standpoint, that's all I require. Anything more delves into a realm of nitpicking that I don't find particularly enlightening or interesting from a criticism standpoint.

Maybe this is just me but when I'm under immense pressure I tend to lean more on the people who aren't causing me issues instead of isolating them. Plus from a narrative standpoint it bugs me because it's an unnecessary plot contrivance made to create a tense scene and at no prior point in the movie have they established that Gordon's faith in Batman may be wavering. Gordon puts faith in his men and his judgement even though those two things are what have put him in a spot of immense pressure and not Batman.

Admittedly the cowl stuff is totally nitpicking, so I'll absolutely concede that. But if people (and I'm not talking about you, just to be clear) are going to bitch about the microwave emitter from Begins then I think it's totally fair to point out how ridiculous the sonar cowl is in TDK.

I respect and enjoy both. But for me BB while it may not be the better film, it is the better Batman film of the two. DK pulled Gotham more into real world Chicago. It could have easily been a Michael Mann flick. Which is fine if that's what I'm in the mood for.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

That's pretty pedantic, don't you think? Sure, it's a 'grounded portrayal', but it's still about a playboy billionaire who never seems to get a decent amount of sleep, dressing up as a Bat and gliding around beating up mentally ill people. That's quite a springy suspension of disbelief at its bedrock. Of all the things to take issue with, it's hardly fair to dock it points for the unrealistic portrayal of 3G real-time information delivery. :D

Begins has a much better character arch and its really impressive how well they nailed an interesting origin story.

Dark Knight is just fun as hell to watch but its mostly because of how awesome it is to watch the joker go fucking nuts for two hours. It felt like a high water mark when I saw it the first time.

After rewatching a few times though, Begins holds up much better. There too many conveniences and short cuts that they use in the Dark Knight to make the Joker feel more like a force of nature, which works the first time you see it but gets diminished after repeated viewings. I think the initial impact of TDK was huge due to how far they pushed the Joker and I think it really just exceeded a lot of peoples expectations at the time.

Begins feels like a much more complete/well rounded movie even if it follows the path you kinda expect it to before you watch it.

My vote goes for Batman Begins

Sephzilla

That's pretty pedantic, don't you think? Sure, it's a 'grounded portrayal', but it's still about a playboy billionaire who never seems to get a decent amount of sleep, dressing up as a Bat and gliding around beating up mentally ill people. That's quite a springy suspension of disbelief at its bedrock. Of all the things to take issue with, it's hardly fair to dock it points for the unrealistic portrayal of 3G real-time information delivery. :D

Yep. Like I said a couple posts up I'm admittedly being nitpicky about it but I tend to only bring that up when people either bring up the microwave emitter from Begins or start talking about how mediocre TDK's third act is compared to the rest of the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom