• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Fire Emblem lord is your favorite?

Azuran

Banned
Ike and it's not even close.

Furthermore, the Greil Mercenaries are the coolest group of characters in the series.

TUSR

Banned
Seeing everyone's answers in this thread is making me want to play FE games I missed out on due to localization.

NEO0MJ

Roy, he's my boy! He was so fun to play in Smash.

I only ever played Awakening (still didn't finish it) and neither Chrom nor Lucina really interested me yet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not even counting the Awakening child Ike supposedly had [it's called turkey basters, people!], I like Ike because they tried to make him as ambiguously gay as possible without ruffling NIntendo's family-friendly conservative censors. They basically used the same tactics many movies employed in the 1950's to show homosexuality.
Sigh...

This again? I don't mean to open a can of worms, but Ike is a Nintendo character written to be devoted to his friends, his duty, and his sense of justice to the point where he is brain dead to things like romance. It's a trope. It will never be anything else. Just because he's best friends with Soren, who he grew up with, doesn't imply anything. He has a descendent, it's pretty clear cut that wasn't the intention. He is asexual the same way all brawn-oriented, fight for justice shonen tropes are.

That's why it's written ambivalently. If you find that kind of stuff disturbing or you just plain don't like it, you can interpret the way you like.
No, I don't find that kind of stuff disturbing. I find it disturbing the same way I find the "Squall is dead" theory from FFVIII disturbing - it feels like such a stretch based on so little context, and seems so prevalent among some members of the community, that it makes my "this interferes with perception of canon" sensor go off like crazy. I realize my interpretation isn't any more valid than anyone else's, I just can't agree with this particular theory at all.

That said... Ike is one of my favorites, too. The way he grew from member -> leader of the Greil Mercenaries was one of the better written plot threads in a Fire Emblem game, and the story surrounding his parents and its gradual unveiling was also the most interesting story surrounding a Fire Emblem lead. His unique personality and background make him stand out from the rest, and it doesn't hurt that he's a great unit in battle, too.

Sigh...

This again? I don't mean to open a can of worms, but Ike is a Nintendo character written to be devoted to his friends, his duty, and his sense of justice to the point where he is brain dead to things like romance. It's a trope. It will never be anything else. Just because he's best friends with Soren, who he grew up with, doesn't imply anything. He has a descendent, it's pretty clear cut that wasn't the intention. He is asexual the same way all brawn-oriented, fight for justice shonen tropes are. People are free to interpret anything the way that they want to, but I can never get behind this theory.

That's why it's written ambivalently. If you find that kind of stuff disturbing or you just plain don't like it, you can interpret the way you like. EDIT: This is actually very common with positive gay/lesbian representations in Japanese media.

Though the fact that Ike only has that special ending conversation with Soren and that they can have an ending together is pretty telling. That and no romantic support convos with women, even though Elincia is clearly up for it.

Fun fact: NoA actually added the word 'friend' to Soren's final lines in their A support in PoR, probably wanting to avoid a romantic reading.

mdubs

Banned
1. Hector - Absolutely beastly character, also hilarious. Plus his daughter becomes the main love interest for Roy, cool things forever sealing the epic bromance between him and Eliwood.
2. Lyn - Strong female character, all the guys love her (the awkward conversation in the forest between Hector and Eliwood about her was great) and she's impossible to hit after she gets promoted.
3. Ike - Strongest character arc out of all the Fire Emblem lords imo (although PoR had the best story so this may help) and is capable of clearing maps by himself. Plus that epic duel with the Black Knight. Always hoped he would end up with Elincia though, too bad.
4. Lucina - She's great and looks super cool but otherwise I can't really come up with other reasons.

Also, Marth is by far the least interesting lord but granted that the story in his games was brutal so maybe they would have characterized him better if they are remaking it. Liked that at least him and Caeda were definitely going to get together.

I've only played the English games and FE6 so that would explain why Sigurd is not on this list.

redcrayon

I like Chrom. Wheras most Fire Emblem lords seem to go from untested rookies to genius-level generals in a matter of weeks, Chrom starts off with a base level of wisdom and tactical skill, combined with being reasonable and having a natural aura of leadership, and goes from there. I wouldn't follow a 16-year-old anywhere, but Chrom is at least a believable commander for being a little bit older, more level-headed and wiser than most of his troops, unlike quite a few of the others.

Great voice-acting (along with the choice of a slightly older actor) helped a lot with that, I think.

If anything, I find that the lords all suffer from a lack of any real individual character flaws, with the exception of Hector's gung-ho approach. Otherwisem I suppose most of them share the 'trusts people a bit too easily' one, and often the female ones have the 'trying to avoid combat too much puts even more lives in danger' one. Still, both are boringly generic 'heroic' flaws for young, relatively naive characters, with far more positive points as bad ones- usually even such 'flaws' are lauded as being major character pluses by the others, making them born leaders that inspire loyalty (usually the boys) and empathic angels of pure virtue (usually the girls).

Still one of my favourite series though. Radiant Dawn is probably my favourite even if I can't stand the in-game mary-sue-esque worship of bloody Micaiah, who heals people by taking damage herself. So ridiculously self-sacrificing that it just makes me wince. Most boring lead in the series.

mdubs

Banned
Lyn was the best. Coolest crit finishers as well.

FE7_Lyn_Critical.gif

Who else remembers this epic moment, the start of an epic journey.

There is a lack of gif in this wonderful thread, for shame Fire Emblem gaf this must be fixed!

Also that Hector Armads critical:

64-armads.gif

Best two lords.

Nohar

65-lyncrit2.gif

Lyn definitly has the cooler critical hit of the series.

Though, Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken also surprised me with Jaffar's critical hit. It was my first Fire Emblem, and, well, it was both classy and brutal.

My favourite is Ike, because he can just wipe out entire armies by himself soley to fight for his friends. Hector is a close second because of this reason.

I also like Lyn, Erika, and Ephriam because they are very kind deep within and do much for their allies as much as possible.

My least favourites however is Chrom and Lucina (you can tell Awakening is one of my least favourites :p), as there wasn't much character development, though that's also the game's fault as it was too short compared to other games. The character development just felt forced, in my opinion.

I haven't played any other Fire Emblem games aside from the games the respective lords come from.

Aexact

1. Micaiah

I may be the only person on earth who likes her, but I really enjoyed the 'Jeanne d'Arc take' on a FE lord. She is the most unlikely leader who, through desperate circumstances finds herself a leader of her people (while harbouring conflicting emotions about said people due to her mixed blood inheritance). I also liked how the difficulty of her chapters reflected her desperate circumstances.
Haha, that's one way to look at it! I feel like everyone complains that the Dawn Brigade chapters are unjustly harsh but it contrasts nicely with Ike's group, which is battle-hardened but destitute.

I also liked Micaiah and felt the Dawn Brigade's adoration of her was deserved rather then some symptom of Mary Sue'ism as she's often criticized for. She made the most cutthroat choices, which made things more interesting.

Still like Ike's hero's journey in Path of Radiance more though. He has a fairly stock noble FE Lord personality but the way he was forced to compromise, whether through his father's scolding or the reality presented by the Begnion empress, made his challenges feel more weighty and a comment here or there would confirm that he was learning.

mdubs

Banned
Could someone who likes Marth please explain why? I'm genuinely curious because he seems to me to have the most non-existent personality of any of the lords (although it's been years since I played Shadow Dragon so I may just not remember)

Tookay

Always had a soft spot for Lyn and really wish she had been promoted to playable character in Smash.

Ike is also great, however; seeing him grow up over two games was really nice, especially when he became straight-up beastly in RD (and owns the story after the initial Dawn Brigade setup).

Could someone who likes Marth please explain why? I'm genuinely curious because he seems to me to have the most non-existent personality of any of the lords (although it's been years since I played Shadow Dragon so I may just not remember)

I like Marth because he has the same blank yet distinguished countenance as my princely tuxedo cat.

Fiktion

Banned
Lyn was my first Lord, and she is pretty awesome in her own right, so she takes the top spot.

Lucina probably comes second.

Ike third.

Fuck Roy.

Kanra

Tie between Marth and Lucina. Marth was always my favorite lord until Lucina came along. Now I can't decide which one I like more.

Ike followed by Hector. Ike was in absolute beast, especially in Radiant Dawn and I loved his crit animation. Hector was great too, plus axe wielder and all.

Codeblue

Ike if I had to choose, but I'm a big fan of Ephraim as a character as well.

Seriously confused over what characteristics would make Roy or Eliwood someone's favorite, as they have very few.

Ike has a rugged style to him that most other lords don't have. They're mostly a bunch of princes and other royal figures and Ike is just a mercenary with a good group of friends and massive arm muscles.

KingK

Ike and it's not even close.

Furthermore, the Greil Mercenaries are the coolest group of characters in the series.

100% agreed. And, while I didn't use her much in battles, Micaiah's character arc was fantastic and puts her in my 2nd place slot. Ephraim is a distant 3rd. PoR/RD is my favorite game (it's hard for me to separate them because I almost always play them back to back as one continuing journey, but I'd probably give the edge to Radiant Dawn).

Sigh...

This again? I don't mean to open a can of worms, but Ike is a Nintendo character written to be devoted to his friends, his duty, and his sense of justice to the point where he is brain dead to things like romance. It's a trope. It will never be anything else. Just because he's best friends with Soren, who he grew up with, doesn't imply anything. He has a descendent, it's pretty clear cut that wasn't the intention. He is asexual the same way all brawn-oriented, fight for justice shonen tropes are. People are free to interpret anything the way that they want to, but I can never get behind this theory.

No, I don't find that kind of stuff disturbing. I find it disturbing the same way I find the "Squall is dead" theory from FFVIII disturbing - it feels like such a stretch based on so little context, and seems so prevalent among some members of the community, that it makes my "this interferes with perception of canon" sensor go off like crazy. I realize my interpretation isn't any more valid than anyone else's, I just can't agree with this particular theory at all.

Well said. I don't have any problem with that kind of character or story but I don't think there's anything remotely close to supporting it as canon, and that includes the ending with Soren. You have to take into account everything about Soren's character, the history he has had with Ike, and how that relationship grew out of his first encounter with Ike as a starving outcast child. I didn't see anything more than two very close friends, one of whom basically owes his entire existence to the other and has to balance that against an incredible amount of justified anger at the outside world.

Perfectly legit to interpret it however you want though. Wouldn't at all change my opinion of the character if some content were introduced that did make some kind of other relationship canon; I just do not see it at all in what we have so far.

ryseing

Elincia.

She was a lord in part 2 of Radiant Dawn.

In all seriousness, I've never really loved FE lords as much as the side characters. Ike is probably my favorite though.

Erheller

Ike. In RD the first time he showed up as
an enemy of the Dawn Brigade, I wanted to see if I could kill him.
RIP Dawn Brigade

Ike is the best Fire Emblem Lord.

Granted, he has an advantage in that I haven't played Fire Emblem Gaiden through Fuin no Tsurugi. Plus, Ike's character really gets flushed out over two games, giving him an advantage over every other Lord, save for Marth.

But Ike is awesome. He goes from a young guy with very little confidence thrust into the leadership role of the Greil Mercenaries to a total badass by the time you get to events in Radiant Dawn.

Top Bottom