• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which franchise is bigger for EA: FIFA or Madden?

I'm talking worldwide of course. Madden sells more in the US, that we all know. We also know the USA is the biggest market for videogames in the world so that's why I'm not sure if the videogame of the most popular sport on earth can outsell the videogame for the most popular sport in America.

Do we know which franchise is bigger? And if so, by how much? Is it a little margin? Is it a huge difference? What is it?

Welfare

Madden only sells big in the US. FIFA is a world wide brand and is even picking up steam in the US. It's FIFA.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Fifa by a long mile. Especially now that Fifa in the US is a top seller

brawly

Does Madden have something similar to Ultimate Team? That shit prints money. But even without that it's Fifa.

xrnzaaas

Of course it's FIFA. The sales of Madden games are marginal compared to FIFA outside of US. In my country it's not available for retail purchase, because practically no one is interested in this sport.

How is this even a topic? FIFA is bigger than all other EA sport licences combined
In the world of videogames you have to compare all of Europe in bulk in order to compete with just the US. Latin America, Middle East, Asia and Africa are minuscule drop-in-the-bucket sales that add nothing to the total. That only leaves Australia and Japan which are neither huge soccer fans or big console game buyers respectively. Maybe you can see why I considered Madden having a fighting chance by being insanely popular in the biggest videogame market in the world.

WadeitOut

Now, that second statement is just wrong.

FIFA is obviously the best-selling one, it's football, the most popular sport in the world.

Bieber sells music all over the world and we both know it's trash.

And I'm just joking around if that wasn't clear to future replies lol.

NJD316

Neo Member
In the UK there are people who only own a games console to play FIFA. I'm sure it's the same in other parts of Europe.

Majukun

more like madden sells ONLY in the USA
i mean someone might actually buy it in europe too,but it coming out it's a non-event in Europe,contrary to fifa

Vice

In the world of videogames you have to compare all of Europe in bulk in order to compete with just the US. Latin America, Middle East, Asia and Africa are minuscule drop-in-the-bucket sales that add nothing to the total. That only leaves Australia and Japan which are neither huge soccer fans or big console game buyers respectively. Maybe you can see why I considered Madden having a fighting chance by being insanely popular in the biggest videogame market in the world.
FIFA does Madden+2K numbers worldwide. While other markets are smaller it is the kig of sports games outaide the U.S hwere people buy NFL, NBA, FIFA and MLB stuff. Less competition since nothing else is as watched.

Edit: As far as Ultimate Team goes, I believe all EA team sports games have those now.

Fifa is so big in Europe (and probably outside of it). I even remember seeing Fifa at some point on the NPD list.

It's probably the game that sells most consoles in my country (Belgium). Almost all my casual gamer friends buy a (new) console for Fifa. Most of them don't even have PS+, but just enjoy the offline play and even Ultimate Team.
Off topic, but Sony and Microsoft should be worried when people could just play Fifa through streaming or with their mobile device connected to the TV.

This isn't even a debate.

FIFA is far bigger. This is because NFL is only played in the US (Madden is NFL?). Whereas foitball is played by the world.

Let's add a little bit of data to the mix: FIFA and Battlefield are EA's most profitable franchises, with FIFA making up "27% of the company’s net revenues and 23% of the company’s gross profits in 2013." Also dominates for EA's Ultimate Team.

Sport games are just a dream for every publisher (if you have the right licenses and the money), you can easily buy a monopoly with all the licensing deals. PES can have the better gameplay and whatnot, casual gamers will never buy it if you don't have Real Madrid for example.
It's a rather easy yearly 60 euro game without much effort and huge profitability with Ultimate Team, that most people even love.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The only thing Madden is competitive in is the mobile game, but that will change very soon when the new FIFA mobile title hits that shares its design.

Nesther

Yeah, gonna echo that FIFA sentiment. Madden is basically irrelevant in Europe, I never even seen a copy in stores here. I used to though, 10 or so years ago.

Top Bottom