• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which franchise is bigger for EA: FIFA or Madden?

Tenki

FIFA sells well everywhere. Nobody outside the US gives a fuck about Madden. Or about handegg in general.

Here in Spain Madden is a GAME exclusive. You can already see how low the sales have to be.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
FIFA is even catching up to Madden in the USA from what I had been told.

madmackem

Doesn't Madden also have Ultimate Team?
It does but with FIFA sales dwarfing madden sales I'm betting FIFA ut pack sales are on another level to all other ut pack sales, people spend hundreds heck thousands on FIFA points, loads of youtubers have made a living out of pack opening videos alone, FIFA is just crazy big worldwide.

Alo0oy

Banned
In the world of videogames you have to compare all of Europe in bulk in order to compete with just the US. Latin America, Middle East, Asia and Africa are minuscule drop-in-the-bucket sales that add nothing to the total. That only leaves Australia and Japan which are neither huge soccer fans or big console game buyers respectively. Maybe you can see why I considered Madden having a fighting chance by being insanely popular in the biggest videogame market in the world.

That's very inaccurate.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
In the world of videogames you have to compare all of Europe in bulk in order to compete with just the US. Latin America, Middle East, Asia and Africa are minuscule drop-in-the-bucket sales that add nothing to the total. That only leaves Australia and Japan which are neither huge soccer fans or big console game buyers respectively. Maybe you can see why I considered Madden having a fighting chance by being insanely popular in the biggest videogame market in the world.

Well, Japan seems to like soccer games, considering PES is quite popular there. They just do not seem to value irrelevant stuff like licensing too much.

Li Kao

Well, Japan seems to like soccer games, considering PES is quite popular there. They just do not seem to value irrelevant stuff like licensing too much.

Yeah that part is wrong iirc. Japan is huge on soccer historically, they are/were PES customers though and not FIFA. Don't know if it's still the case with the downfall/crashing/salted earth that are the Japanese charts these days.

xVodevil

FIFA surely.
And I hate EA for their console only Madden policy for years now... They could at least give us something every few years :\

petran79

Banned
Second largest franchise should have been cricket. Almost 2.5 billion viewerbase. Problem is you cant sell 60$ games in those regions.

365393-3611.jpg

Overseas that franchise is more popular than Madden. EA made some games too. They have abysmall reviews

2793_jaquette_rugby_15_ps3_cover.jpg

FIFA

Also, If I'm not mistaken FIFA lately also makes it into the NDP lists whist Madden does never do the same on any PAL chart

Ombala

Fifa is a worldwide brand Madden is US centric. Think of FIFA as Sony and Madden as Xbox then you get the picture.

FIFA easily

You can tell because it's the only sports game EA bothers to port to the PC anymore

even though i would literally kill for NHL on Origin

bjaelke

Kill3r7

FIFA.

Madden does incredibly well in the US, TOP3 in sales year in and year out but FIFA is incredibly strong around the world and no slouch in the US either. FIFA is arguably EA's best selling franchise and the second biggest game most years, only behind COD.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I once tried Madden. My British mind was completely puzzled.

Me and my friends once sat down out of the blue to watch the superbowl finals. (We are dutch and know jack shit about AFB).
That shit was mindboggling to watch. 20 seconds of action followed by a solid 30 minutes of hardcore standing around, aerial crowd shots, cheerleaders and dudes running with clipboards wearing headsets.

I get that it's a tactical game and there's some cool moments, but man, that shit is impenetrable if you aren't used to the flow of the game.

I basically need a book called 'American Football for dummies'.

Rowlet

Banned
Fifa is a worldwide brand Madden is US centric. Think of FIFA as Sony and Madden as Xbox then you get the picture.

Terrible example. Playstation outsells xbox in the US, Whereas, fifa doesn't get close to madden in the states.

Also, fifa is the obvious answer. As football (soccer) trumps NFL in popularity.

kAmui-

Are there any numbers how FIFA (or games in general) sell in bolded regions? Would be really interesting to see.

Outrun

FIFA sells well everywhere. Nobody outside the US gives a fuck about Madden. Or about handegg in general.

Here in Spain Madden is a GAME exclusive. You can already see how low the sales have to be.

Hahaha wow,

I got to use handegg in the future.

kromeo

Me and my friends once sat downout of the blue to watch the superbowl finals. (We are dutch and know jack shit about AFB).
That shit was mindboggling to watch. 20 seconds of action followed by a solid 30 minutes of hardcore standing around, aerial crowd shots, cheerleaders and dudes running with clipboards wearing headsets.

I get that it's a tactical game and there's some cool moments, but man, that shit is impenetrable if you aren't used to the flow of the game.

I basically need a book called 'American Football for dummies'.

I've tried a few times but there's just no flow to it, like watching soccer with no open play, just set pieces. The commentary as well, they seem to just run off an endless list of stats.. I'm sure it's better if you understand all the rules but it's not for me

Kill3r7

I'm not doubting the general consensus here, but is there really no newer data? On worldwide sales or even just FIFA-EU vs Madden-US sales??

EA for the most part does not release unit sales/numbers anymore, unless they forecast future sales and provide shareholders with a baseline for their guidance. They do however list revenue numbers and let's just say they make more money from FUT and MUT than most AAA releases make in revenue.

EA for the most part does not release unit sales/numbers anymore, unless they refer to their future sales and provide shareholders with a baseline for their guidance. They do however list revenue numbers and let's just say they make more money from FUT and MUT than most AAA releases make in revenue.
Ah, ok, thanks. And there are no other numbers that could point in the right direction? Number of leaderboard entries 3 months after releas or so (if those exist, my hardcore FIFA phase was from 1998 to 2005, only invested like 3 hours in those games since back then)

Top Bottom