• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which retro tracks should return in Mario Kart Switch?

With the Switch event a mere week away we'll no doubt be seeing the Switch version of Mario Kart which is believed to be an expansion of Mario Kart 8. For reference the retro tracks currently available in Mario Kart 8 are:
SNES: Donut Plains 3, Rainbow Road
N64: Toad's Turnpike, Royal Raceway, Yoshi Valley, Rainbow Road
GBA: Mario Circuit, Ribbon Road, Cheese Land
Gamecube: Dry Dry Desert, Sherbet Land, Yoshi's Circuit, Baby Park
DS: Cheep Cheep Beach, Wario Stadium, Tick Tock Clock
Wii: Moo Moo Meadows, Grumble Volcano, Wario's Goldmine
3DS: DK Jungle, Music Park, Piranha Plant Slide, Neo Bowser City

I don't think we can run under the assumption that Nintendo won't bring back retro tracks that have already appeared in previous games as SNES Rainbow Road was in both Mario Kart 7 and 8 (and Super Circuit technically).

I'm personally a pretty big fan of Alpine Pass from Mario Kart 7, mostly because I think it would look amazing in HD. There isn't a whole lot I would do to change the track as most of the mechanics from Mario Kart 7 are present in 8, perhaps make the final stretch where you avoid boulders an anti-gravity section.
ZM50otI.png

04c5a1fb24.jpg

Berordn

I don't think we can run under the assumption that Nintendo won't bring back retro tracks that have already appeared in previous games as SNES Rainbow Road was in both Mario Kart 7 and 8 (and Super Circuit technically).

More importantly, if they did this there would be no more N64 retro tracks and I don't think the internet would allow that.

Anyway the real answer is Wario Shipyard.

Platy

k1Ga4X8.jpg

Cosmo Terminal - Trident

Mario Kart 8 had 2 F-Zero Based tracks and ignored THE track for anti gravity mechanics !

Obviously the tracks would have to be larger but c'mon ! It is BEGGING to happen

Zalman

Shoutout to Koopa Troopa Beach because the music is jolly as heck.

Also if we're talking battle mode stages, bring back the Nintendo DS level.

Berordn

While they're at it, I really want them to make the Triforce Cup and Crossing Cup into proper cups by moving the retro courses to proper retro cups and adding in enough new tracks to make them stand alongside the others.

It's a dumb complaint, but my OCD won't let it stand any longer.

plus i'd like another two f-zero courses so that we can just have a proper f-zero cup

They made my dreams come true when they put SNES Rainbow Road in there, so I don't feel that strongly about which other retro tracks, if any, are included.

I really dig the rainbow roads, so maybe bring all of them back?

Some other SNES tracks would be good, too, since in my opinion it may be the Mario Kart game that's aged the worst, track-wise.

GameCube and GBA need more love. These are probably the ones I want most to see realized in HD:

Banshee Boardwalk
Sky Garden
Mushroom City
Wario Colosseum

Block Fort
Double Deck

Rainbow Cup

Makonero

They made my dreams come true when they put SNES Rainbow Road in there, so I don't feel that strongly about which other retro tracks, if any, are included.

I really dig the rainbow roads, so maybe bring all of them back?

Some other SNES tracks would be good, too, since in my opinion it may be the Mario Kart game that's aged the worst, track-wise.

Rainbow cup? Yesssssss

J@hranimo

Banned
Alpine Pass is a good'un.
I'd also like to see Wario's Galleon (Shipyard).

260px-Wariogalleon.png

It's got a very cool and distinctive design, with sunken ships, giant enemy crabs, and a moody storm.

Oh man, this too. Now I don't know what I would want between this Wario track and Wario Colosseum...

Waluigi Pinball, Bowser's Castle 64, Sky Gardens, Wario's Shipyard

Fun stages. WP in HD is the dream. Sky Gardens with 8's style of remaking the GBA courses would be great too. What they did to Cheese Land and Ribbon Road is mesmerizing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
GCN DK Mountain
GCN Wario Colosseum
DS Delfino Square
Wii Maple Treeway
3DS Rock Rock Mountain

They really should try and cram as many tracks in as possible, they don't really need to touch the base game for the next few years, just focus on DLC.

Before Mario Kart 8 was released, I always worried that Nintendo would stick staunchly to a rule of only resurrecting circuits that hadn't been done before, but I was happy they included some retro tracks that appeared in the retro cups in games after Mario Kart DS.

I'd love to see Cookie Land return if Coin Runners mode makes it in.

k1Ga4X8.jpg

Cosmo Terminal - Trident

Mario Kart 8 had 2 F-Zero Based tracks and ignored THE track for anti gravity mechanics !

Obviously the tracks would have to be larger but c'mon ! It is BEGGING to happen
Remake F-Zero in Mario Kart.

Easily my favorite part of the DLC was Big Blue and Mute City. MORE MORE MORE, PLEASE!

muteki

All the Battle tracks.

And some of the more difficult SNES tracks...but to scale. I want to drive on some narrow-ass roads.

Top Bottom