• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which retro tracks should return in Mario Kart Switch?

clav

More SNES tracks: Bowsers Castle 3 + Ghost Valley 3.

MK 8 Title theme already has that classic SMK SNES theme!

Focus on making walls/tracks narrower. System is already in place for driving off the main course (slow terrain).

Mandatory 5 laps on SNES tracks.

Hey Reggie, NeoGAF say they want all retro tracks in Mario Kart Switch, think you can do that for us Reggie?

get

GAF is insatiable, Reggie knows better.

Toad.T

Banned
The arcade exclusive ones. Have each track transform into it's variant, ala Sega all stars racing Transformed.

I would just fix the N64 Rainbow Road so that going around the whole track once is one lap. The original N64 Rainbow Road felt like an endurance race and I loved it.

N64 Ghost level.
N64 Wario level.
N64 Choc Mountain.
N64 Star Road.

So all of N64 maps yeah?

Donkey Kong + Yoshi levels on 3DS were perfect too.

BigPete

More SNES tracks: Bowsers Castle 3 + Ghost Valley 3.

MK 8 Title theme already has that classic SMK SNES theme!

Focus on making walls/tracks narrower. System is already in place for driving off the main course (slow terrain).

Mandatory 5 laps on SNES tracks.

I came in here intending to post those two tracks as well.

Roo

WARIO COLOSSEUM

and Wario Colosseum

Wario Colosseum.

Wario Colosseum
Wario_Colosseum_MKDD.png

GCN Wario Colosseum.

Wario Colosseum

Wario Colosseum, goddamnit.

Basically what all theses dudes said.
I don't really care what other tracks get in as long as Wario Colosseum is one of them.

That one and probably any Bowser's Castle in the series except for the SNES trash. Hopefully either the N64, GCN or Wii versions.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Honestly, all of them via DLC over the coming generation.

DLaicH

k1Ga4X8.jpg

Cosmo Terminal - Trident

Mario Kart 8 had 2 F-Zero Based tracks and ignored THE track for anti gravity mechanics !

Obviously the tracks would have to be larger but c'mon ! It is BEGGING to happen

Yes please! Of course, I would fall off the edge just as much on a Mario Kart Trident as I used to on the real Trident, but I'd love every minute of it.

Peltz

I'd love to see a MK8-Ultimate. Simply every single Mario Kart track ever made all in one package. I know, it's greedy. But if I'm going to dream, I'm going to dream big.

While they're at it, I really want them to make the Triforce Cup and Crossing Cup into proper cups by moving the retro courses to proper retro cups and adding in enough new tracks to make them stand alongside the others.

It's a dumb complaint, but my OCD won't let it stand any longer.

plus i'd like another two f-zero courses so that we can just have a proper f-zero cup

What would the Crossing Cup even have for three other tracks that would be unique? The museum? That new campground place?

Roo

MK8 missing battle mode will never be fixed, what are the chances this version will?
Well, according to rumors, the Switch port will have a new battle mode. It probably means actual battle arenas instead of more race tracks modified for it.

We still don't know for sure but that seems to be the general consensus.

MGrant

DK Mountain is obviously the greatest of all time, and should be in every future Mario Kart. I'd like to mention Dino Dino Jungle and Mushroom City here while we're on the topic of Double Dash tracks.

Pizza

Checker knights is the not-mk track I'd want the most. I'd love a track based on each major Nintendo property (and a character to go with them: where the fuck is captain falcon??) an advance wars track with a tank kart and one of the protagonists would be lit, same with a dkr cup and diddy+Conker+banjo (or more reasonably tiptup and Dixie)

Honestly my big three retro tracks that I DESPERATELY wanted were ribbon road and cheese land (I really wanted to see how those really abstract track concepts would translate into mk8) and neo bowser city

I'd like to see the desert track with the train, and warrior colliseum and honestly all the double dash tracks are great! I'd like to see more of the snes/gba tracks remade since those are the biggest graphical leap possible, and I like em

Oh shit daisy cruise would be lit af.

Mk8 also has a sick selection of original tracks, I'd love to see them up the ante even more

Berordn

What would the Crossing Cup even have for three other tracks that would be unique? The museum? That new campground place?

Doesn't have to be Animal Crossing, I just want four original tracks in that cup.

In this case just move Baby Park and Cheese Land to a new all retro cup and add two more courses.

Parapraxis

Well, according to rumors, the Switch port will have a new battle mode. It probably means actual battle arenas instead of more race tracks modified for it.

We still don't know for sure but that seems to be the general consensus.

Sorry yes, I mean arenas, MK8's "battle mode" is a joke. Not sure if i'm keen on re-bying a port.

Waluigi Pinball, Wario Colosseum, and Delfino Square would all be welcome additions.

But if we're throwing out F-Zero tracks, I want this bad boy:
latest

Since Yoshi circuit and Baby park opened for door for previously used retro tracks to return I'd love to see Maple Treeway and Delfino Square.

Getting Coconut Mall and Koopa Cape back would be neat.

Seeing more SNES tracks would also be grand since they'd be redone in the MK8 engine, with all that entails.

Pejo

I just want the SNES battle mode back. Also that level from the famous gif where Daisy goes from 1st place to last by getting hit by all kinds of items and falling off the bridge twice. I think it was a jungle level.

Smasher89

assuming it has the tracks in mk8 including the dlc, gba rainbow road, and it retaining the route for time attacks, meaning you basicly bounce through almost the entire level when played really well!

killroy87

Have any of them been brought back twice yet?

I feel like all the best ones have reappeared in some form or another, but I'd welcome them coming back again with a fresh coat of paint and some MK8 gravity mechanics thrown in.

Checker knights is the not-mk track I'd want the most.

That would

Actually be pretty rad. Can you imagine that underwater section in HD?

Only problem would be that its BGM was from the anime, although I suppose they could just switch it with The Legendary Air Ride Machine or something.

Berordn

That would

Actually be pretty rad. Can you imagine that underwater section in HD?

Only problem would be that its BGM was from the anime, although I suppose they could just switch it with The Legendary Air Ride Machine or something.

I don't think they have any issues with anime licensing, the whole thing was handled by HAL so they should have rights to it.

Lebon14

DK Jungle Parkway N64
Mario Raceway N64
Bowser's Castle N64

Add Wario Stadium and Choco Mountain to that list.

And add another vote for Warrior Colloseum and DK Summit.

Also like to see:

Dino Dino Jungle, DK Mountain, Daisy Cruiser (GCN)
Mushroom Gorge, Koopa Cape and Toad's Factory (Wii)
Delfino Square, Shrom Ridge, AIr Fortress (DS)
Wuhu Loop, Shy Guy Bazaar, Rock Rock Mountain and Maka Wuhu (3DS)

I would also LOVE to see Arcade tracks ported over to consoles.

Roo

Have any of them been brought back twice yet?

I feel like all the best ones have reappeared in some form or another, but I'd welcome them coming back again with a fresh coat of paint and some MK8 gravity mechanics thrown in.

Both GCN Yoshi Circuit and Baby Park first appeared as retro tracks in Mario Kart DS and SNES Rainbow Road was a retro track in Mario Kart 7 too.

All 3 reappeared as DLC retro tracks in MK8 so yeah, there's precedent they're using old retro tracks again.

As for the best ones being already used, tho I agree to some extent, there are still too many good tracks left to choose from.

As you can see, except for N64, all the Special Cups from all the games have been heavily underrated for some reason.

WG7DacS.jpg

That's why I feel confident we'll see at least one Bowser's Castle as a retro track.

J@hranimo

Banned
I don't understand how this track hasn't come back in any future Mario Kart games. It would be great for Mario Kart 8, especially with some zero-G segments.

I'd also like to throw in my vote for Vanilla Lake 2 from Super Mario Kart.

Really, I was a little upset when DS Wario Stadium got in instead of Wario Colosseum in MK8.

I don't think they have any issues with anime licensing, the whole thing was handled by HAL so they should have rights to it.

The composition copyright is listed in Brawl as belonging to Akira Miyagawa (the show's composer). I can't imagine what exactly went on but my guess is that as it was cut in Smash 4 they didn't want to jump through the same hoops to nab it again (granted, that game had far more going on in it than MK8, but still).

Regardless, I want to be proven wrong and now absolutely need this idea to become reality lol

Top Bottom