• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which SFV newcomer do you think will stand the test of time?

FANG is by far the least popular, it's not even close.

He's been dead last on the official usage charts since they started posting them.

kikiribu

All of them. Love their designs, and each one feels completely unique in their move set and personality.

Hated the newcomers in SF4 (Juri and Viper aside), love them in SF5.

Rymuth

Rashid's quickly becoming the face of SFV.

I mean, the crowd was chanting 'Raaaaaaashiidoooooo'

You want that kind recognition.

FANG got quite a bit of hate when he was first announced as well. I can already see a lot of people turning around on Abigail.
People need to see light with Abigail
G6LckH5.gif

Let him in

Rashid, especially if he would end up having a different default costume. Way too silly/stereotyped.
Nooo, I'm Arab but I love his default. It's so silly it's good, and I haven't seen anyone have an issue with it personally.

Anyway I think him and Laura are probably the only ones coming back, though I'd love if FANG did as well.

Gren

He's been dead last on the official usage charts since they started posting them.

While I can't say where he stands without another popularity poll, I don't think usage is the end all, be all.

Can't imagine many people enjoyed losing as Q, yet look where he is now.

TheYanger

Her SF3 costume and design is in the game as premium dlc.

I know that, but that's still not the same thing as her basic design being boring as fuck and not being present in any other game. Nor the notion that somehow she's not a 'new' character when literally she shows up as a throwaway that most people wouldn't even realize is supposed o be someone if they weren't told she was the same character.

TheOGB

Banned
Rash Bandicoot must live on, for he is pure

Laura and Necalli may get some crossover/cross-promotional shine in other games or products (maybe even F.A.N.G. or Kolin), but I imagine the rest will probably be left behind or relegated to obligated future SF appearances (Ed with his Neo Shadaloo group).

If they make an CvS3 they should put Abigail in

edit: If the next character this season is an Egyptian girl that's supposedly Rose's student I hope she also stays relevant forever

Qvoth

necalli is the face of sf5 (sadly), he'll definitely return in future iterations
design wise fang is the best out of all the new sf5 characters imo

Rashid is the only one who really stands any chance of this, mainly because of his novel (by SF standards) background. But after the way more successful SF4's complete lack of lasting impact, I'd be surprised if any of these SF5 newcomers do any better.

PSqueak

Banned
Rashid for sure.

But i have high hopes for Ed, let's keep the bison clone train going, choo choo!

No, seriously, we are approaching the point where you could match the entire roster of SF2 with just bison and his clones.

kikiribu

Story mode turned people around on him, maybe? Personally loved him the moment I saw him though lol.
He did steal the story for me so you're probably right. He's also way more evil than I thought he'd be. I think he's the only one that actually
murdered someone for fun
in the story, iirc?

•New and interesting mechanic (for SF, anyway)
•Zoner
•Unique design
•Cheesy, obnoxious voice clips (TAKE DA POISON)

He ticks several boxes for me, so... yeah, I've enjoyed this guy since he was announced.
I agree with all those points and I'll also add that he always reminds me of the Kung Fu Hustle assassins.

Of those, I see them getting the most mileage out of Laura and Rashid. They're cool and fun designs. Fang seems fine, but he looks like he belongs more in Dragon Ball than Street Fighter.

Newk86

I don't know about test of time but my favourite is Kolin. The only one I really dislike is Necalli. Laura I think could be improved with an extra super move because it just feels like I'm seeing the same move over and over. Not a fan of Rashid's default costume but otherwise solid.

Baleoce

Rashid is the best character the franchise has put out in a long time. It also helps that he's fun as hell to play.

Skronk

Banned
Half expecting this to be the last SF game. Capcom have lost it.

They should just do casual crossover games from now on.

MrCarter

All of them so far. They've all been great additions to the series in my opinion. Rashid and Laura are two of my favorite characters in the entire series. Necalli is probably the least interesting newcomer, in my opinion, but even he's very iconic and popular.

Definitely. I think all of the designs and playstyles are pretty unique and Capcom have done a great job in bringing out their individuality. Rashid, Laura, Necalli and Ed have a chance of being in the next SF.

Demoli

Just like Juri in SF4, Rashid is by far the stand out in SF5, no one else comes close.

After that it's Laura and thats really it for good designs.

Absolutely trash tier with un redeemable qualities are Abigail and FANG.

Reani

Kolin is too important for the story to be thrown away.
Rashid is new face of street fighter

everyone else is pretty much disposable

Rashid is a winner, Laura is alright, Kolin has potential if they give her a more interesting design. The rest I hope to never see again, especially fucking Necalli.

Only two characters who AREN'T winners for me personally, are Laura and Necalli.

The rest have interesting enough designs, personalities and movelists that I can definitely see them coming back in future games to the welcoming arms of fans.

The fact that he is a zoner + he has trash damage + has a playstyle that requires patience also has a lot to do with it.

Scotia

Banned
Rashid, Laura, FANG, Kolin and Ed I think all have very good chances in future SF games. Necalli, however, I don't think we'll ever see again. He's served his purpose in the series and his portrayal in the story mode made him look like the biggest jobber. As for Abigail, I like him, but I think he's a one-off character. I wouldn't be shocked if he ever comes back again but I personally don't expect it.

I think Necalli have cool design, but his story is bad and he don't even have personality.

On the other hand, I'm not too fond of Rashid's costume design, but his personality is fun and likable. Give him some better outfit and he'll be up there with other iconic characters

Top Bottom