• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which version of Final Fantasy 3 is best? NES, 3DS or Pixel Remaster?

Which version of Final Fantasy 3 is best

• NES

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • DS version

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Pixel Remaster

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • The Crystal Tower Raid series in FF14

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I played FF3 when it came out on DS, and I hated it. Didn't like the visual style, and the writing was weak. I didn't think the injection of named characters really added anything.

I'm watching a video of the pixel remaster and it seems pretty dope.

In 2023, is it the best version of FF3?

I didn't like the visual style of either 3DS remakes, but I just played through FF III Pixel Remaster on Switch and enjoyed it. It's more of an evolution of the first FF than FF II IMO, but I love the music and overall good improvements for the time. I'd recommend pixel remaster.

The Crystal Tower Raid series in FF14
Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

I had a similar question as I'm currently playing through it for the first time. I chose to go with the SNES version based on my research, and it personally felt right. So far I don't regret my decision.

Chastten

Banned
Not really a fan of the pixel remasters so I personally went for the DS remake, but yeah, personal preferences and all that.

I'm a big sucker for that simple style of 3D and I'm not big into pixelstyle games.

linko9

I like the NES version, but beware that if you're allergic to grinding this is not the game for you!

Meraxes

I've played both the NES and DS versions. I prefer the NES version. The pixel remaster looks good to me, and would probably be the way I'd play it again if I ever do though.

mopspear

Having played all of them, even the JP cart on an NES, I highly recommend the Pixel Remaster. It makes it so less tedious and more fun.

Vandole

I guess Pixel Remaster, but all the upgrades and cleaned up graphics are ultimately just lipstick on a pig. The game sucks and no tweaks are going to change that

alf717

I didn't like the visual style of either 3DS remakes, but I just played through FF III Pixel Remaster on Switch and enjoyed it. It's more of an evolution of the first FF than FF II IMO, but I love the music and overall good improvements for the time. I'd recommend pixel remaster.
I ran into a boat load of lag with the Switch version when using magic it drove me nuts. Pc version seem to be good though but lacks the new font and OG OST at the moment.

I ran into a boat load of lag with the Switch version when using magic it drove me nuts. Pc version seem to be good though but lacks the new font and OG OST at the moment.
The only kind of lag I found in pixel remaster was a sort of stutter. But for me it was super rare for any of them except for VI which it was fairly common but didn't bother me too much. Seemed exclusively moving around quickly on the overworld. Ridiculous that even happens anywhere though.

Teletraan1

Banned
I had the DS version ported to steam and I couldn't get into it. Really off putting artstyle. Got the pixel Remaster and really enjoyed the game. Hate the infantilization of games on nintendo consoles.

Top Bottom