• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School [Remake] (PS4/Steam) Review Thread

But the physical editions might come a bit later, I'm not sure the specifics. Like I found this one Canadian site which has a physical edition for the PS4 pre-order that includes the soundtrack but plans to be shipped by August 29th: https://www.videogamesplus.ca/white...re-order-bonus-ps4-free-shipping-p-24743.html
Thanks for the update. It's always worth repeating for anyone considering a purchase through VGP that you never input your credit card information into the website as it has tremendously poor security. Please stick exclusively to Paypal on the chance that you must buy something from there. Myself and plenty other users on GAF have experienced instances of unauthorized attempts on our accounts as a result. If it's too late, make certain to watch any transactions for the next couple of months and be prepared to take action if it becomes compromised.

I remember one of my favorite aspects of the original game was how it refused to give the player a feeling of security. The most novel example of that is how it takes note reading, a standard in the genre that often signifies a moment of reprieve or safety, and chooses to subvert that conditioned security through audio cues and actually summoning danger unique to the story in the note.

I've grown to be pretty critical of the kinds of horror games that do a poor job of masking or blending their mechanical triggers (i.e. Outlast and how it strips control away from you in order to deliver a jump scare). A bad game can dull the tension and make things predictable, as if you're seeing the wires being pulled behind the scenes. My time spent with the original White Day showed me how nerve-racking a horror game can be when it goes the extra mile to surprise and keep players "in the dark" so to speak. So yeah, really looking forward to playing this remake and seeing more people get to experience it!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There's suppose to be a PSVR game of White Day: Swan Song too, but its MIA

BTA

I'm excited for this but I have no idea when I'll be with friends to play it with them; there's no way I'm playing horror like this alone, hah.

In any case, rad to see it coming out.

hampig

I've been waiting to play this game for years. Tried unsuccessfully to get the original to play on my computer maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Really looking forward to this!

So I ordered this off Amazon for the 20% off but it says the release date is September 28th. Does anybody know why it says this? If the physical version doesn't come out till then then I'd rather just buy it off of PSN; I'm only saving a few dollars anyway.

Luminaire

So I ordered this off Amazon for the 20% off but it says the release date is September 28th. Does anybody know why it says this? If the physical version doesn't come out till then then I'd rather just buy it off of PSN; I'm only saving a few dollars anyway.

I too would like to know this as I'm in so hard for this game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Was really intrigued by this until I realised it wasn't anything like Project Zero.
I'm sure its good but I'm burnt-out on FPSHorrors at the moment.

Orb

Uh why does my amazon order say it releases the 28th of september? It used to say 29th of August.

Im getting real antsy because i reloaded my balance for the game and cant just buy it somewhere else

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Orb

I'm not sure, but it might be the physical version of the game was delayed. Because this is a smaller release it might've been placed behind other bigger releases printing copies to be made. It should release digitally at the same time, but it's looking in America the physical copies might be delayed, but don't know yet fully but good to assume so I think with the current information (the game is being published by different publishers in America/Europe/Asia, so why I mention region-specific things).
Ugh, looks like im not gonna be able to get it release day then, because literally no other place is giving me the option to buy it, even digitally. Really pissing me off, what a fuckin mess of a release.

Jacqli

Pre-ordered. Mine still says 25th of August as release date (I will receive it the following week most likely, I am not a prime user), although I am from Europe.

Dark Zero - 6/10

Not bad, since the game is an old-school horror game from 2001 remade and has some old-school elements (IE, it has inventory management and limited saving for example with some adventure game elements), I suspect to see some more people call parts of it archaic because it has stuff from horror games of yesteryear in it.

This review makes little sense given the design of White Day and its intended audience. The first half of the review basically just explains what the game is and its features, with only the second half bitching about old game design. I don't think this author realises this game came out 15 years ago and this remake is intended to re-capture a 15 year old game, thusly it will try to keep its same design from back then. On paper, this game is a love letter to fans of classic survival horror ala Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 1 - 3, and that's what this game intends to be. This author is trying to implement modern game design in a 15 year old game and then complains that the game isn't as convenient and spoon-feeding as other modern horror games.

He talks about running from the janitor becomes repetitive/annoying because of the locked doors and sound effects, well, why doesn't he explore the area(s) he's in beforehand to know which ones are locked or not? Oh wait, that requires actual effort on the player's part to use their brain to memorise details. It sounds to me like he wants the game to have map markers, arrows and a voice telling him exactly what to do and where to go.

"The big problem is how the game’s level design actively hinders the player, and not in a fun or interesting way. Anyone who has played classic horror games like Silent Hill and the first three Resident Evil entries should be intimately aware of locked doors…. or rather, doors that are permanently locked and serve as window dressing"

This really doesn't make sense, is he expecting every door to be operable and explorable? Are schools not allowed to have their doors locked at nighttime now? lol

"Speaking of which, White Day adheres much to the classic era of 3D horror games, including a limited inventory that extends to both healing items and even save points. Yes, the game requires the use of a felt-tip pen to save progress, though the game does checkpoint with auto saves too. Said saves only happen when advancing the main story, however, so expect to lose a good chuck of progress should you find yourself on the receiving end of the janitor’s bat while tirelessly exploring all the identical hallways to find the right item to solve the latest puzzle. Once again, the game owes much inspiration to the classic PSX era of horror games, from dissecting journal entries for hints on the latest puzzle to micromanaging items for emergency use only.

A few modern additions make up the remake as well; there are multiple endings that can be achieved through decisions made through branching dialog, as well as multiple difficulty options that drastically alter the game: the easier difficulties add handy conveniences like an onscreen indicator when the janitor is nearby and hints on where to go next, while the harder modes offer up some truly masochistic handicaps such as no saving, smarter enemies and even a time limit. The variety of gameplay spread across these modes is unique and potentially opens multiple playthroughs, but it would have been nice to have a moderate difficulty option that felt slightly more forgiving and much less archaic than what the main game serves."

The entire first paragraph is just an explanation of the game's mechanics and design and doesn't go into detail about how any of that is bad or unfun? I really don't get it.

As for the second paragraph, the part I bolded just confirms my thoughts that he's crying over the lack of "GO HERE AND DO THIS" plastered over the screen. He calls the game design archaic but doesn't explain how, I guess 'archaic' is just a popular word to throw around now? Or is this guy trying to tell us locked doors in games are now archaic?

Also, get this, in the same paragraph he says:
"the easier difficulties add handy conveniences like an onscreen indicator when the janitor is nearby and hints on where to go next"
and then says:
"it would have been nice to have a moderate difficulty option that felt slightly more forgiving and much less archaic than what the main game serves"
which is a direct contradiction. Surely the easier difficulties having help markers makes the game more forgiving?

It just blows my mind that almost all the negative points he brings up is in fact intentional and the entire point to the remake. It's a remake of a 15 year old game, not a modern game or sequel, did he expect this to be a reboot instead?

Jacqli

My preorder was also delayed to the 30th of September. Depending on how much it costs on Steam or the key, I might wait or not.

Wanderer5

Oh this game. I already had the mobile version for a cheap price, but it doesn't want to finish downloading in-app for some reason nowdays.:/

Dusk Golem

Kind of disappointing reviews but I suppose it's expected with the remake being so faithful to the mechanics of the original.

I'm still excited to play it but this really just makes me anticipate White Day 2 more.

Linkura

Wasn't this supposed to be out the 22nd in the States? I can't find it on the store.

For PSN? Delayed till next week, no real reason given.

The PS4 release in particular has been a massive clusterfuck.

Edit: FYI, the PushSquare review has a massive spoiler in the beginning of the fucking article. Be warned.

For PSN? Delayed till next week, no real reason given.

The PS4 release in particular has been a massive clusterfuck.

Edit: FYI, the PushSquare review has a massive spoiler in the beginning of the fucking article. Be warned.

Delayed again? Wasn't this suppose to come out in the beginning of the month initially as well?

Top Bottom