• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who still buys GTA V?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Every month, for almost 10 years, I've been seeing this game in the top 20, top 10, or even top 5 best-sellers. My question is, who still buys GTA V? Back when it was first released, virtually everyone I knew who game bought it. Some people still bought it years down the line but now at 180M+, it's still selling like a AAA new release but who is still buying GTA V?

Is there something idiots like me aren't aware of? The end of the world is coming and each copy of GTA V you own is a ticket to heaven? Do you personally know anyone who has bought GTA V in the past year? Did you? (I will hunt you down and kill you if you did).

I simply don't get it.

It also plays like shit, but don't tell them that.

Guilty_AI

These guys:

DCEWcC-UAAAw9My.jpg
This+todd+howard+guy+throws+some+wild+parties+right+better+_ca397b96dbbde71da12f6e0acaeb43a0.png
ba0.jpg

Thirty7ven

Banned
Wow imagine sparing a few moments to realize time moves on, kids grow up, new people start gaming, and GTA online is absolutely massive

But nah couldn’t be so simple.

Dr_Ifto

Not sure if it still applies but buying the game with the bundled shark card is/was cheaper than just buying the shark card on its own.
GTA 5 Premium Edition + Megaladon Shark Card: 35.99 - Normally 89.99

GTA Megaladon Shark Card: 99.99

This is one of the reasons

Haha that's hilarious. I'd say that has to be the main reason because shark cards like FIFA points etc sell ungodly amounts.

Obviously with people aging it would sell like mad either way but this definitely gets them a lot of sales.

I wonder what's the motivation on Rockstars part to bundle it like that.....

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I don't know whatever game you are rooting for so that you are jealous of GTA V's success, the game sold 180 million copy and is still relevant after all these year speaks of its quality. People like to down play the game by claiming its success to ports across multiple generation, first there are tons of triple A games porting across multiple generations why aren't they selling 180 million, second the fact that it still appeal to new audience says something about how good it ages.

There are also many other claim either have absolutely no proof at all, or that assumption could basically apply to any game which isn't nearly as successful as GTA V

Game isn't even my cup of tea, but I could still acknowledge its success.

Last edited:

GustavoLT

Played on 360 - ps4 - ps5 - PC... would play again if there was an official Enhanced PC version (not those buggy mods)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Every single day some 9 year old turns 10 and pleads with their parents to finally let them buy GTA. I think.

Bond007

How many copies do you own? Do you just decide you want a new account and buy one? What is the motivation to buy multiple copies since day 1?
LMAO, i misread. That being said, my two teenage boys each have PS5s with a copy of GTA. We also each had copies on PS4.
So we had many opportunities to buy multiple copies across the generations.

GTAV has been released across multiple generations. It came out for the PS3, PS4, and PS5.

It makes sense that fans of the game would buy iterations on multiple systems if the new iterations were worth owning.

It's also been heavily discounted on PC for a number of years.

digdug2

I have bought 3 copies over the past decade. Day one purchase on PS3, then the PS4 upgrade, and most recently the PS5 upgrade.

Three

Obviously with people aging it would sell like mad either way but this definitely gets them a lot of sales.

The only motivation I can think of if it's intentional is that it prevents GTA5 becoming F2P and all the negative perceptions of it and the whale buying those cards is likely to give the game to a friend as a gift and entice them to play too.

Spending $35 on GTA money isn't what most people would do anyway I'd imagine so I'm not sure how much that is contributing. There is also the free $1000000 every month for PS+ subscribers instead of buying the cards.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I don't know whatever game you are rooting for so that you are jealous of GTA V's success, the game sold 180 million copy and is still relevant after all these year speaks of its quality. People like to down play the game by claiming its success to ports across multiple generation, first there are tons of triple A games porting across multiple generations why aren't they selling 180 million, second the fact that it still appeal to new audience says something about how good it ages.

There are also many other claim either have absolutely no proof at all, or that assumption could basically apply to any game which isn't nearly as successful as GTA V

Game isn't even my cup of tea, but I could still acknowledge its success.
What do you mean "acknowledge"? I state in the OP that it sold 180M. I even bought the game twice myself. Once upon release, and another time for the enhanced PC version. I beat the game and played a fair bit of online.

Still, there has to be a point of saturation somewhere. 180M is absolutely mind-boggling. It sold far more than the best-selling consoles and is still going. There are what, 140M active monthly users on Steam? There comes a point where I'm just wondering where are all these customers hiding? You'd think after 100M+ copies, everyone who wanted to buy the game had bought it but it'll probably reach 200M. It makes even the biggest AAA blockbusters look like some indie trash on Steam in terms of sales.

It is the cheapest way to get shark cards I believe so people are constantly buying the game over and over.

I heard about that one too and am wondering if it's a minor reason, a major one, or the main one.

Last edited:

Gaiff

People

I dont think dogs,cats, parrots and those kinda animals buying it?
Or am i wrong?
If you told me you saw a dog buy GTA V, I'd believe you.

There will eventually be more sold copies of GTA V than there are humans on Earth.

DavidGzz

Time passes, kids are born, kids get to an age where their parents are ok with them buying it. The same reason Roblox has an audience and Minecraft keeps selling.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Every month, for almost 10 years, I've been seeing this game in the top 20, top 10, or even top 5 best-sellers. My question is, who still buys GTA V? Back when it was first released, virtually everyone I knew who game bought it. Some people still bought it years down the line but now at 180M+, it's still selling like a AAA new release but who is still buying GTA V?

Is there something idiots like me aren't aware of? The end of the world is coming and each copy of GTA V you own is a ticket to heaven? Do you personally know anyone who has bought GTA V in the past year? Did you? (I will hunt you down and kill you if you did).

I simply don't get it.

It also plays like shit, but don't tell them that.

From the other thread:

Just a reminder 180Million of copys are not 180 Million Players. When I was playing Gta Online, everyone bought Gta Premium edition because it was the cheapest way to get Shark Cards.

Many had bought it more than 20+ times. So they bought 20+ times Gta 5 because of shark cards.

But I have also bought it several times. Ps3, Ps4, Pc 3-4, Xbox

Last edited:

Hip Hop

Haha that's hilarious. I'd say that has to be the main reason because shark cards like FIFA points etc sell ungodly amounts.

Like the music industry used to bundle the music with concert tickets, and it would be cheaper than buying separate,, so fans would gobble up the bundles, also counting towards the music charts. So they would use that bundle tactic to show up on the charts every week.

I think Take Two is doing the same. They have been looking pretty for years on the charts, it has to because of that bundle and it has to be planned out.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
My son had it on the PS4.

He bought a Series S last year and just bought it again to play online with his mates.

I might buy it again for the PS5.

calistan

I guess 35.99 is the 'real' price of the shark cards, claiming it's discounted from 89.99 makes people think they've found a great deal, and adding in a code for a copy of the game, even if it's never activated, is good for Take 2's bottom line. This has kind of rendered all this 'best selling game of all time' stuff meaningless.

I guess 35.99 is the 'real' price of the shark cards, claiming it's discounted from 89.99 makes people think they've found a great deal, and adding in a code for a copy of the game, even if it's never activated, is good for Take 2's bottom line. This has kind of rendered all this 'best selling game of all time' stuff meaningless.

To be fair it doesn't really matter. Past a certain point successful is successful and GTA is very much that.

Bundles also inflate game sales massively. Especially this gen where the shortage meant a bundled console was guaranteed to sell regardless of what game came in it.

The Stig

ill admit Ive bought it twice. PS3 + PC

though they were nice and let me import my online character which was nice.

great game, online is awesome but shark cards fucked up the economy so it was really hard to buy anything cool without using shark cards or grinding all day long.

Neilg

Do you wonder? it's a pretty clear-cut strategy. it's stayed in the top 10 since it was released as a result. Nothing about that is by accident, they came up with this idea the day they came up with the idea of shark cards.

calistan

To be fair it doesn't really matter. Past a certain point successful is successful and GTA is very much that.

Bundles also inflate game sales massively. Especially this gen where the shortage meant a bundled console was guaranteed to sell regardless of what game came in it.
I agree, it's not hugely important. But I always quite liked sales charts with cumulative lifetime stats. Like, Animal Crossing shifted how many during lockdown? You'd always have GTA V looming over them all, outselling everything year after year, but learning it's because they're giving away game codes with shark cards, that seems like cooking the books.

(I have three copies - full price on Xbox 360, hugely discounted on Xbox One, free from the Epic store on PC)

Top Bottom