• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who still buys GTA V?

Filldo

What do you mean "acknowledge"? I state in the OP that it sold 180M. I even bought the game twice myself. Once upon release, and another time for the enhanced PC version. I beat the game and played a fair bit of online.

Still, there has to be a point of saturation somewhere. 180M is absolutely mind-boggling. It sold far more than the best-selling consoles and is still going. There are what, 140M active monthly users on Steam? There comes a point where I'm just wondering where are all these customers hiding? You'd think after 100M+ copies, everyone who wanted to buy the game had bought it but it'll probably reach 200M. It makes even the biggest AAA blockbusters look like some indie trash on Steam in terms of sales.

I heard about that one too and am wondering if it's a minor reason, a major one, or the main one.
How many ps3s, xbox360s, ps4s, xboxones, series s,x, PCs and PS5s exist though? I’ve bought for PS3, 4 and 5 and got a free PC version. Day one player who still plays pretty regularly. It’s my go to game when I don’t feel like playing anything else. Just like driving around doing random stuff online. For everyone who shits on gaas, GTA online does it well.

The game is almost 10 years old.

My little cousins were only 9 months and 3 years old when the game came out. One of them still isn't allowed to play it because his mum thinks he's too young. That's her decision of course but I was playing GTA games since I was 9.

It's been out that long that it's reaching a whole new generation.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Every month, for almost 10 years, I've been seeing this game in the top 20, top 10, or even top 5 best-sellers. My question is, who still buys GTA V? Back when it was first released, virtually everyone I knew who game bought it. Some people still bought it years down the line but now at 180M+, it's still selling like a AAA new release but who is still buying GTA V?

Is there something idiots like me aren't aware of? The end of the world is coming and each copy of GTA V you own is a ticket to heaven? Do you personally know anyone who has bought GTA V in the past year? Did you? (I will hunt you down and kill you if you did).

I simply don't get it.

It also plays like shit, but don't tell them that.
It is me, I bought it this winter for series X.

I only bought the PS3/PS4 versions. Got the PC version for free from Epic. I don't give a shit about this game anymore especially about GTA online.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Shark cards are DLC so I guess they are calculated in the sales numbers. It's in the top 20 from people paying for in-game currency. They aren't buying the game.

Last edited:

fermcr

The only people purchasing GTA 5 are cheaters. The were caught cheating, got banned ... are now purchasing a new copy. 🤔

Last edited:
People who buy it for the single player campaign which is excellent. Don't touch the mess that is GTA: Online, especially with those missile bikes.

The absolutely insane popularity of this game baffles me every single time I see it on yet another chart. Shit is crazy, especially as someone who doesn't get the appeal of these games whatsoever.

Yep, came to say exactly this, kids getting old enough to play/purchase it. There's nothing else like it on the market since people stopped attempting to make GTA clones well over a decade ago.
It is really disappointing that no other publisher was ever able to really compete with Rockstar games and GTA during the 7th and 8th generation consoles. At this point, nobody ever will, as no publisher would give a studio 500+ million to make such a game on their own. Way too risky. It is absurd that the best open world game set in contemporary society is still GTA V, which came out almost a decade ago.

Reactions: GHG

EDMIX

go to go game for casual audience
high quality
solid online
competition almost non existant
insane reputation
available everywhere

This.

People like to bash GTA, but this game is literally second to none, its not like we just have tons of games doing this concept well, we've seen so many fail at this, clearly Rockstar must have did something correct to have this wild level of success.

If copying GTA is so fucking easy folks, where the fuck are the titles matching them feature by feature that are better? To be many generations removed and still have the most solid game is a testament to how well made this game is. They are at the very top, no matter how much shit talking someone wants to do about nitpicking feature by feature, who the fuck is doing the whole thing BETTER? 100% feature by feature actually beating them? So they wrote the blueprint, its not some secret, but knowing all of those elements doesn't mean anyone can actually pull them off properly. GTA VI is going to be a megaton NOT just cause its a GTA, but because no open world since GTA V's release has been able to out do every single element, thus we all know the only place to get that GTA fix, is from the next GTA.

If what they did was so fucking easy folks, developers had a fucking decade to out do them. GTA VI is going to do gangbusters.

mortal

Gold Member
Yea, there's got to be people buying this game like 3, 4, or even 5 times across multiple platforms.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Humpback Whale Falling GIF by Oceana

Darchaos

I buy a new copy every 5th or so year. Lets face it, the first copy couldnt handl even 1080 very good, then 5 years later i upgraded to the 1440p version and now im up to the 4k version. In 5 years im ready to buy the 8k version, easy as that.

Yes im drunk and yes im gonna go home now.

Top Bottom