• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHO to classify aspartame as 'possibly carcinogenic'

BlackTron

Just stick to water people. Your body will thank you.

I'm about 50% water, 40% water lightly sweetened with 4C green tea (which is just powdered green tea and real sugar) and 10% other, mostly canned ginger ales lol.

Moderation in everything. I think it's extreme to drink nothing but pure water.

YCoCg

CGNoire

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I wonder how many of the posters responding to this thread are replying from their cell phones (also in the same carcinogenic category as Aspartame per the WHO).
I don't eat Phones
nSTQsWi.png

YuLY

Well shit. I found out I am pre-diabetic last year so i have been drinking Coke Zero and Diet Pepsi like 3 times a week since last year.

Am I already dead?
I had diabetes due to being overweight. Lost the weight and reversed it, now I eat/drink normally. But one permanent change that I did was to only drink Zero 7UP or Zero Coca-Cola, its fine, I prefer aspartame than literal sugar with water, once you get used to the Zero version you dont crave the sugary ones anymore and in the long run its healthier, especially if you drink a lot.

I mean, would it be ideal if we only drank water? sure, but fuck man...its one of the few vices that I have, I dont smoke, I dont drink alchohol, ofc no drugs....I just eat bad stuff and drink sodas (diet ones now)...if theres a small risk there what can you do, you need to make this life livable with something...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I had diabetes due to being overweight. Lost the weight and reversed it, now I eat/drink normally. But one permanent change that I did was to only drink Zero 7UP or Zero Coca-Cola, its fine, I prefer aspartame than literal sugar with water, once you get used to the Zero version you dont crave the sugary ones anymore and in the long run its healthier, especially if you drink a lot.

I mean, would it be ideal if we only drank water? sure, but fuck man...its one of the few vices that I have, I dont smoke, I dont drink alchohol, ofc no drugs....I just eat bad stuff and drink sodas (diet ones now)...if theres a small risk there what can you do, you need to make this life livable with something...
Many diet and zero pops are just as good as the regular ones.

I find Coke Zero, Pepsi Max, Diet Dr Pepper and even hard to find Diet Crush Cream Soda really good. Fresca is great too.

I'm not saying diet pops are healthy, but hey at least someone saves 150 calories per can.

Last edited:

YuLY

I'm not saying diet pops are healthy, but hey at least someone saves 150 calories per can.
Yea its not like they are healthier than water, but it sure beats the sugary ones. That amount of sugar for sure is a higher health risk than aspartame, even if it just leads to overweight and that itself leads to other issues.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

yep. switched to coke zero and diet pepsi last year and now i honestly cant tell the difference. Zero Pepsi does have that after taste so i just stick with diet pepsi.

And yeah, i dont drink or smoke, but my wife has already banned this shit from home so i only drink this stuff when i get food from outside. I am hoping she doesnt find out about this new development.

LordOfChaos

How tf are Aloe Vera and Diesel in the same tier, just further tells you that this is no kind of risk assessment and just one galactically large brush. I do think intuition goes a fairly long way here, how does aloe vera make you feel vs bleeding a furnace, I try to wear gloves and not contact that shit because it smells like cancer.

I bet there's going to be more comeuppance about microplastics as well, eating 5 grams of microplastics every week whether you know it or not, in the water, in everything, you can't avoid it.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
How tf are Aloe Vera and Diesel in the same tier, just further tells you that this is no kind of risk assessment and just one galactically large brush. I do think intuition goes a fairly long way here, how does aloe vera make you feel vs bleeding a furnace, I try to wear gloves and not contact that shit because it smells like cancer.

I bet there's going to be more comeuppance about microplastics as well, eating 5 grams of microplastics every week whether you know it or not, in the water, in everything, you can't avoid it.
From what I've heard, this report is basically the same as saying "there is a chance a meteor will smash into earth, wiping out humanity".

Yes, there is. But it's so fractionally small that ot doesn't matter functionally.

LordOfChaos

From what I've heard, this report is basically the same as saying "there is a chance a meteor will smash into earth, wiping out humanity".

Yes, there is. But it's so fractionally small that ot doesn't matter functionally.

Yeah, it's like California calling everything possibly cancer causing, which just makes the label lose all meaning and use

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Diet coke always makes me feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin and pass out at the same time. No scientific evidence, just personal experience. Give me ass loads of sugar over that any day.

HoodWinked

i dont drink diet sodas but there are so many studies with aspartame, i think the most of all artificial sweeteners and has been shown to be safe.

this seems like bureaucracy justifying its existence by giving it a new pet project.

Top Bottom