• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why a gay law professor is trying to shut down women-only ‘Wonder Woman’ screenings.

Nepenthe

Do women feel as entitled as white male nerds? On the Internet no less?

If there was like a special Men's Night showing for some testosterone-laden shit like a new Expendables movie in a single screening room in some specialty theater, I know I personally wouldn't give a fuck.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
A bunch of men throwing a hissy fit over a largely male-dominated genre (hell in a largely male-dominated world) just shows bad taste.

Man up, men. Brush the petty squabble about this aside and let women have a day, nay, a screening.

You get how this sets a really bad precedent though right? We all hate MRA's but even a broken clock.

If there was like a special Men's Night showing for some testosterone-laden shit like a new Expendables movie in a single screening room in some specialty theater, I know I personally wouldn't give a fuck.

Well just because you hate women and don't think they deserve the same opportunities as men doesn't make it right.

Mik2121

Do women feel as entitled as white male nerds? On the Internet no less?
He said it would be a shitstorm, he didn't say the people complaint would be women. I agree with him too and it's why I'm not a fan of straight negating access to a certain sex or race. It just leads to shitstorms and some side racism or sexism. Just do discounts and whatnot, otherwise create atmospheres welcoming those groups you target. (Again, not that I'm personally against this stuff, just think it's too much trouble so I'd probably never do it myself if I owned a business)

azyless

My god, it's one screening of a movie that will get hundreds. Let it go.
Also not sure what a man being gay has to do with any of this.

Lol no, one knows anything because the event hasn't happened yet. But you can certainly buy a ticket online if you're a guy since some people did. And no unassuming guy is going to show up and be rejected, because the tickets (sold online weeks in advance) were all sold out for the event an hour after it went up.

But the movie is already out right? Seems even more petty now because it's not like men are disbarred from opening night.

So anyone can buy a ticket online, including men? Does that mean men will be admitted? But that women are just encouraged? Because that language seems more acceptable than banning men outright, which I cant imagine is the language a theater would use, because it just seems unavoidable that it will run into trouble

But the movie is already out right? Seems even more petty now because it's not like men are disbarred from opening night.

So anyone can buy a ticket online, including men? Does that mean men will be admitted? But that women are just encouraged? Because that language seems more acceptable than banning men outright, which I cant imagine is the language a theater would use, because it just seems unavoidable that it will run into trouble

A man... an MRA moron even... bought a ticket and they said ok thanks for the donation and told him to enjoy the movie.

You can't buy tickets anymore and no one knows who will be admitted which is why all this is extra dumb. But to be honest I can't imagine they would turn anyone away considering it's an event for anyone who identifies as female and any kind of discrimination in attendance could be a huge mistake on their part.

Alienfan

It's discrimination, there is no dancing around that. Although I don't think that makes it a bad thing. It's essentially a safe space for women to gather and watch one of the few female superhero films (and the first good one), a genre and market that rarely caters to them - and when it has its often been pretty sexist. The "but what if it a white only screening" comments seem to be missing the point, we don't live in an equal society, having a screening reserved for a disenfranchised group isn't the same as an exclusive screening for a group that's been the dominant and oppressive power for centuries. Think of it like a game of Mario Kart, you don't bitch that you're not getting blue shells and boosts when you're already in first place. I understand people's issue with the theater making it enforceable instead of just implying a female only screening though. After this controversy dies down, I'm fully expecting the people that seem to be complaining about it (*cough* Colin Moriarty *cough*) to start commenting on legitimate discrimination...
they won't

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
“But when the theater responded to complaints, they were pretty snide about it and willing to mock anyone who had a complaint and that really struck me.”

Maybe because anyone who is upset about this is easily mockable?

diaspora

Well, isn't it illegal? I don't know the laws of Austin, but banning a gender in a public place sounds pretty illegal. Someone who knows law better than I can help me.

I think it's all stupid anyway, but whatever. It's not my theater.

Not really. AFAIK there are men only and women only events regularly and the Drafthouse already said men are allowed to have a men-only event if someone wants to book a space.

Oersted

If you had a male-only screening of a film, it would become a feminist issue.

Are feminists or male nerds louder on the internet? Hmmm good question. They'd both raise a storm.

Have you been to the internet during the last ten years?

Having witnessed the Sarkeesian outrage, Gamergate, MRAs, red pillers, puas and Ghostbusters, girls and women seem to be still centuries behind when it comes to being toxic waste.

Hell,its quite telling that Girls Night Out is having women only screenings all over the place and thats not even remotely as controversial.

Dice//

Banned
You get how this sets a really bad precedent though right? We all hate MRA's but even a broken clock.

In what way besides ""on princinple""? And what precedent? Last I can tell women are still treated pretty second class. How often does *any*part*of* this happen for women and for movies???
Seems the only person that IS getting hurt are the soft constitutions of MRA types and those who play an "equality card" without much reference to socio-historical context. Oh yeah and the fact it's a goddamn movie screening.

m0dus

Banned
This entire debate is idiotic. The draft lhouse isnt establishing a no men's policy moving forward. It's a fucking ladies night.

Alienous

“There was a vibrant argument happening on Facebook,” Clark, 48, told The Washington Post. “But when the theater responded to complaints, they were pretty snide about it and willing to mock anyone who had a complaint and that really struck me.”

That's what irked me about the whole thing. Their joy at ruffling feathers made it seem like that was their goal in that first place.

You can't buy tickets anymore and no one knows who will be admitted which is why all this is extra dumb. But to be honest I can't imagine they would turn anyone away considering it's an event for anyone who identifies as female and any kind of discrimination in attendance could be a huge mistake on their part.

Well in that case, I bet a lot of extra men show up just to make a point, and the whole thing is ruined as far as a Women's screening goes.

This. They're not preventing men from going there, they're having a women only event.

I'm pretty sure they could technically host it as a private event and then allow or disallow anyone they wanted to, just like anyone else could, but I'm just an armchair movie theater owner/legal expert so...well actually that means I must be right.

Well in that case, I bet a lot of extra men show up just to make a point, and the whole thing is ruined as far as a Women's screening goes.

This is such a strange, strange way to put it. The only people super concerned about men being at this showing seem to be men. And if a bunch of men did show up (they probably won't because they have to spend money and it goes to Planned Parenthood) and did anything other than watch the movie in silence, Alamo would kick them out because you can't be a dick there.

Like this whole thing is just super bizarre.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Fragile male egos making the rest of us look terrible.

Way too many people are WAY too quick to cry "This is discrimination!"...

Falsely equating racism and other social injustices to... this. Fuck outta here!!

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Not really. AFAIK there are men only and women only events regularly and the Drafthouse already said men are allowed to have a men-only event if someone wants to book a space.

Pretty confident this is illegal under the Civil Rights Act of 1964

(a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

(b) Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this title if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:
(3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and

I know lolol mras lolol, but the Civil Rights Act is pretty important, and altering it can have unexpected consequences. It certainly shouldn't be laughed off as obvious or trivial.

diaspora

I know lolol mras lolol, but the Civil Rights Act is pretty important, and altering it can have unexpected consequences. It certainly shouldn't be laughed off as obvious or trivial.
Pretty confident you're wrong. Theaters like bars or any other establishment are allowed to have a women's event.

without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Nepenthe

That's what irked me about the whole thing. Their joy at ruffling feathers made it seem like that was their goal in that first place.

Their goal was to have a women-exclusive screening in one room and to use the money to donate to Planned Parenthood. Men got their knickers in a twist about it because they weren't invited to the party.

I don't blame them for going in.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Having witnessed the Sarkeesian outrage, Gamergate, MRAs, red pillers, puas and Ghostbusters, girls and women seem to be still centuries behind when it comes to being toxic waste.

Hell,its quite telling that Girls Night Out is having women only screenings all over the place and thats not even remotely as controversial.
I'm not saying the feminist response would be "toxic", but pretty loud, yes.

People would scream at each other on twitter and Jezebel would write articles. But nothing like the trolling rage of gamergate.

Then again I didn't think we were even close to Ghostbusters levels of male outrage towards this WW screening, but what do I know.

I wonder if the people complaining about this know that they're playing right into Alamo's hand. They knew exactly what they were doing with this.

And hell I applaud their hustle. Free marketing off angry sexists is the best.

Does it really matter much if annoying privileged pricks like this guy was part of their motivations if women still get their enjoyable ladies night out?

Ponn

Banned
This entire debate is idiotic. The draft lhouse isnt establishing a no men's policy moving forward. It's a fucking ladies night.

You don't get it, what about the PRECEDENT!! Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

Ogodei

I think he's going at it from the wrong angle, but could see an argument as to why Alamo's decision hurts intersectionality. Alamo wants to create a safe space for women to celebrate a feminist icon, but safe spaces shouldn't be zones of exclusion, it's just that outsiders entering such spaces need to understand the intent of the space and respect it (like not hanging around in the hallway outside of an AA meeting with a bottle of beer in one hand having a grand old time).

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
In what way besides ""on princinple""? How often does *any*part*of* this happen for women and for movies???
Last I checked the only person that IS getting hurt are the soft constitutions of MRA types.

If you're saying that disagreeing with something out of principle is wrong, or that this instance of discrimination is o.k because it won't happen that often, that's a bad argument.

And implying that anyone who disagrees with you is an MRA is low.

cheezcake

Look dude. I get that by the letter of the law it may be discrimination. What's a fucking joke is that the people who are getting this upset over the tiniest bit of discrimination imaginable, are the same people who reap the benefits of discrimination against minorities day-in-day-out and do not give a single fuck about that.

So yeh this isn't a hill I think is worth dying on.

diaspora

Look dude. I get that by the letter of the law it may be discrimination. What's a fucking joke is that the people who are getting this upset over the tiniest bit of discrimination imaginable, are the same people who reap the benefits of discrimination against minorities day-in-day-out and do not give a single fuck about that.

So yeh this isn't a hill I think is worth dying on.

it isn't

I think he's going at it from the wrong angle, but could see an argument as to why Alamo's decision hurts intersectionality. Alamo wants to create a safe space for women to celebrate a feminist icon, but safe spaces shouldn't be zones of exclusion, it's just that outsiders entering such spaces need to understand the intent of the space and respect it (like not hanging around in the hallway outside of an AA meeting with a bottle of beer in one hand having a grand old time).

The left is eating itself! This is why Trump won!

Alienous

What is constructive about the raging response from men they got just by announcing the event?

It isn't either. But them choosing to respond with mockery, rather than debate or no response at all, seems like it was intended to annoy. And that just results in more hostility.

I don't think it's helpful. It doesn't need to be but I'm just saying I didn't care for it.

It isn't either. But them choosing to respond with mockery, rather than debate or no response at all, seems like it was intended to annoy. And that just results in more hostility.

This isn't an issue that merits debate or response. It's not a debate! It's an event! Why do people like this always demand the right to have everything be a debate while they flop around like sealions?

Top Bottom