• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why a gay law professor is trying to shut down women-only ‘Wonder Woman’ screenings.

Quixzlizx

If it were some movie like The Notebook, nobody would care.

It's men who are bitter that their "sanctuary" hobby isn't pandering solely to them.

Alienous

This isn't an issue that merits debate or response. It's not a debate! It's an event! Why do people like this always demand the right to have everything be a debate while they flop around like sealions?

That's what I'm saying. But it wasn't met with no response, it was met with derision, which I think instigates further hostility.

That's what I'm saying. But it wasn't met with no response, it was met with derision, which I think instigates further hostility.

Okay I just want to make sure that you realize the implication here is that a women's only event (and by extension women) have to be nice to men who approach them with hostility lest they invite further hostility, rather than just tell them to buzz off.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If it were some movie like The Notebook, nobody would care.

It's men who are bitter that their "sanctuary" hobby isn't pandering solely to them.
This would be a correct response to "why are superhero movies trying to appeal to women?".

But in terms of an actual women's only screening... eh... I think that riles up people's ideas about fairness and equality and exclusion that have nothing to do with keeping superhero movies for dudes.

"It's the principle of the thing" is a statement rarely followed by anything intelligent when it comes to these topics.

But I am glad this super-hero didn't let this "slide." Who knows what would happen to the world if he did. I mean, just imagine it!

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
even worse is the idea that men are a protected class

If I had a bakery and refused to serve men on Thursdays, or said men couldn't order panini's or something, you don't get how that's fucked up, regardless of the fact men aren't a historically marginalised group?

diaspora

but the law!

I mean, the law doesn't prevent women's or men's events? I don't know how daft people have to be to think it does- this isn't the fucking "white" and "coloured" water fountains.

If I had a bakery and refused to serve men on Thursdays, or said men couldn't order panini's or something, you don't get how that's fucked up, regardless of the fact men aren't a historically marginalised group?

But that's not what's happening. It wouldn't be fucked up for a bakery that only served women on women's day. They're not preventing men from seeing Wonder Woman, they're having a women's event for the film.

Syriel

Depends on local law. Ladies Night events don't fall under federal law in the US, but they are covered under state and local law. The professor in the article cited Austin law as prohibiting the Alamo event. No one in this thread has refuted that claim.

There are a number of states in the US which have prohibited such events under civil rights and anti-discrimination law. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.

Alienous

Okay I just want to make sure that you realize the implication here is that a women's only event (and by extension women) have to be nice to men who approach them with hostility lest they invite further hostility, rather than just tell them to buzz off.

I guess I'm saying that no debate is better than insult flinging. It encourages more of that level of communication. 'Don't argue with an idiot because they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience'.

Anyway I was just saying that I wasn't a fan of the mockery, either. Otherwise I have no problem with what the Alamo Drafthouse are doing.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Pretty confident you're wrong. Theaters like bars or any other establishment are allowed to have a women's event.

Good eye! Looks like you're right. Apparently public accommodation laws re: sex/gender exist on a state level, and Texas is one of 5 states that doesn't have one:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/state-public-accommodation-laws.aspx

I guess the other 45 states are lolol don't understand lolol.

Edit: although apparently Austin may have such a law: https://www.municode.com/Library/tx/austin/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT5CIRI_CH5-2DIPUAC

It isn't either. But them choosing to respond with mockery, rather than debate or no response at all, seems like it was intended to annoy. And that just results in more hostility.

I don't think it's helpful. It doesn't need to be but I'm just saying I didn't care for it.

There was nothing Alamo could've said about the event whether it was mockery or debate that wouldn't have resulted in more men crying about a couple of women's only showings in a theater where it's playing on multiple screens. Let those complaining be hostle. It's a minisule private event.

Depends on local law. Ladies Night events don't fall under federal law in the US, but they are covered under state and local law. The professor in the article cited Austin law as prohibiting the Alamo event. No one in this thread has refuted that claim.

There are a number of states in the US which have prohibited such events under civil rights and anti-discrimination law. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.

I mean, the mayor responded directly to someone complaining about it by mocking him, and I'm pretty sure I read in one of the articles about this that there isn't even a clear punishment or law in Austin that would apply, and it's happening this week sooooo....I don't know.

diaspora

Good eye! Looks like you're right. Apparently public accommodation laws re: sex/gender exist on a state level, and Texas is one of 5 states that doesn't have one:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/state-public-accommodation-laws.aspx

I guess the other 45 states are lolol don't understand lolol.

Well considering that having a women's or men's event wouldn't violate accommodation laws considering that men have equal opportunity to view the film it like a bar's ladies night is a wash.

Texas doesn't prevent a ladies night from happening. Austin for example says that:
each individual to obtain goods and services in a public accommodation
Which the Drafthouse wouldn't violate- they're giving both men and women the opportunity to see Wonder Woman- a ladies night wouldn't stop this from happening.

Watching people die on this hill is almost sad.

CazTGG

but the law!

judge-dredd2.gif

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Well considering that having a women's or men's event wouldn't violate accommodation laws considering that men have equal opportunity to view the film it like a bar's ladies night is a wash.

Sorry, I genuinely don't understand this sentence.

Davidion

"Clark began researching Austin's city code and decided to file an administrative charge with the city's Equal Employment and Fair Housing Office.

He alleged that the Drafthouse's women-only event — as it was described in the theater's advertising — discriminated against male customers based on their gender. Citing the theater's promise to staff only women at the events, Clark also alleged that the Drafthouse was illegally engaging in employment discrimination.

”It's the principle of the thing," he told The Post. ”I'm a gay man, and I've studied and taught gay rights for years. Our gay bars have long said that you do not exclude people because they're gay or straight or transgender — you just can't do that for any reason."

...As far as public accommodations are concerned, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the reason this case was filed under the Austin city code is that it prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex...

Actually, she cited Austin law as forbidding discrimination and he only had allegations. No one bothered "refuting" the claim because a ladies' night generally doesn't constitute discrimination.

I actually love this whole "ladies night" thing, it's a kind of small victory in an industry/genre/medium dominated by men, but I'm not going to say "WOMEN ONLY", as in that specific wording, doesn't open the door to a lot of stupidity. I won't be surprised when some dummy manager decides to host a "MEN ONLY" Expendables 4 event as a counterpoint to this some time in the next few years.

Slayven

They literally have other normal showings at the exact same time as the women only ones. Why do a bunch of men want to force themselves on a room full of women?

Plumbob

This is one of those things that doesn't seem to matter one way or another. If the theater wins, great! They have women-only events. If they don't, they can have women targetted events that are open to men, like the Nike Women's marathon. Either way, life goes on.

diaspora

In Austin sex is, it says that in the OP's link...

He's challenging it on an employment law basis as per the OP. But given that it's merely about staffing for that night it's meaningless.

They literally have other normal showings at the exact same time as the women only ones. Why do a bunch of men want to force themselves on a room full of women?

This is what's hilarious. Nobody's being prevented from seeing wonder woman at the same establishment at the same time as the women's viewing. Trying to cite the law as though men are prevented from accessing goods and services from the Drafthouse is idiotic.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
I'm saying that even had sex been included it wouldn't matter. Men can see Wonder Woman at the Drafthouse too even if they host a ladies night.

Without bothering to look through the case law, I'm pretty sure that's not how discrimination is interpreted for public accommodations, since it seems like your interpretation would allow for separate-but-equal accommodations.

It looks like some states are trying to adopt de minimus exceptions, which presumably could prevent the law from being applied in circumstances like this: http://scholarship.shu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1192&context=shlr

azyless

The fact that men are moaning about one (1) freaking movie screening being women-only really goes to show how little they know about misogyny and discrimination in general.
Women's lives would be so much easier if all we had to worry about was a theater organising a Men's Night.

diaspora

Without bothering to look through the case law, I'm pretty sure that's not how discrimination is interpreted for public accommodations, since it seems like your interpretation would allow for separate-but-equal accommodations.

It looks like some states are trying to adopt de minimus exceptions, which presumably could prevent the law from being applied in circumstances like this: http://scholarship.shu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1192&context=shlr

It wouldn't being an event. Your pdf is for price differentials. One that almost everyone involved barring the big baby that started it considered a frivolity.

reckless

He's challenging it on an employment law basis as per the OP. But given that it's merely about staffing for that night it's meaningless.

”As far as public accommodations are concerned, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the reason this case was filed under the Austin city code is that it prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex."

So the guy is talking about both?... and yeah the employment part doesn't seem to be right and the source even says that.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
It wouldn't being an event.

Are there separate laws for events? Honest question - I don't know. Would weekly events still be considered events? What if a social club had a 3 hour 'event' every night?

One that almost everyone involved barring the big baby that started it considered a frivolity.

Yeah, that's my point. It seems like a de minimus exception could be useful in this situation, since this one time event is a frivolity.

Elandyll

Banned
It's 100% on The Alamo Draft House imo.

Instead of presenting it in a positive way, describing it as events "For Women", they had to go the extra mile (probably to be controversial) and specifically include text to exclude based on gender.

Embarrassing indeed that something that should have been an empowerment event became a controversy about exclusion.

diaspora

So the guy is talking about both?... and yeah the employment part doesn't seem to be right and the source even says that.

He doesn't have a case for accommodations given men are able to see the same film at the same theater at the same time.

Are there separate laws for events? Honest question - I don't know. Would weekly events still be considered events? What if a social club had a 3 hour 'event' every night?

There aren't really any laws preventing a women only room given they're providing accommodations to all sexes and genders in the first place.

MUnited83

For you.

terrible comparsion. In this case, men could use the exact same product in the exact same day as this event.

It is discriminatory and I'd like to understand how it isn't considered illegal and lastly from a feminist perspective, the passive-agressive language used hurts the cause.

That said, the movie turned out to be a huge success and I can't wait to see it myself.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
He doesn't have a case for accommodations given men are able to see the same film at the same theater at the same time.

There aren't really any laws preventing a women only room given they're providing accommodations to all sexes and genders in the first place.

It sounds like you're describing separate but equal again...

diaspora

Yeah, that's my point. It seems like a de minimus exception could be useful in this situation, since this one time event is a frivolity.

My point is that men aren't prevented from being accommodated by the Drafthouse at the same price as women. Holding a women room isn't against Austin law as I see it.

It sounds like you're describing separate but equal again...

Given that men and women can see the same movie together in the same room, no. Frankly the comparison is gross.

.JayZii

Banned
There are other showings. There are other theaters. This is so stupid.

Top Bottom