• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why a gay law professor is trying to shut down women-only ‘Wonder Woman’ screenings.

Indeed, imagine if this was an amusemwmt park. You have to ride different rides than your friends, not because of rider capacity, but because of your gender. How much fun would that be?

Sure this situation was for a small venue, but who is not to say it's a start of something that would occur commonly?

No has to do anything.

Your comparisons are not even remotely accurate

CazTGG

Separate but equal

2017 is a hell of a year

Indeed, imagine if this was an amusemwmt park. You have to ride different rides than your friends, not because of rider capacity, but because of your gender. How much fun would that be?

Sure this situation was for a small venue, but who is not to say it's a start of something that would occur commonly?

I'm going to repost this since apparently nobody watched it the first time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrqYb0Pcp0k

You are two-for-two in brain dead, intellectually dishonest comparisons. You're not going on a "different ride", you're all on the same fucking ride.

Reeks

Gay bars are generally split by gender naturally. They're two very separate social spheres.
True, but for someone so concerned with language, this implies all gay bars are male gay bars because that's clearly what he's talking about. Just interesting how layered sexism is.

Unbounded

What?

Did you even read what my comment was actually saying.

Him being gay doesn't mean shit for his argument.

I'm not sure what you're confused about. It's a pretty common trend on sites like GAF to dismiss people purely because of whatever group they may fall into. Them mentioning in the title that he's gay serves to give him some form of credibility to those who would try to dismiss his argument based on his background.

It's pretty obvious, but the only reason they're doing it is because on some level it actually matters.

diaspora

There is no slippery slope here.

One of these is a refusal of all service because the owners are making a discriminatory call based on a hatred of gay people. The other is a women's only showing of a movie meant to celebrate and empower women. It is not permanent. It also doesn't result in a situation in which men are being denied the opportunity to watch the movie. It doesn't deny men the ability to watch the movie with women. And it doesn't deny them the ability to watch the movie in that location.

Again, entirely dishonest framing.

If that bakery told the gay couple that they couldn't make their cake on Wednesday, but could do it Thursday or any day after that, then it would be a good comparison.

No, that would still be a terrible comparison.

This whole thing is being wildly exacerbated by everyone who glances at it, and wow how ridiculous some of the posts in here are still manages to surprise me even after all this time.

Milo is gay

Gay doesn't make you not a moron if you're a moron.

Pretty much, not sure what's so special about this one person's stupid take. He's not better than any of the other people whining about it.

You are two-for-two in brain dead, intellectually dishonest comparisons. You're not going on a "different ride", you're all on the same fucking ride.

And it's a two showings once and that's it... It'd be like if one time only they only get one car in the roller coaster only be women for two runs of the roller coaster and then it was never done again. That's about as close as you can get and it's still not all the way there. That's how stupid it is.

Cyframe

Can someone explain to me, why there is the need for women-only screenings of Wonder Woman? Why not women-only restaurants? Or women-only pavements? Does it make discrimination against women in any way better to give them something totally meaningless back?

"See, you earn only 80% of what that dickhead in the next office gets, but at least you can watch Wonder Women without any men in the room. You wouldn't see them as soon as the film starts, but whatever".

Why don't we just bring segregation back, but now based on gender instead of race.

I'm a gay man btw. In case you want to call me misogynistic now. Go ahead!

I'm gay. Being gay doesn't preclude someone from being a misogynist. It's literally an event to celebrate a female superhero, it's ladies night.

Everyone who has a problem with this I want to see evidence of filing suits against bars for having ladies night events.

I'm not sure what you're confused about. It's a pretty common trend on sites like GAF to dismiss people purely because of whatever group they may fall into. Them mentioning in the title that he's gay serves to give him some form of credibility to those who would try to dismiss his argument based on his background.

It's pretty obvious, but the only reason they're doing it is because on some level it actually matters.

But he has no extra credibility to speak because he's gay...

That was my point.

Him being gay means fuck nothing.

You guys just aren't getting it. The important fact is that you have to be separated. It doesn't matter that it was for a few showings.

Edit: How many times does it need to be repeated that telling someone to go elsewhere is unacceptable?

.JayZii

Banned
lol

not even that

the bakery said that for one time there would be a different pickup area like 10 feet away

No, that would still be a terrible comparison.

This whole thing is being wildly exacerbated by everyone who glances at it, and wow how ridiculous some of the posts in here are still manages to surprise me even after all this time.
You're right. I just can't with this faux drama.

Nepenthe

You guys just aren't getting it. The important fact is that you have to be separated. It doesn't matter that it was for a few showings.

Edit: How many times does it need to be repeated that telling someone to go elsewhere is unacceptable?

How do you feel about fraternities?

MUnited83

For you.

You don't have to be separated. How dense can you possibly be?

Rayis

Why don't we also sue the Catholic church for not ordaining female priests or sue the freemasons for not officially recognizing female members or lodges?

Oh, I get it. You're the one desperately trying to shoehorn some garbage "buh discrimination" examples to prop up your horrendous argument, and ignoring how this situation is in no way like any of those.

I'm not sure what you're confused about. Stupid ideas don't become less stupid because people from a certain group say them. What he said and his rationale behind it is still incredibly ignorant and holds no value, whether he is gay or not matters nothing in the conversation.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I could not possibly be moved to give a shit about a women's only showing of one movie in one theater.

But I find it hard to disagree that it's discrimination. I think as a society we either need to be okay or not okay with discrimination, and saying it's fine to discriminate against men but not against women etc. is not a tenable way to handle it.

diaspora

Why don't we also sue the Catholic church for not ordaining female priests or sue the freemasons for not officially recognizing female members or lodges?

I mean, even then that's a false equivalency. It'd be like if the Catholic church normally did ordain both men and women to be priests but one day they happened to offer an optional room or whatever where women could be ordained.

Some people really live sad fucking lives.

tumblr_mrsju1MxQp1ryqqyso1_500.gif

Nepenthe

I could not possibly be moved to give a shit about a women's only showing of one movie in one theater.

But I find it hard to disagree that it's discrimination. I think as a society we either need to be okay or not okay with discrimination, and saying it's fine to discriminate against men but not against women etc. is not a tenable way to handle it.

The point is, if men wanted to hold a Guy's Night showing of a film in this manner, there should be nothing stopping them.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
A women-only screening for one night of a movie is not discrimination.

An event that prohibits people of a particular gender from attending is discriminatory. I truly don't know how to explain that any more simply. The fact that it's for one night is completely irrelevant and the fact that people keep bringing up "but it's just fot one night" only highlights that they do not understand why.

The point is, if men wanted to hold a Guy's Night showing of a film in this manner, there should be nothing stopping them.

I would hope that it's an archaic idea that flies against gender equality would be enough to stop them.

CazTGG

An event that prohibits people of a particular gender from attending is discriminatory. I truly don't know how to explain that any more simply. The fact that it's for one night is completely irrelevant and the fact that people keep bringing up "but it's just fot one night" only highlights that they do not understand why.

This:

Is not the same thing as this:
You're not barred from seeing the film. You're not even barred from going to this theatre to see the film. There is no law stating that men and woman must be separated when in theatres, much to Mike Pence's eternal demise. There is no discrimination at play here, and anyone suggesting otherwise does not grasp the concept of what constitutes discrimination.

P.S. You should see the film because it's quite good, bordering on great at times.

Nepenthe

People against you are using discrimination in a macro context, since a lot of the outrage underpinning this event is that- if you squint hard enough- it looks exactly like Jim Crow, and by God if the blacks were allowed to get upset about subpar water fountains then I see no reason why men can't be upset at not being allowed in Theater 11 for one night

diaspora

I would hope that it's an archaic idea that flies against gender equality would be enough to stop them.

It's a good thing that's not what the Drafthouse is doing. Men and women can enjoy Wonder Woman together, the existence of a women's room doesn't change this. Separate but equal meant white only and "coloured" only water fountains- not shared water fountains with people of colour also having their own.

edit: This thread- extraordinarily has people showing their asses on racial and gender discrimination.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It's a good thing that's not what the Drafthouse is doing. Men and women can enjoy Wonder Woman together, the existence of a women's room doesn't change this.

The women's only screening of Wonder Woman is a women's only event, yes or no.

reckless

It's a good thing that's not what the Drafthouse is doing. Men and women can enjoy Wonder Woman together, the existence of a women's room doesn't change this. Separate but equal meant white only and "coloured" only water fountains- not shared water fountains with people of colour also having their own.

So which of the following would also okay? Seriously wondering since apparently things like this aren't discrimination.

Straight people only, able people only, Americans only, Christians only, White people only?

Cyframe

This really irritates me because it's like people are forgetting history and context on purpose. There were laws on the book that said people who looked like me (I'm Black) couldn't enter years ago. This is not comparable, and if you think it is please describe the systematic and systemic repercussions of this ladies night event. In other words, tell me how men are oppressed by this.

diaspora

Offer men only screenings​ as well, so people will drop this discrimination bullshit ?

Men can have their own screening if someone wants to book their rooms.

So which of the following would also okay? Seriously wondering since apparently things like this aren't discrimination.

Straight people only, able people only, Americans only, Christians only, White people only?

None of those are okay, but having a women-only room is okay. How aren't you intellectually incapable of understanding the difference between traditionally excluded groups and those that aren't?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Viewing Wonder Woman at the Alamo Drafthouse is not exclusive to women. Having a room with just women does is not discrimination, no.

The women's only screening of Wonder Woman is a women's only event, yes or no.

Wiped89

He is quite right though. It is discrimination, and it is illegal.

If there was a 'men only' screening it would also be discrimination, and also illegal. The law is the law in either case.

reckless

None of those are okay, but having a women-only room is okay. How aren't you intellectually incapable of understanding the difference between traditionally excluded groups and those that aren't?
Yeah none of those are okay because its discrimination... It's weird how being against discrimination now gets you insulted...

So who decides what is and isn't a traditionally excluded groups? And when does it change if ever?

diaspora

He is quite right though. It is discrimination, and it is illegal.

It's been illustrated in this thread why he and you are full of shit though.

Yeah none of those are okay because its discrimination... It's weird how being against discrimination now gets you insulted...

So who decides what is and isn't a traditionally excluded groups? And when does it change if ever?
How about the sex and gender that couldn't fucking vote until the 20th century? Or the race held in bondage? Or the people that couldn't marry until a few years ago? What a fucking moronic thing to say- you don't give a shit about discrimination.

Lots of gay men are extremely misogynistic unfortunately, what this asshole is doing and the way he describes bachelorettes going to gay clubs leads me to believe he's one of them.

I've had experiences going to gay bars and there being a group of extremely obnoxious and borderline homophobic/transphobic and abusive straight women in gay bars. It's not uncommon. But that doesn't mean you should point at all straight women and say they're all like that, they're not obviously.

However at the same time let's not pretend they're all innocent either. As a bisexual man, I've come across and have experienced a really ugly, homophobic side to straight women most people wouldn't believe.

Women should be allowed safe spaces or places because they're marginalized, just like minority groups. Only difference is your not in a minority just being a woman alone.

Top Bottom