• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Game Boy and Game Boy Color hardware sales combined so often?

ggx2ac

So apparently, despite having over 400 exclusive games, the GBC s not a new generation to some because there were cross-gen games released for it that also worked on the original Game Boy, just with less features.

Okay, well, the Zelda Oracles games came out after the GBA was out, and have an extra feature (a shop) if played on a GBA. Much like how you got extra features on a cross-gen Black cart GBC game.

So I guess that is proof the GBA was a GBC revision?

Again, just like the other guy you don't get it.

GBC isn't forwards compatible. Where are the GBA games I can play on my GBC then?

There are Gameboy Color games I can play on my Gameboy, that's forward compatible.

Branduil

Those games only came because of how well it sold. Let's not kid ourselves. Its sales and consequent exclusives are the only thing that differentiates it from DSi or n3DS. Last I checked, sales didn't affect which generation something is. If the n3DS had completely eclipsed the 3DS and the exclusives had sold like hotcakes and warranted more exclusives being made it would be in the same situation as the GBC... ie, a massively successful revision.

The N3DS is massively successful, it's the only version that's still being sold now other than the 2DS. There's still not a million exclusives because that would be pointless since it's not a new system.

I feel like this thread is exposing who was actually playing games during the GBC era, and who just wants to argue about categorization on wikipedia. People at the time did not think "Oh this is just a new Game Boy revision, take it or leave it." We'd already had that, it was called the Game Boy Pocket. This was a new system with new graphics and exclusive new games, plus it even had the bonus ability to upgrade your old Game Boy games. Kids today who have a 3DS for the most part don't give a shit if they get a N3DS; everyone wanted a Game Boy Color.

I disagree, the GBC was in a different league. It had a 56 color mode to make it backward compatible but it was clear from the start that it was to eclipse the b/w Game Boy and make it obsolete.
The n3DS was meant the eclipse the 3DS as well. It even has additional control capability and eye tracking. Twice the CPU cores clocked higher... It just didn't sell.

Really, the only difference is sales.

The N3DS is massively successful, it's the only version that's still being sold now other than the 2DS. There's still not a million exclusives because that would be pointless since it's not a new system.

I feel like this thread is exposing who was actually playing games during the GBC era, and who just wants to argue about categorization on wikipedia. People at the time did not think "Oh this is just a new Game Boy revision, take it or leave it." We'd already had that, it was called the Game Boy Pocket. This was a new system with new graphics and exclusive new games, plus it even had the bonus ability to upgrade your old Game Boy games. Kids today who have a 3DS for the most part don't give a shit if they get a N3DS; everyone wanted a Game Boy Color.
I'm 33 years old. I was actually gaming when the GBC came out. I watched the commercials. Read the magazines. I never for a moment thought it was anything other than a GB revision because it never showed itself to be one. The GB/GBC successor didn't come out until the GBA.

Marker007

I think if Nintendo themselves count it as part of the GB classic line then we don't have much room to argue. It's the same thing as if Xbox One games ran on the 360 with just a tiny fraction being Xbox One only exclusives.

Branduil

GBC isn't forwards compatible. Where are the GBA games I can play on my GBC then?

There are Gameboy Color games I can play on my Gameboy, that's forward compatible.

So, if in the upcoming generation, there are games which can be played on both PS5 and PS4 Pro, or Xbox Hyperloopcube and Xbone X, does that mean it's not really a new generation?

I think if Nintendo themselves count it as part of the GB classic line then we don't have much room to argue. It's the same thing as if Xbox One games ran on the 360 with just a tiny fraction being Xbox One only exclusives.
Funny in that Microsoft issued new boxes to 360 games that are BC on the Xbone that look identical to Xbone boxes but have Xbox 360/Xbox One on the top instead of just Xbox One.

Kyzer

Banned
Because its not up to us, Nintendo is in control of their products and how we arbitrarily categorize them is not relevant to them conducting business, whereas how they choose to arbitrarily categorize them is canon.

Marker007

I actually played a ton of Pokemon Gold & Silver and other forward compatible games on my Gameboy Pocket as a kid because I didn't get a color until a couple Christmas' after it came out. That's not the case with my PS4 games being playable on a PS3 though. If anything the GBC was a GB 1.5

nickgia

hqdefault.jpg

Lets not forget this Gamegirlboy Color exclusive.

Because its not up to us, Nintendo is in control of their products and how we arbitrarily categorize them is not relevant to them conducting business, whereas how they choose to arbitrarily categorize them is canon.

This. Most of us group 3D Mario games like this:

Group 1: Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Odyssey
Group 2: Super Mario 3D Land, 3D World

Nintendo groups them like this:

Group 1: Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Odyssey
Group 2: Super Mario Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, 3D World

ggx2ac

So, if in the upcoming generation, there are games which can be played on both PS5 and PS4 Pro, or Xbox Hyperloopcube and Xbone X, does that mean it's not really a new generation?

If you're expecting PS5 to run using a clocked up Jaguar CPU like the N3DS with its CPU upgrade, then the PS5 wouldn't be a new generation if I can take that same PS5 game and run it on the PS4/PS4 Pro.

Do you understand?

I'm pretty sure a lot of games that said Gameboy Color on the front also worked with Gameboy. Finding a definitive list is hard though.

I'm pretty sure the gray cartridges were GameBoy (and could be played on GBC), the black cartridges were sold with GBC branding (they were enhanced for the GBC), but also worked on GB, and the clear cartridges were GBC only.

Branduil

If you're expecting PS5 to run using a clocked up Jaguar CPU like the N3DS with its CPU upgrade, then the PS5 wouldn't be a new generation if I can take that same PS5 game and run it on the PS4/PS4 Pro.

Do you understand?

So just one cross-gen game would be enough to make it not a new generation, then?

D.Lo

No, you don't get it. The only difference here is marketing.

Zelda Oracles are technically cross gen games. They say GBC on the box, but have features you can only access on GBA. It is literally the same situation as a cross gen black GBC game, apart from how it was marketed. Heck Link's Awakening DX does the exact same thing one gen earlier, not just colour, it has a dungeon you can only access on the new gen hardware.

And to quote an edit I made last page:

The distinction is not sales, but age. The Game Boy was 9 years old when the GBC was released. GBC sales took off, but did not eclipse original Game Boy sales. The GBC's backward compatibility was done purely to support the success of Pokemon, as the GB had seen a very late sales uptick because of it.

But 3DS was only 3.5 years old when the N3DS was released. It was just a new model to spur sales. The extra power is used (and was most likely added) primarily to make the UI run better.

At the very least, GBC is a special case. A 1.6 generational leap. It is certainly much closer to a new gen than DSi and N3DS were.

There's a debate to be had on whether or not the GBC was a new generation, but people that combine GBA and GB or DS and 3DS are actual terrorists.

The GBC is just one word away from being exactly like the New 3DS. The latter has a few exclusive games and the former a few hundred. Potayto, potahto.

Pokemaniac

GBC really, really isn't just a hardware revision. It was launched and marketed as a full new generation, it just happened to have full backward compatibility.

Only maybe 15% of the games released after it came out worked on the old Game Boy, as far as I can tell basically zero black and white only Game Boy games were released after its introduction. And it has HUNDREDS of exclusive games including huge names like Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Metal Gear, the Zelda Oracles games, Tony Hawk games, Donkey Kong Country port...

I mean, the DSi also has hundreds of exclusive games. Most of them aren't retail but they still exist. New 3DS seems unlikely to reach that number, but nearly everything being released at this point at least seems to support it at at least a basic level.

The thing that all 3 of these systems have in common is that they are basically a copy of the system they are a revision of with a decent spec bump and a few other new features. They are all clearly revisions and not standalone systems by themselves.

Madao

the GBC is more like the Wii in the GC->Wii upgrade. it's using the previous system's specs in an upgraded format but it's marketed as a new system.

but wouldn't that make the GBA part of the DS family as well since the DS uses an upgraded GBA processor too?

it's crazy how many Nintendo systems share the guts of their predecessors. there's less systems that used one-time architectures (the N64's processors were never reused)

Zelda Oracles are technically cross gen games. They say GBC on the box, but have features you can only access on GBA. It is literally the same situation as a cross gen black GBC game, apart from how it was marketed. Heck Link's Awakening DX does the exact same thing one gen earlier, not just colour, it has a dungeon you can only access on the new gen hardware.

Name a single game boy advanced cartridge produced that can run on the gameboy color.

ggx2ac

So just one cross-gen game would be enough to make it not a new generation, then?

You had no problem saying DSi and N3DS aren't comparable to GBC because GBC had more retail games which I said duh, game budgets for GBC were much lower back then and it was quicker to make games with fewer people to send it out to retail.

Zelda Oracles are technically cross gen games. They say GBC on the box, but have features you can only access on GBA. It is literally the same situation as a cross gen black GBC game, apart from how it was marketed.

It uses a GBC cartridge so it can run on a GBC system and GBA. There isn't a GBA cartridge version of that where I can run it on my GBC.

D.Lo

Name a single game boy advanced cartridge produced that can run on the gameboy color.
It uses a GBC cartridge so it can run on a GBC system and GBA. There isn't a GBA cartridge version of that where I can run it on my GBC.
Miss the point again.

It is technically a cross gen game, just like Link's Awakening DX. The only difference is marketing, aka cart shape, and what console the box says.

But you're using the existence of cross-gen games on GBC (aka games with extra features on the new hardware, but work on the old hardware) as proof the platform was not a new generation. Zelda Oracles therefore 'prove' the GBA is just a GBC revision, since a game was released with content only available on the GBA, but which supported older hardware.

And if marketing is what we follow, then GBC was clearly a new generation. It has new branding, a new logo ON THE GAMES THEMSELVES, new campaigns, and hundreds of exclusive games.

I mean, the DSi also has hundreds of exclusive games. Most of them aren't retail but they still exist.
That is IMO an argument to call DSi a new generation too.

In that case it is much more of an access issue - you can't update the DS's firmware, so it's the DSi's software that allows access to the eshop. But still, it is to some extent a new platform too, yes. It was't marketed as one like the GBC was, but in reality it is.

jwhit28

I'm pretty sure the gray cartridges were GameBoy (and could be played on GBC), the black cartridges were sold with GBC branding (they were enhanced for the GBC), but also worked on GB, and the clear cartridges were GBC only.

Nintendo still sold games plastered with Gameboy Color branding that could run on the same Gameboy that came out 10+ years earlier in 1989. What other platform that would be considered a new generation shares that trait?

D.Lo

Nintendo still sold games plastered with Gameboy Color branding that could run on the same Gameboy that came out 10+ years earlier in 1989. What other platform that would be considered a new generation shares that trait?
As previously mentioned in the thread, there have been re-releases of Xbox 360 games with Xbone branding.

iidesuyo

the GBC is more like the Wii in the GC->Wii upgrade. it's using the previous system's specs in an upgraded format but it's marketed as a new system.

So in other words, it's a new system, and no one would combine sale numbers.

it's crazy how many Nintendo systems share the guts of their predecessors. there's less systems that used one-time architectures

If I remember correctly Sega consoles from the Sg-1000 up until the Mega Drive/Genesis were like an evolution and backward compatible.

Those are Game Boy games with extra features. They use the standard GB cart design, but black. GBC carts are entirely different in style and represent the vast majority of the GBC games.

D.Lo

That is a legit comparison, if we're using chips as the definition of a new platform, then the Wii is possibly less upgraded than the GBC was.

but wouldn't that make the GBA part of the DS family as well since the DS uses an upgraded GBA processor too?
No, DS contains a GBA, but has many more extra chips too. Just like how PS2 contains a PS1, or BC PS3's contain a PS2. Or how the GBA contains a GBC.

Pokemaniac

it's crazy how many Nintendo systems share the guts of their predecessors. there's less systems that used one-time architectures (the N64's processors were never reused)

The comparison doesn't exactly work quite that well.

The Wii is closest, but the buttload of extra hardware it has (none of the handheld revisions had anything on the level of a new fully separate CPU), and the fact that the systems' libraries remained fully separate (not even all Wiis play GameCube games) kind of disqualify it.

In the DS, the GBA hardware is more secondary, the primary CPU is new.

Branduil

So in other words, it's a new system, and no one would combine sale numbers.

And like the GC and Wii, the new systems have something that differentiate themselves(full color, motion controls) to a far greater degree than specs alone would indicate.

I'm pretty sure a lot of games that said Gameboy Color on the front also worked with Gameboy. Finding a definitive list is hard though.

Crystal is GBC only. The cart is the new design and won't enter an original GB, and will show the not compatible screen on a super Gameboy.

While gold and silver kept the compatibility, this one made the switch to GBC only.

Xbox 360. (The Burger King games from 2006 had 360 and original Xbox versions on the same disc.)

ggx2ac

Miss the point again.

It is technically a cross gen game, just like Link's Awakening DX. The only difference is marketing, aka cart shape, and what console the box says.

But you're using the existence of cross-gen games on GBC (aka games with extra features on the new hardware, but work on the old hardware) as proof the platform was not a new generation. Zelda Oracles therefore 'prove' the GBA is just a GBC revision, since a game was released with content only available on the GBA, but which supported older hardware.

And if marketing is what we follow, then GBC was clearly a new generation. It has new branding, a new logo ON THE GAMES THEMSELVES, new campaigns, and hundreds of exclusive games.

It's running on a GBC cartridge. You are telling me it is a GBA game that uses a GBC cartridge.

If you removed the labelling and showed the cartridge to someone, they would say its a Gameboy game or a Gameboy Color game, not a Gameboy Advance game.

D.Lo

It's running on a GBC cartridge. You are telling me it is a GBA game that uses a GBC cartridge.

If you removed the labelling and showed the cartridge to someone, they would say its a Gameboy game or a Gameboy Color game, not a Gameboy Advance game.
It is a cross-gen game. It comes in a GBC cart, but has extra features on GBA.

Just like Black GBC games, they come in a Game Boy cart (which literally says Game Boy imprinted in the plastic at the top, not GBC), but have extra features on a GBC.

Game Boy Color carts, which are a different shape and only work on GBC, have Game Boy Color imprinted in the plastic at the top.

Game Boy Advance carts, which are a different shape and only work on GBA, have Game Boy Advance imprinted in the plastic at the top.

GBC exclusive games are? I highly doubt that.

It's a weird anomaly of a thing but in general most GBC games run on a Gameboy so they might as well be the same system. Semantics
Read. The. Thread.

There are 427 Game Boy Color excluive games that do not work on the original Game Boy. There are only around 166 cross-gen Game Boy Color games that work on original Game Boy.

SNES has 700-800 games. So yes, GBC has more than half the number of exclusive games as the SNES.

As a kid I skipped the Pocket because it was clearly the same shit all over again and a waste of money. I got the GBC because it was a new platform.

GBC exclusive games are? I highly doubt that.

It's a weird anomaly of a thing but in general most GBC games run on a Gameboy so they might as well be the same system. Semantics

No, most are exclusive

Pokemaniac

So like, do you consider the PS4 Pro and Xbone X to be separate platforms, too? Because those are essentially the same thing, just with a platform holder mandate to not release exclusive games.

So like, do you consider the PS4 Pro and Xbone X to be separate platforms, too? Because those are essentially the same thing, just with a platform holder mandate to not release exclusive games.

Uh that is a pretty big difference don't you think

A boat is basically a submarine, just it doesn't go underwater

Branduil

I think people get confused about the number of cross-gen games because, while most GBC games were exclusive, the ones that weren't were some of the most popular ones, i.e. Pokemon.

ggx2ac

It is a cross-gen game. It comes in a GBC cart, but has extra features on GBA.

Just like Black GBC games, they come in a Game Boy cart (which literally says Game Boy imprinted in the plastic at the top, not GBC), but have extra features on a GBC.

Game Boy Color carts, which are a different shape and only work on GBC, have Game Boy Color imprinted in the plastic at the top.

Game Boy Advance carts, which are a different shape and only work on GBA, have Game Boy Advance imprinted in the plastic at the top.

Fine, I'll concede to you that it's a cross-gen game because I can't be bothered going any longer over semantics.

So that means we can now combine GB, GBC, GBA together for hardware sales since GB and GBC are forward compatible to their hardware revisions.

I joke with the combining hardware sales, since I don't want to bother going longer over this.

Kazerei

Banned
I feel like the DSi was a much bigger leap than the GBC. DSi added two cameras and an SD card slot, which meant you could take photos, record sounds (via the microphone), and transfer the files to your computer. You could also save AAC files on the SD card and use the DSi as a music player. And of course, you could download games digitally from DSi Shop. Quite a lot of new functionality for what is generally considered a hardware revision. I guess that new functionality is typically overlooked, so hardly anyone considers the DSi to be a new generation.

Pokemaniac

Uh that is a pretty big difference don't you think

A boat is basically a submarine, just it doesn't go underwater

The upgraded PS and Xbox are the same core hardware, just with a spec bump and a few extra bells and whistles. How exactly is that any different from the GBC, DSi or New 3DS.

This all depends to me now. Is 400 games what you'd consider an entirely new platform? Do you compare it by specs? Original gameboy supposedly had at least 1000 games to its name. Gameboy color, 450, then Gameboy Advance, at least 1000 (but more than gameboy)

So, I suppose the better question is, do we consider the Gameboy Color a flop like Wii U for only lasting around 4-5 years :p

(In the end, idgaf, I'll still consider it part of the gameboy. P.S. there was a thread like this two years ago http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117295&page=4 )

Marker007

I'm finished with discussing the topic but I did some looking and this very same topic of discussion about GB and GBC generation separation happened in a thread on here a while back. Thought it was quite funny how history repeats itself.

Top Bottom