• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are so many new games released all near each other? Wallet near breaking point!!!

Why are so many new games released all near each other and not spread out?

April-June is just a treasure trove of goodness.
Off the top of my head, for releases I know about, and all but Redfall, I want to play.

Advanced Wars reboot
Jedi Survivor
Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom
Diablo 4
System Shock remake
Everspace 2
Final Fantasy 16
Street Fighter 6
Etrian Odyssey HD - I, II, III
We Love Katamari REROLL+ Royal Reverie
Age of Wonder 4
Redfall
Darkest Dungeon 2
Amnesia: The Bunker
Resident Evil 4 remake ( March but at the end, so I'm Adding it. )

So far I bought , Advanced wars, Zelda Tears of the kingdom, System Shock remake, Everspace 2, Diablo 4, Re4remake, We love Katamari re-roll ,and pre-ordered ff16 (will still get EO collection, SF6, Amnesia and Jedi survivor at some point , after sales).

Tons of games, why all at once? You would think they would spread these out so we get games every month, but instead we get months with nothing but shovelware and nothing good.
Why do they dump them and cannibalize new release sales?

A lot of these outside of Zelda will get prices drops later so they can be waited for.
This has been going on for decades now.
There has to be a reason for it. Is it do to stock market stuff and end of fiscal year or something? "Look stock holders, we are putting out games (well except for Microsoft, :messenger_grinning_squinting:)"

I would think they(publishers) would be strategic.
Think how many more sales diablo or Final Fantasy would get if they weren't in with Zelda. Let alone more obscure games like Etrian odyessy, amnesia and katamari (those games are going to get no love). People will buy the AAA game and forget the rest.

At now $70 price points, people are not going to pre-order as much and think twice before binge or instant buying. I know some will say "its just $10 more, if you can't afford that than don't game", as I have heard this countless times from some. The thing is that $10 more matters. Closer to $100 and people say not today and wait for sales, I know i do, and was doing that before, but will do it more now.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well you shouldn’t be buying games you don’t have time to play, first of all, not that I take my own advice enough on this although I try.

Lots of these games were significantly delayed from 2021-2022, which were pretty horrible years for releases, but they’re done now (or “done”). At some point you have to get them out and let the chips fall where the may. The publishers do not (and really cannot legally) collude to spread out games, obviously they hunt for spots on the calendar but it fills up quickly. I think Jedi Survivor obviously released when it did to get ahead of Zelda, and that’s a game that had lots of delays but yea at some point it needs to come out.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the matter?
I bought Dead Space Remake, Hogwarts Legacy, Re4 Remake and TotK on Day 1. I usually buy like one game a year on Day 1 - fucking hell. I've beaten all of them except TotK so far.

I'll buy Diablo 4 once I finish TotK, but that could be awhile. After D4 I'm in the clear. At least I hope.....

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I've only bought three new games this year. Resident Evil 4. Zelda. Final Fantasy 16. I blew my entire gaming budget (and then some) on the ROG Ally so I'm not going to have an issue, skipping all the great games this year (even though I'm crying on the inside). At least I got Game Pass Ultimate for a couple of months so I can play Eiyuden Chronicles, Starfield and Lies of P for "free".

bender

What time is it?
Start with Redfall and thank us later for the recommendation.

nba-jimmy-butler.gif

gundalf

I stopped buying and tracking all the latest games around mid 360/PS3 gen. Just accept that the old 8bit/16bit times with very sparse releases of worthwhile games is over, there is a constant flow of new great games and you can't play them all nor should you. It's just entertainment and not a life fulfilling journey, you will never get that from games.

Quantum253

I wait to buy a game until it's next up to be played. Especially nowadays, when games drop 50% in price in a few months.

Except first party nintendo, then you may as well get it at release...
Saved so much money doing this. It's also nice not having the guilt/rush to get the game currently being played completed; just take your time and enjoy the game. The next title of interest should have a nice discount and better yet, game-improving patches.
This year I've only purchased GOW: Ragnarok, and don't feel bad about having tons of unopened games I paid full price for.

acm2000

you've had plenty of warning to put money aside not to mention 3 of those are on game pass, thats ignoring the fact that you dont have to buy games at launch anyway, its not hard to avoid spoilers if you care that much.

Raven117

Probably because Covid knocked alot of the development back...and from a fiscal quarter perspective...they just had to get these games out the door.

Fbh

I actually do think it's weird how they put so many big releases together.
But for me it's great, I just slowly play all the stuff one after another which means half of these will be like 50% off when I actually have the time to play them

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It's been an awesome season for gaming, no lie. It's gonna keep going this year, too, with some big releases in FFXVI, Pikmin IV, Baldur's Gate 3, Mortal Kombat 1, Alan Wake 2, Starfield and Forza as well. It's been a long time since a gaming year like this one.

You don't have to buy them at release, OP.
haha, I usually don't but RE4remake, Dead Island 2 (shit forgot that one) , Advanced wars, diablo 4, zelda, ff16, were there and I had tons of overtime, so extra pay, get them while i can.

Most of these won't get sales, and if they do it will be a long time (except TOTK). I usually wait for sales, but these games are instant buy for me.

ZoukGalaxy

Games does not "expire" if you don't buy them at launch. Even better, buying a game later will give you the best experience: less expensive and potential game fixes released. Win-win situation.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Just pace yourself. It’s easy. I won’t be buying FF16 until I’m done with Zelda… which is likely still weeks away.

FOMO is not healthy.

oji-san

Banned
I'm still waiting for Hogwarts Legacy to reach $40, also for several other games like Jedi Survivor, Dead Island 2 and RE4R so i'm in your situation.

Quantum253

Games does not "expire" if you don't buy them at launch. Even better, buying a game later will give you the best experience: less expensive and potential game fixes released. Win-win situation.
The only upside is you end up with a title that is extremely rare or becomes valuable, which I don't think happens very often. That really only goes for those who are looking to make a profit later down the road or avid collectors. Otherwise, I agree that a game becomes even better after launch. Especially if you get the complete edition with all DLC/patches for a fraction of the cost.

Well OP, that's a problem easy to solve. Just don't buy all those games when you know you won't have the time to play it all.

Hell, not even people like gaming reviewers/completionists/journalists have the time to beat every single big release in this and age. So don't sweat it out.

I’m not convinced that major games releasing near each other really hurt their sales. It’s almost a month since Zelda. You expect publishers to wait longer than that? What if they delay and then it turns out that Zelda is also delayed a month? Then they’ve fucked themselves. These are all very different games too.

I don’t even know that it hurts smaller games. Outlast Trials is doing gangbusters. System Shock is doing fine. As long as you don’t release on literally the same day as Zelda I don’t think it’s much of an issue.

I’m currently playing Civilization 5 (PC) and Xenogears (PS1).

So, yeah, you don’t need to buy games on release day, even if they are some of the best ever created.

Because the entire year is packed with releases due to delays in the last couple years and most of the big games are releasing in Q3 and Q4 so a lot of publishers are trying not to release in that slot.

This^

Gamers have a major case of FOMO ..... :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Whats releasing in q3/q4? Only games I know of are baldurs gate 3, starfield, and assassin creed mirage (and probably some form of yearly cod and sports games).. Am I missing something? To me big games are dead space, hogwarts, re4, Zelda, ff16, SF6, diablo 4, dead island 2.

.... And hopefully suikoden 1&2 collection... That still has a dec 2023 place holder... Wtf Konami.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You can buy discounted Steam keys for upcoming games too (for example, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is 15% discount on GMG).

Taking my time with Zelda TOTK and SF6 now, and lots of backlog. Also Steam Sales later this month. Which means I will not be buying FF16 on PS5 and will wait for the improved version on PC

The only one that makes no difference when bought is Zelda as Nintendo prices never go down. The rest, I’d just await for the “complete” edition down the line or pick at a sale.
That's the reason why I haven't bought RE4 Remake, because I know Capcom's just going to release a Gold Edition a year later.

Also OP, you have to prioritize the games you want to buy full price. Just wait for a deep sale for the rest.

Top Bottom