• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are so many senior Starfleet officers corrupt and/or insane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourMyle

Christ. Star Trek is so fucking lame. Whenever I think back to all those episodes involving that ridicuolus psychic or the Q or any number of other dumb shit in TNG, it makes Star Wars look like Othello in comparison.

Enosh

because the federation "ideals" are complete bullshit that don't survive 5 seconds in the real world

hell the federation only survived the dominion war because it had people that were willing to shit all over said ideals

foxtrot3d

Banned
Christ. Star Trek is so fucking lame. Whenever I think back to all those episodes involving that ridicuolus psychic or the Q or any number of other dumb shit in TNG, it makes Star Wars look like Othello in comparison.

Q is fucking awesome so you shut your mouth.

(and she got promoted before Picard and Sisko)

To be fair, Picard had been offered becoming an admiral at least once, but he denied it because he wanted to keep commandeering a ship instead of having a desk job.
Also, Sisko went to become a member of the Prophets after the Dominion War's conclusion, otherwise he likely would've been promoted.
And Janeway caused significant damage to the Borg Collective by destroying their transwarp conduits.

Not saying Janeway isn't absolutely batshit crazy, cause she is, but I felt that point is a bit unfair even to her lol.

Admiral Jameson

HQVfjUG.jpg

Supplied weapons to terrorists and covered it up. He later took two vials of reverse ageing drugs, and degenerated into youth and insanity.

Insanity rating: ****
5X12Vbh.jpg

Shouta

Dougherty was the Admiral in Insurrection, right?

The bad guys were in the right in that movie. Dumb Ba'ku.

Won

But seriously though how did Janeway and Archer ever become Captains? They are just terrible at their jobs.

Archer's daddy built the Enterprise warp drive or something. That's all he needed on his resume.

Janeway probably just played along with the Federation and only unleashed her madness in the delta quadrant, where no one could take the commanda way from her.

because the federation "ideals" are complete bullshit that don't survive 5 seconds in the real world

hell the federation only survived the dominion war because it had people that were willing to shit all over said ideals

Yup, best parts of trek was when they showed the cracks in the Federation. Humanity would not stand for that crap

The Cowboy

I was mad a s hell when I watched the movie that showed Janeway as an admiral ,if anything after reading all her reports she should have been demoted to Ensign (or perhaps even Cadet and forced to redo Starfleet academy training).

Some of the things she did - just WOW.

Askani

When all the people who would have been greedy, power hungry and crazy in a past society are just power hungry and crazy in the future since there is no money...they can really focus and get down to the business of being power hungry and crazy.

Aiustis

Nechayev was not that bad. She definitely didn't do anything that was power hungry, corrupt or insane. Everyone one of her positions was rather sensible. She made concessions with the Cardassians because it was a better option than a confrontation. And with the borg, desperate times call for desperate measures.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't blame Janeway for Tuvix. She made an emotional call to save two people at the expense of someone who was never supposed to exist in the first place.

Infinity

Thank you, OP, for this thread. What a wonderful way to reacquaint myself with Trek lore.

But yeah, Braxton was batshit crazy. Ransom was pretty damn mad too, but the road he took was to save his people from starvation. Doesn't make it right, but you know ... The road paved with good intentions blah, blah, blah...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Despite being the best Captain Sisko had his own bouts of crazy. Even Kirk and Picard did their fair share of terrible things.

Kirk put a megalomaniac in charge if his own planet and never checked up on them. He's responsible for every person Khan later.

Sisko destroyed the atmosphere of an entire planet to scare out one man.

Thank you, OP, for this thread. What a wonderful way to reacquaint myself with Trek lore.

But yeah, Braxton was batshit crazy. Ransom was pretty damn mad too, but the road he took was to save his people from starvation. Doesn't make it right, but you know ... The road paved with good intentions blah, blah, blah...

Ransom didn't get the magic ship that fully healed itself once a week with an unlimited power supply and shuttlecraft replicator. The Equinox was Voyager without god mode turned on.

Sisko destroyed the atmosphere of an entire planet to scare out one man.

Plus that whole murder thing, the implied request to Worf for him to kill the obstinate leader of the Klingon empire, and allowing his staff to use invasive mind probe technology on Sloane to extract information from him.

Season 6/7 Sisko really isn't the same character as Season 1 Sisko.

In a world where money is kinda pointless, the only remaining measures through which you can compare yourself with your lessers is fame & power.

CodonAUG

Its all numbers.
There are billions and billions of people in the Federation. Even if a hyper small percentage is morally bankrupt there will still be quite a few to list off.

Plus that whole murder thing, the implied request to Worf for him to kill the obstinate leader of the Klingon empire, and allowing his staff to use invasive mind probe technology on Sloane to extract information from him.

Season 6/7 Sisko really isn't the same character as Season 1 Sisko.
That's because Sisko knew what had to be done. You know why the Federation won the Dominion War? Sisko.

Exactly. There's a little speech Sisko gives where he says something to the effect of the Federation ideals are all well and good back on Earth where it's a paradise, but out there in the "real" world it just doesn't work.
Religion corrupted Siskos morals in DS9.
I don't know if it was religion so much as seeing thousands die everyday in a brutal war.

Effect

Dougherty was the Admiral in Insurrection, right?

The bad guys were in the right in that movie. Dumb Ba'ku.

I can still enjoyed bad Trek films but Insurrection isn't one of them for that very reason. I remember the first time I watched I wasn't sure who I was suppose to be cheering for because I didn't agree with Picard and crew at all. I'm pretty sure there was an episode like this in the TNG series as well. One with a group of Native Americans but can't be sure.

MC Safety

Plus one for mentioning Captain Garth.

Minus 15 for not referring to him by his true title, Lord Garth, Master of the Universe.

Loam

The Psych Test forces a candidate into a situation in which their greatest fear is made manifest, and a passing mark is only awarded to those that overcome the trauma with their sanity intact.
Well here is your problem. No one in Starfleet thought that pushing people to the brink might have some lasting effects.

Tzeentch

When they try to promote Picard to Admiral again in the books (after a Borg invasion) he basically says hell no, and then quotes Kirk's statement to him in Generations that he can actually get stuff done as a Captain.

Which explains why Janeway was made Admiral. She was a hero to the folks back home, but as an Admiral she can't cause NEARLY as many problems.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
When they try to promote Picard to Admiral again in the books (after a Borg invasion) he basically says hell no, and then quotes Kirk's statement to him in Generations that he can actually get stuff done as a Captain.

Which explains why Janeway was made Admiral. She was a hero to the folks back home, but as an Admiral she can't cause NEARLY as many problems.

She's the classic example of promoting a problem away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom