• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why BG3 doesn't support KB+M on consoles?

Ar¢tos

I understand a lot of effort was made to make the game work on controllers, but this kind of game feels much better played with keyboard. So why isn't it like FF14 where the interface changes to PC style when you plug a keyboard?
It's not like they have to create the interface since there is a PC version already. Is it technically difficult to implement? Is it Larian not considering it worth it because of the low amount of players that would use it?
I don't have a PC at the moment and I have 3 keyboards laying around somewhere, and it's easy to get a kb+M pack for less than 10€ nowadays.
Seems to be an easy QoL feature to add to any cRPG on consoles, but apparently only FF14 has bothered to implement.

Ar¢tos

How good is the controller support?
It's as good as it can get, but keyboard would always be better for these games. With the keyboard interface already existing and with consoles (at least the ps5) already supporting keyboard at OS level, it just seemed like a missed opportunity to make the game feel better.
Hopefully it will come in a later patch, like darrylgorn darrylgorn said.

I played on PC and then again on PS5 with my newborn on my chest the entire 80 hours.
Took a few hours to get uses to the control scheme on console, but then it was fluid and terrific - except some consistent fiddling w/the wheels, but no different than fiddling w/hotbars on PC anyway.

BlackTron

Consoles are a bitch with this. One FPS game will support m/kb, and the next is controller only.

I became really intimate with this problem when I got a Series X pretty much just because graphics card prices were crazy. I used it to play Halo at a desk. It did a shit job of replacing a PC not because it didn't have games, but because they were so inconsistent with m/kb support even where it's blatantly obvious.

Frustration hit a peak when Proteus hit Gamepass without mouse support. I was like...you got me through a rough patch Xbox. But bye lol.

It's actually even worse than it sounds -if you use a PC to stream a Gamepass game, it's running on Xbox in the cloud so you will have to use a controller. Even for Gamepass games that are available to install on native PC, like Starfield.

Doom85

It's as good as it can get, but keyboard would always be better for these games.

Actually, compared to prior CRPGs, Larian designed BG3 to have advantages to both control styles. Being able to just area radius search and be told instantly which chests have anything in them, plus when out of combat simply moving the player character forward easily without constantly moving the mouse and clicking are both pros to the controller. Keyboard and mouse do make selecting enemies and such in higher altitudes and other odd areas easier. There’s advantages to both control styles.

DaGwaphics

Maybe they will add that in like CP2077 did. Interesting that they didn't give players the option from the beginning.

Top Bottom