• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Knack 1 and 2 get such meh reactions/review?

keraj37

starfield-face-bug.jpg

Dr_Ifto

They are really just kids games, and not like Pixar kids movie where they have things for adults too. The games are really just for kids. Really not that hard, and very simple story.

They are basically glorified tech demos, also.

StueyDuck

the first one was pretty meh. haven't played 2 so can't comment, but adding co-op to any game instantly jumps it up a few points

Quezacolt

i've never played any of the games, and one of the reasons why is because i think the design of the main character is godawful. I don't want to spend hours looking at that thing.

Skifi28

Knack 1 was a mess. It did have a few nice thing going for it, but some flaws ruined the game like way too simplistic combat with crazy difficulty spikes for no reason or constantly watching 20 second cutscenes of your character just walking a few steps or jumping 2 feet on a platform, like why??? 2 was much better and pretty much improved on everything, but I feel like the damage was done at this point and there was no saving the franchise. I also didn't care for the story for either game.

Wait, did I say not care? No, I meant I was rolling my eyes at least twice in every cutscene. Few games can make me skip cinematics, yet I gave up after a while

Last edited:

GymWolf

I enjoyed them for what they are, linear platform brawlers with simple but kinda challenging combat (on hard), first 1 was too simple but they expanded the combat a bit in the second one, i thought the controls feeling was great in both.

Who gives a damn if the character is butt ugly? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The fact that they were light on platform and heavy on combat was a plus for me since i don't enjoy platformers since forever, second one had more platform stuff unfortunately.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Meh is a totally fair and accurate reaction. I enjoyed them on a deep sale. But locking the camera and having very limited moves and limited platforming just left a totally servicable 6.5 or 7 cozy retro game without a ton of depth. Using a ton of power on computation for all his parts didnt fully pay off either since the game looks fine, but its not some artistic or visual showpiece.

havoc00

They are really just kids games, and not like Pixar kids movie where they have things for adults too. The games are really just for kids. Really not that hard, and very simple story.

They are basically glorified tech demos, also.
Play them on hard....

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I liked the first one, but didn't play the second.

Like Magic Carpet Magic Carpet said, I kept wanting them to let me do more and to continue getting bigger and bigger - instead there's really just 2-3 different sizes which made it feel more like Mario (Mario, Super Mario, Fire Mario) in terms of power level.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The art style was straight up astro boy. which was weird... I was always expecting astro to show up. lol

When the first one was announced it looked like we’d be able to play Pixar movie. For me it just didn’t deliver on the trailers, etc.

Fbh

I only played some of the first but it just wasn't particularly good. The game would have gotten zero notoriety if it wasn't a Sony first party title.

Also the way they announced it made it become a a meme.
Like everyone was super hyped for the Ps4 and looking forward to what crazy next gen games Sony would show during the Ps4 unveiling event.
And the first thing they actually show is:
maxresdefault.jpg

SodaZA

Both where pretty shallow in all respects
Thats coming from someone who actually likes them

Granted i got Knack 1 free with my PS4 and got Knack 2 at a bargain bin, They really are not worth the og prices

I'd love to see a 3rd game though, Knack 2 was an improvement

SenkiDala

Kids games
No and that's the point. All the communication was made around the fact that it's like a PIXAR game, for kids, cute, etc (Cerny has a weird sense of what is cute or not...) but in the end the game is HARD as fuck and it just annoys kids.

Overall I think they are pretty bad games. They are playable but... not so enjoyable in my opinion.

The game design is less than average, the character design is more than pathetic... If it wasn't a Sony 1st party it would have been considered like a fail little indie game.

Certinty

I’ve always said it and i’ll say it again.

I’ve never understood the reaction they’ve gotten from most people. A lot of it is down to a majority having never even played the games just bandwagoning the memes and so on.

They’re great games. They look nice visually, play really well, the combat and platforming is fun and even the story is tolerable, I’m not even sure what more people want?

Honestly, I loved both, especially playing both on hard difficulty I had an absolute blast.

Would love for a third.

Famipan

1 is very difficult on Hard and there was even harder difficulties available after clearing the game.

I found it pretty ok 7-8/10 and I couldn’t wait for that 2-4hr session every day when I played it. It’s perfect in small bites. I enjoyed it much more than for example DK64 or Rayman Legends which I both dropped.

Also the music felt really underrated

And finishing the game watching the credits was awesome. THAT’S where the animation budget went (and the source for the Knack meme) – great credits!

Last edited:

Esca

I really liked them both and so did quite a few of my friends. Beating them each a couple of times with them. I'd buy a new one

ZoukGalaxy

Because games are barely 0,0001% as good as any 3D Mario.
Oh, and also, the character is fugly as hell and games have literally no proper identity unlike Astrobot, which is the real deal.

astro bot hello GIF by PlayStationDE

SCB3

I know they're an attempt at a meme or something, but the reality is they're very safe and well Bland as dirt, they're ok but do nothing all that interesting or new and makes you wanna play a better platformer

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's like eating plain bread, untoasted, no butter, nothing, just the bread.

It's not an unenjoyable experience, but there's absolutely nothing there.

Top Bottom