• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did NoA redesign the SNES for the US?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Could have been worse.

MEP1r27.jpg

Could have been better. I think this SNES prototype is easily better than we got on either side (minus the expansion port being conspicuously placed on the front). And the complementary NES redesign that used the same controller port, swoon!

The PC Engine turning into the TurboGrafx was a much bigger downgrade, though. They said it was because of added RF shielding for FCC rules but I think it was more because they felt the original was too compact and cute for North America.
YES. this is the real travesty people need to be talking about.

Kthulhu

American here. I like both designs, but if I had to choose I'd pick the PAL/JPN version. I'm a sucker for bright colors over the more muted design of the NA version.

Did the PAL/JPN SNES also have that issue where it turned yellowish over time?

According to this interview, the designer didn't like the way it looked when devices we're attached to the expansion slot...

https://assemblergames.com/threads/interview-with-the-nes-case-designer.8530/

.Lance Barr: The Super Famicom was maybe okay for the market in Japan. For the US, I felt that it was too soft and had no edge. We were always looking at future modular components (even the NES had a connector on the bottom), so you had to design with the idea of stacking on top of other components. I though the Super Famicom didn't look good when stacked and even by itself, had a kind of "bag of bread" look.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Not with that Yank name, no.

BONUS:
Sega Genesis > Mega Drive
Mega Drive looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff with the tiny Mega Drive name almost not visible in the corner.
Oh, feck off with that Gynysys cack. It's not even Sega's first console, so the name doesn't make sense from that standpoint. And that logo...terrible. Just look at that sleek chrome sheen on that Mega Drive logo.

I'm sorry, but your Yank name deserves an exodus.

Sapiens

Oh, feck off with that Gynysys cack. It's not even Sega's first console, so the name doesn't make sense from that standpoint. And that logo...terrible. Just look at that sleek chrome sheen on that Mega Drive logo.

Bah, only one MD logo matters:

megadrive-jpnsegagagadomain.jpg

Boss X

Banned
Well, today certain countries get special editions, but yeah it'd be huge if say Europe got a completely different model of the PS5

I’ve always thought the US version looked like crap. It’s a bit too busy and clashing, and I don’t like the boxy style.

Never really gave a good look at the Japanese one before, but it looks good to me, honestly.

Edit: also purple is the worst color

dcx4610

Grew up with the SNES and didn't dislike it when it came out. I wasn't a fan of the purple but the system itself was fine. When I saw the Super Famicom/Euro SNES, I was envious.

The color scheme and design was far superior and for years I wanted to import one. It wasn't practical or easily done back then so I let it go. I eventually got one as an adult just to have one.

I think the Super Famicom design seemed like the logical evolution of the NES in design while the Super Nintendo seemed like it was trying to be too futuristic.

Kintaco

Which one is the cheap knock off?

The US SNES is the ugliest shit ever. All that purple, Jesus fuck... If it had retained the original colors it would have been less terrible (but still pretty ugly).
Lol wtf? It's only 2 purple buttons on the system and 4 on the controller. That's not exactly a lot of purple.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Nah, Genesis is a memorable and thematically fitting name for the console that was pushed as marking a new era in games. "Mega Drive" is nonsense speak that sounds like something you'd call a component for a failing beige home computer in the '80s.

ggx2ac

Nah, Genesis is a memorable and thematically fitting name for the console that was pushed as marking a new era in games. "Mega Drive" is nonsense speak that sounds like something you'd call a component for a failing beige home computer in the '80s.

Replace Mega Drive with Dreamcast and change the year...

Synth

The Genesis definitely looks like the cheap knock-off in that comparison. It looks like they just slapped a large sticker on it.

I do actually quite like the Genesis name though, and typically refer to it as such these days, even though I grew up calling it a Mega Drive.

Replace Mega Drive with Dreamcast and change the year...

Dreamcast sounds crap tbh. Its only by virtue of the console itself being so awesome that anyone gives it a pass.

It's the only mainline Sega console that I don't like the name of.

Kintaco

The Genesis definitely looks like the cheap knock-off in that comparison. It looks like they just slapped a large sticker on it.

I do actually quite like the Genesis name though, and typically refer to it as such these days, even though I grew up calling it a Mega Drive.
At least they bothered putting branding on the Genesis. Where is the branding on the Mega Drive? It looks like they deliberately didn't add a logo in order to not be sued by Sega.

Dreamcast sounds crap tbh. Its only by virtue of the console itself being so awesome that anyone gives it a pass.

It's the only mainline Sega console that I don't like the name of.
Never understood the love for the name, it's so bad. However that's the only Sega system that I truly enjoyed. Really wish I still had it.

Synth

At least they bothered putting branding on the Genesis. Where is the branding on the Mega Drive? It looks like they deliberately didn't add a logo in order to not be sued by Sega.

The stylised font used for MEGA DRIVE was also the branding. Which can be seen on later game cases also:
51IxYACyLUL.jpg

Sometimes less is more, and so they opted not to plaster a huge tacky looking logo (with the wrong name) in the center of the console.

Seeing as the original JP model has the same branding, and (once again) the US version is the odd man out, I'm not sure you want to use the knock-off argument when it comes to branding.

SKINNER!

Banned
Genesis is such a trashy name. Trying to pander to the US Christian audience. I guess the Sega Bible, Sega 32X Torah and Sega CD Quran wasn't catchy enough.

Even as a kid who hadn't seen what the JP/PAL SNES looked like, I found the US one really ugly and boring.

Super Famicom is way better looking in every aspect.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
The one with the big "LOOK AT ME AND THE STUPID NAME I HAVE" logo on top. Comes across as tacky.

Of all the Revelations I've seen, this one doesn't do the Job for me.

Talk about your Psalms, talk about Genesis 3:16 - Mega Drive 3:16 says Japan and Europe got the right, true name of Sega's cherished 16-bit console.
I'm gonna give you a hell yeah, for that.

giphy.gif

Never understood the love for the name, it's so bad. However that's the only Sega system that I truly enjoyed. Really wish I still had it.
You know what, I'm gonna throw something new into the mix...the blue swirl looks the best.

lazygecko

Sega of America going with red for their branding never made sense to me. Like, the Sega logo is already blue, and it's the perfect counterpart to Nintendo's red.

pablito

Guess I'm one of the weirdos that likes the US version more. Way more. Looks iconic, whereas the other version looks more like a piece of bootleg hardware.

The colorful controller buttons are dope, though.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Guess I'm one of the weirdos that likes the US version more. Way more. Looks iconic, whereas the other version looks more like a piece of bootleg hardware.

The colorful controller buttons are dope, though.

i dont the colors clash with the rest of the system least with the purple and and light purple it matches the rest of the system

ethomaz

Banned
Because the other design are ugly.

snes-vs-super-famicom-comparison%20-%20pal%20and%20ntsc.jpg

The console in the middle is absolutely a looker... the others are terrible bad.

kunonabi

nah, Switch? are you crazy?
Wii U is neutral, VB looks cool.

maybe the 2DS but i still rank the US SNES above it. it's atrocious.

The wii u is ugly by way of being so damn boring that it becomes unappealing.

The switch is an ugly black rectangle with controllers grafted on to the side with the dock being an even more hideous piece of plastic. Fix the dock, add some color to the main unit and make the logo less intrusive and it would look much nicer.

v1oz

Back in the 90’s I preferred the US SNES because it looks less toy like. But these days I prefer the Super Famicom, it’s a lot less offensive and the design has aged better IMO. And I’m glad the US didn’t choose to design their own N64 - it would have been an eyesore compared to the sexy international version.

The SNES redesign was garbage. Just as terrible as the awful Wii redesign.

v1oz

Probably $$$. The US design looks cheaper to manufacture. Reduction in cost is mentioned in the article.

No build quality is the same. The US version however uses a more textured finish. The Super Famicom is smoother. Both change colour turn yellowish as they age.

Back in the 90’s I preferred the US SNES because it looks less toy like. But these days I prefer the Super Famicom, it’s a lot less offensive and the design has aged better IMO. And I’m glad the US didn’t choose to design their own N64 - it would have been an eyesore compared to the sexy international version.

The SNES redesign was garbage. Just as terrible as the awful Wii redesign.

Now I want to see NoA take on a N64 :D

v1oz

The Megadrive looked like something Sony would have put out at the time. It was very early 90s hi-fi in its appearance, a great looking console for the era.

My word, I really really miss Sega :(
The Mega Drive represented the differences in culture between Sega and Nintendo at the time. Mega Drive was designed to look cool, trendy and stylish with “16 bit” emblazoned in bold letters for all to see. The 16 bit thing was huge at the time, it was like having double D Dolby logo on your hifi at the time - it added to coolness factor. Whilst the SNES was just an unassuming grey box. The same contrast exists between the company mascots Sonic and Mario. Sonic was designed to be cool, whilst Mario is a fat old plumber.

In playgrounds at the time all the cool kids liked Sega, whilst all the geeks were into Nintendo.

IrishNinja

I'm sorry

did you own a master system in the US? it had like 4% market share. Genesis was effectively sega's first real start here

also, you're forgiven

In playgrounds at the time all the cool kids liked Sega, whilst all the geeks were into Nintendo.

this has always been true

see the EU SNES, hands down
mega drive? why that plain white stripe, where the sexy red one goes? blue swirl for DC does make more sense than the red one though, historically speaking

Top Bottom