• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Vikings have 'Allah' on clothes?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think this actually highlights a problem that ”minorties" within the western world have been talking about for many years now. History has been written from a ”whitewashed" point of view.

The letters used in Arabic are instantaneously recognizable honestly. It's just that there's no room in academia for alternative points of view that allows for women or minorities to play a more active role than has been traditionally presented. Recall the shit show of the ”black Roman".

Larsson then realised she was not looking at Viking patterns at all but ancient Arabic Kufic script.

There were two words that kept recurring. One of them she identified with the help of an Iranian colleague. It was the name "Ali" - the fourth caliph of Islam.

But the word next to Ali was more difficult to decipher.

To unlock the puzzle, she enlarged the letters and examined them from all angles, including from behind.

Seems a bit more complex than you are making it seem. Also apparently this was a shittily done copy job.

"But more likely it is a wrongly copied pattern."

I didnt know vikings were religious

Norse mythology??? Thor???? Odin???????

Anyway I don't think this implies a significant conversion of vikings to islam. The easiest connection is that they raided Muslim Spain, took their nice clothes, and got buried in them because they were trophies. I wouldn't be surprised if some converted through long-term contact but the article even mentions Moorish Spain so....

"I couldn't quite make sense of them and then I remembered where I had seen similar designs - in Spain, on Moorish textiles."

Not a huge jump that it's just stolen shit.

heyf00L

This one?
arabic_ligature_allah_isolated_form_uFDF2_icon_256x256.png

That's missing the first letter. That's also standard Arabic script, but the article says it's in Kufic script, which is a little different.

Here is Allah written in Kufic on the flag of Iran:

kawlogI.png

Compared to the viking one, the H (on the left) is different. Otherwise it's very similar.

Here's another Allah in Kufic:

Allah-Square-Kufic-940x853.jpg

This one's H (on the left, looks like a mirrored 6) is much closer to the viking one, but the A is laid flat across the top for style. A is usually a tall vertical line, sometimes with a tail on the bottom and usually doesn't attack to the next letter (to the left). But apparently it can since it does on the Iranian flag and the viking design. That makes it indistinguishable from an L, tho. Although in the Iranian flag the A might be one of the horizontal lines. The A in Akhbar clearly is. I'm not sure.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They even identified that the material had to have come from the East. Only question would be if the raw material was grabbed or traded from the east or the actual garment was. There is no evidence that the garment was made just for the funeral.

Cocaloch

It's just that there's no room in academia for alternative points of view that allows for women or minorities to play a more active role than has been traditionally presented. Recall the shit show of the ”black Roman".

I don't think you understand much about "academia" or academic history. It might be worth noting that the shit show with the black Roman was specifically coming from non-historians complaining about what a historian said. It's not the academy that's the problem. It's the wider public and anti-intellectualism like this post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_ibn_Yaqub

Dude even visited a town that's only a few miles away from my home.
It's also pretty well documented that Vikings quickly adapted new religions. Why only pray to your gods when those weird Christians have just one god who's supposed to be more powerful than freakin Odin? Pray to all the gods!

It's not just vikings, most people have historically borrowed and traded with other myths and religious systems. This thread is filled with awkward religious anachronism where we project back the more stable understanding of religion extant in the West, onto people who simply didn't believe that way.

Practically every society ever in history was religious. Vikings started off as pagans.

Secularism is a relatively recent thing.

Norse mythology??? Thor???? Odin???????

Anyway I don't think this implies a significant conversion of vikings to islam. The easiest connection is that they raided Muslim Spain, took their nice clothes, and got buried in them because they were trophies. I wouldn't be surprised if some converted through long-term contact but the article even mentions Moorish Spain so....

Not a huge jump that it's just stolen shit.

I'll just show myself out

sphagnum

Banned
Academia is perfectly willing to incorporate revisionist views of history, it happens all the time. Revisionism isn't seen as a bad thing when it has evidence.

Cocaloch

Academia is perfectly willing to incorporate revisionist views of history, it happens all the time. Revisionism isn't seen as a bad thing when it has evidence.

Historians generally avoid the word because of the massive loaded connotation it has among laypeople. It simply doesn't make much sense to historians who are totally aware that our narratives about the past are far less stable than laypeople believe. When you don't believe in the end all authority of the received narrative, then what would so call "revisionist history" be revising?

Sunster

They even identified that the material had to have come from the East. Only question would be if the raw material was grabbed or traded from the east or the actual garment was. There is no evidence that the garment was made just for the funeral.

the question still stands, could there have been Muslim Vikings? This research points to the possibility.

Cocaloch

the question still stands, could there have been Muslim Vikings? This research points to the possibility.

I'd say that category, "Muslim Vikings", is anachronistic. That being said I have no doubt some, maybe even many, vikings took a bunch of ideas from Islam and incorporated them into their religious life.

sphagnum

Banned
Historians generally avoid the word because of the massive loaded connotation it has among laypeople. It simply doesn't make much sense to historians who are totally aware that our narratives about the past are far less stable than laypeople believe. When you don't believe in the end all authority of the received narrative, then what would so call "revisionist history" be revising?

Yeah, the only time I ever really heard it used a lot was in an introductory course about historiography in my freshman year; otherwise it was just taken for granted "Yeah, stuff changes all the time as we get more evidence. Here's some cool new coins that showed xyz instead of abc!"

Derwind

Vikings reached far out kingdoms, I can imagine a few might have picked up other customs & faiths, this may or may not be the case here.

I find it interesting those that would immediately dismiss an archeologists body of work with little or no explanitation as to why.

Maybe they were like alt-right Vikings, flying the flag of their enemies. I mean, imagine how confused anthropologists will be in 1500 years when they find evidence of Americans flying around flags from a country America defeated 70 years prior.

"Could the Nazis have established trade routes to Charlottesville 70-years after Hitler killed himself? Did ancient aliens bring confederate insignia from the past to the 2000s??"

Or, like today, some people who don't know a lick of Chinese or have any connection to modern day or ancient China, have some ancient Chinese tattoos that just kinda look cool and they think means "BROTHERHOOD" or something, when it probably means "Rain storm" and in 1500 years, if the preserved remains of Chad from Chapel Hill are discovered in some tobacco-water bog, it could really throw sociologists for a loop. "Was ancient Chinese more common in rural America in 2015 than we thought?!?" "Did thousands of American college students speak Greek and worship Greek symbols?!!? Why are their structures covered in Greek lettering!? WHY!?"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why would it be mirrored? To avoid copyright (lol)? It must have crossed their mind that this could be some design accident with someone drawing a cool glyph out of memory.

Maybe they were like alt-right Vikings, flying the flag of their enemies. I mean, imagine how confused anthropologists will be in 1500 years when they find evidence of Americans flying around flags from a country America defeated 70 years prior.

"Could the Nazis have established trade routes to Charlottesville 70-years after Hitler killed himself? Did ancient aliens bring confederate insignia from the past to the 2000s??"
That's what I'm getting at. Working out some overarching historical conclusions out of something small like that, seems kind of unwise.

This is complete nonsense. It only spells Allah if you're desperate to see it.

And many people see Allah in the most innocent objects.

I thought the same as well before reading the article.

Perhaps you should do the same too.

EDIT: Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some vikings converted to Islam.

Not surprised if they keep being vikings, just doing it under a different belief.

Lubricus

The Varangian guard were composed of Norsemen. They were in Byzantium since the 800's. They were used in the Byzantine army while fighting the Muslims. It may have been loot from sacking a Muslim town.

Aske

They turned Neanderthals into human cannibals though.

And one of the vikings wears fucking conquistador armour, which is just painfully stupid. But the movie remains awesome.

Do we know for sure they were supposed to be Neanderthals? I remember them being regular people, just part of a flesh-eating tribe/cult.

On topic...Hmm. I believe there might have been Muslim vikings, but not only does that embroidery not look at all like the arabic script, am I right in thinking that you have to use a mirror to make the comparison? Definitely seems like someone's reaching.

Tubobutts

And one of the vikings wears fucking conquistador armour, which is just painfully stupid. But the movie remains awesome.

Do we know for sure they were supposed to be Neanderthals? I remember them being regular people, just part of a flesh-eating tribe/cult.
In the book they were Neanderthals.

Seems a bit more complex than you are making it seem. Also apparently this was a shittily done copy job.

This to me makes me suspect something picked up somewhere closer to home but done in an 'exotic' fashion to make it more appealing on the market. The Volga river was the pathway for a lot of trade, and once you're at the Black Sea it's not too much farther to the likes of the Abbasid Caliphate.

Vikings reached far out kingdoms, I can imagine a few might have picked up other customs & faiths, this may or may not be the case here.

I find it interesting those that would immediately dismiss an archeologists body of work with little or no explanitation as to why.

Politics. That's what it always boils down to when someone wants to discredit us.

Or, like today, some people who don't know a lick of Chinese or have any connection to modern day or ancient China, have some ancient Chinese tattoos that just kinda look cool and they think means "BROTHERHOOD" or something, when it probably means "Rain storm" and in 1500 years, if the preserved remains of Chad from Chapel Hill are discovered in some tobacco-water bog, it could really throw sociologists for a loop. "Was ancient Chinese more common in rural America in 2015 than we thought?!?" "Did thousands of American college students speak Greek and worship Greek symbols?!!? Why are their structures covered in Greek lettering!? WHY!?"
The biggest thing will be when they will wonder if Nazi where actually Buddhist with all those swatika

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Why do people find the notion of medieval Scandinavians converting to Islam more mind blowing than that of ancient Greeks and Romans converting to Christianity? Religious conversions are a frequent occurrence whenever different cultures interact, particularly if there's no legal barrier preventing them.

There's nothing implausible about a Scandinavian merchant being impressed with Muslim sermons and adopting the religion during his travels. Alternatively, a merchant whose business took him to Asia Minor or the Middle East could have worshiped the Muslim God as yet another powerful god, one who rules over the Arab lands. People who come from polytheistic traditions sometimes don't really get monotheism and just borrow the bits they like, in ways they understand them.

televator

That's missing the first letter. That's also standard Arabic script, but the article says it's in Kufic script, which is a little different.

Here is Allah written in Kufic on the flag of Iran:

kawlogI.png

Compared to the viking one, the H (on the left) is different. Otherwise it's very similar.

Here's another Allah in Kufic:

Allah-Square-Kufic-940x853.jpg

This one's H (on the left, looks like a mirrored 6) is much closer to the viking one, but the A is laid flat across the top for style. A is usually a tall vertical line, sometimes with a tail on the bottom and usually doesn't attack to the next letter (to the left). But apparently it can since it does on the Iranian flag and the viking design. That makes it indistinguishable from an L, tho. Although in the Iranian flag the A might be one of the horizontal lines. The A in Akhbar clearly is. I'm not sure.

This all has me like:
The-Big-Lebowski-WTF-Expression-While-Checking-Things-Out.gif

DrSlek

Given the Volga Bulgarian people converted to Islam in the 10th century, I don't know why this is so surprising. The Vikings had trade routes with the Volga Bulgarians and other peoples further south. The Scandinavian kingdoms had metric shitloads of exposure to Islam through raiding, trade and mercenary work.

Aske

This is so mysterious. Looking at the examples heyf00L posted, now I feel like I could be persuaded either way. Half my brain is like "it's so obvious! Similarity!", while the other half is like "...but all the letters are wrong, and the writing is mirrored". Looking forward to more info, in any case.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is complete nonsense. It only spells Allah if you're desperate to see it.

And many people see Allah in the most innocent objects.

Like ice cream ...
DBhoFdyUIAAZOEt.jpg

A baby's ear ...

allah%2Bear.jpg

A cloud ...

allahclouds.jpg

For the rest of the world these similarities are just a coincidence.

Random guy in the internet dismisses conclusion by a trained scientist and researcher.

Fucking lol.

CDX

There may be something to it.

But honestly when it not only has to be rotated a certain specific way, but then after rotating it also has to be viewed in a mirror to see the script. I don't personally see that as the strongest evidence.

"But more likely it is a wrongly copied pattern."

This is what it seems like it could be to me. Someone saw the script thought of it as a pattern and tried to copy the cool looking pattern.

But hopefully this inspires researches to look for more, better, or stronger evidence. If it's true I imagine there could be more evidence to find.

Drencrom

The Vikings travelled and traded/pillaged a lot, someone or some probably picked up on the pattern and copied it (hence it being backwards) or just brought funeral garbs with them to Scandinavia. Coins and items from the middle east and other parts of Europe has been found too here so it isn’t something out of the ordinary.

There may be something to it.

But honestly when it not only has to be rotated a certain specific way, but then after rotating it also has to be viewed in a mirror to see the script. I don't personally see that as the strongest evidence.

This is what it seems like it could be to me. Someone saw the script thought of it as a pattern and tried to copy the cool looking pattern.

But hopefully this inspires researches to look for more, better, or stronger evidence. If it's true I imagine there could be more evidence to find.

The big thing would be finding a greater range of examples in both origin and time, and hopefully establish a proper typology. Celtic coinage is loaded with coins that have seemingly random patterns but that are actually the result of imitation of greek tetradachms over decades and centuries, with an increasing loss of the original design.

Top Bottom