• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Vikings have 'Allah' on clothes?

jsnepo

I love you guys for referencing the 13th warrior. I always thought I'm the only one who find the movie awesome.

So many people in this thread understand this reference, and yet 13th Warrior was one of the biggest box office flops of all time. Where were ya'll when Banderas needed you most?!

My best friend wanted us to go see The 13th Warrior when it was in theaters but I convinced him to go see Jin-Roh instead. I caught 13th Warrior on tv a couple of years later. Antonio, I formally apologize.

So many people in this thread understand this reference, and yet 13th Warrior was one of the biggest box office flops of all time. Where were ya'll when Banderas needed you most?!
Which is unfortunate. Its a cult classic now. Remember, Blade Runner was a total bomba too when it came out.

Unfortunately Hollywood learned the wrong lesson of never having a Muslim protagonist ever again, unless it's Aladdin.

What's worthwhile to remember in this case is that Mulder does cite other examples of Arab influenced Scandinavian artefacts, but notes how this doesn't bear a resemblance to them. She even dissects why the story blew up as it did. A worthwhile insight into how we must consider our interpretations of archaeology. It was possible, but in this case, improbable.

Which is unfortunate. Its a cult classic now. Remember, Blade Runner was a total bomba too when it came out.

Unfortunately Hollywood learned the wrong lesson of never having a Muslim protagonist ever again, unless it's Aladdin.

It might help to have McTiernan come back and do a directors cut. The movie was sliced to pieces and Michael Crichton reshot the ending.

bitbydeath

It would have and will be so great if they DO turn out to find a link between Vikings and Islam. The existential meltdowns, I want to see them.

It’d likely lead to muslims getting more respect as Vikings has the cool factor, but alas it is not meant to be.

It would have and will be so great if they DO turn out to find a link between Vikings and Islam. The existential meltdowns, I want to see them.

Well, there are, as the thread details. There's a freaking Buddha statue in there (yes, not Islam, but even farther afield so of course closer shit got there), along with arabic coins. True, not necessarily examples of the embrace of culture, but of trade? For sure.

qcf x2

It’d likely lead to muslims getting more respect as Vikings has the cool factor, but alas it is not meant to be.

Vikings have long been espoused as the idealized "pure race" for a lot of white supremacists, for whom Muslims are the greatest of enemies these days. It would have been a Clayton Bigsby moment.

bitbydeath

Vikings have long been espoused as the idealized "pure race" for a lot of white supremacists, for whom Muslims are the greatest of enemies these days. It would have been a Clayton Bigsby moment.

K, I don’t know any so wouldn’t see any impact here.

Honestly the whole thing was tainted though, and the evidence used in that debunking only sets it in deeper. I'll have to look deeper, but I've heard that apparently the archeologist who found this has a history of finding Arabic in things, extrapolating, and making big claims without peer review.

SkyOdin

There is a link: the only written account we have of a Viking funeral comes from a first-hand account written by a Muslim traveler. The man in question, Ahmad ibn Fadlan, was part of an embassy sent to the Volga Bulgars, who has recently converted to Islam. Along the way, he also encounter the Rus', the Vikings of Swedish descent who settled in the Volga river region.

If the name is familiar, it is because ibn Fadlan and his account of watching a viking funeral serve as a major inspiration for the book Eaters of the Dead and its movie incarnation The 13th Warrior.

I think the bigger discovery here is that they had mirrors in 9th century.
Mirrors are ancient. Mirrors made of polished obsidian have been dated to 6000 BC. Mirrors were also one of the first things people made once humanity learned how to shape copper and bronze.

Despite most popular depictions, medieval castles also had glass windows. Movies and games are really bad at depicting historical eras accurately.

There is a link: the only written account we have of a Viking funeral comes from a first-hand account written by a Muslim traveler. The man in question, Ahmad ibn Fadlan, was part of an embassy sent to the Volga Bulgars, who has recently converted to Islam. Along the way, he also encounter the Rus', the Vikings of Swedish descent who settled in the Volga river region.

If the name is familiar, it is because ibn Fadlan and his account of watching a viking funeral serve as a major inspiration for the book Eaters of the Dead and its movie incarnation The 13th Warrior.

Mirrors are ancient. Mirrors made of polished obsidian have been dated to 6000 BC. Mirrors were also one of the first things people made once humanity learned how to shape copper and bronze.

Despite most popular depictions, medieval castles also had glass windows. Movies and games are really bad at depicting historical eras accurately.

It's a really weird thing where people can severely overestimate and underestimate what was possible in given periods of the past.

This feels like a very modern typeface with how blocky it is.

AAtjAPw.img

Could see it being copied.

BaasRed

Banned

Looking at this image and with a small amount of knowledge in Arabic and much less in Kufic writing, I'm only confused about one thing here.

In general Arabic, Allah is written like this: "الله"
With the first letter separated from the others.

I looked up some Kufi scripts of Allah and they seem to be consistent in that regard. If anyone knows more Kufic script please tell me what I'm missing here.

To further clarify, the way it's written in this image reads as: "للله"
Which makes no sense in Arabic.

Dyle

Wow at how much the author assumed on this. Pretty damning that she went out of her way to modify the script to make it look somewhat like Arabic script. It's even pretty obvious that she added to the original fabric given that the added sections run counter to the grain of the other sections. Has the original author responded?

In the full design it does appear to have drawn influence from far beyond Europe, seen in the implementation of swastikas in the band. I suppose that the original author, if she was indeed capitalizing on the urge to correct the notion that Vikings/Medieval Europe was predominantly white, was not interested in sharing that juicy little detail. Turns out it even if the Allah thing were true, the piece wouldn't be a great example of disproving white supremacist revisions of medieval history, because the idiots would just jump on it predicting the Nazis. Shame to see such sensationalism when there is so much solid and fascinating work out there, even on this very subject.
There is a small triangular shape, but no final ha ـه. Frag. was published in 1938 by Agnes Geijer, original drawing looked like this: 31/60
DMQpJIBW0AA3ghn.jpg:large

Looking at this image and with a small amount of knowledge in Arabic and much less in Kufic writing, I'm only confused about one thing here.

In general Arabic, Allah is written like this: "الله"
With the first letter separated from the others.

I looked up some Kufi scripts of Allah and they seem to be consistent in that regard. If anyone knows more Kufic script please tell me what I'm missing here.

To further clarify, the way it's written in this image reads as: "للله"
Which makes no sense in Arabic.

It's not arabic.

Top Bottom