• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Gamers get a bad wrap?

TLZ

Banned
This, if anyone thinks it's bad now, back in the day it was practically an underground club. No mainstream press, no videogame chain stores, scorn from family and friends who could not understand why a teenager wouldn't grow up and stop playing those childish games. Shits changed a lot.
The same naysayers who play games on their phones now.

TLZ

Banned
I read Germans
inglorious-basterds-call-me.gif

Nico_D

Because gaming turns far too many adults into whiners and that is difficult to take seriously.

Good thing many celebrities have confessed being gamers, most notably Henry Cavill who just can't stop talking about it.

Bragr

Banned
In that case we need to make a proper distinction between gaming as a past time activity and gaming as an addiction that takes up all your free time. If I dont game then i would watch more youtube, tv, maybe read a book but it doesn't mean i read Shakespeare just because i read books. What im trying to say is...."reading books is better than playing games" doesnt really count unless those books are deep literature.
Absolutely, there is an overflow of entertainment, books are part of that, just like games. It's just that, like many things, you don't understand the choices you make until you get older.

You assume that games are worth it for the fun, that since it's so enjoyable, it's a good way to spend your life, but if you are honest with yourself, I think that most gamers are aware that 80% of the time you spend gaming, is out of habit and comfort and doesn't do much for you. There are some rare games that might mean something to you on a deep level, but that is so rare that it doesn't make up for all the time that it doesn't mean anything.

Like most here, I spend a lot of time on games, TV, and the internet, but I can't deny I would be better off if I was more productive, if I pursued a better career and spent more time with my friends. One thing you don't understand when you are young is how fucking hard it is to meet new people when you enter your 30's. When you are at school, you meet people all the time, when you get older, you really need a strong social network to come across new people. Because mostly you meet people through other people.

When you end up in your 30's and all you do is go to work and go home and play games and sit in front of the computer, it becomes clear that those teenage years was only partly about having fun, the rest was about developing work ethics, so you become capable and can pursue many careers and find the one you like. You only figure out what you want by trying many jobs over and over, you gotta be adventurous and tenacious. And that it was about building a network of friends so that you have an easier path to meet new people and build a family.

There is no coincidence that people are more depressed and isolated than ever before. Our current entertainment culture hardwires that sort of personality from your childhood.

Have you met a self identifying gamer?

They're the absolute fucking worst.
Yeah. There are people who play games and then there are people who base their identity on gaming. And loudest of them are cringe as fuck*.

*just like in most fandoms

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Currently due to PR tactics to help deflect blame of an anti consumer practice.

Etc.

Its the new litmus test of if the game your playing is mostly shit. It's not the devs, it never is its always the community. Surprisingly toxicity dousent seem to fester around titles without extreme controvisity, and what does this controvisity come from? Normally a huge anti consumer dick move, now declare TOXIC and have the community fight over it themselves.

Blame gamers and consume product.

From an outsider perspective how is that going to look? Yeah not great.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What does that word even mean any more?

It's not the 90s, everyone plays video games, even if it's Bejewelled on Facebook, Roblox on a phone, whatever. Some people don't even play video games but spend more time watching people play them online than other people spend playing them. "Gamer" means shit.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This seems like a boomer and older millennial Gen X'r thing now. The rest of the world has accepted gaming. We get blockbuster movies now highlighting it. All kinds of people want to be the next millionaire Twitch streamer. Gaming has bled into all facets of pop culture. Etc. At this point it feels like anyone who still disses on gamers are the dorks now.

Last edited:

Fbh

Because these days most groups are defined by what their loudest members do online.
So even though the average "gamer" is just a regular person that likes to play videogames on their free time, you'll mostly be hearing about gamers doing shitty, toxic or just childish stuff

KielCasto

Do they, really? I think gaming is “in” now and is really popular console- and mobile- wise among the youth. Gaming streams are popular, and I bet most parents allow their kids to watch those streams.

Plus, we have celebrities who either appear in commercials or are open about their gaming hobby. That has to be favorable for the image of “gamers”.

People like you are the reason people who play videogames don't identify as "gamers"
So now you have gone back shit talking when someone calls out your BS. I'm not the one who described gamers as "the scum of the earth" buddy but keep that projection going.

Gaming is for everyone, and people who identify as gamers are part of that community as well.

Last edited:

Bakkus

It must be nice to live in USA and be a gamer, because here, gaming is still considered by large to be stuff only for really socially awkward nerds and hipsters. FIFA, COD, and certain 'AAA' games are like the only 'socially acceptable' games. If you're out or in a home party and talking to people, especially women, you can't talk about that. Unless you're like Magnus Carlsen, who brought an ultra nerdy hobby in to the mainstream here, and I've actually met him once at a club.

RaduN

Preconceived ideas, pushed by mainstream media since forever, just like those surrounding bodybuilding, where the average Joe automatically thinks "steroid monsters" and women with beards.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Because gaming turns far too many adults into whiners and that is difficult to take seriously.

Good thing many celebrities have confessed being gamers, most notably Henry Cavill who just can't stop talking about it.
Also, that dude from Frodo is a huge gamer as well.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely, there is an overflow of entertainment, books are part of that, just like games. It's just that, like many things, you don't understand the choices you make until you get older.

You assume that games are worth it for the fun, that since it's so enjoyable, it's a good way to spend your life, but if you are honest with yourself, I think that most gamers are aware that 80% of the time you spend gaming, is out of habit and comfort and doesn't do much for you. There are some rare games that might mean something to you on a deep level, but that is so rare that it doesn't make up for all the time that it doesn't mean anything.
Why does it have to „mean“ anything? Just having fun is meaning in of itself. Escaping into other worlds. Experiencing new things that you can‘t in real life.
Like most here, I spend a lot of time on games, TV, and the internet, but I can't deny I would be better off if I was more productive, if I pursued a better career and spent more time with my friends.
I play a ton of games, but I still maintain a social life. Many of whom are wildly different ages from mine. Some 20 years older, some 10 Years younger. This sounds more like a you problem than a problem with games.
One thing you don't understand when you are young is how fucking hard it is to meet new people when you enter your 30's. When you are at school, you meet people all the time, when you get older, you really need a strong social network to come across new people. Because mostly you meet people through other people.
Except it isn‘t? Its incredibly easy. Go to a local game store (cards/board games, not video games). Or a LAN center. Chat with folks, do some DND games if you can. Find people in the games you play. The amount of people I have met and life long friends I made this way are too many to count.
When you end up in your 30's and all you do is go to work and go home and play games and sit in front of the computer, it becomes clear that those teenage years was only partly about having fun, the rest was about developing work ethics, so you become capable and can pursue many careers and find the one you like. You only figure out what you want by trying many jobs over and over, you gotta be adventurous and tenacious. And that it was about building a network of friends so that you have an easier path to meet new people and build a family.

There is no coincidence that people are more depressed and isolated than ever before. Our current entertainment culture hardwires that sort of personality from your childhood.
Again, I feel you are projecting onto others massively here. Many of my friends are in their 30s, none of them regret the thousands of hours of games they played. All are healthy, with fantastic jobs, many with lovely families, and each with diverse hobbies aside from games.

People are „depressed and isolated“ because they create little negative echo chambers and live vicariously through people online. That isn‘t the fault of games.

A lot that I have met IRL fit the emotionally retarded with social issues stereotype. These are things people can overcome though, if they want to.

you must be young. Gamers had much worse rep 20 years ago. now its normal. watch the netflix special about video game history its awesome.

gaming makes more than film and music industry combined. let that sink in.

Bragr

Banned
Why does it have to „mean“ anything? Just having fun is meaning in of itself. Escaping into other worlds. Experiencing new things that you can‘t in real life.

I play a ton of games, but I still maintain a social life. Many of whom are wildly different ages from mine. Some 20 years older, some 10 Years younger. This sounds more like a you problem than a problem with games.

Except it isn‘t? Its incredibly easy. Go to a local game store (cards/board games, not video games). Or a LAN center. Chat with folks, do some DND games if you can. Find people in the games you play. The amount of people I have met and life long friends I made this way are too many to count.

Again, I feel you are projecting onto others massively here. Many of my friends are in their 30s, none of them regret the thousands of hours of games they played. All are healthy, with fantastic jobs, many with lovely families, and each with diverse hobbies aside from games.

People are „depressed and isolated“ because they create little negative echo chambers and live vicariously through people online. That isn‘t the fault of games.
I didn't see this before.

"Games are escapism", "escapism is good", "my friends are not addicted so it must be fine" etc... These are all the common responses people usually have, I don't see much value in them. I wasn't talking about casual gamers or people who can set it aside. I was talking about the typical stereotype for "gamers" who spend 3-4+ hours a day on games. The point where fun becomes bad for you and you miss out on too much because your spare time is wasted every day. And yes, for most people it's hard getting new friends the older you get, that is normal.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I didn't see this before.

"Games are escapism", "escapism is good", "my friends are not addicted so it must be fine" etc... These are all the common responses people usually have, I don't see much value in them. I wasn't talking about casual gamers or people who can set it aside. I was talking about the typical stereotype for "gamers" who spend 3-4+ hours a day on games. The point where fun becomes bad for you and you miss out on too much because your spare time is wasted every day. And yes, for most people it's hard getting new friends the older you get, that is normal.

Sorry, Bragr - but again I think you are projecting your own lived experiences, your own anecdotes, onto others.

I routinely spend 3-4+ hours playing games every day. Yet I still maintain a job. I still study and improve myself. I do research in my field to maintain my knowledge of what is and isn't current. I go out on dates, hang out with friends, maintain healthy sleep schedules. Routinely make new friends - and these are all things I see with every friend of mine. Every acquaintance at the local card shops, LAN parties, and conventions (at least prior to covid).

It isn't difficult to maintain other hobbies and still play a lot of games. It isn't hard to make friends after the age of 30, or even 60. Often people who claim this are people who don't try or simply don't know the simple ways to do it.

Bragr

Banned
Sorry, Bragr - but again I think you are projecting your own lived experiences, your own anecdotes, onto others.

I routinely spend 3-4+ hours playing games every day. Yet I still maintain a job. I still study and improve myself. I do research in my field to maintain my knowledge of what is and isn't current. I go out on dates, hang out with friends, maintain healthy sleep schedules. Routinely make new friends - and these are all things I see with every friend of mine. Every acquaintance at the local card shops, LAN parties, and conventions (at least prior to covid).

It isn't difficult to maintain other hobbies and still play a lot of games. It isn't hard to make friends after the age of 30, or even 60. Often people who claim this are people who don't try or simply don't know the simple ways to do it.
You say I project, and then you proceed to project your own life story right away.

It's good that you can game a lot and do well, but the point is you could do a lot better, and there are too many gamers who game 3+ hours a day and have accrued a lot of problems over time. It's easy to be happy and fulfilled when you are are young. But unless you land a great job right after school, are in great shape, and have an amazing social life, you have to work at it, and you need free time for that.

You are completely wrong with the friends part. You meet people through other people, and if you got a job where you don't come across a lot of new folks, you have to go out and do new activities to meet people. For a lot of people, this is very hard when you have a job and normal day-to-day activities, you also need a personality to actually befriend people. The amount of people that are lonely is massive in today's society, and while gaming can become a great social tool to meet people, it can also work in the exact opposite way.

Unk Adams

Banned
While it's still an easy scapegoat in the media, it's nowhere near as taboo as it used to be in my location. It's more accepted than ever before.

Every home has consoles and both kids/adults that play them and if you don't have "something" that you do with gaming, you're the odd man out.

When I was growing up if you played games into your teens you were on the loser nerd team.
Ironically gaming was much better when it was a "loser" hobby. You had more creative and interesting games and the gaming media actually wrote about games. Now that normies invaded it most AAA games are unoriginal and broken and most gaming articles are now clickbait garbage.

BigBooper

ITT, sweeping judgements about how everyone else is living wrong.

I guess I don't understand the value in telling someone they could be better. Sure, if they have an obvious addiction and I can point out an obvious change they might not see that would ease your suffering that makes sense. That's not usually what happens though. Usually it's all concerning this nebulous idea of wasted time, as if there is a natural healthy amount of time to waste and then when you cross that line, you blew it.

Well, if you are talking about religion, I can understand the divine mandate of wasted time. You only have so much time to build positive karma, save people, try to obtain 'higher' things before you die and have hopefully acquired whatever higher form of spirituality you were seeking. These arguments never go there though. They are almost strictly humanist, "what do you want people to remember you for?" points. Why be concerned about that?

Why in the world would I care about how someone wants their family to view them? Hopefully, they view them in a positive light, but I don't imagine for most people when they die there will be too many people at the funeral thinking about how much time the deceased wasted. In those events, most people focus on the good memories for a while and then they move on with their life.

If you have stunted development that you want to correct or a friend that needs help, absolutely do something. Most people aren't wasting time though; they are just living life.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You say I project, and then you proceed to project your own life story right away.

Yes, you are projecting. That isn't to say I wasn't using my own anecdotes nor did I suggest otherwise.
It's good that you can game a lot and do well, but the point is you could do a lot better, and there are too many gamers who game 3+ hours a day and have accrued a lot of problems over time. It's easy to be happy and fulfilled when you are are young. But unless you land a great job right after school, are in great shape, and have an amazing social life, you have to work at it, and you need free time for that.
"you could do a lot better", go fuck yourself with this one. I am doing the best I can. I am enjoying my life. I don't need someone like you, who is ashamed of himself, to tell me that I "can do better".
You are completely wrong with the friends part. You meet people through other people, and if you got a job where you don't come across a lot of new folks, you have to go out and do new activities to meet people. For a lot of people, this is very hard when you have a job and normal day-to-day activities, you also need a personality to actually befriend people. The amount of people that are lonely is massive in today's society, and while gaming can become a great social tool to meet people, it can also work in the exact opposite way.

It isn't hard. You just keep making excuses.

Keep projecting, dismissing others, and standing on that high horse of yours. No point in discussing with someone whose head is firmly planted up their own arse.

cormack12

Gold Member

Like most here, I spend a lot of time on games, TV, and the internet, but I can't deny I would be better off if I was more productive, if I pursued a better career and spent more time with my friends. One thing you don't understand when you are young is how fucking hard it is to meet new people when you enter your 30's. When you are at school, you meet people all the time, when you get older, you really need a strong social network to come across new people. Because mostly you meet people through other people.

Aubrey-Plaza-parks-and-recreation-I-like-to-do-nothing-with-no-one-quote-macro-1413904725S.gif

Top Bottom