• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Gaming Mice still have a mouse wheel?

Mouse Wheel, YES or NO?

• I like It

• I like it but wouldn't miss it

• I don't like it but can live with it

• I don't like it

• FUCK MOUSE WHEELS!

Results are only viewable after voting.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
...You use the mousewheel to scroll pages on the internet. You can use a gaming mouse as a normal mouse for most of your daily computer use.

What is this thread? lol
Even just for games there are lots where a mouse wheel is invaluable. I play a lot of SupCom and the mouse wheel zoom in and out is essential. Buttons would be a nightmare.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
mom son GIF

Thabass

Even just for games there are lots where a mouse wheel is invaluable. I play a lot of SupCom and the mouse wheel zoom in and out is essential. Buttons would be a nightmare.
For sure. I play FPS games and use the middle mouse for grenades and weapons scrolling. Invaluable is the correct word for it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The title of this thread sounds like the wind up of a joke...

I wish more games creatively utilized the mousewheel like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

You could scroll up or down to change your walking/running speed. It was absolutely brilliant and contributed to the masterpiece that was Chaos Theory.

Anyone know of other cool mouse wheel functions in action games on PC?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
So, I thought about this, and I certainly can't be the only one who thinks this... but Mouse Wheels suck.
I hate Mouse Wheels...

I have how it feels to scroll with them,
I hate whenever a game uses Mouse 3 as an input,
I hate it when changing weapons is bound to the wheel (that at least you can change usually)

Not only that tho. Every Mouse I ever owned, without exception, had issues with the wheel after about 2 years of use. EVERY MOUSE...
Doesn't matter if it's a Razer, a Microsoft, a Roccat or any no-name brand out there.
The mouse wheel either doesn't register scrolls correctly anymore after 2 years (skipping inputs basically or doubling them), or the Middle Mouse button beneath will start having issues.
so the mechanism for the wheel has clearly not been perfected yet, and I kinda bet noone is actually trying to perfect it at this point either anymore.

So, why not simply have either 1 or maybe 2 raised buttons between Mouse 1 and 2 that have a good and easy to actuate click, and are as sturdy as any other button on the mouse?
One of these could simply be Mouse 3, so you can still use that to click scroll on website etc.

High end mice could have touch sensitive buttons that can be used as a touch scroll wheel as well, as to not lose the mouse wheel input completely on it.

So, do you like the Mouse Wheel?
Wash your hands from the cheeto grease and you won't have dead mouse wheels anymore

CamHostage

Wash your hands from the cheeto grease and you won't have dead mouse wheels anymore

Weird, right? I'm not saying it never happens, but my current mouse literally has a polished divot carved out from me clicking so much, but I have never had a dead mouse wheel (and I'm finnicky about junk affecting mouse performance; I remember taking the old rubber ball out and scraping the gunk off the old mouse tracking rollers all the time.)

Skifi28

After I'm done gaming, I always change to a different mouse so I can do regular stuff on my computer too.

Said no one ever.

lyan

I could see something might work by replacing the wheel with 2 rapid fire buttons (so you can still "scroll" up/down by holding the button) and a standard button for mouse3.

I wonder if someone opens a thread asking for a stickless fight stick 20years ago the responses will be similar to ones in this thread lol.

Gp1

I wish more games creatively utilized the mousewheel like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

You could scroll up or down to change your walking/running speed. It was absolutely brilliant and contributed to the masterpiece that was Chaos Theory.

Anyone know of other cool mouse wheel functions in action games on PC?

Rainbow Six "3" you can slowly open doors using mouse scroll.

Three

I do use the mouse wheel a lot, but it is a good point, could you replace it with something better?
Maybe just a small ball like a Mac mouse. An analogue stick would be a bit big.

How about something like a small linear fader, the kind you find on a mixing desk, and it would sit in the middle vertically between the two buttons as the wheel would but it would be sprung so it would return to the centre of its channel. You could the pull or push it. If it were analogue, that could be cool. Maybe...
They could replace it with a touch sensitive area akin to the steam controller "analogs"

valve-steam-controller_1074.0.png

Then you won't even need to lift your finger to another position

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why would any company release a mouse for gaming that could not also be used for other PC apps such as browsing the web?

I use apple's magic mouse. Love the natural phone-like scrolling. It just feels so good. Plus, the scrolling isn't stepped like a mouse wheel, you can literally scroll as slow or as fast as you want. It's completely granular.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Weird, right? I'm not saying it never happens, but my current mouse literally has a polished divot carved out from me clicking so much, but I have never had a dead mouse wheel (and I'm finnicky about junk affecting mouse performance; I remember taking the old rubber ball out and scraping the gunk off the old mouse tracking rollers all the time.)
My Dad turned it into a game for me and my brother
We always had the cleanest of track ball mice

Top Bottom