• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Gaming Mice still have a mouse wheel?

Mouse Wheel, YES or NO?

• I like It

• I like it but wouldn't miss it

• I don't like it but can live with it

• I don't like it

• FUCK MOUSE WHEELS!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Damigos

World of warcraft.
With my mouse wheel i do these actions :

Scroll up - zoom in
Scroll down - zoom out
Click wheel - interrupt
Wheel to right - dispell
Wheel to left - purge

So i think its useful OP

Paasei

Mechanical parts work better and longer than electrical. And if it does break, it’s easily fixable instead of having to throw the whole device away for one part that doesn’t work. Let’s keep the mousewheel, shall we?

Soodanim

Gold Member
it's not a bizzare thread when you actually understand the topic correctly, which noone seems to do
Everyone gets it, it’s just that no one agrees.

Even if we disregard all of the good points about the uses that replies made and pretend that all scroll where die early as you say (they don’t), people will still for the most part only have one active mouse at a time, and therefore the scroll wheel is necessary.

If this was a “Am I the one one” thread, this would be a rare case of “Probably yes”

VN1X

Banned
So, I thought about this, and I certainly can't be the only one who thinks this... but Mouse Wheels suck.
I hate Mouse Wheels...

I have how it feels to scroll with them,
I hate whenever a game uses Mouse 3 as an input,
I hate it when changing weapons is bound to the wheel (that at least you can change usually)

Not only that tho. Every Mouse I ever owned, without exception, had issues with the wheel after about 2 years of use. EVERY MOUSE...
Doesn't matter if it's a Razer, a Microsoft, a Roccat or any no-name brand out there.
The mouse wheel either doesn't register scrolls correctly anymore after 2 years (skipping inputs basically or doubling them), or the Middle Mouse button beneath will start having issues.
so the mechanism for the wheel has clearly not been perfected yet, and I kinda bet noone is actually trying to perfect it at this point either anymore.

So, why not simply have either 1 or maybe 2 raised buttons between Mouse 1 and 2 that have a good and easy to actuate click, and are as sturdy as any other button on the mouse?
One of these could simply be Mouse 3, so you can still use that to click scroll on website etc.

High end mice could have touch sensitive buttons that can be used as a touch scroll wheel as well, as to not lose the mouse wheel input completely on it.

So, do you like the Mouse Wheel?
So you browse GAF with page up and page down?

Not every brainfart needs a thread, man.

MetalRain

Mouse wheel is great for browsing the web, even gamers don't game all the time.

For gaming purposes I've remapped all other buttons in my mouse to be "mouse 3", and often use it to interact or throw granades or something.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
it's not a bizzare thread when you actually understand the topic correctly, which noone seems to do.
6fuxzl.jpg

Wohc

Banned
I couldn't play WOW without my mousewheel. Got bindings + Alt + Shift bindings for click, up, down, left and right. That's 15 buttons just for the wheel.

BlackTron

The OP's take is so bad that I'll now disregard any opinion of his past, present and future.

The nature of the poll reminds me of Afro Republican. Thread title asks one question, then you realize that it was just a rhetorical question with a poll that asks something different.

OP often appears sane and competent but often comes out with these most bizarre and strangely expressed opinions. For example he got really frustrated thinking we collectively can't read; it's not that he wants to take the scroll wheel away; it's that he wants to take it away AND replace it with something "better" Like uh, a few buttons.

Nah sorry, you actually just totally lost us at getting rid of the scroll wheel, we don't want to replace it with a few buttons, and we disagree with you. Get over it lol.

Reactions: Fuz

Zeroing

Banned
Had to use one of those for work. Words cannot describe how much I hate that thing.
I use 2 different mice and Apple one is mostly for web browsing or photo editing. They are not ergonomic.
My work consists of using a mouse all day and I was starting to get pain in my wrist, so I cannot imagine myself playing gaming using an mouse.

Kuranghi

Calm yer beans man, I was replying to the question you asked at the end of your OP:

Tongue Lucy GIF by MOODMAN

edit - in fact the other thing you put a question mark on wasn't even a question, how could I reply to this?:

"So, why not simply have either 1 or maybe 2 raised buttons between Mouse 1 and 2 that have a good and easy to actuate click, and are as sturdy as any other button on the mouse?"

If I was to attempt to answer this non-question I guess I could write:

"Yeah they could do that"

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

Last edited:

Allandor

I guess it is a layer 8 problem.
If every wheel of the mouses the thread creator used is defect than I guess he has a problem to operate or to maintain the mouse. Or he always buyes the cheapest mouse which might break a little bit earlier.

E.g. I have (and had) always sweaty fingers. My problems with the mouse and keyboards is, that because of that those get dirty quite easy and I must regular clean the things. But still, my mouse and keyboard worked for years. I just swapped my old microsoft sidewinder mouse for a logitech g502 because my old mouse was to "slow" with the new monitor. Even at max speeds (in the driver + windows) I had to move the hand a bit to far for my taste to cross the screen. The new mouse with much more DPIs I can handle much more accurate without big movements and still cross multiple screens.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Because it's a wonderful, tactile, and convenient input mechanic that is etched into the collective mindset of what constitutes using a computer.

sendit

You can’t realistically look at yourself in the mirror while claiming to be a PC master race and say “I hate the mouse wheel”.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What are you smoking, OP? Mouse wheel is the best thing ever. You can pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Barely any games have Mouse3 bound to anything by default. And any halfway decent gaming mouse will have at least a couple more buttons you could rebind that to.

Pro-tip: don’t allow jizz and Cheeto dust to get into the inner workings of the mouse wheel and it’ll last much longer.

So you browse GAF with page up and page down?

Not every brainfart needs a thread, man.
I'm not going to pretend that I don't use the mouse wheel while web browsing. I definitely do. But my DPI button is mapped to PGDN and I use it a shit ton as well. As mentioned in my earlier "nobody's gonna read all that shit" reply, I agree with OP that for certain games a mouse wheel is a hinderance and you could do something better with the space. Especially in FPS games. *shrug*

VN1X

Banned
I'm not going to pretend that I don't use the mouse wheel while web browsing. I definitely do. But my DPI button is mapped to PGDN and I use it a shit ton as well. As mentioned in my earlier "nobody's gonna read all that shit" reply, I agree with OP that for certain games a mouse wheel is a hinderance and you could do something better with the space. Especially in FPS games. *shrug*
What the fuck are you even talking about.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Logitech has the best mouse wheels. They have a button to toggle between tension and free spinning.

Replace with buttons? That's like Apple levels of smoothbrainedness.

Thabass

...You use the mousewheel to scroll pages on the internet. You can use a gaming mouse as a normal mouse for most of your daily computer use.

What is this thread? lol

Top Bottom