• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do open world games with poor controls keep getting a free pass?

Before MGSV came along I thought Sleeping Dogs was about as good as you could do open world. I mean it's not perfect and the driving is too arcade-like but the shooting is underrated (stringing together bullet time moves is a lot of fun) and the combat is one of my favorites; it aped arkham system but I liked it better.
Actually I agree about Sleeping Dogs... The gunplay and especially the sound feedback is really satisfying.

The slow motion sequences are satisfiyng in a sort of Max Payne 3 sort of way...
- Takedown to room clear entering the hospital
- Example going Hitman-style on several targets

The raw shootouts are super satisfying too, especially HUD less and nothing but bullets and blood...
- Deus Ex assault-to-shotgun combo in the dark hospital
Hospital or the club, the sort of John Wick esque club scene combat, are especially great:
- shooting up the club
- best firefight in the game imo

What is really the standout quality for me is how satisfying the Sleeping Dogs gunplay is HUD less.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I dunno man i felt like a proper pirate assassin in Black Flag and then a straight Ninja in unity. Like... if you just treat Unity like you would the first AC game you're gonna have a bad time. All the up and down traversal additions to the running controls made it so once you got the right muscle memory you didn't even need to know the city that well. I've definitely had times where I was falling from a high rooftop and made a decision about how to save my life on the way down. That's boss ass bitch shit.

Also Dragon's Dogma is bast and everyone here knows it.

I'll probably get shit for this, but I think you only need to see how many of those AAA open world games are western to know why they're not that good, as far as controls are concerned.

Well, when you consider that both Dragon's Dogma and MGSV are both Japanese developed open world games, you may be onto something.

But also, small sample size and everything.

The only time I feel it is appropriate to have a run button is when your gameplay design has the need to give the player a choice of running or walking and you have no analog stick on your controller. If you have an analog stick, there's no need for a run button at all. If your game only controls digitally (like say FPS on KB+M), then it's appropriate only if the gameplay requires two different movement speeds. Anything else, and you are just wasting buttons and increasing complexity for no reason.

But what if I want to walk around and soak up the atmosphere of the open-world without holding the analog stick down halfway? That would be some annoying shit.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You've motivated me to put more effort into understanding Unity's controls. If it's as overhauled as you say the game does an absolutely dreadful job of actually showing you.
I've said in the past that pacing is Unity's biggest issue. It absolutely expects you to learn and master them on your own and presents several missions to test you to see if you've learned anything,
-the boat chase
-the hot air balloon
-the tournament

being the most prominent examples. I would spend some time just testing out the controls and seeing what does what and learning to take full advantage of the parkour system.

Top Bottom